lights visibility at night/dark

GumidekCZ

Hi,

tested yesterday, but forgot make some screenshots, but anyway...I tried to observe the distance and visibility of strobe, anti-collision, navigation, formation, landing lights at NIGHT. It has been reported many times back in history of DCS, but may be this could be the right time to fix it finally, who knows...

Problem is obvious, you are losing sight to all these lights very, very, very, very, very, very close to observed plane/helicopter. My screen resolution isn’t much, just 1920x1200. May be with 4k screen, I could get better distances, but still this is not the state of realism, DCS is declaring it should be. :doh:

Night formation flights and especialy rejoins and rendezvous are this way dangerous and difficult. :mad:

You can see my spotlight from larger distance. :lol:

ED team should rethink the way the lights work, because with current shading, when you have full thick clouds, there is pretty dark under them. And this problem is currently not present only on aircraft, but also urban lights and airfiled lights. All those need rework, PLS ED, dont forget to add these into to your near TO-FIX schedule.

Thanks very much

• Like 1

+1000

lighting/night lighting desperately needs a complete overhaul. Imagine what Dubai would/will look like at night if this was made as good as others in the genre can achieve in their night lighting. If left as is, it would/will be a huge disservice to that map and any current and future map for DCS.

+1000

lighting/night lighting desperately needs a complete overhaul. Imagine what Dubai would/will look like at night if this was made as good as others in the genre can achieve in their night lighting. If left as is, it would/will be a huge disservice to that map and any current and future map for DCS.

Vegas should be lit up like a Christmas tree! I cant see a thing anymore!

• Like 1

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

Vegas should be lit up like a Christmas tree! I cant see a thing anymore!

Same. I fly in VR only and a few km outside a city and the lights are non-existent when they should clearly be not only visible but vibrant as well. I mean any person can hit YT and see what it looks like irl flying over cities and general at night. It should be beautiful. Yet in DCS it is just black nothingness. ED just appears to not have devoted any attention to it yet...hoping it is a just a yet situation. I have tried all kinds of settings to see if it was my config but nothing makes them show up as they should and do in other titles in the same genre(I know the rules about naming other products specifically so am not).

DCS is and has only been a daylight flying sim for me, especially since I went to VR. It is a shame.

Edited by Torso
  • Like 1

I am sure in due time they will address this shortcoming.

Now that they finally have this big update out of the way they can finally address these minor details soon enough.

We need to remind ourselves this is a combat simulator and not a civ sim like xplane etc.

I have all the flight products out there and it's interesting to see where each sim has their strong points and their weak points.

For example I love how xplane implemented rotating beacons for the plane anticollision lights. Very realistic but their flight models can't hold a candle to DCS. Not to mention weapon modelling etc.

You gotta take the good with the bad.

• Like 1

+1

Maybe like this in future? (x-plane)

Yeah, that is exactly what I am hoping for. That should be the goal to aim for by ED at the very least. Since I own that title I already can enjoy it. It just does not make any sense why DCS cannot achieve similar without it being a major hurdle unless the engine just cannot do it. Which I would hate to think is the case but I guess a possibility. Hopefully ED will see the value in addressing lighting finally now that the merge has occurred and with a little effort they can achieve similar to what your pic shows. DCS needs at least decent night lighting. Currently it lacks it. Simple as that.

+1 ; can't see the nav lights of my leader after takeoff at night, even when he's at less than 1nm...

Zip - VEAF :pilotfly:

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !