Introducing the DFDT Cockpit Project

Joe Kurr

HPO; As far as I know the Halls have always been included in his designs..

He works with a supplier that goes by the name of CubPilot...

The whole operation is coordinated usually so that the sensors are shipped and the same time that the run goes out to the customer..

They're like a garage operation but they're well organized and like I said from using this mod on a daily basis, its a quality operation...

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS ROG MAX VIII Extreme

G.Skill TridentZ Series 32 GB

Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SATA II

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm is the stick going to be "stand-alone" or only compatible with a HOTAS Cougar ?

Well we have plans for both, but both have their problems.

With A standalone we have to make a lot more parts, and we have to design the Gimbal ourselves. For our Cockpit we are going to use a standalone but that one may differ from the one we are going to design for a series.

With the Cougar we have the problem with the analog Hat switch, in which the circuit in the Cougar grip is not designed for.

And when we want to make an easy interchangable grip, we need a big nut for fastening the grip like the original one, and make a circuit board like the original one with the 5 point PS/2 plug as the connection.

:joystick:

Well we have plans for both, but both have their problems.

With A standalone we have to make a lot more parts, and we have to design the Gimbal ourselves. For our Cockpit we are going to use a standalone but that one may differ from the one we are going to design for a series.

With the Cougar we have the problem with the analog Hat switch, in which the circuit in the Cougar grip is not designed for.

And when we want to make an easy interchangable grip, we need a big nut for fastening the grip like the original one, and make a circuit board like the original one with the 5 point PS/2 plug as the connection.

wow, their is alot of work to be done. What about making a prototype and trying to sell it to a big company and co-op with one to lower the price on the stick?

Just a suggestion...that you may have thought about....

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

wow, their is alot of work to be done. What about making a prototype and trying to sell it to a big company and co-op with one to lower the price on the stick?

Just a suggestion...that you may have thought about....

again, it's definitaly worth consitering.

DCS Wishlist: 1) FIX THE DAMN RIVERS!!! 2) Spherical or cylindrical panorama view projection. 3) Enhanced input options (action upon button release, etc). 4) Aircraft flight parameter dump upon exit (stick posn, attitude, rates, accel, control volume, control-surface positions, SAS bias, etc). 5) ADS-33 maneuver courses as static objects. 6) Exposed API or exports of trim position and stick force for custom controllers. 7) Select auto multiple audio devices

It's been a few days since our last update, but the project is still going :)

The controller for the stand-alone stick is almost complete, I hope to be able to program and test it this weekend.

Here is a quick image of the test setup:

stick-test-setup1.jpg

The ministick will be used to test the X and Y axes, but it isn't connected yet, the buttons are also there for testing purposes, on the final stick there will be more :)

The five pin connector next to the USB socket is for programming the controller.

The final version will have several of these connectors, to easily connect all the buttons and potmeters (or hall sensors, if we can get our hands on some).

When testing is complete and we have a working controller, I can design a special circuit board for this, which makes building more sticks easier.

(Right now I'm planning the layout on the fly, resulting in quite a chaos of wires on the other side of the board :) )

Dutch Flanker Display Team | LLTM 2010 Tiger Spirit Award

Looks great I can't wait untill the next update...

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

It's been a few days since our last update, but the project is still going :)

The controller for the stand-alone stick is almost complete, I hope to be able to program and test it this weekend.

Here is a quick image of the test setup:

stick-test-setup1.jpg

The ministick will be used to test the X and Y axes, but it isn't connected yet, the buttons are also there for testing purposes, on the final stick there will be more :)

The five pin connector next to the USB socket is for programming the controller.

The final version will have several of these connectors, to easily connect all the buttons and potmeters (or hall sensors, if we can get our hands on some).

When testing is complete and we have a working controller, I can design a special circuit board for this, which makes building more sticks easier.

(Right now I'm planning the layout on the fly, resulting in quite a chaos of wires on the other side of the board :) )

As far as Hall sensors are concerned you can most likely get them from Ernie "CUBPILOT" Smith... And I'm pretty sure that he has an unlimited

supply.....

You can contact him here http://www.cubpilotshangar.net/

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

• 2 weeks later...
If he attempts to build sticks for the Cougar, he'd better get a lawyer. IIRC this was the original plan and Guillemot could actually sue saying he affected sales of removable parts that they had in the "planning" stage.

I'm pretty sure there's some kind of exemption which covers designs which have to have certain features in order to attach to another product. As I understand it, you would be okay legally.

Cheers,

DD

(Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer)

If that was the case then what about the mods that have been applied all of these years ...

I don't think that Thrustmaster really cares, If any thing a custom handle would actually help sales...

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

lol. I personally like the Su-27 stick over the F-16s.

And, so long as you dont sell it, it wont be illegal. (or are you planing on selling it.) and no, i'm not a lawyer either.

DCS Wishlist: 1) FIX THE DAMN RIVERS!!! 2) Spherical or cylindrical panorama view projection. 3) Enhanced input options (action upon button release, etc). 4) Aircraft flight parameter dump upon exit (stick posn, attitude, rates, accel, control volume, control-surface positions, SAS bias, etc). 5) ADS-33 maneuver courses as static objects. 6) Exposed API or exports of trim position and stick force for custom controllers. 7) Select auto multiple audio devices

Actually I love my F-16 handle ..... I'm hoping that someday ED will release a very accurate F-16 sim....

I think that everyone's entitled to there opinion and this one's mine...

But I'm a flight sim person and have been since I was very young I have been working with aircraft as well, first in the Marines and second I worked for an aircraft parts manufacturer, so I've been exposed to the field for a long time .. Therefore I like all aircraft, some more then others...

I've been flying Russian Aircraft for about 7 years, so of course I would really enjoy having that SU-27 stick to plug into my Cougar base. The mod that I've installed is excellent and I would like to take advantage of this with a Russian stick as I think that it would increase the immersion factor 100%..

And for that matter I would also like to have an F-15 as well ..

And If ED decides to release an A/F-18 sim that would be awesome also to plug into my Cougar...

As I pointed out earlier there are mods that have been used in conjunction with the Thrustmaster and are being sold outright on the internet without issue...

All of this is very expensive and unfortunately is really out of the question for a lot of flight simmers because of this reason...

Any way I'm hoping that these gentleman do decide to go ahead with this project, whether it's for the Cougar, stand alone or both..

But I think where going to have to wait until their LAN show finishes...

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

I think that everyone's entitled to there opinion and this one's mine...

yes, of course. I never said others couldn't like the F-16 or it's stick. :D

...And If ED decides to release an A/F-18 sim that would be awesome also to plug into my Cougar...

Man, can't wait for that! especially with a realistic stick. :thumbup:

Salute!

Im a new on our forum. :)

I like the idea of DIY stick - my goal is a WWII era Luftwaffe KG13-B Grip. :joystick:

As far i research are a many DIY sticks like ones show in Forum.Sukhoi.ru (at the moment down for maintenance). Good place for look for alternative ideas in mechanical gimbals, etc.

Many use Mjoy8 or 16 USB DIY board. Its is cheap and easy to build, i build two these for ~15U$ each.

Another good option is Leo Bodnar BU0836 (USB 2.0, 8 axis, HAT, 32 buttons).

As for HALL sensores a cheap aproach is Honeywell SS495A1 whit super magnets - same use ones found in defective CDROM drivers.

Here a good thread about these in Racing Sim Central Forum

http://forum.rscnet.org/showthread.php?t=248618&highlight=ss495

Sample of DIY use of SS495A in joystick:

hallss49xx2cz6.th.jpg

Sorry, dont remember of the author of this project.

A nice D.I.Y. stick show in Sukhoi forum, whit real Mig-23 grip, mechanical dampers, USB Mjoy, HALL sensor Honeywell SS495A.

attachmentad0594ny2.th.jpg

Thank you for this good thread. :thumbup:

Sokol1_br

Salute!

I like the idea of DIY stick - my goal is a WWII era Luftwaffe KG13-B Grip. :joystick:

As far i research are a many DIY sticks like ones show in Forum.Sukhoi.ru (at the moment down for maintenance). Good place for look for alternative ideas in mechanical gimbals, etc.

Many use Mjoy8 or 16 USB DIY board. Its is cheap and easy to build, i build two these for ~15U$ each.

As for HALL sensores a cheap aproach is Honeywell SS495A1 whit super magnets - same use ones found in defective CDROM drivers.

hallss49xx2cz6.th.jpg

A nice D.I.Y. stick show in Sukhoi forum, whit real Mig-23 grip, mechanical dampers, USB Mjoy, HALL sensor Honeywell SS495A.

Sokol1_br

Nice stick!

Salute!

hallss49xx2cz6.th.jpg

Sokol1_br

Wow, that is some stick:thumbup: I like the idea with the dampers, but it is very big. I think he should make some construction that the dampers are in an angle of 90 degrees, but maybe he already thought of that.

Thanks for the link, I will look there when its up again.

As for our project, I'm quit busy at the moment with my daytime job (at the moment it is also an eveningjob:() overtime, overtime, overtime.

But in some spare moments I make some time to draw but not much.

Are you a rapid prototype engineer like I am, in a rapid prototype company, or does your company only make testparts?

You say 3D printer, is it an Objet or SLS or SLA, or some other type of machine?

I work in a company that works with Object

Also, is the panel available?

Btw keep up the great work!!!

Cheers!

Galgaze

Wow, that MiG-23 stick looks awesome!

I'm currently in the testing stage of our stick, also using mjoy, but with no luck so far.

I have programmed it, and according to the programming software, there are no problems.

But for some reason Windows refuses to detect it when I plug it in.

Here's a pic of the test setup, with a two-axis ministick and three buttons connected.

stick-complete-test-1.jpg

Tomorrow I will continue testing, I hope to find the problem then, as it's the last evening I can spend on it before the Lowland Tiger Meet.

By the way, the ministick I'm using here won't be the base for the final stick.

We will use it for the "Centr Strob" hat on the stick instead.

Dutch Flanker Display Team | LLTM 2010 Tiger Spirit Award

WOW, HPO: that's a real thing of beauty..:thumbup:

Joe: I'm sure that youll get it to work..

You Guys are making some real progress... Thanks for the continued updates...

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

That's a bloody nice stick there :joystick: I so wish I had the machines to build something like that :noexpression:

And if this Sukhoi stick ever sees the light of the day completed and attachable to the Cougar I will get it myself :thumbup:

No longer active in DCS...

I work in a company that works with Object

Also, is the panel available?

Btw keep up the great work!!!

Cheers!

Galgaze

Great job man, will the DXF file be availaible for who want to do it themselves in other materials ? Thanks

Well honestly I haven't desided yet, it was and is a lot of work, but on the other hand the community is very helpfull, so I don't know yet.

Maybe a 2D DXF file will be available, or an Edrawings file with the measurement option on.

But a full 3D file with the possibility to export it to a machine, I don't know yet .

I hope you understand:unsure:

Yes, but just the plan with measurement is very good, I'll plan to build it in wood parts but have no plan to work and no knowledge in CAO/DAO ! I thing that if someone want it into 3D, it should do it himself as it is a lot of work, I understand your position, but if you want to share 2D plans with measurement I'll be happy ...but can understant that you will not... it's your work

Best regards