Spamraams - Hornet

Guppy

Correct me if I am wrong but the Hornet can technically hold 12 AMRAAMS. I believe the wing pylons can hold two each via the dual rails.

I ask because I was messing around in the mission editor and noticed the current implementation of the Hornet does not feature these. Curious if that will change when the module releases.

I want to launch all 12 at a single target. :music_whistling:

reality has a tendency to get in the way of theory

Interesting... I've seen a lot of pics of Charlies' sporting AMRAAMs on their wingtip, though. I assume they can be mounted but then cannot operate the wingtip mechanism?

I am correct though on the dual launcher rails from the under-wing pylons? Even if AMRAAMs are not supported on the wingtip that would still provide 10x.:joystick:

Interesting... I've seen a lot of pics of Charlies' sporting AMRAAMs on their wingtip, though. I assume they can be mounted but then cannot operate the wingtip mechanism?

I am correct though on the dual launcher rails from the under-wing pylons? Even if AMRAAMs are not supported on the wingtip that would still provide 10x.:joystick:

I did a quick search for photos regarding this and came up with exactly nothing. You have a link to a picture corroborating that?

• ED Team

Really? I very much doubt that. Links please.

Mistaking to f-16?

That would be my guess as well.

E: Did some more digging, and according to posts on another forum, the Hornet has a LAU-7 launcher on the wingtip that only accomodates AIM-9 derivatives. The Rhino does have a LAU-127 rail on its wingtips which is capable of holding the AIM-120, but there doesn't exist a flight clearance for that configuration.

https://combatace.com/forums/topic/48322-aim-120-on-hornet-wingtips/

Edited by antagonist

It was my mistake... in my hungover state I mistook the falcon for the charlie. How I don't know, but it is what it is haha. They were all zoomed in photos of the wingtip. /shrug

Here is a pic, though of the dual AMRAAM rails on a Charlie.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e5/FA-18_Hornet_VX-4_with_10_AMRAAM.jpg

Edit: Wags are you aware that you can outfit the Charlie in-game with AMRAAMs on the wingtips?

Edited by rudellj

what does it matter when the incoming fa-18 module is a completely new implementation?

Who knows what code ED might be pulling/reusing, if at all. I imagine there likely is some re-usability in the load-out code. Though I could be completely wrong. Sorry if you think it is unimportant.

It was my mistake... in my hungover state I mistook the falcon for the charlie. How I don't know, but it is what it is haha. They were all zoomed in photos of the wingtip. /shrug

Here is a pic, though of the dual AMRAAM rails on a Charlie.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e5/FA-18_Hornet_VX-4_with_10_AMRAAM.jpg

Edit: Wags are you aware that you can outfit the Charlie in-game with AMRAAMs on the wingtips?

It's a hornet from a test and evaluation squadron. Not uncommon to see them flying jets in configurations that would never hit the fleet. Another thing to note is some of the 120's are live (yellow and brown bands) and others inert (blue bands).

It was my mistake... in my hungover state I mistook the falcon for the charlie. How I don't know, but it is what it is haha.

:shocking:

How much did you drink last night? :P

As an aside, 8 will be enough. If we can use 10 it'll be a bonus.

I just can't wait for some servers to restrict them during 80's missions :D

Edited by Buzzles

But before this happens you actually have to wait to use the spamraam, initially we start with the Sparrow for EA, AIM-120 and 9X will come later.

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

Really? I very much doubt that. Links please.

I did a quick search for photos regarding this and came up with exactly nothing. You have a link to a picture corroborating that?

The Legacy Hornets do not have an AMRAAM Compatible Launcher on the Wingtip Stations,

Whether or not this changed with some of the recent "Updates" in the Exported Air-frames and the C+ Units going to the USMC I don't know for sure, I know the USMC C+ is Essentially going to be Super Hornet Internals inside of an Legacy Hornet Frame, but there was nothing said about upgrading the Wingtip LAUs

I seriously doubt it for 2 Reasons:

Yes, Echo and Foxtrot Hornets have the Interface for the AMRAAM on the Wingtip LAU-127x/x,

I believe the decision to go w/ LAU-127 on the Wingtips of the Echo and Foxtrot was to reduce Spare Part Types needed once the fleet goes 100% Echo Foxtrot Gamma, as they are capable of launching the AIM-9 Family as well, and they use all LAU-127 or LAU-115C+LAU-127 for everything Air to Air on the the Echo and Foxtrot Hornets. The LAU-127 on the Wingtip had nothing to do w/ plans to use them for AMRAAM Deployment.

