When to actually use the Jammer?

MarkP

Hi,

im learning the M2000C right now, and ofc read the Manual but i dont know how to operate the ECM properly.

When do i activate the Jammer and when dont?

Am i visable when going sneaky with Radar off but Jammer on? Would the Bandit see me on his Radar or on his RWR?

Enable or Disable at dogfighting?

I know that F15 has Home on Jam Missles, but what if im dogfighting any other plane? Enable?

Please help :)

Cheers!

Main-Module: F-16C, AH-64D

Maps: Syria, Persian Gulf, South Atlantic, Caucasus, 1944 Normandy, NTTR

Hardware: VKB Gunfighter mk.2 Pro, WinWing Orion F16, VKB T-Rudder, HP Reverb G2

PC Specs: Intel 13900K, ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-5800 RAM, GeForce RTX 4090, Win 11x64

The jammer in DCS is just a screamer.

It hides your distance to target, but little else.

Imagine it like someone standing in a crowded room and suddenly he starts screaming at the top of his voice.

You know he is there and in what direction, only how far away is the question.

Long story short: the jammer hides range information, but announces your presance to everyone remotely looking in your direction on radar.

And if you are close enough to go guns, or heater for that matter, the enemy radar will be so close it can easilly burn through your jamming with raw power, rendering ECM pretty much useless.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A310F met Tapatalk

The jammer of the Mirage is implemented the same way the jammers of the other planes are in DCS World - a very basic way.

In DCS World: against human players

Jammer off/Radar off -> they have to find you with their radar,EO or eyeball/ no RWR indication for others

Jammer off/Radar on -> they get an RWR indication

Jammer on/Radar off -> they will get a direction from their radar without range at (very) long distances to your position, if they burn through your jammer they will see you like the jammer was off/no RWR indication

Jammer on/Radar on -> you are the light in the dark, all sensors will at least show a direction towards you

When do i activate the Jammer and when dont?

outnumbered, sneaky and low -> jammer off

number advantage, high flying CAP -> Jammer can be useful to hide distance/altitude

This can be discussed very long, better try different stuff yourself

Am i visable when going sneaky with Radar off but Jammer on? Would the Bandit see me on his Radar or on his RWR?

Any hostile will see you on their radar quite easily.

Enable or Disable at dogfighting?

To my knowledge the jammer has no effect in close range (but for others getting to the fight from a distance).

I know that F15 has Home on Jam Missles, but what if im dogfighting any other plane? Enable?

You burn through the jammer before you can launch effectively in the F-15 (maybe not at 40k?). So no need to treat the F-15 different. When you get launched on, the difference for you between HOJ or TWS is that the bandit might go radar off after the launch -> no 15 on the RWR. The missile warning tone will still come on late when the AMRAAM turns on the onboard radar.

AI -> they often know very well where you are but the jammer might delay a launch

(in the ME you can set different launch distances for AI, too)

GL

This helps alot, thanks!

Hardware: VKB Gunfighter mk.2 Pro, WinWing Orion F16, VKB T-Rudder, HP Reverb G2

PC Specs: Intel 13900K, ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-5800 RAM, GeForce RTX 4090, Win 11x64

Flying high, where missiles have long range, ECM prevents R-27ER/AIM-120 from being fired at max range, because the max range of the missile becomes greater than the burn-through distance.

To be honest, I only know this is true when flying the F-15 or Su-27. I have no experience in the Mirage, but I suppose it should work.

Edited by PeaceSells

My DCS modding videos:

Modules I own so far:

Black Shark 2, FC3, UH-1H, M-2000C, A-10C, MiG-21, Gazelle, Nevada map

• 2 weeks later...

How about SAM Sites or Manpads? Does the Jammer affect the launch or the hit-chance of the SAM?

undestood. Thanks guys for the declaration :thumbup:

appreciated

It makes the targetting process longer, but AFAIK once it shoots, there is not much that the jammer can do. Having said that I had some luck with breaking the lock of an Shilka at long range (long for Shilka), but never had any with SAMs after they fired.

IN game there is a "burn through" range (range when the enemy radar can detect you echo despite the jamming), closer than this range, the jamming doesn't work anymore.

If you are jammer off, and the enemy (fighter or SAM) shoot at range > burn through, you can break his lock by turning on the jammer.

If you are already jammer on, the enemy can:

- shoot on "home on jam" mode

- wait for burn through to shoot.

From my test, for AA fighting: Super 530D range < burn through for altitude < FL300.

I didn't tested burn through for SAM.

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

given the topic from OP is in regards to m2kC ECM implementation, I am curious as to why no one brought up the fact that m2kC has two different jamming modes.

Has anyone tested if there is a difference between these two modes of operation in the m2kC ECM?

Two jamming modes ? How do you change between the two ?

Because AFAIK there is only to jam state: Jamming and Not jamming

Helljumper - M2000C Guru

Helljumper's Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK3rTjezLUxPbWHvJJ3W2fA

Two jamming modes ? How do you change between the two ?

Because AFAIK there is only to jam state: Jamming and Not jamming

Part 10 of Chuck's Mirage Guide.

I understand it says "the PCM mode is currently not implemented", but I believe it has been implemented since the writing of that guide.

Because I've selected that mode before, and I couldn't get solid STT track and launch on bogey when in that mode. In fact it flooded my HDD with jamming signals I couldn't even get STT lock.

Hope this helps.

98827853_m2kcECM.thumb.jpg.6628717aaf3266866771077a0315b662.jpg