upgrade 55" tv vs VR

Lenux

I don't understand why so many people consider, there won't be a huge improvement between the Vive and Vive Pro, i mean the resolution

2160 x 1600

and

2880 x 1600

Well you are talking a significant outlay of cash to get a complete Vive Pro setup with the Lighthouse tracking system. I think it is somewhere around 1200 USD or so. And the only real benefit is in that higher resolution. Lot of money to spend for one's first VR setup. But hey like I said if money is no issue you may want to consider that. Or you could get the cheaper Vive, and then if VR is for you and want to stick with it can always upgrade with just the Vive Pro headset only little later on.

I am happy still with my Rift, got it in Jan of 2017- I use it on a daily basis, and I am waiting on more of a second generation product myself. Something that brings yes more resolution but more technology as well along with wider FOV, but I know I will still be waiting a while for what I want my next VR device to be. And will need better GPU's to run it as well.

In the meantime though I sure as heck am getting my money's worth out of my Rift.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I don't understand why so many people consider, there won't be a huge improvement between the Vive and Vive Pro, i mean the resolution

2160 x 1600

and

2880 x 1600

The Samsung Odyssey also has a resolution of 2880 x 1600 and while on paper it seems like a lot more pixels, in reality you still have a huge screen door effect and lots of jagged edges. You really want double the resolution for DCS to be playable without any trade-off's. With current VR you are trading image crispness/detail/situational awareness for immersion. Which is fine for many people and many play styles, but there is a trade off. In 9-12 months it's likely the trade-off won't exist or not be anywhere near as dramatic :-)

9-12 months ???

what do you mean ?

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

dburne, what was your previous monitor, before the VR?

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

1920x1080x144hz.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Vive or Rift? Rift... Spend the $200 savings on something else. DCS has native support for Rift only. All others I believe require using Steam which is another process running in the background that could be freed up.

I won't disagree about the cost but given the capability of modern CPUs along with DCS, itself, not using them, to any significant degree, the comment about a freed up process is just silly.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

1920x1080x144hz.

If you haven't seen DCS @ 4k, you don't know what you are missing. VR is great but resolution is king.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

The thing with me is, yes resolution is nice - very nice. Heck even my 1080p monitor looks much sharper and clearer than my Rift - big time.

The immersion for me, was just overwhelming from day 1. And still is today.

Now this is a very subjective thing for each individual. Until one tries it they really won't know.

I have seen 4k users that once trying VR could not go back to monitor. I have seen triple screen users say the same. At the same time, I have seen the opposite for both, they just could not live with the lower resolution.

For me when I got the Rift, it was like wow instead of looking at the image on the monitor, I am in the world itself with everything being full size. First time I saw that spinning prop in the Spit in front of me, I was blown away. Turning my head all around and seeing nothing but the game environment, was just incredible to me. Taking off and watching the ground beneath me get smaller as I climbed, the depth perception was fantastic.

This is why I have not gamed on my monitor since that day in early Jan of last year. In fact I have no games on my rig now that do not have VR support.

But again, that is just me and my experience. When it comes to preference, it is a very subjective thing and just depends on the individual and what they get out of it.

I can say for me, I held off getting a Rift as I had decided I was going to wait for next generation, but finally I said to heck with it and gave it a try. And I am so glad I did.

The ideal situation would be if one could actually try it out first and see what they thought about it. Even try it out in DCS first, but obviously that would be very hard to do.

Don B

9-12 months ???

what do you mean ?

I'm expecting that we'll have a 2nd generation of VR headsets around Xmas time, which will have double the resolution of the current headsets, and they will also likely have foveated rendering etc It's not a long time to wait for significant increase in usability. :-)

A few hundred pixels doesn't seem to make much difference, but a doubling of the pixels (and specifically PPI) will do the trick

I won't disagree about the cost but given the capability of modern CPUs along with DCS, itself, not using them, to any significant degree, the comment about a freed up process is just silly.

Silly? Probably, but I'd rather not have to run a program so I can run another program if I don't have to. As it stands, I only need fire up SRS then DCS and I'm off! After 18 years of dancing with Falcon and BMS it's rather refreshing lol.

If the Vive was $399 then I would say get it. However another thing about the Rift that Vive is missing is integrated speakers and Mic. Normally I would be skeptical of these being built in but I've been pleasantly surprised at the quality of both.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

If you haven't seen DCS @ 4k, you don't know what you are missing. VR is great but resolution is king.

I tried DCS with 4K, I tried it with 3X 27(?)" + 2 8" MFDs, I've tried it with my current monitor Predator X34 in 3440x1440 (I think).

But it pales in comparison to Rift. So for me, VR's 3D situational awareness is king. Bug certainly, DCS looks wonderful in 4K!

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

What about the Vive Pro with the Vive tracker?

I could pre-order the Vive Pro, now, and the Vive tracker, as well

Is this a good idea?

But it pales in comparison to Rift. So for me, VR's 3D situational awareness is king. Bug certainly, DCS looks wonderful in 4K!

Situational awareness of the cockpit is great. SA of the ground is great. SA of the other aircraft is horrible. It's a combat flight sim and if you can't see the other combatants then it is only good for eye candy.

Situational awareness of the cockpit is great. SA of the ground is great. SA of the other aircraft is horrible. It's a combat flight sim and if you can't see the other combatants then it is only good for eye candy.

Isn't "realistic" air combat mostly BVR nowadays? :p

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

I have right now a 55 inches 4k TV as the main monitor, but I'd like to upgrade to 65 inches

Would it be worth the upgrade, or I should better wait for the next VR?

Thank you

I would buy a larger screen. I have VR and while it is 'the future', after a while you will miss the crisp detail of 4k. I have bounced back and fourth from each, and deep down I know that VR is not meeting the HD standards I have been used to.

