Please bring back object size settings!

Greekbull

+1 as well. curious what other combat flight sims do to get around this major issue? wonder if a similar system could be emulated :pilotfly:

Falcon BMS = smart scaling

IL2 series , bit same as above ^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oculus CV1, Odyssey, Pimax 5k+ (i5 8400, 24gb ddr4 3000mhz, 1080Ti OC )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This Model Enlargement feature has already been through the cycle of tried and gone. There are huge threads elsewhere to read all about it. I don’t imagine it’s coming back.

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

• 1 month later...

I have huge problems seeing anything after the 2.5.x rollout. Is ED working on Dynamic Scaling to increase Model Visibility or is this a lost case? Although the previous project for model enlargement was flawed I hope ED don't stop trying to provide something that works for all resolutions up to 4K.

I have huge problems seeing anything after the 2.5.x rollout. Is ED working on Dynamic Scaling to increase Model Visibility or is this a lost case? Although the previous project for model enlargement was flawed I hope ED don't stop trying to provide something that works for all resolutions up to 4K.

Yes please, it think it is a must for VR according to HDM resolutions we have now. Why not implement again like 1,5 years?

I have no problems spotting fighter sized aerial units from 22+ nautical miles away, provided they have the sky as background. With either the sea or ground as background, it is quite a different story.

Maybe it's just a matter of contrast rather than object size?

This is in VR by the way, with PD at 1.8 .

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

Falcon BMS = smart scaling

IL2 series , bit same as above ^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shhh , be carefull ... remember on these forums no other sims exist

+1 to having object size returning

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests

I have no problems spotting fighter sized aerial units from 22+ nautical miles away, provided they have the sky as background.

That's the problem, you see things at distances you shouldn't, due to the infamous black dot, and don't see them when they get closer. Current visibility system is inverted.

My DCS modding videos:

Modules I own so far:

Black Shark 2, FC3, UH-1H, M-2000C, A-10C, MiG-21, Gazelle, Nevada map

I really can't see nothing without labels...but i don't like it as it seems as i am cheating...luckly i found a good label mod with paint just a spot on far object in an almost realistic way..the spot disallears when near...

Anyway in my humble opinion model enlargement like the one implemented in Falcon is the best and most realistic aid

Inviato dal mio ONEPLUS A5010 utilizzando Tapatalk

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

Model visibility is the weakest feature of DCS. Aircraft just vanish at medium-close range.

Please, please, can I dig up the old threads where we were told to stop bringing up smart-scaling because the model enlargement sprites were a better solution because they were newer?

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

Please, please, can I dig up the old threads where we were told to stop bringing up smart-scaling because the model enlargement sprites were a better solution because they were newer?

In smart scalling you don't control the size of the objects, it's automatically controlled by the sim to a realistic level according to distance. I never used the enlargement sprites of DCS, but if I remember correctly from the menu, it gave you the option to choose the amount of amplification. Maybe that's what produced all those enormous cartoonish sprites that people complained so much.

My DCS modding videos:

Modules I own so far:

Aircraft just vanish at medium-close range.

I’ve never seen this happen. You should post a track or screenshot to the bugs section if this is actually occurring. Targets seem to “vanish” only because you’re actually losing sight of them, it’s not likely a game problem.

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

I’ve never seen this happen. You should post a track or screenshot to the bugs section if this is actually occurring. Targets seem to “vanish” only because you’re actually losing sight of them, it’s not likely a game problem.
Maybe you never experienced an higher resolution display...i play at 2560x1440 and i cannot see planes below me and ground objects without labels...back in the 1080p times was easier...but sometimes i still fly in falcon bma where smart scaling can do an huge difference and it doesn't require labels (probably also because in the f16 we have ground radar speaking about ground objects)

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

Maybe you never experienced an higher resolution display...i play at 2560x1440 and i cannot see planes below me and ground objects without labels...back in the 1080p times was easier...but sometimes i still fly in falcon bma where smart scaling can do an huge difference and it doesn't require labels (probably also because in the f16 we have ground radar speaking about ground objects)

Actually I’m running 2160p. It is not a disadvantage to use higher resolution. Quite the opposite.

And this forum is not about comparing games. I think everyone knows the rules.

Actually I’m running 2160p. It is not a disadvantage to use higher resolution. Quite the opposite.

