Zuni Rockets

superhavoc

• 2 weeks later...

We're they fired from said show bird? If so, I expect that they were actually cleared for use, but the Navy just never chose to deploy with them. Considering the incredible cost and work in qualifying weapons for an airframe, I would think that such qualification would be reason enough to include then in the sim.

Honestly, I don't like having experimental stuff, that never became operational, implemented in our F-14. We could also get AMRAAMs then...

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Could someone very briefly explain how Zunis would compare to 2.75 inch rockets, like the Hydra?

Wikipedia doesn't really help with this. How does f.e. a Zuni HE warhead compare (roughly) to a 2.75" HE and an Mk 82 bomb in terms of weight and effect?

Also how does the Zuni compare in effective range to the 2.75" and in in what role/to what effect are they usually deployed?

Thx :)

Edited by twistking

Could someone very briefly explain how Zunis would compare to 2.75 inch rockets, like the Hydra?

Wikipedia doesn't really help with this. How does f.e. a Zuni HE warhead compare (roughly) to a 2.75" HE and an Mk 82 bomb in terms of weight and effect?

Also how does the Zuni compare in effective range to the 2.75" and in in what role/to what effect are they usually deployed?

The Zuni is 5" in diameter and weighs around 100 pounds give or take (depending on the warhead) so definitely more firepower than a Hydra (I'm assuming you're referring to the Hydra) though a Mk 82 probably has a bigger punch. From what I gather, the Zuni and the Hydra have similar range (about 5 miles). Can't say too much for irl employment on the Zuni (I'm guessing it might be like lobbing Mk 81s at a target) though it was originally developed for both air-to-air and air-to-ground use, an A-4 actually shot down a Mig-17 over Vietnam with Zuni rockets in '67.

Edited by superhavoc

"Drink up, be crude, sleep late, urinate in public, and get the job done."

-Phu Khen AV-8er

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-x94cMTXlroxUvLFCDax5A

The Zuni is 5" in diameter and weighs around 100 pounds give or take (depending on the warhead) so definitely more firepower than a Hydra (I'm assuming you're referring to the Hydra) though a Mk 82 probably has a bigger punch. From what I gather, the Zuni and the Hydra have similar range (about 5 miles). Can't say too much for irl employment on the Zuni (I'm guessing it might be like lobbing Mk 81s at a target) though it was originally developed for both air-to-air and air-to-ground use, an A-4 actually shot down a Mig-17 over Vietnam with Zuni rockets in '67.

I thought there was a 2.75 inch Zuni rocket as well?

Punk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Bring the Hydra if you want to shoot at trucks. Bring the Zuni if you want to shoot at tanks.

If you have flown the P-51 or F-86, the Zuni is something like an upgraded HVAR. The Zuni is already available for the Harrier and will be available for the Hornet too. I think it's called "LAU-10" on the loadout screen.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The zuni project i hope set to end of the list for tomcat greets mike

System

Hydro H115i with 8700k @ 4,9 ghz all cores, Asus strix Z370 f, 32gb ddr4 3600Mhz, Asusrog swift 34 gsync ,Vr hp Reverb .Palit gaming pro 2080 ti Thrustmaster Warthog f18grip and th pedal

Steamvr ss 100% and dcs world ss 180%

tomcat eats the viper for breakfast :P

Lange lebe die Tomcat": Long live the Cat!

As Always, its your choice to use it or not.

In singleplayer, yes, but in multiplayer I would have to deal with them.

The Zunis are described in detail in the official aircraft documentation, so I'm unsure how accurate it is to call it an experimental addition.

Alright, didn't know that. From what was said before it sounded very experimental, but if they are described in the official aircraft documentation than I don't have any issues with this :thumbup:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Wow, that is awesome guys! With all the hard work we can see on the updates and the enthusiasm you guys (+ gals?) have for this module it is going to be a work of beauty indeed!

I looked around some more and found a puzzling image linked in one of the forum posts (https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3034901&postcount=7) regarding the rockets:

RRXF7Hz.png

In this image (from an apparent nav-air manual) it claims that the F14 was able to carry rockets pods on the centerline belly stations (LAU-10A/A on stations 3 & 6), but oddly enough station 3 can hold two pods whilst it is being listed that station 6 can only carry 1?

Even more weird is that all the images and sources I could find (M.A.T.S., google images, etc) all show the rocket pods being mounted on a TER (Triple Ejector Rack) on the wing pylons ( 1 and 8 ), but not on the centerline stations?

f14b101k.jpg

Multi-racking was apparently done as shown in the image above, but this may have just been for demonstration purposes (also, can anyone identify the rectangular store on the bottom station of the rack? Maybe an ECM pod?). Then again, all images / sources do have the rocket pods being mounted on TERs; was this just done to avoid making a new pylon adapter? How did they fit the multiracks on the F-14 anyway, I was not aware that it could carry more than 1 store per pylon / station?

As I am already writing a reaaally long post anyway, might squeeze in more questions: in comparison to the rockets pods, how much information is available to on the (attempted) integration of the HARM and AMRAAM? Any chance those might be up for consideration (in the far future)?

Edited by Nanne118

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Groundpounder extraordinaire

SPECS: i7-4790K, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 16 GB RAM, MSI GTX 980ti, Thrustmaster WARTHOG HOTAS, Saitek Pro Combat Rudder pedals, TrackIR 5