People will see better VR goggles 'at some point', who knows when, in the future perhaps, but one has to bear in mind that even with a really nice rig and with the current low resolution you will not be simming away happily, as deep down you will remember the good old 'locked steady 60fps' days with 4k resolution and go back!

Even when the the resolution of VR is increased you will still be struggling with a smooth and fast experience at a massive cost.

With all the detail that has been put into DCS there is always a voice in the back of my head when I am playing in VR saying 'this looks really dodgy'. Yes it is more immersive but at the cost of gameplay and low end visuals. No thanks, I tried, it was fun but the demands outweigh the cost and the cost may end up outweighing the demand.

So enjoy the beautiful textures and high frame rates and the screen size is up to you, I can understand some people going smaller as a large screen means you actually see more detail which is not always a good thing, less is more as they say, however I play on a 50 inch and I like it.

4.8 I7, 1080, TMW&T, SSD, VKB MK.IV.

I would buy a larger screen. I have VR and while it is 'the future', after a while you will miss the crisp detail of 4k. I have bounced back and fourth from each, and deep down I know that VR is not meeting the HD standards I have been used to.

People will see better VR goggles 'at some point', who knows when, in the future perhaps, but one has to bear in mind that even with a really nice rig and with the current low resolution you will not be simming away happily, as deep down you will remember the good old 'locked steady 60fps' days with 4k resolution and go back!

Even when the the resolution of VR is increased you will still be struggling with a smooth and fast experience at a massive cost.

With all the detail that has been put into DCS there is always a voice in the back of my head when I am playing in VR saying 'this looks really dodgy'. Yes it is more immersive but at the cost of gameplay and low end visuals. No thanks, I tried, it was fun but the demands outweigh the cost and the cost may end up outweighing the demand.

So enjoy the beautiful textures and high frame rates and the screen size is up to you, I can understand some people going smaller as a large screen means you actually see more detail which is not always a good thing, less is more as they say, however I play on a 50 inch and I like it.

I have been VR user 1,5 years now. No voices in my head , but thats good because i work as psyhiatric nurse, i leave voices to my patients :D

Above post may contain humor :D

Oculus CV1, Odyssey, Pimax 5k+ (i5 8400, 24gb ddr4 3000mhz, 1080Ti OC )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I had VR for almost 2 years and had a high end rig to back it up. A few weeks ago my 1080ti melted my motherboard [it was from the card and not overclocked] and now I've got to go back to TrackIR. Seriously considering quitting DCS now because VR is just that immersive, and the cost to rebuild to previous specs is 3 grand.

Now that Vive Pro is available, and reading all the reviews , videos, opinions about, i'm thinking about ordering this

I would like to know if i can use my own headphones, with the Vive Pro ( Shure 1540 )

https://www.amazon.com/Shure-SRH1540-Premium-Closed-Back-Headphones/dp/B00FR8DMR8

If i do the order, what else do i need, guys ?

I never used VR before, so i have no controllers, tracker, etc

I do play 95 % flight sim, and some sim racing as well

Thank you

Now that Vive Pro is available, and reading all the reviews , videos, opinions about, i'm thinking about ordering this

I would like to know if i can use my own headphones, with the Vive Pro ( Shure 1540 )

https://www.amazon.com/Shure-SRH1540-Premium-Closed-Back-Headphones/dp/B00FR8DMR8

If i do the order, what else do i need, guys ?

I never used VR before, so i have no controllers, tracker, etc

I do play 95 % flight sim, and some sim racing as well

Thank you

For a seated experience like DCS, why spend >$1,000 when you can get a complete setup with the identical displays for $400 in the Samsung Odyssey? I know some will say it’s not available in Europe, but check out the Mixed Reality TV YouTube channel for a dude in Germany who gives all the details about how to import one for a moderate premium.

Disclaimer: I am a very happy Odyssey owner. The only negative issue I’ve had is when I’ve tried to play a non-seated (room scale) game and had to pull a long bow behind my back, and momentarily lost my controller tracking. What percentage of my overall playing time does that represent? <1% probably.

i9-9900K @5.1Ghz w/ 32GB RAM, RTX2080 Super w/ 8G, Samsung Odyssey VR HMD, 1 TB SSD, VKB Gladiator MKII, TM TWCS throttle, Saitek Pro Yoke, Saitek Throttle Quadrant x2, CH Pro Pedals, Obutto Ozone

I have no idea about Samsung Odyssey, compared to Vive Pro, generally speaking

Are those controllers enough / OK , for flight sim ?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/d/samsung-hmd-odyssey-windows-mixed-reality-headset-with-motion-controllers/8w91r774pdkk/9swg?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Edited by Lenux

Okay, i followed your advice, dmwierz

Thank you very much

I think, it's much better to get the Odyssey instead of the Vive Pro

• 7 months later...

I just started playing on a 65 inch Samsung 4K TV.

My question is should I play DCS @ 3840 x 2 160 because of the desktop native resolution is the same? Or change computer resolution to 1920 x 1080 and then change in Game to the same?

Definite 5 to 10 FPS drop when playing in 38 40 x 2 160 but it looks so much better than 1920 x 1080.

TIA

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

23 yrs USAF MSgt retired AMMO Munitions Tech

Red Flag 4 times

Ryzen 5 2600 @ 3.7, FE RTX 2070 Super, 32 gig ddr 4 @2933, 500gig m.2...850 evo 240 ssd, 1 tb 7200rpm storage drive, X56 HOTAS,

Track Ir 5-retired....HP Reverb v2...VR

F 16C blk 50

F/A-18C lot 20

Community A-4E

Mirage 2000