I'm running 2560x1440 now and when I zoom in exactly where the aircraft is I can see them at about 10 miles. Then if I zoom back in they disappear. This may have something to do with the display settings or the GPU settings but I have not been able to locate any solution. My only solution now is to run the game in 1280 which makes everything terrible to watch but the enemy aircrafts is somewhat more visible but far from reality. I would like ED to really get closer to reality on this for all resolutions.

This is all old news and I’m sure you’ve seen this before. But at 1:43 Wags explains why DCS wasn’t going to use “smart scaling”.

This was three years ago so again, this subject is just dead and buried. Time to move on...

Edited by SharpeXB

And this forum is not about comparing games. I think everyone knows the rules.

You've been informed by several individuals using 4K that it is indeed a problem. Is it possible your specific setup allows you to see objects that others cannot with theirs? In reality every system is different and has its own advantages and disadvantages. It would seem by the length of this one thread (there are many more stating the same) that people are indeed having problems at higher res and in VR. To be productive, an acceptance of others technical issues is mandatory.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

You've been informed by several individuals using 4K that it is indeed a problem. Is it possible your specific setup allows you to see objects that others cannot with theirs? In reality every system is different and has its own advantages and disadvantages. It would seem by the length of this one thread (there are many more stating the same) that people are indeed having problems at higher res and in VR. To be productive, an acceptance of others technical issues is mandatory.

I don’t think it’s a technical issue. It’s a matter of gameplay habits or practice. And expectations. It’s clear that another sim has biased some players with regard to this. The aids given to players in a different game just haven’t been incorporated for this one.

Wags already explained three years ago (see video above) why scaling won’t work in DCS so it’s way past time to keep asking for it.

Edited by SharpeXB

I don’t think it’s a technical issue. It’s a matter of gameplay habits or practice. And expectations. It’s clear that another sim has biased some players with regard to this. The aids given to players in a different game just haven’t been incorporated for this one.

I would suggest the majority of posters are familiar enough with computer systems to understand that it is not a gameplay habit.

We all get that for you life is good. Accept that for a good number of people something like scaling would be a significant boost to the overall experience.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

Wags already explained three years ago (see video above) why scaling won’t work in DCS so it’s way past time to keep asking for it.

It is not just another sim that is using it....but professional simulators do (like the mitary ones)...and there is a reason for that...i remember reading a study about that some years ago...

It is not just another sim that is using it....but professional simulators do (like the mitary ones)...and there is a reason for that...i remember reading a study about that some years ago...

Yeah I’ve seen that. Military or pro simulators aren’t meant for entertainment. Their graphics are terrible by “game” standards. Also that paper was written in 2003, pretty much the dark ages of display technology. Scaling is a relic of the CRT era, an aid for players running small 400x600 monitors.

And again. Watch the video linked earlier where Wags explains why scaling won’t be used in DCS. It’s a dead issue unless something has changed since he stated that.

I would suggest the majority of posters are familiar enough with computer systems

I’m not so sure about that either. There’s a lot of terrible advice regarding graphic settings around here. Making the problem worse, not better.

Edited by SharpeXB

Yeah I’ve seen that. Military or pro simulators aren’t meant for entertainment. Their graphics are terrible by “game” standards. Also that paper was written in 2003, pretty much the dark ages of display technology. Scaling is a relic of the CRT era, an aid for players running small 400x600 monitors.

Smart scaling has nothing to do with image quality or monitor quality. It's simply to ensure that the model will be shown to you at the correct size you would see it in real life. Because for normal and even big monitors, at the usual distance from your eyes, in the usual game default field of view, everything is shown to you in a reduced size. So, unless you are using a field of view that matches your combination of monitor size and distance from screen (and this almost never happens unless in VR or some rare cases), the only way to display objects at real-life size is smart scaling, it doesn't matter what year you're in.

My DCS modding videos:

Modules I own so far:

Smart scaling has nothing to do with image quality or monitor quality. It's simply to ensure that the model will be shown to you at the correct size you would see it in real life. Because for normal and even big monitors, at the usual distance from your eyes, in the usual game default field of view, everything is shown to you in a reduced size. So, unless you are using a field of view that matches your combination of monitor size and distance from screen (and this almost never happens unless in VR or some rare cases), the only way to display objects at real-life size is smart scaling, it doesn't matter what year you're in.

According to Wags the DCS engine cannot scale the models without inducing other bad effects like changing the RCS so this is a moot point. See the video linked earlier.