Purchasing the Persian Gulf Map for MP, who's buying it?

F900EX

This is purely an observation with a question...

At the time of this post lots of Caucasus servers with the top 5 active servers having about 134 players on

Nevada Test range Map, Top 5 active servers with only 9 players between on all 5 with 4 players been the most active on one server.

I know a lot of work goes into the maps, but when 80% of my time is played on MP servers and I bought the Nevada map no one seems to use, I'm trying to justifly if its worth the expense for the Persian Gulf map.

I see Mags show the Persian Map of during the F-18 Videos, looks nice and all but do you players intend to purchase ? or will stick with Caucasus ?

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be buying it, but not with any genuine expectation that I'll be spending a lot of time in multi-player.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

I will buy it, and MP is not critical to me, as I mostly fly single and on missions of my own design ... tough I will wait for it to be on discount (unless it has a pre-release discount) :)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Definitely going to buy it with the expectation that it will see only SP and limited private MP use.

Now, once WWII assets are more filled out, and some of the more adventurous ME gurus get involved, I imagine there will be a pretty sweet Afrika Korps scenario up and running using select parts of the SOH map as pretend Tobruk, El Alamein, etc.

Edited by Dino Might

I for one will be playing it online and offline but I remember reading somewhere that only about 5% of DCS users actually play online. The online players are nowhere near a true representation.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

QUIT SAYING THIS its not frigan true

Developer of DDCS MP Engine, dynamicdcs.com

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=208608

According to ED, it is true. And they've said so a couple of times already.

I said this in a different thread but hey:

"Multiplayer should be a gem and the main stay of this sim, single player, playing against the same thing/AI over and over,I really don't understand this mentality, it doesn't make ANY sense to me, I started the DDCS channel 3 months ago, my discord has 1421 registered unique players and my server ALONE has had 2998 unique UCID's (ED identifier) on my server since I reset the database 3 months ago, by your statement ALONE, you say there is 59960 DCS single players out there that played in the last 3 months (saying that all the multiplayer players have played on my server at least once, which also isnt true, its just a small subset), I am pretty sure that 5% percentage is NOT correct.(im not making numbers up, I have it all in my database if you want to see it.)"

Developer of DDCS MP Engine, dynamicdcs.com

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=208608

I will be getting it day one. Well at least soon after.

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

According to ED, it is true. And they've said so a couple of times already.

Could you share the a link where ED said so? Not being provocative just trying to be factual.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

"Multiplayer should be a gem and the main stay of this sim, single player, playing against the same thing/AI over and over,I really don't understand this mentality, it doesn't make ANY sense to me, I started the DDCS channel 3 months ago, my discord has 1421 registered unique players and my server ALONE has had 2998 unique UCID's (ED identifier) on my server since I reset the database 3 months ago, by your statement ALONE, you say there is 59960 DCS single players out there that played in the last 3 months (saying that all the multiplayer players have played on my server at least once, which also isnt true, its just a small subset), I am pretty sure that 5% percentage is NOT correct.(im not making numbers up, I have it all in my database if you want to see it.)"

Your numbers don't invalidate the statement that MP numbers are much smaller than SP numbers. I've also seen ED saying this (not sure if its 5%), but can't remember which threads.

Either way, looking at the multiplayer server browser's player and server counts will show you that there are nowhere near enough MP players to provide ED with enough money or incentive to spend the effort making DCS, which leads me to believe that there must be a pretty large SP userbase out there that provides the means.

At the time of this post lots of Caucasus servers with the top 5 active servers having about 134 players on

Nevada Test range Map, Top 5 active servers with only 9 players between on all 5 with 4 players been the most active on one server.

I know a lot of work goes into the maps, but when 80% of my time is played on MP servers and I bought the Nevada map no one seems to use, I'm trying to justifly if its worth the expense for the Persian Gulf map.

I see Mags show the Persian Map of during the F-18 Videos, looks nice and all but do you players intend to purchase ? or will stick with Caucasus ?

I will definately buy the Persian Gulf map on day 1 and as I'm paying MP 80-90% of the time I have the clear expectation to play this map in MP. I think a problem with Nevada is its status as a training environment, while Persian Gulf will be a combat theatre just like Caucasus. At least that is what I dislike about Nevada.

Also, I'm curious why you omitted the Normandy map in your comparison?

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

100% buying this day 1, and once the mission devs have time to design new missions, I fully expect the big servers to run missions here (on rotation).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Day 1 purchase for me. Looks amazing.

PC: ASROCK Z370 Gaming K6 | Intel i7 8700K | GeForce 2080TI | 32GB GeSkill 3200 RAM | GeForce 2080TI | 500GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 | 1TB Samsung 860 EVO M.2

FLIGHT STUFF: Rift S | Warthog Base | Virpil Base | Hornet Grip | A-10 Grip | Cougar Grip | Virpil F-14 Grip | Cougar MFD's | A-10C UFC | Saitek Flight Panels | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

First of all, slightly off topic, and I'm not coming at you personally, but who exactly are you to say what should and shouldn't be the mainstay of any game, let alone a sim? That's like saying "Oh, you can only play Poker with blue-coloured dice only, if anyone plays with other coloured dice, they're playing it wrong". You like Multiplayer? Cool! High five! You have over a thousand people on your Discord? Great! Outstanding! You go girl... Or guy. Whatever.

The thing about this Sim is that it's set up for all kinds of players. Single player, Multiplayer Co-Op, Multiplayer PvP, realism weirdos (I'm one of them), more "arcade"-style fans, stock purists, modders - almost everyone is represented here. That's a big drawcard few other games, let alone sims, can boast to have. To say that PvP is the ONLY way, or the main way, to use this sim is extremely short-sighted.

I don't know the numbers, nor do I much care. As long as people are flying the sim, people keep buying their products and ED and co keep churning out quality modules - that's what I care about.

Now, back on topic. I will definitely be buying Persian Gulf. I used to run my missions out of Vaziani (and pop over the hills into a fictional REDFOR country) but I've just switched to Nevada, flying out of Nellis while REDFOR flies out of Tonopah, to get used to desert/sand. I might change tact once the Gulf is released and start flying against, or for, Iran as opposed to a fictional country.

Probably are more than 60k DCS players in the past 3 months. Do the math on module price vs how much it takes to run the studios.

I'll be holding off to see what the MP servers look like once it lands. Right now, other than a lot of Red Flag campaigns, NTTR is worthless (to me).

Devils Canyon i7 4790K @ 4.9GHz |16gb DDR3 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080Ti | Samsung 860 EVO

Thrustmaster Warthog | Virpil WarBRD | Virpil TM-50CM2 Grip | VKB-Sim T-Rudder Mk.IV | Acer X34A (21:9) | Oculus Rift S

A-10C | AJS-37 | AV-8B | C-101 | F/A-18C | F-14A/B | F-5E | KA-50 | L-39 | M-2000C | SA342 | Spitfire LF Mk IX | UH-1H

ED themselves have said the MP crowd is a minority. And whether you believe it or not, they're actually the guys with the numbers.

But never mind. No personal stake in this one way or another since I do both, so I think I'll just leave this discussion now. S!

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

Yep, I will be buying it and setting up various single player missions on it. Rarely go near multiplayer.

After joining a server, starting up and taxying to the active, I observed a worthy come blasting out of a shelter in full afterburner, cross my taxiway a wingspan length in front of my hog, at right angles to the taxiway; zoom across the grass, across the active runway, across more grass before finally wobbling into the sky.

Right there right then was when I decided multiplayer was not for me. :megalol:

Edited by Tinkickef

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

I have said this before but I think it is a true statement (at least I hope it will be), but I think that the Hornet, Tomcat and Phantom coming out coupled with the Persian Gulf Map will help boost DCS multiplayer by a lot.

The reasoning i see for this is that you have two sides, Iran and lets say NATO that have full fidelity jets on this map, the IRIAF gets F-5's, F-4E's, F-14A's, MiG-21BIS's (stand in for F-7), Mirage F1 and a smattering of FC3 Su-25's and MiG-29's

The NATO/Arab side has F-14A/B's, F/A-18C's, M2000C's, AV-8B's, A-10C's and others with a few FC3 F-15C's and A-10A's thrown in.

I think the Persian Gulf map is a good way of getting around the hurdles involved with making Full Fidelity Russian aircraft. I also think that having some sort of built in VoIP in DCS would would be a huge boon to multiplayer DCS, its very cumbersome and awkward having to download a seperate program for voice communication and not every server uses the same program, that is cumbersome and I'm sure chases a lot of people away from DCS Multiplayer.

Also DCS world will be hugely boosted by having a flyable F/A-18, F-14 and F-4 these are hugely iconic aircraft that at least in the US will draw far more players (IMHO) than a A-10, M2000C or AV-8B if just because they are so well known. I think the only aircraft that could top the F/A-18 and F-4 would be an F-16 in sheer draw and recognizably.

I will certainly buy this map and I am definitely hoping that the map will help to boost multiplayer!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Spudknocker DCS World YouTube Channel!!

RTX 2080 Ti - i7-7700K - 32GB RAM - DCS on 1TB EVO 970 M.2 SSD - Logitech X56 HOTAS

I play most of the time off line. I love the idea of MP but there is a huge learning curve to enjoy traversing off line. It takes me a long time to learn how to use these beautifully complex models and that is a considerable challenge in itself. If I went out on MP now I would likely be gone in a few seconds. I will certainly get the Persian Gulf map because I do love these maps as interactive battlefield learning environments. One day I may hesitantly peep out into MP, but studying these incredible warplanes in a complex AI map battlefield learning environment is a very challenging and enjoyable matter in itself.

You used to find only NTTR maps online for the longest time in the Open Beta, even after Normandy release. I think most people simply took a break from NTTR when the revised Caucasus was released and to enjoy carrier ops with the Harrier.

I still fly over NTTR from time to time.

When Persian Gulf drops it will become the most popular option for some time to come.

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT