Purchasing the Persian Gulf Map for MP, who's buying it?

F900EX

single player is too boring..it is nonsense to play such a simulator in "single" with the current AI status....

You're missing a great part of DCS. There are a lot of really enaging and immersive SP campaigns. Some even allow to shape up the skills much better than flying MP - in example the Oilfield campaign for Mi-8. For the most part, the public MP is not even close to a SP DLC campaigns in terms of creating realistic scenarios.

Most DCS folks do SP only as stated by ED themselves. And I'm just repeating here what I've seen written elsewhere. How is that negative, especially when coming from someone who does both all the time?

The issue with repating the message is that the original information can get easielly distorted. You don't have too look for an example too far. Some time ago someone from ED wrote on forum "we'll not give MiG-23 away" (in meaning to other dev company). If you'll look on the forum you'll find probably hundrets of posts of people clayming that ED has confirmed to be activelly working on MiG-23.

I'll definitively won't be getting it anytime soon.

I hugely regret buying Normandy, have barely flown on it, mostly due to the fact that it was a ghost town online in over a year from its release.

And during that time i kept an eye on the server browser noticing that NTTR wasn't very populated either.

I've no interest in SP. So Caucasus is the way :thumbup:

I'd like to see the amount of hours made by MP users vs SP users.

I see your point. Especially after the release of 2.5 and new Caucasus map it's hard to find Normandy and even NTTR servers.

I think however that the Persian Gulf map will get more attention, including a stable MP player base. The reasons are simple.

First, people need some refresher from the Caucasus. While 2.5 brought improved look of the Caucasus giving it a second life it's still esentially the same map with the same topography.

I mean how long can you play the airquaque betwen blue and red in the mountains?

Second is that the Persian Gulf doesn't have a burden of being specialized as Normandy (WWII) or NTTR (training). It'll allow to setup way more scenarios without braking the immersion.

The latest Wags stream showed some unique aspects of the map which at least made me much more interested in it then I initially was.

1. The map doesn't seem to be soo small as we thought.

2. The islands with airbases will be an interesting diversity.

3. There are some big unique ground targets like rafineries - which will create a lot of oportunities for interesting missions. Hope to see some more of relistic ground attack missions in MP than just "capture the airbase".

4. Hils at the straits coast will make for some cover but nowever close as good as the Caucasus mountains. Other than that the map seems to be generally flat which will make the technological advantage of modern airframes more aparent.

5. Based on above I hope there will be a chance to see more servers with period aligned airframes. Without possibility to use the terrain to hide, older units like MiG-21 and F-5 will have small chances to survie on the same map with F-15 and Su-27's.

6. With less terain masking possibilities helicopters life will also most probably get harder.

7. The map is more natural for carrier operations than Caucasus. I would see it a "to go" map for planes like F/A-18, F-14, AV-8.

Edited by firmek

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote

The latest Wags stream showed some unique aspects of the map which at least made me much more interested in it then I initially was.

1. The map doesn't seem to be soo small as we thought.

2. The islands with airbases will be an interesting diversity.

3. There are some big unique ground targets like rafineries - which will create a lot of oportunities for interesting missions. Hope to see some more of relistic ground attack missions in MP than just "capture the airbase".

4. Hils at the straits coast will make for some cover but nowever close as good as the Caucasus mountains. Other than that the map seems to be generally flat which will make the technological advantage of modern airframes more aparent.

5. Based on above I hope there will be a chance to see more servers with period aligned airframes. Without possibility to use the terrain to hide, older units like MiG-21 and F-5 will have small chances to survie on the same map with F-15 and Su-27's.

6. With less terain masking possibilities helicopters life will also most probably get harder.

7. The map is more natural for carrier operations than Caucasus. I would see it a "to go" map for planes like F/A-18, F-14, AV-8.

If its period correct F-5's and Mig-21's will definitely be on the Iranian side and MiG-29's would be on the red side not Su-27's.

I think the best period for this map would be to limit the weapons in western jets to just Sparrows and disable JHMCS and 9X's on the Hornets and have a 80's Operation Praying Mantis type engagement and that would bring both sides to relative parity with a lot of sparrow (and phoenix) shooters on each side.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Spudknocker DCS World YouTube Channel!!

RTX 2080 Ti - i7-7700K - 32GB RAM - DCS on 1TB EVO 970 M.2 SSD - Logitech X56 HOTAS

Well I'll be definitely purchasing the map, while yes, primarily for MP, I will use it extensively in SP. Though usually I only use SP for training to hone my skills for MP.

Until we get a Dynamic Campaign, I see MP being the future for DCS.

I think with SRS really starting to build it's user base on servers. I'm flying a lot more with people whom want to coordinate rather than turing the server into a free for all.

"I'm just a dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude."

do we know if this map will be available in conjuction to f18 release or after f18 goes public?

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

i am gonna buy it 1st day, i am so sick of caucasus, need new fresh air.

Cant wait to ply it!!

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

This map is awesome but... looks small ugh

| A-10C | MiG-21bis | Hawk T1.A | L-39 Albatros | F-5E | Ka-50 | Mi-8 | NTTR | CA | SU27 | M2000C | F-86F | AV-8B | F/A-18C | Mig 15 | Mig 19|

Specs

Intel i7-9700k

msi GTX 2060 Gaming Z

msi Z390 Gaming PLUS

16gb RAM

Hotas Warthog

• ED Team
This map is awesome but... looks small ugh

Looks are deceiving, I have been having some great flights in the Persian Gulf, enjoying it. :thumbup:

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Had to be done...

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Yep, I'm planning to pick it up.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Just wondering, most people make references to various fixedwing when talking about this map, but no words about how enjoyable/boring it will be for us rotorheads. Have both NTTR and Normandy and somewhat regret both purchases, looking good and all but to boring and flat in the long run and no SP content. Seldom used.

Are there any rotorheads (i.e. mainly fly helicopter overall, seldom fixedwings) among the beta testers? Any testimonials for us low and slow guys?

(flying sitesing in Dubai doesn't count)

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5