Unveiling the VKB TECS Throttle Control System

UIV

for that it will take as long as it takes to make it.

I'm curious about the design process to create such a product. How is it done ? What takes time ?

I'll buy :

МиГ-23МЛД & МЛА МиГ-27К МиГ-25 Mirage III F-4E any IJ plane 1950' Korea Dynamic campaign module

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After purchasing a certain unnamed U.S. "high-end" HOTAS product, which was anything but, except in price (twice), I'm much more interested in a well made, well engineered, durable product, and I'm willing to wait and pay for it ...

Is there a US company out there selling HOTAS as consumer products ? You seem to imply they're well known but I can't think of a name.

There are only two types of aircraft, fighters and targets. - Major Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson, USMC

Is there a US company out there selling HOTAS as consumer products ? You seem to imply they're well known but I can't think of a name.

He is likely referring to TM...

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Thrustmaster was an american company a long time ago, in fact they've been under french ownership well longer than under american control now. That's probably why I could not think about them as a US company.

There are only two types of aircraft, fighters and targets. - Major Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson, USMC

I'm curious about the design process to create such a product. How is it done ? What takes time ?

It's a good question, and when time permits we will probably make a film about what it takes to create an adult toy (did I say something funny? ;)) and how it is organized.

Key words, as usually, are "when time permits" - which may mean anything at all. But at least we are thinking about it. So it may some day become real.

>

Best Regards from VKB Lair,

AeroGator

• 2 weeks later...
Key words, as usually, are "when time permits" - which may mean anything at all. But at least we are thinking about it. So it may some day become real.

I'm not asking that much (film format) but indeed it would be even more interesting in that way :smilewink:

I'll buy :

МиГ-23МЛД & МЛА МиГ-27К МиГ-25 Mirage III F-4E any IJ plane 1950' Korea Dynamic campaign module

Peek at this topic, there the main guy of TECS (Borada) development made post, discuss ideas and tech with Russian players.

Will see too that this project still in early stage, the "it will take as long as it takes to make it" will take some time. ;)

https://forum.il2sturmovik.ru/topic/6689-tecs-%D0%BF%D0%B5%D1%80%D0%B2%D1%8B%D0%B9-%D0%B2%D0%B7%D0%B3%D0%BB%D1%8F%D0%B4/page/71/

Edited by Sokol1_br

Likely not in my lifetime lol.

I think they may have been a bit premature starting this "unveiling" thread.

From the very first post in this thread over a year ago:

TECS (Twin Engine Control System) is a completely new throttle control device made for today's and future jet warbirds.

This unique state of art device is already out of "development" phase, and is currently entering "preparation for serial production".

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

... I think they may have been a bit premature starting this "unveiling" thread.

From the very first post in this thread over a year ago: ...

And this is exactly why post #323 and following made perfect sense. It remembers me when ED announced the EDGE engine literally years before it came out and kind of shot themselves in the foot being "too early" and teasing everyone but don't release it.

• 2 weeks later...

At this point, after 2 years of absolutely nothing from VKB about this device, I hope some other manufacturer take the same idea on their new products :D

FlighRIG => CPU: RyZen 5900x | RAM: 64GB Corsair 3000Mhz | GPU: nVIDIA RTX 4090 FE | OS Storage: SSD NVMe Samsung 850 Pro 512GB, DCS Storage: SSD NVMe Sabrent 1TB | Device: Multipurpose-UFC, VirPil T-50, TM WARTHOG Throttle, TrackHat, MFD Cougar with screen.

Our Servers => [ITA] Banshee | Krasnodar - PvE | PersianConquest PvE Live Map&Stats | Syria Liberation PvE Conquest

Support us on twitch subscribing with amazon prime account linked, it's free!

Yeah I would not mind replacing my Warthog Throttle, but the Virpil offering just is not too appealing to me.

Guess I will be hanging in there with the Warthog throttle for a while yet.

Don B

Of course! We wish them luck! :smilewink:

As much as I like what I see in this thread I'm a little concerned. Think about it...

Belorussian base

Polish stick extension

French grip

Croatian pedals

Russian throttle

I worry about what's really happening on that USB bus with all this stuff talking to each other when I'm not around... :) :joystick:

• 2 weeks later...
VKB, a lot of us are disappointed Virpil's new throttle (T-50CM) doesn't have an AB detent. This could be your moment if you capitalise on it.

Come on VKB, Virpil have basically given you the throttle market with this oversight.

Consider the thought to only release the middle part of the throttle system (first), especially with VR on the horizon. The advantage of the whole system is diminishing the more time goes on since VR gets more ripe each week. You know it's true.

VKB, a lot of us are disappointed Virpil's new throttle (T-50CM) doesn't have an AB detent. This could be your moment if you capitalise on it.

Come on VKB, Virpil have basically given you the throttle market with this oversight.

If you look their mockup model for their vision, they very well know the need for good detent. And they are not just visualizing in it the detent but actual finger lifts and palm buttons. They seem to have wish to add the real kind mechanical stops for stop and afterburner, so you need to use fingerlifts (push down) to get to afterburner (question is, would they manage then make the "push through"?) as well press swing down with palm to get the throttle to stop position from idle.

What I now wish for the VKB design change, is to actually eliminate all the buttons and switches behind the throttle, and extend the throttle base little bit wider, and make the throttle itself travel through the whole base, giving more accurate large throttle movement. And then that would open up the reason for customers as well get the additional rear panel or front panel if need for extended buttons and switches, while delivering only the basics for the side of the base (like extra axis for AV-8B nozzles, few rotaries, few buttons).

What I would like to see, is programmable throttle detents, so at different aircrafts the detent can be set same physically, even when they are different virtually.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

That would all be nice, but I am not going to be able to hold out as long as it apparently

is going to take for them to bring out a throttle unit.

Don B

What I would like to see, is programmable throttle detents, so at different aircrafts the detent can be set same physically, even when they are different virtually.

That is done with the curve setting, however the VKB software don't provide the needed tool for this yet.

The only soft I know to make this properly is Joystick Gremlin.

We can set the AB point exactly where we want depending on the aircrafts we'll fly, and keep perfect linearity before and after the point.

JhH1Txl.png

So, because our physical detente doesn't move, we change the height of the AB point depending on the Aircrafts we fly.

Edited by Ant0ine

As much as I like what I see in this thread I'm a little concerned. Think about it...

Belorussian base

Polish stick extension

French grip

Croatian pedals

Russian throttle

I worry about what's really happening on that USB bus with all this stuff talking to each other when I'm not around... :) :joystick:

Wars have started with less!

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

That is done with the curve setting, however the VKB software don't provide the needed tool for this yet.

The only soft I know to make this properly is Joystick Gremlin.

We can set the AB point exactly where we want depending on the aircrafts we'll fly, and keep perfect linearity before and after the point.

So, because our physical detente doesn't move, we change the height of the AB point depending on the Aircrafts we fly.

Sure, but that should be done in the DCS really. It should be easy to do for DCS axis config so that you take the throttle and you push the throttle forward until the afterburner detent is reached and then you set that range in DCS axis to AB. It could/should be a general config even then for all, so even if every module has different range, it would still be same for all.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Sure, but that should be done in the DCS really. It should be easy to do for DCS axis config so that you take the throttle and you push the throttle forward until the afterburner detent is reached and then you set that range in DCS axis to AB. It could/should be a general config even then for all, so even if every module has different range, it would still be same for all.

Yep that would be nice, just like in Falcon 4 if I remember correctly.

VKB DevCfg tool in Action > Profile > Axes > Response Curve is not able to set this same curve?

I can't do it personally. While we can set the Y value pretty accurately, we can only set those value every ten of the physical range (X). So if the physical detent (X) is at let's say 85%.. We can't do much to make the virtual detent (Y) match the physical detent without killing the linearity.

fJtnUtA.png

Edited by Ant0ine

• 2 weeks later...
Yep that would be nice, just like in Falcon 4 if I remember correctly.

I can't do it personally. While we can set the Y value pretty accurately, we can only set those value every ten of the physical range (X). So if the physical detent (X) is at let's say 85%.. We can't do much to make the virtual detent (Y) match the physical detent without killing the linearity.

fJtnUtA.png

Where is this skin from please? Thanks.