Dont like Vr

danielkarlssondk

Hi! For a few months ago I did a post if I should buy the rift or vive, I bought the rift and while i was waiting for it to arrive I was reading some dcs vr experiences and Oboy that soundee fun to play dcs in vr. Then my rift arrived and I fixed everything, started dcs after playing the oculus touch tutorial with the robot.

Wow Everything was in 3D! I can see the distance of stuff and all that but that "wow" feeling stopped in maybe 2 min. I decided to takeoff but I didnt feel anything "wow" anymore it was just the same feeling as flying without the vr googles on.. I tried again the next day and the nect and so on.. I just dont have the vr experience and i dont have it on any game at all. Im not living in the virtual world. I know that Im in my room, is hard to describe.. anyone feeling the same?

Maybe I need to find the feeling somewhere?

Nope. Feels utterly different to me. Are you flying FC3 aircraft? I'm conscious that being able to look around and turn on controls is part of the VR experience for me. Might also depend upon what you fly. I find that helicopters are more immersive than jets, just by the nature of the visibility in say the Huey and Mi8.

Either way, give it time. I wouldn't fly out of VR by choice now.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Give it a little time.

I myself still have a wow factor each time I load up a mission, and I have been using my Rift for right at a year now.

Having said that, while most find VR very similar to my experience, there are some that do not.

Keep at it and see what you think after a week or two.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

It's important to make sure your in game setting match the VR Performance your PC can deliver,VR is very demanding on hardware,If you have stuttering or long pauses it will ruin your immersion,DCS World 2.5 will come with New VR settings so you might want to try that when it comes out.

Also I use LiveATC.com when just flying to point A to B,Hearing Aircraft on approach to my local Airport helps with immersion IMHO:thumbup:

Patrick

mini.gif

No, not for me, although I mostly fly helicopter and mostly non combat and fairly close in, to close sometimes. :music_whistling:

Perhaps have a couple of beers and jump into a Gazelle and just go wild. Worth a try maybe. :D

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Hi! For a few months ago I did a post if I should buy the rift or vive, I bought the rift and while i was waiting for it to arrive I was reading some dcs vr experiences and Oboy that soundee fun to play dcs in vr. Then my rift arrived and I fixed everything, started dcs after playing the oculus touch tutorial with the robot.

Wow Everything was in 3D! I can see the distance of stuff and all that but that "wow" feeling stopped in maybe 2 min. I decided to takeoff but I didnt feel anything "wow" anymore it was just the same feeling as flying without the vr googles on.. I tried again the next day and the nect and so on.. I just dont have the vr experience and i dont have it on any game at all. Im not living in the virtual world. I know that Im in my room, is hard to describe.. anyone feeling the same?

Well yeah I know I'm in my room, but first time I tried VR it gave me the sensation of actually flying, and tricked my brain into thinking it really was.

Sadly that diminishes over time, but compared to a monitor it's a whole other level.

Monitor flying after VR feels all wrong, which if you think about it, it is!

Its like balancing a plane/helicopter on the end of your nose and attempting to manipulate it, from a massively zoomed out FOV.

I agree room scale isn't really that great (yet) but get into vorpX and try GTA5 in 3D. Or alien isolation perhaps!

Try flying around acrobatically in a Gazelle at night in Vegas! It goes beyond gaming its pure sensation.

You do have a HOTAS and pedal system though right?

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

How does it feel when you go back to monitor flying?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

64th "Scorpions" Aggressor Squadron

Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron

TS: 195.201.110.22

Well I wouldnt go as far as to say that I feel like Im flying. But I certainly feel like Im inside the virtual world, inside the virtual plane. Everything is more intuitive. I know exactly what the planes attitude is, where Im looking in relation to the nose etc. I dont get those aspects at all, on a monitor. Bombing, strafing, is easier for me in VR too - when I can see the buggers Im supposed to hit :).

But no, I dont get a sensation of flying. Had a little bit of brain confusion initially, when maneuvering, my brain kinda expected the feeling of acceleration, but didnt get anything, so would get a little 'rush'. That is gone now though. Didnt take long either.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

It's hard to describe VR in words. But even after 18 months or so, I do find myself trying to reach for things when I'm just reacting. And of course I know I know I'm sitting in my chair. But I do get the sensation of height and distance.

