Cold Start Tutorial - APU shutoff lengthy sequence

Ralphk

Hello,

I am facing a bug while following the cold start tutorial, when i reach the point to shut down the APU, the Yellow Square remains active despite pressing the APU shutdown button and the tutorial doesnt progress from there... please need urgent fix.

I don't know if this mission have gone through some updates recent years, and I haven't tested the mission myself, but there is a simple thing I have done to several old Huey missions to fix issues:

Open the mission in ME and without touching anything just save it and close. See if that helps.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

BST are not known to respond on this forum very often, so don't bother. Also, even if they noticed your bug report, the fix won't come until the next game patch, which will probably be the v 2.5 at the end of this month.

Meanwhile, take a look at various youtube startup vids. There's not much left to do in the tutorial after the bugged point - generators and rectifiers on the right panel to ON, both inverters on the right panel to AUTO, cockpit instruments and systems on pilot's and co-pilot's overhead triangular panels to ON, middle autopilot channel on the central floor panel to ON. Release the parking brake and you're ready to fly.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

• 8 months later...

Still not fixed sadly... The Weapon Employment training mission is also bugged and doesn't allow you to even take off.

Very disappointing that such an otherwise good module (which is rather expensive) has got bugs after all this time which should really be pretty easy to fix. Not good at all.

- i7-7700k

- 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz

- GTX 1080 8GB

- Installed on SSD

- TM Warthog

DCS Modules - A-10C; M-2000C; AV8B; F/A-18C; Ka-50; FC-3; UH-1H; F-5E; Mi-8; F-14; Persian Gulf; NTTR

A lot of random stuff in DCS got broken with the jump to 2.5 and it'll take a while before ED and the 3rd party developers are able to catch up.

BST have been full steam with the Hornet lately but now it's arrived there might be more free time to revisit and fix their existing modules (fingers crossed).

• 2 weeks later...
Still not fixed sadly... The Weapon Employment training mission is also bugged and doesn't allow you to even take off.

Which DCS version ?

I was able to take off in both the "Cold Start" and "Weapons Employment" training missions in Open Beta 2.5.3.21444.

However, the Mi-8 was 'stuck' to the ground and wouldn't even taxi in the "DISS-15 Doppler system employment" training mission (file date: 2016-12-17).

It's a fairly easy fix, moving the Mi-8 in the ME and letting it 'snap' to the '06 hot parking' start position so it's compatible with the 2.5 Caucasus map.

attachment.php?attachmentid=194119&stc=1&d=1537149981

"ARK-9 ADF set employment" looks to need a similar 'fix' if a player was to start the engine and want to fly - however the tutorial, explains tuning to the inner and outer NDB's and doesn't require take off, etc. so isn't effected normally - unlike the doppler mission that's built round a 87 km navigation flight with crosswinds.

1976238699_Mi8DopplerTrainingMissionFix2_5_3_21444.thumb.jpg.f5c2d1e1f0b14d9192f7692a615dc0d6.jpg

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

• 2 months later...

So, ten month since the OP...

I found the "problem".

It's no problem, only impatience...

Actually, after pressing the APU OFF button one needs to wait until the APU temperature has fallen to about 100 deg C. In the ME I saw that the argument used for going to the next step is 402 (APU_temperature, mainpanel_init.lua) with limits from 0.0 to 0.1, which translates to "below (roughly?) 100 deg C".

So I started the mission and after pressing APU OFF I waited and monitored the temperature. And yes, after a long wait, at 100 deg C the mission continued.

My suggestion to the developers, if at all noticing this thread, is to increase the upper limit for the argument or simply use the APU_pressure instead (falls quickly). I don't believe one have to wait for the temperature to fall that low IRL. It is actually also a flag timer of 5s before continue, so no risk of going to fast.

Just be aware, at the radar altimeter step it says "...It will take a few seconds to respond and perform a function test". The "a few seconds" turns out to be more like "a lot of seconds". Just be patient...

• Thanks 1

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

• 1 year later...

Yep I got stuck there too, just this evening. Was just googling a solution on my phone when the tutorial moved on after a few minutes.

Also there was one step where I was trying to unclicky my mouse so I could look round and my personal keybind for that of "X" had been removed from the control mapping and stopped working halfway through the tutorial. Put it back in and then the tutorial popped up a couple of sentences and moved on really fast, I heard the little tutorial 'chirp' and looked up to see the text for about a second before the tutorial moved on.

I'm hoping it was about the park brake because I was zoomed in on the cockpit panels and noticed out of the sliver of windshield in my vision that the sky was rotating........ Popped into F2 to see the helo was rotating on the spot with its wheels on the ground, I waited for the obvious incoming disaster but it just sat there spinning away on the spot and didnt move or hit anything!

Then I got worried by the "few seconds" of radar altimeter test not ending and it felt like the tutorial had stopped and the altimeter was broken, sitting there with the needle pinned to its maximum. Then after about 5 minutes it completed its test and moved on.

Come on ED, this is a great module but the tutorials desperately need updating. This is a really complex start up sequence and every tutorial or youtube guide does something different or with the order changed around over your tutorial.

Furthermore, when starting the right engine it sat at 20% for a while then died to 0%

I had to go look up the failed engine start procedure, tried that and it started right up.

All the best.

Rdg.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

• 3 years later...

Really feels like a bug to me. If it's not a bug then at least it's bad player experience. Still present in 2024. (Latest Open Beta)

- The APU turn off makes you wait like 3mins (maybe for engines warming up? IDK) and highlighting PRESS THE TURN OFF BUTTON, even after you pressed it. It would be better if it reacted to the button press and told the player "now wait until X happens" at the very least.

- Same with RADAR ALTIMETER power. Makes you wait for like 5 miniutes after that step with no reason given. If this is correct behavior at least give explanation what the wait is about.

Other than that I think the startup tutorial was pretty solid. Really hope this gets fixed in the next ten years or so 😉

Edit, for posterity, more bugs found:

Doppler radar tutorial also mistakenly lists the [AFT] distance key as "H" which it definitely isn't by default.

</necromancy>

Edited by MavenRaven

2 hours ago, MavenRaven said:

Really feels like a bug to me. If it's not a bug then at least it's bad player experience.

Me too, I really disliked the official cold start training, so a few years ago I did my own take for this mission, perhaps you would like to try it:

best regards,

Eduardo

• Thanks 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

• Flappie changed the title to Cold Start Tutorial - APU shutoff lengthy sequence