Mission 2 - ATC and damage problem

draconus

There is some problem with Vaziani ATC. It does not show on a list so you cannot request startup. I spool up anyway and just when rolling starts ATC contacts me to taxi. Comm menu stays on top so you can now request take off but you will not get one even with nose on runway. Then again it gives clearance once you are on the runway. During RTB Vaziani is not listed also.

Another problem is indestructible Su-24. 3 missile hits and it keeps trucking - not even single system failure. There were similar cases reported so ED probably knows it:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=202350

Finding them is tricky because they hug the deck in the mountains, night is pitch black and F-15C does not have radar altimeter or night vision. I finally gave up and RTB after Bingo. I could try to refuel/reload and go for another run but would that work? Anyway, High Command (my wife) did not allow me to check.

Track file: https://openload.co/f/cbvSjGyVrfY/su24-3hits-vaziani-problem.trk

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Hi draconus, unfortunately all of those bugs are out of our hands but as you have noted, they've been reported and they shouldn't block progress in the campaign.

A minute or two after the MiG-29s are destroyed or bug out, the Su-24s should bug out and you'll be given permission to RTB.

You should try to stay out of Abkhazia (as Magic advises as well) which will make the mountains a non-factor; the terrain in Georgia is pretty flat once they cross the border. Loiter near Poti until they enter Georgia and you're ordered to intercept.

• Like 1

I am long after the mission #2 but still want to point out that ATC problem seems to be mission specific. No problems with Vaziani ATC on comm on other missions. Also the Su24s are important triggers so they will not bug out for themselves. If you are not lucky with wingman shots the gun is your best option for now. And no, turning back to base for refuel/reload will not get you anywhere. Action is long gone by the time you come back. Tracking the borders at night without waypoints is tricky too.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Every time you enter Abkhazia, a voiceover will play telling you to return to Georgian airspace. Stay in Georgia until the bandits cross and they won't ever be back in Abkhazia until they're bugging out.

You can make a mental note of the bullseye position of the border and bring that waypoint up on your HSI to use as a reference...since your original flight plan had nothing to do with the Abkhazian border and the war hadn't "gone hot" there's not really a reason for that particular area to be a part of your flight plan.

Not sure what to say about the ATC; obviously the tower is still working or you wouldn't be getting calls as you start to move. There has been no damage to the field that would cause the radio item to be removed. While mildly irritating I don't consider this a critical issue.

DCS's ATC comm bugs are mildly irritating indeed and thus I changed their comm audio files folder's name to something else, preventing the game to play the ATC sound files and I never bother asking ATCs to take off, taxi or land, I just take off and land as I see fit :lol: dodging a plane taking off the runway while landing sometimes. But I do hope ED is going to fix it soon so I can play as a proper by the book pilot instead of a "rogue" one.

Edited by cm2

• 4 weeks later...

I have just complete Mission 2, and i too had this issue with Vaziani ATC.

It only appears once you start rolling and disappears again after take off, and is not an option for approach at the end of the mission.

I did notice if you turn on labels that there is an APC Tigr 233036 parked next to one of the Mi-8's thats RED rather than BLUE. Perhaps that is causing an issue?

Ha. You may be on to something there...there should be enough BLUFOR that it doesn't affect the airport's coalition but if the base is flipping to neutral that would indeed do it...I wanted him there for his headlights but the unit is only available to the Russian coalition.

I'll look into that...now that we have the aggressors coalition with all units, I'll see if I can make a blue Tigr happen or just increase the number of BLUFOR units until the base remains friendly assuming that is the problem.

Switched the Aggressor coalition to blue, replaced the Tigr, and confirmed I was able to communicate with ATC.

Updated .miz has been submitted to ED.

Good to know, thx. I knew it was this mission specific.