Does 'Cockpit Global Illumination' currently do anything?

Lixma 06

its a lot easier for me to see harriers internal instrument lights

With it On or Off?

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Enabling this option is actually a bad thing, you won't see a darkening/shadow in the cockpit when you fly down a valley or if you fly behind objects.

I have to check that out.

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X | i7 9700K@5.0GHz | Asus TUF OC RTX 4090 | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | HP Reverb G2 | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Croswinds

Here's a quick and dirty video (contrast got effed up for some reason, sorry).

First clip is with it off - the interior ambient light is static.

With it turned on the interior ambient lighting is dynamic and directional.

Looks good now I can see it - I'll have to see how it responds to shadows and things before I keep it on, though.

Do you believe it impacts frame rate?

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

It makes a difference in VR, at least for me. The cockpit is too dark without it. If I turn it off then I have to set the gamma so high that everything appears "washed out". I'm hoping that the gamma setting becomes more granular or they tweak the shaders in some way that helps alleviate the issue. To me the shading in the alpha release was dead-on in VR.

The Gratuitous Showing Off Part

MB: MSI Z370 GAMING M5

CPU: Intel I7-8700 3.7ghz o/c to 5.0

RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 32GB DDR4 SDRAM 4266

HDD: Mix of SSDs (Samsung) and Standard

Video Card: MSI 1080-Ti Gaming X

O/S: Windows 10-64 bit

Controllers

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS

Thrustmaster TFRP T.Flight Rudder Pedals

VR System

Oculus Rift S

Do you believe it impacts frame rate?

Cockpit Global by itself doesn't seem to affect my frame rates, but having Deferred Shading on significantly impacts my frame rates in VR. With it off I can get anywhere between 70 and 90 FPS, depending on where I'm flying, amount of aircraft around, etc. With it on, however, I can only get 45 FPS unless I fly out over water with no land in sight.

My performance meter, unsurprisingly, is also affected. I can get 0 to minor positive performance metrics with Deferred Shading off, but it dips down to the -70s with it on.

Past the performance impacts, though, to me everything looks better in the cockpit with DS off. With it on, colors looked washed out on the HUD and MFCD displays, and the rest of the cockpit looks extremely dark, even in bright sunlight.

Hopefully ED can apply some tweaks during the beta phase to help alleviate the issues because in other areas outside the cockpit deferred shading makes things look pretty freaking good.

The Gratuitous Showing Off Part

MB: MSI Z370 GAMING M5

CPU: Intel I7-8700 3.7ghz o/c to 5.0

RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 32GB DDR4 SDRAM 4266

HDD: Mix of SSDs (Samsung) and Standard

Video Card: MSI 1080-Ti Gaming X

O/S: Windows 10-64 bit

Controllers

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS

Thrustmaster TFRP T.Flight Rudder Pedals

VR System

Oculus Rift S