Samsung Odyssey Setup

bflagg

No, you don't need Steam version of DCS. You *do* need Steam VR.

So you need to sign up for VR to get the SteamVR. So follow this link:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=5608-UPAH-6427

• Like 1

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Hi Guys;

I have the Odyssey as well and have been able to fly an Instant Mission in Normandy with the Spitfire, but . . . I have had to turn my graphics way down or it crashes on loading a mission and still crashes frequently during the mission. Steam supersampling at .9, all textures on low,

I am running i5-6600 CPU, GTX 1070, and 16 GB of ram. Does that sound right? Seems like I am missing something!

You running 1.5 or 2.2? I had a 1070 and yes had to turn stuff down for the rift. You're pushing more pixels now because of resolution so you'll have to turn some stuff down. If you're trying to get the most out of it you'll have to upgrade that gpu to a 1080ti honestly. Try 2.2 it runs better in vr for the most part.

• Like 1

| 8700k @4.9 | Gigabyte Gaming 7 | 32gb Tridentz @3000 | EVGA 1080 TI SC2 | CV1 | VKB MCG PRO

[sigpic]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FeLGqKyJ3K08k3z-7XaegWgRuGRGkKUs/view?usp=sharing[/sigpic]

I returned my Odyssey but I played the Normandy Instant CAS mission in A10C. And I flew some Spitfires as well w/o any issues. I was using Jabbers setup in "all Things VR" thread.

SkoproPL, this is Normandy so it's only for 2.x maps.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I returned my Odyssey but I played the Normandy Instant CAS mission in A10C. And I flew some Spitfires as well w/o any issues. I was using Jabbers setup in "all Things VR" thread.

SkoproPL, this is Normandy so it's only for 2.x maps.

im sorry to hear you had to return.

i thought odessey would have made for better visuals.

just like pimax, i think both odessey and pimax need ALOT of work on the software side, even though the hardware side is impressive.

i am content with my rift CV1, my only next step is rift CV2 or (Vive V2 depending on weight comfort)

• Like 1

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

I got it because of the better resolution. But in DCS (didn't really try anything else) it made no perceivable difference. And the tracking was not as good as Rift. But it worked well enough for DCS. I just didn't see a need to replace the CV1.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Thanks for the Responses Guys;

Hansangb: I tried Jabbers settings too, but it crashed the program everytime before I could load a mission. I had to turn everything down to the lowest or just above lowest settings just to get it to run. I know my CPU and GPU are a step down but it seems like something is wrong. Would overclocking my CPU help (currently 3.5GHZ)? Am I short of RAM? 16 GB seems like it should be reasonable. Is there a way to log memory usage to see if that is the source of the crashes?

Or does that level of difficulty running the game suggest I have missed a step somewhere else on the software side? Just looking for suggestions of things I can try.

Something is very wrong on your pc

I have a i-5 6500 oc @4.4ghz 24gb ram and a GTX 970 ssc and can play with medium specs on VR no problem.

The only thing I upgraded recently was my RAM (used to have 8gb and was stutter fest) and now with the m.2 ssd 960 evo is night and day from before. My min fps is 45.

If I had to guess is your Hard drive.

EDIT: I'm playing on 1.5.8 so not sure about the Normandy, Is your performance on 1.5 poor too?

thanks CaptainX

It really helps to hear from someone with similar specs. I need to solve a problem with my old Asus Aisuite which won't uninstall and allow me to use the newer version. this would let me at least overclock the CPU.

But my current SSD is only a boot drive. It may be time to get the DCS loaded on one.

So you get a BSOD or does the computer just shut off? If it's the latter, your power supply may be going out.

I believe I read that after the Spectre/Meltdown fixes, AISuite doesn't work. Check out the meltdown thread in PC Hardware thread here. I'm pretty sure AI Suite issues came up there.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Hi Hansangb

Not BSOD. It just locks up with the last screen still visible. Sometimes if I hit escape, DCS shuts down. Most times I can at least get to Task Manager and shut down DCS there. Sometimes it is completely unresponsive and I have to hold the power button to force a restart of the machine.

I will check the PC Hardware thread on AI Suite. When I upgraded my motherboard and CPU last time I had AI Suite II installed. Apparently you have to uninstall it from that configuration before you switch to a newer motherboard. It does not allow you to uninstall it after. AI Suite 3 which came with the new Motherboard created conflicts with the old version. I really do not want to wipe everything and start over. There is a tool that is supposed to delete it on the ROG Gamer site but I distrust those types of programs.

Thanks

Okay Guys, jumping back in here. I solve my AI Suite problem and have overclocked CPU to 4.2 Ghz. I installed a Samsung 850 EVO SSD SATA 3 and moved entire DCS installation over to it. Honestly, it is not much better. GRRRRR!

CaptainX: I cannot get anywhere near those settings and we are pretty similar in hardware except you have 24 GB of Ram and I have 16GB. What pixel density/ supersampling settings are you using? How about your Steam Asynchronous Reprojection and Interleaved Reprojection. are you using either both, none?

Just in case, save the C:\users\user_name\SAVED GAMES folder to elsewhere and let DCS recreate one from scratch. See if that helps.

It'll also remove the joystick customization but that's why you saved a copy. this is just to see if it helps. Other users reported some success.

Also, try with vscync on and off. There was a recent thread that seemed to indicate it may help in some cases (even if it shouldn't)

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Thanks for the Responses Guys;

Hansangb: I tried Jabbers settings too, but it crashed the program everytime before I could load a mission. I had to turn everything down to the lowest or just above lowest settings just to get it to run. I know my CPU and GPU are a step down but it seems like something is wrong. Would overclocking my CPU help (currently 3.5GHZ)? Am I short of RAM? 16 GB seems like it should be reasonable. Is there a way to log memory usage to see if that is the source of the crashes?

Or does that level of difficulty running the game suggest I have missed a step somewhere else on the software side? Just looking for suggestions of things I can try.

Your CPU looks to be the limiting factor. DCS loves fast cpu's. Try the overclocking route :)

Sorry never saw more posts added to the thread. Good luck :)

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Okay Guys, jumping back in here. I solve my AI Suite problem and have overclocked CPU to 4.2 Ghz. I installed a Samsung 850 EVO SSD SATA 3 and moved entire DCS installation over to it. Honestly, it is not much better. GRRRRR!

I have an Odyssey and its currently exhibiting major issues with DCS that I can recreate simply by starting up the NTTR Viggen Cold and Dark mission and proceeding through startup. About the time the radar comes up the system is almost unusable and then proceeds to hang / crash.

I'm fortunate to also have a Rift which works fine with the same settings. After a couple attempts I managed to submit feedback in the Microsoft Feedback Hub with a capture that will hopefully lead to some improvements. If you're interested, feel free to upvote that post (titled "SteamVR Judder and poor performance in DCS World") so hopefully we get some developer attention looking at DCS.

Hi Guys;

First Hansangb, I tried moving the saved game folder. It had not effect.

Second, Good News - I am flying. I used the Task Manager - "Performance" tab to monitor memory and CPU usage during startup of DCS until it crashed on the DCS main menu screen. Memory was fine but CPU usage hit 100% almost immediately without even flying. I tried overclocking my i5 6600K to 4.2 Ghz. No noticeable change. GRRRR!

Then I found this article on shutting down unneeded Windows 10 processes.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/10-things-to-disable-in-windows-10/

I also let the Nvidia "GPU tweak" program shutdown what it considered unneeded Windows processes. It report shutting down another 30 processes. My task manager performance monitor went from reporting CPU usage at idle around 14-18% down to 2%-4%. I then booted DCS and actually flew a mission (Normandy, Spitfire, Free Flight).

Next I started playing with graphics settings. I went to settings similar to what CaptainX showed in his screenshot above. Tried a mission and it worked great. I still need to play with setting but for the first time, it is starting to behave more as expected.

i5-6600K @ 4.2Ghz, GTX 1070, 16GB RAM, Samsung Odyssey, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals

I just did some more flying. (Instant Action, Normandy, Spitfire, Dogfight). I went to a number of high settings and moved the Pixel Density from .9 to 1.4. It was smooth and quite beautiful. Though I have to report that several RCAF pilots lost their lives on these test missions due to lack of training and stupidity. None the less, they had a great time right up until they died!

Thanks for all the help and suggestions Guys. You got me flying!

i5-6600K @ 4.2Ghz, GTX 1070, 16GB RAM, 500 GB 850 Evo SSD, Samsung Odyssey, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals

No, you don't need Steam version of DCS. You *do* need Steam VR.

So you need to sign up for VR to get the SteamVR. So follow this link:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=5608-UPAH-6427

^THIS^ :thumbup:

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X | i7 9700K@5.0GHz | Asus TUF OC RTX 4090 | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | HP Reverb G2 | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Croswinds

Hey there I'm glad you manage to make it work!

Another thing to consider, in case of future problems, my antivirus (panda) was acting up and making my pc choppy and laggy, especially after installing latest windows updates, so I deleted pretty much everything that was running on the background and its rock solid! :joystick:

Oh and if you wan't to compare performances with people using rift and oculus here is a good comparative:

Remember the Odyssey already has 78% more pixels than the Vive and Rift, so here's what that looks like. Running the Supersampling number on the left on the Odyssey is the equivalent of running the Supersampling number on the right on the Vive/Rift as far as your GPU is concerned:

Odyssey • Vive/Rift

0.6 • 1.07

0.7 • 1.24

0.8 • 1.42

0.9 • 1.60

1.0 • 1.78

1.1 • 1.96

1.2 • 2.13

1.3 • 2.31

1.4 • 2.49

1.5 • 2.67

1.6 • 2.84

1.7 • 3.02

1.8 • 3.20

Edited by CaptainX

Thanks CaptainX;

I cannot believe what a difference turning off unneeded processes in Windows 10 has made! And not just with DCS. I could not load Everest VR at all. Last night I ran in on very high settings with no problems. Assetto Corsa was studdering and visually poor before. Now I have Supersampling at 2.2 and the graphics setting just about maxed out and it runs smoothly. Wow!

My advice to anyone running Windows 10 is to read this article and try it.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/10-things-to-disable-in-windows-10/

i5-6600K @ 4.2Ghz, GTX 1070, 16GB RAM, 500 GB 850 Evo SSD, Samsung Odyssey, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals

Hey guys,

I have the Samsung Odyssey and have tried DCS and stumbling on a problem I simply cannot seem to resolve.

On the Odyssey, DCS right eye image is much lower than the left eye image... making it very hard to look at in VR. This is the ONLY app that does this. All my other apps running on the Odyssey display perfectly.

I also have the Oculus, but DCS looks perfect in it.

Everything is set up the correct way with SteamVR.

Any ideas?