Unveiling the VKB TECS Throttle Control System

UIV

Is this the final design? There seem to be quite a few generic squared buttons around (e.g. the four on the right side of the throttle, perhaps for the flaps?) some apparently without having a specific function assigned.

I love the idea of having the front add-on console, but I'm not thrilled with the chosen default functions on it. I find it puzzling that I don't see something resembling the autopilot and radar mode panels included anywhere (there's only the radar on/off button).

For example, the autopilot panel is a pretty standard fit for the later Soviet planes I think (meaning at least 6-8 buttons in two rows, ideally with some light indicating the AP is on) and the fighters have some wcs/radar mode selection encoder, three switches for the scanning zone (left/front/right), a rotary control for the elevation plus various 2 and 3 position switches for turning the radar on/off, hemisphere selection, rws/tws modes, lock mode, laser ranger, etc.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

also some kind of slider for zoom? im using the slider 1 on the warthog.

I think is time for manufactures think in add specific computer games controls requirements in their "lookalike" real throttles.

You can use that 'rotarie' in front of left grip for zoom, but will need switch mode for use then as "antenna elevation".

The ideal is have a small slider/rotarie under thumb for control that - computer game - "zoom", thumb has better motor control than little finger. :joystick:

When I was looking at this I was assuming that both the index finger and thumb hats acted (or could at least optionally act) as analog sticks/TDC slews; is that not the case?

This HAT's are in that way in MCG, so why not?

This create the ideal scenery, a guy want analog mini-stick in that HAT on middle finger for 'slew', can set this HAT in analog mode, but if want use then as buttons (e.g. WW2 games) can set in that way.

But another guy want that HAT under thumb as analog mini-stick for use "kosmosim", can set in that way, and when want as buttons for COMM in "jets" can set in that way.

;)

Edited by Sokol1_br

Speed brake switch matches that of the Hornet quite well (not the Warthog style), and the amount of buttons available on the throttle itself is 1:1, with the exception of maybe missing the toggle on the left/outside of the throttle.

Only if it's momentary aft, toggle forward (from the NATOPS manual).

2.8.4.8.1 Speedbrake Switch. The speedbrake switch is on the right throttle grip and has three

unmarked positions.

Aft detent Extends the speedbrake as long as the switch is held aft. Springloaded to

center detent.

Forward detent Retracts the speedbrake or maintains the speedbrake retracted and prevents

creep.

Center detent Stops the speedbrake in any position. The speedbrake may slowly creep

open.

The airbrake may creep in the middle position (wonder if that will be modelled in DCS), so pilots normally put that switch to forward. That's the same logic used on most western aircraft where you can extend airbrakes partially (A-10, F-15, F-5, F-16, etc).

When I was looking at this I was assuming that both the index finger and thumb hats acted (or could at least optionally act) as analog sticks/TDC slews; is that not the case?

The shape does not suggest that function, but who knows...

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

<...>I want conventional pedals w/toe brakes (ones that actually work, unlike my crappy Saitek pedals).

So, my question is, are there any plans for a new pedal set along more traditional lines?

You have a choice now:

BRD

Slaw Device

all are brilliant.

I think is time for manufactures think in add specific computer games controls requirements in their "lookalike" real throttles.

You can use that 'rotarie' in front of left grip for zoom, but will need switch mode for use then as "antenna elevation".

The ideal is have a small slider/rotarie under thumb for control that - computer game - "zoom", thumb has better motor control than little finger. joystick.gif

wink.gif

indeed

Speed brake switch matches that of the Hornet quite well (not the Warthog style), and the amount of buttons available on the throttle itself is 1:1, with the exception of maybe missing the toggle on the left/outside of the throttle. Again, I don't see anything to complain about.

At least a three-way toggle on the right side missed.

And a button on the front side

And the rotary.

Edited by -=archer=-

i7-6700k (4.7 GHz) // RAM 32 Gb // GTX 1070 // // Windows 10 64-bit LTSB;

VKB Gunfighter Mk2 Pro + VKB MCG Pro // BRD-F1(v.2) // Oculus Rift cv1 // BRD-N(v. №4) // VKB King Cobra MkII Fat // VKB King Cobra MkIII Fat // Saitek X55 // Saitek throttle Quadrant // Microsoft FFB 2 // Saitek X45 // Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog // VKB MK20-3 Pro Pedals // VKB RDRXXI-L // TrackIR 5

What they (if feasible) should do, is to design input devices where you have generic, empty 'sockets' instead of already pre-installed buttons, hats and switches. The customer then orders the throttle and with it as many hats, switches, buttons and places them in whatever conifig he desires into those sockets. And, if one day a hat or so goes south, you simply install a new one without even having to opening up the entire device.

For instance with the TECS, i personally would probably install another 4 way head where that grey lower thumb button is installed, and the same with the grey front button on the right throttle.