And I am spatially aware of where my aircraft is in 3D space. That to me is the most valuable thing about VR.

Also, it's unfortunate that it takes so much HW to get a smooth experience in VR. I'm not sure what your specs are, so there may be something there.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

It's probably our fault, we built up your expectations too high with our giddy enthusiasm. I'm not sure how old you are, but I think those of us who have been messing about with all this flying/driving sim business since the last century find it a bit easier to accept the fuzzy graphics, because it's not that long since high end PCs couldn't do any better. My suggestion is the same as dburne's: stick with it, and maybe also try out lots of other sims/games/experiences before you make the judgment. Two minutes isn't enough to grasp all of what we have in VR, so try to give it time.

• Like 1

i7-7700K/Gigabyte RTX2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Sennheiser HD380pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/Rift CV1

It's totally fine to not like/appreciate VR in its current state, we don't react to it in the same way. If you tried it for several days and still don't feel any wow factor, you should probably sell it while it holds some value. Perhaps you will be able to try the next generation of VR headsets with much improved graphics and field of view.

There are only two types of aircraft, fighters and targets. - Major Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson, USMC

For me it’s better than not using it I tried the trackir in xp11 and it wasn’t worth the effort imo. Now my rift is so much better. In the beginning I would feel It in my gut if you what I mean. I’m flying the Huey mainly now in dcs and just starting to go back to xp11. But every now and then I’ll get the top of a Farris wheel effect in my gut when I start to rock in a hover. I like being able to read the gauges and being able to pan around. I’m selling most of my saitek panels and stuff except for the yoke and throttles keeping my vkb peddels thinking about a gunfighter2 mcg for fighters that will give me a rotary a ga and a fighter setup for the axis to use with my rift. Also selling my three 24” acer monitors, pro pit and probably a never used veiwsonic touchscreen in the mid 20” range when I return home I will pack up the vkb gear and probably the puma along with my rift and laptop the yoke is on a pro stand so not that portable to travel with. I might build some button boxes to sell with the switches, encoders and boards I bought for a homemade cockpit that will be useless with RV it might cover my gf2and a 3dof platform and seat setup for home.

Basically minimum gear on the road and motion/vr at home.

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

I am thoroughly enjoying VR, but I still switch back to TrackIR when I want to actually fly combat. Periodically switching back and forth really heightens the differences. The smooth, consistent 1:1 head tracking and greatly increased vertical field of view are what makes VR feel so real.

When I go back to TrackIR, the high-gain head tracking is just too jerky/annoying and needs frequent resets. But 1080p on a 46-inch TV with image quality settings maxed out looks dramatically better than VR.

VR works well with Aces High because all air-to-air is close range gunfights and you have to use icons to identify enemies in the main arena, so your situational awareness is almost as good as when you have full graphics quality on a flat panel monitor. But in DCS World, I haven't ever flown with icons. Enabling icons in VR to compensate for not being able to detect/identify targets defeats the purpose of VR. I don't find icons immersive and if everything is either too small or grainy to see well enough to fight, that kills the fun/immersion, too.

To be fair, there are visual detection/identification problems without VR, but I can generally still find and kill the enemy even if it is a bit harder or takes a bit longer. With VR, even if I have played the mission before and know exactly where to look, the enemy still has a good chance of flying right by me undetected. This is what keeps me from committing 100% of my time to VR beyond the huge difference in the graphics quality.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I believe some people are more immersed by VR than others (it tricks some folks more than others).

I don't fly in VR all that often due to the visual quality, I am hoping the pimax fixes that... but try flying in formation with another person, landing on the carrier in the harrier, or AA refueling, VR really helps with all of those.

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

There are several effects that can be experienced in the ruft. The first and most obvious one is that we can turn our head and tilt our view to any direction and it looks as if we are within the world of the simulation. It feels like 3D compared to the normal 2d monitor. The second effect is that most of us can sense distances better than on a 2d monitor. You look down and the ground is actually 100m below. This can be felt because every eye gets to see a slightly different image of the world. But because our eyes are not equally strong and they never change focus in the rift, this effect is not felt exactly as in real life and felt more or less strong by different individuals. The third effect is the 3D sound effect you hear when you move your head slightly. This effect is the worst simulated in vr and can cause artifacts like sound sources not feeling at aconstant spot.

In your case, when you say, that you experience 3D, do you mean the first or the second effect, or both?

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X | 64GB DDR4-3200 Ram | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | MFG Crosswind rudder pedals | HP Reverb

I guess it tricked me at first now I'm used to it but couldn't fly a monitor again.

True story when I got VR: Spawned in a KA-50, I have a space heater on the left of my chair when its cold. I opened the door on the KA-50 to lean down and turn the heater down!

Haha, yea it really messes with your mind.

I remember trying to lean on several canopy frames (different planes), when wanting to look back over the wings on the ground. But no canopy frame here in my world :D

Or first time I tried VR was with the DK2 in iRacing, and when I had completed my laps, I wanted to hang the headset on the rollcage X-bars in the door frame, and kept trying to hang them there in mid-air :)

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

I had an open window in my computer room. As I was flying in VR, a cool summer breeze hit my arm: I turned to see if my canopy was closed!

I think I'm going to set up a couple of fans for the Mi-8...

i7-7700K@4.8GHz, 16Gb-3200, GTX-1080Ti-Strix-11Gb, Maximus IX Hero, Oculus Rift, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C, Logitech G940 Pedals.

Not the first one to experience that. Many actually loses that WOW effect, but still most will have the 3D experience. But as well same time many does get the feeling that something is off, and it is that the scaling of the 3D world in DCS is slightly off. Same thing is with your seat positioning etc. So you need to move head to fix error and then check for a seat position and your back that you are in right position.

The 2.5 should come with a 3D world scaling, but not sure as ED calls it "IPD adjustment" that ain't same thing as IPD adjustment. Example in Serious Sam 3 VR you have all three, you can set IPD, you can scale the world and you can scale the weapons in your hands. These two 3D scaling allows you to really scale things correctly so immersion grows as a pistol in your hand ain't too big or the world ain't too big or small. And that has nothing to do with the IPD value (what affects only to the depth measurement and in Rift for lens spacing).

The VR does lose fairly quickly the "WOW" effect, it is just question how advanced your brain is that is it just "lazy" that it gets fooled easily, or does it train quickly and adapt to new situation.

And having narrow FOV or smudged view are one of the things that are ruining the immersion. As when you feel that you have lost your eye glasses, even when you don't wear any, it will break immersion. When you see a black surroundings around your view while you try to look edge of your FOV, it just takes you back.

It is like many is leaping constantly between the reality and virtual reality, they are aware they are in the game in most times, but sometimes they just lapse back to reality after experiencing a slight moment that fooled brains.

But having experience like pulling a high G after dive, doesn't cause for many any feelings after a while.

For me personally, I would like to get the 3D world scaled about 85-90% of what it is now (100%) so the cockpits would be slightly smaller. Now it is like sitting as a child in a cockpit and all feels so huge. So that is one of the immersion breakers as the size of the world ain't right.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

For me personally, I would like to get the 3D world scaled about 85-90% of what it is now (100%) so the cockpits would be slightly smaller. Now it is like sitting as a child in a cockpit and all feels so huge. So that is one of the immersion breakers as the size of the world ain't right.

Exactly why its so important to get this. I have the complete opposite experience. Im a giant inside a toy :).

I had an open window in my computer room. As I was flying in VR, a cool summer breeze hit my arm: I turned to see if my canopy was closed!

I think I'm going to set up a couple of fans for the Mi-8...

I have an air conditioner facing me. Wasn't intended as something to improve my VR experience but its amazing how much more immersive it can make things when you get up in the clouds with the cold air blowing in your face! It gives one more of a sense of movement...I turn it on by remote when I start flying especially in summer time when its really needed...I turned it on when my father tried VR and was setting off down the runway in a 109, and he really agreed it made things feel much more realistic and immersive!

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,