Why is the Mirage's gun so freaking annoying?

Icebeat

What distance are you from the target? which aspect?

When I'm going in for guns. (<300 meters), if I need to pull enough lead to get the pipper off the HUD, the target is usually out of it as well. (happens in high aspect tracking shots)

The videos you gave as an example, Most of them the AA sight is in "pure snake" mode, without radar lock, the the ones with radar lock are at low speeds pulling less then 3Gs.

I've attached three screenshots from a video I took flying against a buddy (sorry for the quality, it's a massive crop of the frame)

it was a high aspect pass converging into a rear angle pursuit.

I estimate my speed to have been around 350kts on the 500m mark, pulling hard to keep up with his angular velocity.

attachment.php?attachmentid=180390&stc=1&d=1520271231

Note that both him and the pipper are on the edge of the HUD.

speed has probably dropped to ~220kts, (which is the speed most of the HAF vids show) around the 300m mark. which means ~2.5Gs

attachment.php?attachmentid=180388&stc=1&d=1520270954

Note, pipper still sort of on target.

and here is some bad gunnery from me (I missed that burst). I got him on the next one, but because this is a crop, from a Video, taken from YT, showing the left eye of the VR HMD, you can barely see anything....

attachment.php?attachmentid=180389&stc=1&d=1520271231

Anyway,

practice, the sight is good and working properly if you know how to use it.

I'm experiencing something like this

Look at 1:55 forward, the circle never appears on the snake, although the target is close and g's are low. And the guy can even achieve a gun kill, how is that possible? If he had brake the radar lock, i'm pretty sure that the target would be at the 300 m line. But at the same exact position, the circle isn't there with a radar lock.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Another thing about the gunsnake frustrating me is that the piper usually gets pulled so far away, out of my HUD. Then I can't aim, even though I steadily follow the 6 of the bandit for like a minute.

Another thing about the gunsnake frustrating me is that the piper usually gets pulled so far away, out of my HUD. Then I can't aim, even though I steadily follow the 6 of the bandit for like a minute.

See the posts above yours.

One more question.

Is the current altitude and speed indications position in the upper part of the HUD (and not in the middle as in MAG mode) correct?

(see switch from mag to guns at 1:20)

Because if they should be in the middle position, we could enhance the snake view by raising the seat or the default view position without loosing these indications from the field of view.

Edited by jaguara5

• 2 weeks later...
The snake (and also funnel and gyro sights in general) air-to-air gunsights are based in your own aircraft maneuvers to deliver a reliable firing solution. Therefore you need to match the target movements as stable as possible and get a tracking shot. It is useless for snapshots and out of plane shots in general.

If you don't have the patience for this kind of sights, you can always use the cross as a fixed sight, which is where the guns are actually pointing and do the lead computing in your head as you would in most WW2 aircraft.

I kind of beg to differ on the "snapshots" comment you made. It's all about practice and timing.

Fast forward to 31minutes 35 seconds

rjusRHA6Ut8?t=31m35s

Edited by CHRISXTR3M3

• 4 weeks later...

After some practice, now I can beat almost any excellent AI (including 50% fuel M-2000C, F-15C, MiG-29S, Su-27, F-5E, F-4E, F-86F, MiG-23, MiG-21bis). Exceptions are MiG-15 (you know it's dogfight monster), AJS-37 (I shot it down once. But it's hard because it was always running away rapidly) and F-16C (I can stay on its 6, but spend a very long time to get in the range. I must give it 80% fuel rather than 50%. Otherwise its fuel gets depleted before I shoot it down.)

• 8 months later...

The Rafale uses Nexter 30M791 shooting 30x150 ammo at 2500rpm and 1025 m/s muzzle velocity.

The Mirage 2000 use DEFA 554 shooting NATO standard 30x113 ammo at 1800rpm and 815m/s muzzle velocity.

The 30M781 uses the same 30x113 ammo at 720rpm.

It's used with THL30 turret on Tigre attack helicopter.

This ammo case was used by British ADEN gun and AH-64 Apache helicopter.

Screenshot: at 4250ft/ 1295m you're outside of maximum effective range.

Form the manual:

The piper will be a full circle at maximum range and starts to disappear going from left to right as soon as target gets into range of 1200 meters.

The 9 o’clock caret depicts the range of 900 meters, 6 o’clock of 600 meters and 3 o’clock of 300 meters.

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

The Russian Gsh-30-1 is more powerful, and yes, maybe a bit too much in DCS.

The two DEFA 554 hit hard, but at close range.

The logic of the gun piper range circle is that it starts to decrease counter clockwise.

12 o'clock is 1200m.

9 o'clock you're in practical range (900m)

6 o'clock is best firing range (600m).

3 o'clock is 300m.

That's the same logic for AG gun and rockets (different range values rockets).

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi