Conformal tanks for F-15C

DaveRindner

I remember when we got them in ai they were great for the pilots they loved them but until we got the kinks worked out they were a pain. They learned to install and forget as they were not as interchangeable as designed. So once a pair were fitted to an airframe they rarely got installed on a different aircraft. The thing about the side tanks vs the drop tanks is they don’t have the drag and restrictions on monuverours as a drop tank the drop tank was designed to get the plane to the fight be dropped the the fighter can fight and head home whereas the side tanks allowed the fighter to fight with the tanks attached and the refill after the fight so that allowed them to fight longer.

Hey Blackey, I didn't know the F-15C had drop tanks. I always thought they had external auxiliary fuel tanks instead. I know that a few of the WWII fighters had "drop" tanks.

In aviation, a drop tank (external tank, wing tank, or belly tank) is used to describe auxiliary fuel tanks externally carried by aircraft. A drop tank is expendable and often jettisonable. External tanks are commonplace on modern military aircraft and occasionally found in civilian ones, although the latter are less likely to be discarded except in the event of emergency.

"There are only two types of aircraft, Fighters and Targets." Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It wasn’t just Iceland and Alaska that got Fast Packs (Conformal Tanks) [ATTACH]229994[/ATTACH]

The 18th FW at Kadena got them, as well. scan0076-2.jpg

Hardware: MSI MPG Z790 EDGE WiFi MB, i9-13900K @ 4.3GHz, 64GB DDR5, NVidia RTX 4090 24GB DDR6X, 2TB M.2 970 EVO Plus, 1TB SSD 850 EVO, Windows 11 Pro, HP Reverb G2, Tobii Head Tracker, TM Warthog HOTAS, TM F/A-18C Grip, TM Viper TQS Mission Pack, CH Pro Pedals.

Modules: A-10A, A-10C, F/A-18C, P-51D-50, Fw 190 A-8, Fw 190 D-9, Bf 109 K-4, Spitfire IX, Mosquito FB VI, AJS-37 Viggen, M-2000C, F-86F, F-15C, F-15E, F-5E, F-14A/B, L-39C, MiG-21bis, MiG-19P, MiG-29, SU-27, SU-33, AV-8B, Mi-8MTV2, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D, Ka-50, UH-1H, SA342, A-4E-C, NTTR, PG, CA, Normandy, Channel, Syria, Marianas, South Atlantic, WWII Assets Pack

They’re actually very desirable now considering that, in the near peer war the F-15 was designed for, Tankers are going to be shot down/unavailable, almost out of the gate. That’s why the CFTs are being reintroduced on new F-15Xs and F-15Cs that still have lots hours left on them.

DCS F/A-18C :sorcerer: