Purchasing the Persian Gulf Map for MP, who's buying it?

F900EX

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember the tons and tons of hype that surrounded Nevada. I couldn't believe how insane the community was over it's release. People waiting by their computers for hours and hours waiting for it to drop.

Very shortly after it's release, it became secondary to Caucasus by a huge margin. I know few people who really like and appreciate it nearly as much as they do the Caucasus map. I hear so many complaints about it and how it doesn't measure up. So it's not nearly as popular as ED's original free map. I personally don't fly Caucasus very often. I find the desert much more suitable to my enjoyment. But I am a gross minority. Every time I want to fly with someone on line (not lately as I cannot get on line any more), they always opt for Caucasus. Only a few go with Nevada and no one flies Normandy.

Then......Normandy had even more hype, more excitement than Nevada. You would have thought ED were releasing a world map of epic proportions with that release. All anyone could talk about was the WWII map for months on end. Look what a bust that turned out to be. No one flies it. I don't really fly it and I love anything WWII.

The release of this new map will be pretty unpredictable at this point. I purchased it and will probably fly it frequently given that I love the desert landscape. But it is absolutely impossible to speculate with any accuracy whatsoever if it's going to become anything more than Nevada or Normandy.

Personally....I don't think it will be anything more than Nevada. People tend to have short memories when it comes to this kind of stuff........

I remember the tons and tons of hype that surrounded Nevada. I couldn't believe how insane the community was over it's release. People waiting by their computers for hours and hours waiting for it to drop.

Very shortly after it's release, it became secondary to Caucasus by a huge margin. I know few people who really like and appreciate it nearly as much as they do the Caucasus map. I hear so many complaints about it and how it doesn't measure up. So it's not nearly as popular as ED's original free map. I personally don't fly Caucasus very often. I find the desert much more suitable to my enjoyment. But I am a gross minority. Every time I want to fly with someone on line (not lately as I cannot get on line any more), they always opt for Caucasus. Only a few go with Nevada and no one flies Normandy.

Then......Normandy had even more hype, more excitement than Nevada. You would have thought ED were releasing a world map of epic proportions with that release. All anyone could talk about was the WWII map for months on end. Look what a bust that turned out to be. No one flies it. I don't really fly it and I love anything WWII.

The release of this new map will be pretty unpredictable at this point. I purchased it and will probably fly it frequently given that I love the desert landscape. But it is absolutely impossible to speculate with any accuracy whatsoever if it's going to become anything more than Nevada or Normandy.

Personally....I don't think it will be anything more than Nevada. People tend to have short memories when it comes to this kind of stuff........

And I would agree with you once players get of the hype train, one of my concerns is by adding more maps it separates the small % of players who play MP. As you mentioned NV would be a good example, very few servers and even less players playing on it, as I mentioned in my first post.

I don't think the Persian Gulf map and NTTR are really comparable. If you're wondering why nobody flies on the NTTR, it is because of how limited it is with possible missions. Plus the setting never feels right for any operation that is outside of the training realm. Whereas the Persian Gulf map is ripe for possible missions, both historical and fictional. Its timeframe can span from the 80's to present time. It's the perfect home for the Hornet, Tomcat, F-5, MiG-29, MiG-21, etc... I think it will compete very well with the Caucasus. Especially since many of us love CV operations, to which the Persian Gulf is currently the only realistic option for that.

"I'm just a dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude."

I purchased both the map and the FA -18C. I wanted the map originally because it looked like a fun place to fly helicopters. I wanted the plane as it is the closest thing to our Canadian CF-188's and I had never purchased a plane in DCS before, just helicopters. And it was my birthday so why not... :music_whistling:

I just bought it. What time is she supposed to release?

Intel Core i5-4690K Devil's Canyon Quad-Core 3.5GHz (cooler master hyper 212 evo CPU FAN), ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO (Intel LGA 1150) motherboard, 16GB PC2400 DDR3 RAM, ASUS STRIX GTX 970 4GB Video Card, Creative Soundblaster Z Pci-E Sound card, 750W Power supply, MS Force Feedback 2 Joystick, Trackir 5, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 surround sound.

I prefer Nevada to Caucasus mostly. Aside of providing rough look-alike's for kandahar, bagram, iraq, etc. the map just performs better, and I expect PG to perform better still since it's the very latest technology, and be less of a pretend.

And when not pretending, it's been a highly likely combat zone since like forever, as-is.

I'm going to be on this map like a fat kid on a box of ring dings.

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Have fun. Don't suck. Kill bad guys. 👍

https://discord.gg/blacksharkden/

I have plenty of aircraft to play with, but I want places to fly over and land on. I bought it when it first became available for pre-release purchase. Waiting..... waiting .... patiently.....[ less and less patient].......

I got it and enjoy flying over all of the terrains. I play multiplayer but definitely fly alone learning the systems and practicing. It's always more fun if I have new and interesting areas to fly in. I think the problem with NTTR is the that it's mostly relegated to a training area and not a combat oriented area. I hope the Persian map is utilized more since it is definitely a believable and viable area for low and medium intensity conflicts.

I bought the preorder because of all the possibilities it presents. I've done some MP, but with the exception of a couple servers, I've been very disappointed with all the problems the servers seem to be experiencing, so I mostly do solo. I think most of the servers are horrible if not on the release version, so I think it'll be a while before PG is on most servers.

We're converting over to DCS fully when the F18 is released. We'll be the VFMA 115 Silver Eagles. I remember you flying with us. Submit an application, see what happens. You already know how realistically we fly.

I was in VMFA-115 in Iwakuni, Japan in 1971. We sent VMFA-334 with it's F4-Js back to the States ( they were too new to be allowed into Vietnam) and received VMFA-115 fron Vietnam with its F4-Bs. I even selected VMFA-323 as my squadron in the logbook because that was my first squadron in 1970. VMFA-323 will be the skin on my F/A-18C

When all else fails, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!

i-7 8700K Coffee Lake 5 GHz OC CPU, 32GB Corsair 3200 RAM, GTX1080 Ti 11Gb VRAM. Controls - Thrustmaster Warthog H.O.T.A.S., Saitek Pro rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Oculus Rift S, Rift CV1

I believe Normandy and NTTR suffer from what PG will suffer from. Cheap bastards not buying maps. So many people want free stuff, they just won't pay for some things like maps. Did your friends not play Normandy and NTTR because they didn't like them, or was there a good portion that didn't want to spend the money on the maps because well... Caucuses is good enough and $40 is a lot of money to spend on terrain you most likely won't be paying much attention to. All it takes is one glance at server population and you can clearly see that Caucuses is populated and NTTR or Normandy consistantly have one thing in common. 1/25 players, or 1/12 players, or 1/2 players or 1/10 players. NOBODY is playing the maps on the few servers that run them. I simply think the majority of people that play this game are not buying the maps at all. Those of us here that get excited when the new maps come out do not represent the majority of players IMHO.

Edit: Or perhaps not, I just checked the servers and most of them are on PG map, even the ones I usually play on. Come on ED, get this damn map out on steam so we can play this game!!! How much testing needs to be done before you can release it on steam?! This is ridiculous. Maybe PG is popular because it's actually relevent to current events.

NTTR and Normandy are dead just as would be expected.

Edited by falken76

I have it though I have doubts it will get used much in MP due to people who won't buy it. Been building a mp mission though. It's another fantasy map but the layout is great for competitive MP.

System specs: i5-10600k (4.9 GHz), RX 6950XT, 32GB DDR4 3200, NVMe SSD, Reverb G2, WinWing Super Libra/Taurus, CH Pro Pedals.

60 people on the 104th on launch day, when Steam users don’t even have it and many had such slow download speeds they couldn’t fly yesterday...I’d venture that MP counts will be just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Guest Guest

I bought the PG map in EA or pre-order, whatever you want to call it. I intend to spend a majority of my time on it in multiplayer with my virtual squadron. The combination of the PG map along with the Hornet or Tomcat in a multiplayer environment will be epic.

Edited by Heavy-D69420

Guest Guest
Bought it as well, I was just summing the amount of all modules purchased during the years and I've spent 300 USD already....

I think this game has became reeally expensisve expecially with the hornet price :D

So far I've spent about $250 USD on modules and terrains. I think the F-14 will be more expensive than the Hornet, probably $100 if Heatblur doesn't do EA.

This is purely an observation with a question...

At the time of this post lots of Caucasus servers with the top 5 active servers having about 134 players on

Nevada Test range Map, Top 5 active servers with only 9 players between on all 5 with 4 players been the most active on one server.

I know a lot of work goes into the maps, but when 80% of my time is played on MP servers and I bought the Nevada map no one seems to use, I'm trying to justifly if its worth the expense for the Persian Gulf map.

I see Mags show the Persian Map of during the F-18 Videos, looks nice and all but do you players intend to purchase ? or will stick with Caucasus ?

I play MP mostly, rarely SP except for training.

I'll wait and see what the servers I attend do.

Normandy I only played with the Burning Skies WWII era guys and Nevada the F99th. I rarely use either one but have them.

Blue Flag server interests me lately and sometimes the 104th . I read talk that Mustang (104th) was going to be using the Persian Gulf map.

Edited by DieHard

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

60 people on the 104th on launch day, when Steam users don’t even have it and many had such slow download speeds they couldn’t fly yesterday...I’d venture that MP counts will be just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully they stay up, Normandy and NTTR are hardly used at all, probably because they're not free and require purchase. By the time it's released on steam if it's EVER released these servers will probably have switched back to Caucusus.

I would agree, there seems to be a lot of as you mentioned partially finished modules and maps vs complete high polished modules. It's a common thing around DCS and then you wait for years if ever to be complete, the M2000c would be a very good example of this.

Simple fact is this...you're going to remember how WELL it is finished a lot longer than how FAST it was finished.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.