Stutters

The best thing that happened in IT during the past 10 years was the Solid State Drives, SSD.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Even better the next generation is already there (NVME can achieve up to 3,500 MB/s compared to 500 MB/s for SSDs). And when Intels Optane takes off (right now it is still ridiculously expensive) I expect that loading times will be a thing of the past. [there is a snag though that most current boards can only support 1 of those drives as they go into the PCI Express slots]

One of the best computing experiences I had recently was when I for the first time copied large multi GB folders from one SSD to another, and it was finished almost immediately. This is comparable to my first computer with 1 Gbyte RAM, when I accidently selected and doubleclicked a whole list of files and all the different accociated programs popped up simulataneously.

Hmm....

stutters - it might seem silly, but can you please try to disable V-sync (make sure its not on in gpu driver settings) and tell us if it helped ?

Yes ignore the screen tearing. It is just the test.

Long pauses are let me guess in multiplayer right? ;-)

I noticed it usually happens when player with new(as not yet seen in match) type of plane joins in.

Game needs to load the model texture and so on. Resulting in pause.

You can minimize this by manually preloading all textures into a memory.

How ? Encyclopedia ;-) look at everything and watch your mem. usage.

hope it helps.

Hmm....

stutters - it might seem silly, but can you please try to disable V-sync (make sure its not on in gpu driver settings) and tell us if it helped ?

Yes ignore the screen tearing. It is just the test.

Long pauses are let me guess in multiplayer right? ;-)

I noticed it usually happens when player with new(as not yet seen in match) type of plane joins in.

Game needs to load the model texture and so on. Resulting in pause.

You can minimize this by manually preloading all textures into a memory.

How ? Encyclopedia ;-) look at everything and watch your mem. usage.

hope it helps.

I've tried turning V-sync off - didn't make any difference :doh:

and stutters are happening om single player, haven't tried MP yet on 2.5 :)

I do, however, experience the worst stutters when new aircrafts are entering me bubble - rendering dogfighting and such impossible - in campaign missions which are scripted of course.

SB11

Edited by silentbob11

CPU: intel Core i7 9700K ~ 3.6 GHZ , nVidia RTX2060 SUPER, 32GB 3300 Mhz RAM, DELL 24" LED. Windows 10

No :) Virtual memory is something that the operating system controls. But the good news is, if you only move the game to the SSD it will already be very beneficial on its own right.

So than install windows on the SSD as well would do the trick? (planning on moving to Win 10 instead of my trusty WIn 7 anyway

SB

CPU: intel Core i7 9700K ~ 3.6 GHZ , nVidia RTX2060 SUPER, 32GB 3300 Mhz RAM, DELL 24" LED. Windows 10

So than install windows on the SSD as well would do the trick? (planning on moving to Win 10 instead of my trusty WIn 7 anyway

SB

That would be one of the most complicated ways one could think of, but I guess it would work because the Windows pagefile defaults to C: And if you buy your first SSD only now, then a reinstall of Windows would be a good idea, because the reduced boot times are a major factor with SSDs.

Btw, I already gave you a link where it is explained. Simply take 5 minutes and read it ;) It's not rocket science at all.

https://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/simple-ways-to-increase-your-computers-performace-configuring-the-paging-file/

I am willing to help you brother, but you must now a) buy a SSD and b) find the windows where you configure the pagefile. Hint, it looks like this:

https://11986-presscdn-0-77-pagely.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/optimized-paging-file.jpg

P.S. If you want to migrate to Windows 10 then yes, do it first.

P.P.S. And make sure you dont want one of those. They are still 5 times faster than SSD but require a controller card http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/product/consumer/ssd960/ prices are falling too, the 500GB version has recently moved below 200€

[url=http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/product/consumer/ssd960/][/url]

Edited by Burning Bridges

So, apparently nobody seems to know where are those stutters coming from.

i5 4590@3.70

24GB ram

GTX1070OC

2xSSD (separate for Win+pagefile, another one has DCS)

and I get the stutters - few frame hiccups every 2-3 seconds.

VR or non-VR - no difference;

Nothing in the game settings changes it;

Nothing in the nvidia settings changes it;

Newest or older GPU drivers - no difference;

Overclocking, running on default, or underclocking the CPU makes no difference;

Erasing the game, and installing from scratch - no change;

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"If a place needs helicopters, it's probably not worth visiting." - Nick Lappos

maybe some of you guys experiencing freezes and such and nothing helps maybe you guys are infected with Bitcoin miners or some other form of nasties..

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

maybe some of you guys experiencing freezes and such and nothing helps maybe you guys are infected with Bitcoin miners or some other form of nasties..

Don't think so, for example, on a multiplayer server we all have the same "freeze" at the same time

Don't think so, for example, on a multiplayer server we all have the same "freeze" at the same time

Well the MP Freezes can be if someone joined or loading objects among other things.. Very volatile on MP so too be expected..

I am talking if you get massive freezes in Single player every couple seconds..

For the most part on my rig if I am playing single missions I don't see stutters and massive freezes like I been reading..

If your specs are up to par there might be something else causing it..

I am pretty much stutter free.. I have no idea why so many are having such huge issues.. I am not just talking to you I been reading these posts and sometimes the uses system specs just are not even meeting minimum...

EDIT:@DEcibel what is the amount of RAM on your system??

Edited by The_Nephilim

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

Well the MP Freezes can be if someone joined or loading objects among other things.. Very volatile on MP so too be expected..

I am talking if you get massive freezes in Single player every couple seconds..

For the most part on my rig if I am playing single missions I don't see stutters and massive freezes like I been reading..

If your specs are up to par there might be something else causing it..

I am pretty much stutter free.. I have no idea why so many are having such huge issues.. I am not just talking to you I been reading these posts and sometimes the uses system specs just are not even meeting minimum...

EDIT:@DEcibel what is the amount of RAM on your system??

16GB

I really can't tell about single since I rarely play single. What I can says is that DCS always had a bit of frame freeze or shutter on multiplayer and it was never really fixed. It have become worst after 2.5 where some of the those frame freeze for up to 4 or 5 seconds

Edited by Decibel dB

16GB

I really can't tell about single since I rarely play single. What I can says is that DCS always had a bit of frame freeze or shutter on multiplayer and it was never really fixed. It have become worst after 2.5 where some of the those frame freeze for up to 4 or 5 seconds

Well I seen a 1-2 second freezes in MP Usually only when someone joins in.. I think CBU-s still have this issue too..

Next time it happens I will try and note how long the stutter is.. I know they have issues with the net code and it has been reported and I think ED Is aware they just need to look into it and get it fixed..

We could help by reporting bugs like that and upload our log files to help if they need them to decipher the problem we should send them in..

I see a lot of posts about this issue we should make a bug report for freezes in MP so we can all go there and upload our logs and tracks..

I've had good FPS with 2.2, mostly having it at stable 60 FPS VSYNC with my config NVidia GTX1070, dedicated Samsung SSD for DCS, 16GB DDR3, Intel i7-2600K@3.4Ghz. With 2.5 Caucassus I got bad stutters that everybody is talking about here. I've had good FPS again and tuned my graphic settings for 50-60 FPS, but no matter what I did I could not get rid of the stutters every 3-5 seconds and sometimes freezes for some 10-15 seconds, I tried everything - affinity tricks, sync tricks, driver reinstal, DCS reinstal, repair, MSAA tweaks, Shadow tweaks, FOV tweaks, killing all win processes, deleting caches, settings, disabling ethernet, different Nvidia settings, observing GPU loads (at 80%), processor loads (30-40%) etc. Always when I thought I solved it, the game has shown me that I did not and most of these tweaks were just placebo at first. The only real thing that has indeed helped me after all that exhausting testing, tweaking and nerves was disabling shader cache in NVidia settings with 391.01 driver. Now I get mostly 60FPS with smooth gameplay, I do not know, but it might helps someone, try disabling the shader cache, it puts some more strain on the processor but for me DCS is more GPU heavy.

have you tried deleting all Shader Caches in your system.

DCS has it's own folder, so does Nvidia and Windows too. Each one needs it's own therapy.

It's gotta be something variable, as some suffer from it and some don't.

-clean-reinstall GPU ( deletes NV shader cache, if there is any )

-clean sysdrive with Win10 onboard tool; incl "DirectX Shader Cache" option ( deletes OS Shader Cache or whatever they mean with in that menue )

-delete DCS Shaders

That should delete all Shaders from DCS, Win10 and Nvidia.

Let it load and compile again and see if it helps.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Your first step should be:

Run MSI Afterburner to monitor your Vram usage. Don't use more than 3.5GB.

