[WOULD NOT BE ACCURATE] Does the F-18C have an MLWS?

D4n

Yeah, since M2000C has this, will DCS F-18C also get it or does real F-18C not have MLWS? (vs IR)

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

Don't remember such a thing. And as far as I know, it wouldn't need one. Since they were only good against MANPADs, and the Horntes attack doctrine meant it was high up in the air. Also, sneaking up to a carrier with a stinger and shooting out/inbound aircraft is not the most realistic prospect. So I would be really surprised if it had or even needed one.

DCS: MiG-23

[sIGPIC]

[/sIGPIC]

Make it happen, and take my money! :D

Don't remember such a thing. And as far as I know, it wouldn't need one. Since they were only good against MANPADs, and the Horntes attack doctrine meant it was high up in the air. Also, sneaking up to a carrier with a stinger and shooting out/inbound aircraft is not the most realistic prospect. So I would be really surprised if it had or even needed one.

Yeah, no I don't think the classic Hornet was ever fitted with a MWS. Super Bug may be different?

How do you use Hydras from high altitude or perform show of force up high? :huh:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/design/q0177.shtml

F-18A_VMFAW-121_SA-7_damage1991.jpg

http://deacademic.com/dic.nsf/dewiki/1555045

CAS is part of the job :music_whistling:

Edited by jojo

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

Well you can use APKWS for the first one, but as for a show of force... drop a JDAM nearby I guess? Haha.

APKWS has not been around for long. Hydras are used by Hornets for much longer. Regarding show of force and JDAMs, I hope that's just a joke.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

APKWS has not been around for long. Hydras are used by Hornets for much longer. Regarding show of force and JDAMs, I hope that's just a joke.

Stay calm of course I am joking ;)

I am well aware of how new it is but my intended point stands - APKWS and its kin seem to be really changing the game for ~70mm rocket employment. No point getting down and dirty inside MANPAD and trash fire range just to deliver dumb munitions if you can be laser-beam accurate (literally) from well outside of it instead.

FluidDetailedLiger-size_restricted.gif

Edited by Boogieman

APKWS hasnt even been deployed to the fleet yet... lol.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

The only MLWS Navy and Marine Hornets have is their wingman. As for APKWS, it would require an updated OFP as it wasn't even a concept when 13C was originally issued to the fleet. The last OFP I remember was 22X back in 2013 and I'm sure it has been updated since then as well.

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

The only MLWS Navy and Marine Hornets have is their wingman. As for APKWS, it would require an updated OFP as it wasn't even a concept when 13C was originally issued to the fleet. The last OFP I remember was 22X back in 2013 and I'm sure it has been updated since then as well.

Interesting, thanks for the info. Looks like USMC birds are carrying them nowadays.

Anyhoo, back to the topic at hand ;)

Edited by Boogieman

I remember back in the days when the Hawg was the only module I had (FC3 and Ka-50 were out there as well).... I was so used to having a MWS.

When I started finding out that all these aircraft (F-15/16/18 ) don't have it, I was like

giphy.gif

To me it was a no brainer, especially when you have sneaky russians with ETs and R-73s...

But, I got used to it

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

The only MLWS Navy and Marine Hornets have is their wingman.

Confirmed with Jello from the fighter pilot podcast, no MLWS.

Tornado3 small.jpg

I remember back in the days when the Hawg was the only module I had (FC3 and Ka-50 were out there as well).... I was so used to having a MWS.

When I started finding out that all these aircraft (F-15/16/18 ) don't have it, I was like

giphy.gif

To me it was a no brainer, especially when you have sneaky russians with ETs and R-73s...

But, I got used to it

I'm not knowledgeable on the details, but I suspect the MLWS would not be very effective in A2A scenarios. Coverage area and range probably isn't very large. I wonder if what we have on the Hawg is accurate in terms of picking up launches from (sometimes) many miles away.

I'm not knowledgeable on the details, but I suspect the MLWS would not be very effective in A2A scenarios. Coverage area and range probably isn't very large. I wonder if what we have on the Hawg is accurate in terms of picking up launches from (sometimes) many miles away.

but F16 and F18 are used in CAS and attack roles, given thier multirole nature. it is very surprising especially with all the Studies published on the danger of Heatseakers and IR based manpads especially.

Other nations caught on faster like Uk with the EF typhoon and France with the RAfyale do have them. Even M2000D and M2000-5 have some sort of MWS.

OFC MWS are installed on the Boeings Proposed ADvanced Super hornet, F22 and the F35A Family, so its no like US designers neglect or ignore the need of MWS. it just seems that as this poin us US was not willing to do any more upgrades on legacy aircraft, because It certainly would be a indispensable sensor.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

but F16 and F18 are used in CAS and attack roles, given thier multirole nature. it is very surprising especially with all the Studies published on the danger of Heatseakers and IR based manpads especially.

Other nations caught on faster like Uk with the EF typhoon and France with the RAfyale do have them. Even M2000D and M2000-5 have some sort of MWS.

OFC MWS are installed on the Boeings Proposed ADvanced Super hornet, F22 and the F35A Family, so its no like US designers neglect or ignore the need of MWS. it just seems that as this poin us US was not willing to do any more upgrades on legacy aircraft, because It certainly would be a indispensable sensor.

You Forget the F/A-18C is a 70's Design,

EuroFighter, Rafale, F-22, F-35, are at least 15 years newer in the grand scheme of things.

You cant just slap a MWS on an existing Airframe, it needs to be part of the design (sensor placement etc)

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs