OpenHornet F/A-18C 1:1 SimPit (WIP)

jrsteensen

We decided the 0603 components were going to be just too small for most people to comfortably hand solder, so we are redesigning with larger components.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

That sounds very sensible! I would have been chasing round my poor Solder joints for ages!

Great work as always... Thanks!

We decided the 0603 components were going to be just too small for most people to comfortably hand solder, so we are redesigning with larger components.

Was it 0603 metric or imperial? What are you currently going for?

Any pictures of the soldered boards you'd like to share?

Edited by aniron

Unfortunately, no pictures at this point. Didnt make it that far.

I've been working on the system architecture for this a little to illustrate the electronics stack. Feel free to comment with any questions on it!

On the structures side, left and right consoles are virtually done, lower instrument panel is 95% and about to start work on the upper instrument panel and the seat. None will be build ready yet, as waiting until I get a few odds and ends (component-wise) 100% so I can fit check everything in CAD.System_Architecture_-_Top_Level.thumb.jpeg.c2bddd4b4409341b6e0fb3dec75255b5.jpegSystem_Architecture_-_Center_Console.thumb.jpeg.2ed118415b1f63975105ed6ee979aea6.jpeg

Hmm, interesting! :book:

I would have suspected that the main display (HDMI) as well as the AMPCD and the left and right DDI (3x Display Port) would be powered directly by the main graphics card (assuming a 1080ti).

What software are you going to use to get the graphics to the Rasberry Pis?

Cheers

DSP

Hmm, interesting! :book:

I would have suspected that the main display (HDMI) as well as the AMPCD and the left and right DDI (3x Display Port) would be powered directly by the main graphics card (assuming a 1080ti).

What software are you going to use to get the graphics to the Rasberry Pis?

Cheers

DSP

Primary display will be directly powered by the GPU. Our recent software engineer addition to the OH team (Damien22) has been coding up something to stream the outputs to the DDIs, AMPCD, RWR/SARI, and IFEI. It shows real promise and will only require creating a single virtual display adapter on the host PC. Preliminary testing shows almost no stutter, and only a tiny CPU overhead on the host PC.

Primary display will be directly powered by the GPU. Our recent software engineer addition to the OH team (Damien22) has been coding up something to stream the outputs to the DDIs, AMPCD, RWR/SARI, and IFEI. It shows real promise and will only require creating a single virtual display adapter on the host PC. Preliminary testing shows almost no stutter, and only a tiny CPU overhead on the host PC.

This I'd really love to see working! Please put a Youtube vid up of it if you can!:thumbup:

EVGA GTX1080TISC2 Black Hybrid Cooler, Asus Strix X399, Water cooled ThreadRipper 1920X, Dominator 32GB 3200Mhz,NVME Samsung 250/500GB SSDs, Corsair Air 740 case, Acer Predator 34' Gsync curved display + 3x Alienware 23inch 120hz monitors. TM HOTAS, RAZER - Tiamat,Blackwidow, Mamba, Tartarus and Oculus Rift CV1/DK2 + TrackIR5, MFG crosswinds

Oh and a very understanding wife.

This I'd really love to see working! Please put a Youtube vid up of it if you can!:thumbup:

I've invited Damien to post up here on it, as he can speak way more intelligently on it than I can. He is away from home for the next couple days, but will post here once he gets home and settled.

I've invited Damien to post up here on it, as he can speak way more intelligently on it than I can. He is away from home for the next couple days, but will post here once he gets home and settled.

Hi everyone! Damien here! (with a different login here)

I have looked at the hogkey Iris https://code.google.com/archive/p/hogkeys/downloads

Which I have adapted to work with the Raspberry Pi (running mono)

This means that you can export screens to a raspberry pi. There is no compression which lightens up the load on the host PC but means it is taking a bit more bandwidth. Streaming this 600x600 export only takes about 2.5mbs on the network which is no problem, and should also work on wifi (although I would not recommend it)

a quick demo. streaming the left DDI at what I think was 10fps

I have looked at the hogkey Iris https://code.google.com/archive/p/hogkeys/downloads

This means that you can export screens to a raspberry pi. There is no compression which lightens up the load on the host PC but means it is taking a bit more bandwidth. Streaming this 600x600 export only takes about 2.5mbs on the network which is no problem, and should also work on wifi (although I would not recommend it)

Is this a DCS-specific implementation or does the raspberry screen show up as a directly connected screen would?

What does the Nano Gen I/O shield do?

The ABSIS (Arduino Based Simulator Interface System) General I/O PCBs are basically a shield for a Arduino Nano/Mega that provides a convinent mounting, easy breakouts for wiring panels, an RS-487 bus, and converts three of the PWM pins to allow the user to select them between 5V and 12V.

The ABSIS (Arduino Based Simulator Interface System) General I/O PCBs are basically a shield for a Arduino Nano/Mega that provides a convinent mounting, easy breakouts for wiring panels, an RS-487 bus, and converts three of the PWM pins to allow the user to select them between 5V and 12V.

Could you post this kind of description for all the ABSIS variants?

Would be convenient to know exactly how they differ from e.g. tekkx's boards.

Could you post this kind of description for all the ABSIS variants?

Would be convenient to know exactly how they differ from e.g. tekkx's boards.

There's only two. The Mega and the Nano. I'll write up some datasheets eventually, but its really rather low on my priority list right now.

See attached for what I've been working on the past couple weeks. It's coming along nicely. :music_whistling:

422377582_WIP_UIPampLIP_20181019.thumb.jpg.ad08ccd9e2d53dec40d4cae706647325.jpg

Been following this project for a while. Awesome stuff, keep it up guys!

Why dont you have a look at the Hempstick firmware? It is open source and perfectly suited I think. It runs on FreeRTOS and is much superior to the usual ATmel Arduino loop based stuff. :)

http://hempstick.org/The_Official_Hempstick_Site/Welcome.html

Cheers

Cougar, CH and Saitek PnP hall sensor kits + shift registers: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=220916

Shapeways store for DIY flight simming equipment and repair: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/rel4y-diy-joystick-flight-simming

So been doing a ton of general cleanup and structural work. Still have quite a list on the mechanical side, but definitely progressing. Decided to do some high-res renders today.

OpenHornet_WIP_ISO_20181024.png

OpenHornet_WIP_Front_Panel_20181024.png

OpenHornet_WIP_Right_Console_20181024.png

OpenHornet_WIP_Left_Console_20181024.png

Ready to start work on the seat in earnest, but really lacking solid reference materials. I can extrapolate the major dimensions and control placement, but the rest of the seat may end up having to be fairly cosmetic.

So been doing a ton of general cleanup and structural work. Still have quite a list on the mechanical side, but definitely progressing. Decided to do some high-res renders today.

OpenHornet_WIP_ISO_20181024.png

OpenHornet_WIP_Front_Panel_20181024.png

OpenHornet_WIP_Right_Console_20181024.png

OpenHornet_WIP_Left_Console_20181024.png

Ready to start work on the seat in earnest, but really lacking solid reference materials. I can extrapolate the major dimensions and control placement, but the rest of the seat may end up having to be fairly cosmetic.

Those renders look fantastic - keep up the good work!

What would happen if you moved your virtual view? From the IRIS docs it seems like it grabs a section of the screen and streams it out so what would be streamed if you were looking around outside for example?

Finished the Brake/Emergency Handle mechanism and the brake pressure gauge yesterday. Left console is component complete (minus throttle). Going to start working on modeling the PCBs and start dropping the electronics layer in. Goal on the left/right consoles is have them interface to the rest of the pit with a single USB cable and a single power connection.

What would happen if you moved your virtual view? From the IRIS docs it seems like it grabs a section of the screen and streams it out so what would be streamed if you were looking around outside for example?

DCS has built-in duplication of the MFD's, you just render them on a scecond monitor (or off screen) by editing a .lua inputting the coordinates to start the render.

It's what is normally used with Helios and a secondary, directly attached monitor.