Do you use rudder?

With the russian aircraft its easier to see because they have a side slip indicator.

You can bank an pull, but you will see the black ball move.

To make a coordinated turn, you use rudder to keep that ball in the middle.

Not that the use of its really necessary though.

The F-15C does not have an FBW system. It has an augmentation system, but it's not an FBW - the pilot is still connected to the controls via the stick.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

In gunzo battles Im useless without rudders. Near stall speeds etc I need it to recover the bird.....and just use it a lot.

Agreed. I don't make lots of gunzo kills, but I have used the rudder to fine tune my EEGS and score the takedown on several occasions. I have a difficult time keeping it all smooth. Most of that is my poor skills-but it's also due to an imprecise & sloppy stick. Using the rudder for that final tiny lineup is the main reason I would score a kill.

I remember reading some accounts of Rudel, Germany's #1 tank buster. He destroyed hundreds of tanks on the eastern front. He would stay off the rudder when firing those big 37mm gunpods, cant see A2G in a hog or frog being any different as far as physics are concerned.

I personnally only use rudder for slow flight high AOA, coordinated turns, and of course crosswind landings. I try to always land with a crosswind, just more fun that way.

My favorite challenge is flying the PMDG 747 Queen of the Sky (in FS9) without autoland in heavy crosswind, fun stuff. Trying to control 600,000 lbs. is definitely interesting, you learn to love the term rudder authority. It amazes me that for many airline pilots thats a routine operation.

No.

Swept wings do not suffer from adverse yaw to nearly the degree that straight wing airplanes do. With sailplanes, the yaw is very high because the roll authority is so low. The rudder serves two purposes: 1) counter-acting the adverse yaw, and 2) creating a roll force that is actually more effective than the ailerons. This is also true of all airplanes at low speeds--in jets, the point where the rudder is more effective is called "crossover speed".

So in swept wing designs we have another force called "dutch roll". Unless the jet is very stable and benign, it will control dutch roll with an automated yaw dampening system (you can see this in action by watching the smaller "rudder" on the SU-25). In reallity, swept-wing Jets are "feet-on-the-floor" airplanes. Use the rudder to takeoff, land, and to point your weapons, not to coordinate turns. For some reason in the game, particularly in the SU25 (despite the damper), rudder is needed a lot more than in reality.

Smokin' Hole

Smokin' Hole

My DCS wish list: Su25, Su30, Mi24, AH1, F/A-18C, Afghanistan ...and frankly, the flight sim world should stop at 1995.

The F-15C does not have an FBW system. It has an augmentation system, but it's not an FBW - the pilot is still connected to the controls via the stick.

But you can fly it strictly FBW by holding the base of the stick firm with your legs and moving the top of the stick with your wrist.

Smokin' Hole

Smokin' Hole

My DCS wish list: Su25, Su30, Mi24, AH1, F/A-18C, Afghanistan ...and frankly, the flight sim world should stop at 1995.

In AFM planes yes, the other planes don't need rudder to make coordinated turns. They probably should, though, at least to some extent.

Lock on MUST have a dynamic campaign system with multiplayer capability AND proper toe-brakes.

My blog full of incoherent ramblings on random subjects: https://anttiilomaki.wordpress.com/