Even Overlooking the Weight on the Wing Folding Motor as a Limit (say, for the Export Versions that had solid wings for the 9G Rating)

The Wing Attachment Point itself cannot hold the weight of the LAU-127 Launcher + AIM-120 without sever stress on the attachment point.

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

:shocking:

How much did you drink last night? :P

As an aside, 8 will be enough. If we can use 10 it'll be a bonus.

Too much... in fairness though they were zoomed in pictures of the f-16 wingtip in a f-18 related search. And being hungover I didn't put two and two together until Wags responded.

8 is never enough... 10 is never enough. I want 20. :)

There are some images with 10x AMRAAMs; granted not many. Most are with 8. I'd be curious what ED ends up implementing.

https://www.vtg.admin.ch/content/vtg-internet/en/einsatzmittel/luft/f-a-18-hornet/_jcr_content/operatingresourcesImage/image.transform.1470999890694/image_588_368/image.fa_18_01.jpg

Considering that's a Swiss bird, the 4x2 AMRAAM armament underwing was indeed certified for flight.

There are some images with 10x AMRAAMs; granted not many. Most are with 8. I'd be curious what ED ends up implementing.

https://www.vtg.admin.ch/content/vtg-internet/en/einsatzmittel/luft/f-a-18-hornet/_jcr_content/operatingresourcesImage/image.transform.1470999890694/image_588_368/image.fa_18_01.jpg

I wonder about the story behind this :huh:

[...]

for the Export Versions that had solid wings for the 9G Rating

[...]

Swiss and Finnish Hornets do have foldable wings, which country had that version?

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] Waiting to build a F/A-18C home-pit...

ex - Swiss Air Force Pilatus PC-21 Ground Crew

SFM? AFM? EFM?? What's this?

i7-5960X (8 core @3.00GHz)¦32GB DDR4 RAM¦Asus X99-WS/IPMI¦2x GTX970 4GB SLI¦Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSD¦TrackIR 5 Pro¦TM Warthog¦MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

I wonder about the story behind this :huh:

Swiss and Finnish Hornets do have foldable wings, which country had that version?

They have strengthened wings, but retained the folding mechanism, which means the motor is even more limited to what missiles could be mounted to LAU because the outter wing would weigh more.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Not sure there is that big of an issue with weight particularly (the wing kind of supports itself - and more!), but there easily could be some with twisting moments a heavier & longer missile would do on the tip. The wing of the Hornet is notoriously non-rigid in twist. I understand it actually shows aileron reversal behavior at some speed range, that the FCS scheduling accounts for.

Anyways, as mentioned many times by now, the launcher is for AIM-9 series only. The maximum load of AIM-120s is ten, as shown in the couple of pics posted: four in two double LAU-127s under each wing, for total of eight, and two under the armpits.

Funnily enough the current F/A-18C in DCS CAN carry AIM120s on the wingtips

zkjeXBb.jpg

It doesn't have the duo stations for amraams thought.

In reality it should be possible to carry 10 AIM-120C on the Hornet, am I correct ?

4 times dual rack under the wings ( total of 8 ) + 2 more on the fuselage

• Like 1

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

The dual AIM-120C's on one pylon have been removed from the AI Hornet a long time ago, but I remember them. The current Hornet loadout won't be the same one as with the new F/A-18C.

There were other similar discussions about the possibility to have one station with two GBU-12's loaded.

I know that things will change for the release of the hornet. Was just pointing out.

I think the double gbus and double amraams pylons are a bit of a different topic. The "issues" behind each of them are not really the same

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days