Use more than 3.5GB generate a serious performance drop or stuttering: https://www.pcgamer.com/why-nvidias-gtx-970-slows-down-using-more-than-35gb-vram/

Generally it's not a bad idea to do this. But DCS 2.5 uses ~3.2 - 3.5 GB already in an empty Caucasus mission at the utterly lowest settings possible while almost looking worse than Flanker 2.5. The slightest increase of any graphics setting in DCS will break that barrier already. So practically, following this advice is nearly impossible. And by the way, the stutters aren't even gone though they are less long in duration, but still noticable. At any graphics setting that looks OK (~medium at least) the 970's VRAM usage is totally locked to 4096MB constantly.

Just to mention this, I'm talking micro stutters that usually are under a second, just sometimes peaking above that. I'm glad not to have multi-second long ones at the very least dealwithit.png

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Okay, I'll throw my hat in the ring. Loaded 2.5 last night and wow....I'm lost for words.

I declined the update because I wanted to just try things a few minutes before bed.

It took six or seven minutes to load a module (I actually thought it had crashed) and had massive stuttering when it did start up. Frame rate seems smooth as I'm panning around the aircraft, but it's stuttering like mad.

My specs are in my signature, but generally runs things pretty well. I have a feeling that I need to sit down and do some serious tinkering.

Previous versions of DCS (I last installed about a year ago) ran very well with only the odd stutter. I appreciate that 2.5 is massively improved etc and things will be different.

Now, are there any "usual suspect" settings that I should take a look at? The first settings I should reduce to get it running smoothly. I'm only running a 1680 x 1050 monitor as well, by the way.

I appreciate any advice because I'm saving for the Harrier module and it'd be nice to have the system sorted, ready for when I pull the trigger.

i5-12400F, 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX, MSI RTX4060 8GB, 1TB Corsair Pro NVME.

Finally, I can run DCS!!!

new SSD first impressions

So, been away for some time and been testing my new 500 GB SSD and I must say: WOW!

stutters are almost GONE some micro stutters may occur mainly in high activity scenes but nothing like the pre-SSD era...

my settings are all on ultra and so far it's all good on the F-15 side. will be trying to see how the A-10c is holding on with TGP on and all and further observation.

so far I did nothing except putting my game on SSD, no page file no nothing, just a clean install an a fresh SSD.

SB11

I'm getting lag / mega-stutters while online. Both in the Su-33 and the M-2000C. I do have an SSD, and the stutters don't seem to happen offline.

Also, during one of my mega stutters, I probably hit the ground, which probably caused the game to crash. I say probably because I was turning, but near the ground when it froze, but unlike my previous stutters, the game crashed. So that's why I'm thinking Stutter + Lawn Darting = Game Crash.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm running an SSD, and I am getting major stutters whenever I release weapons, especially in NTTR. These stutters are so bad it interferes with the bomb release sequence on the Harrier. It should be dropping in pairs (as that is only possible in EA), but the stutter will sometimes cause only one bomb to come off the rack.

RE: Shutter!

Hi gents

while 2.5 looks great I've been struggling with massive stutters like many others in this forum as I can see.

while my FPS are good even in very high settings, the stutters are HUGE even in low settings, some of them are 10 -30 seconds freeze ups, rendering this beta version unplayable for me.

question is - what's causing it? is it my aging CPU? (i7 2700 at 3.4 mHz?) is it my RAM (16GB) my HD (should I get an SSD?) or my GPU? (GFX 970)

probably - all of the above, but I'd like an advise on what is a must - to get the stutters to reasonable rate or to get rid of it altogether if possible.

thnx in advance!

SB

I have the same issue even with DCS and my OS on SSDs. I have the 980, 3.4 GHZ processor, and 16 gb RAM and get the same results you are seeing.

I'll link you a find on Hoggit that might be on to something!

:pilotfly:

"There are only two types of aircraft, Fighters and Targets." Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On which maps are you guys flying? My experience is, that Normandy lags A LOT. Seems to be related to loading data while getting to new areas of the map. It takes about 5-10 Minutes in the same area (i.e. flying in circles) until everything is seemingly loaded and stutters get less and less. Might be ok...ish for helos, but fast movers over Normandy is a no-go for me, at least at the moment.

On the other hand, New Georgia is working pretty decent, performance wise. A stutter here and there, but manageble.

And then Nevada ... is a real gem. A few fps less over Vegas, but no real st...st...s...t...UTTE...rs.