What they (if feasible) should do, is to design input devices where you have generic, empty 'sockets' instead of already pre-installed buttons, hats and switches. The customer then orders the throttle and with it as many hats, switches, buttons and places them in whatever conifig he desires into those sockets. And, if one day a hat or so goes south, you simply install a new one without even having to opening up the entire device.

For instance with the TECS, i personally would probably install another 4 way head where that grey lower thumb button is installed, and the same with the grey front button on the right throttle.

quite right.

but there are some modes that should be controlled (much more convenient) by an only button but not a hat position.

VKB Gunfighter Mk2 Pro + VKB MCG Pro // BRD-F1(v.2) // Oculus Rift cv1 // BRD-N(v. №4) // VKB King Cobra MkII Fat // VKB King Cobra MkIII Fat // Saitek X55 // Saitek throttle Quadrant // Microsoft FFB 2 // Saitek X45 // Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog // VKB MK20-3 Pro Pedals // VKB RDRXXI-L // TrackIR 5

@some1

Ever looked at a Russian throttle unit? Even the new one do not appear to be festooned with buttons.

which Russian-style throttle do You mean?

A better way to word your statement "it's the opposite of what WESTERN aircraft manufacturers are doing".

much better way to say: "it's an opposite to a VR-friendly modern combat simulator controller".

Thanks for the pictures of the front !

One more question I have at this point is if the 2 switches on the thumb side of the throttle grips, additionally to the 4 way and 2 buttons are either just 2 way hats or 4 wat hats or 3 position switches with permanent positions ?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

*unexpected flight behaviour* Oh shiii*** ! What ? Why ? What is happening ?

This looks truly awesome. I especially like the addon panels.

Main criterion for me will be that it has all of the functions of the Warthog in roughly the same spots, so that I can conformably fly and operate the A-10C. I don't want to be changing throttles for different aircraft.

I hope the layout gets updated to reflect this.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

unfortunately they said than there won't be any layout changes..

At least a three-way toggle on the right side missed.

And a button on the front side

And the rotary.

What 3-way toggle? There is what appears to be an analog stick/4-way + push where the Hornet has it's 3-way CM Dispense switch...so 2 more press options, meaning this could then be used for the Radio Mic switch like the Warthog. It then has two additional 2 (maybe more?) way switches, one for the speed brake and one for whatever (in the Hornet this is the 2-way radio switch). It has a cage/uncage button in nearly the same spot as the Hornet, and then it has an extra button. So, not sure what 3-way (or more?) you see missing.

On the front the Hornet has a TDC slew, 2 buttons, and a wheel. This has 2 buttons, a TDC slew (assuming this is a ministick), and an antenna elevation wheel. In other words, it has the exact same things.

The rotary is there.

Maybe I am missing something? But I am looking side by side with the NATOPS manual...

Edited by =Buckeye=

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

In the real Hornet The dispense switch is a 3-way toggle. The middle position is off, countermeasures are dispensed when it's in the middle or aft position, while forward position gives only consent to release (automatics release them when needed). You can't emulate that with HAT or momentary switch.

The speed brake is a 3 way switch with forward toggle and momentary aft position as I described in the previous post.

Comms switch is a 4-way HAT.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Looking even better now! :thumbup:

One more question I have at this point is if the 2 switches on the thumb side of the throttle grips, additionally to the 4 way and 2 buttons are either just 2 way hats or 4 wat hats or 3 position switches with permanent positions ?

I would also like to know this.

In the real Hornet The dispense switch is a 3-way toggle. The middle position is off, countermeasures are dispensed when it's in the middle or aft position, while forward position gives only consent to release (automatics release them when needed). You can't emulate that with HAT or momentary switch.

Understood that the speed brake might be a little different as you described previously -- according to the NATOPS there is extend/off/retract, so we could at least mirror it in a simple fashion, perhaps the Config software could allow us to partially extend it if we tap it, or to fully extended if we hold for 1+ second.

What am I missing? I still don't see the 3-way that was referenced.

3vdT90A.jpg

DQUizhO.jpg

Obviously TBD on if there is a pinky switch on the outside or not.

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Looks like the Afterburner and Idle locks are "Push" for AB (as it has detents in it for better grip when you push them down to get throttle move forward) and "Lift" for idle, at the back as it has none. Or it could be as well just "Press" down as well with your wrist when you pull throttle back, as there ain't any detents and is so on "smoother" for wrist and they are shaped backward C.

And what is nice, is that the throttle is a slider, not a tilting one.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

And what is nice, is that the throttle is a slider, not a tilting one.

Just curious why that will be nice for you?

I am trying to imagine using a slider for a throttle, guess hard for me to tell how I might like it as I have never used one, both my Warthog throttle and CH Throttle Quadrant are rotating ones.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

about the slider vs tilting one: i have the TM TWCS and it certainly has a good amount of stiction which i as of yet still have to remedy with Nyogel. So i guess sliders are generally more prone to stiction than other designs. But, i always wondered, how a tiling throttle actually is set up internally?

Understood that the speed brake might be a little different as you described previously -- according to the NATOPS there is extend/off/retract, so we could at least mirror it in a simple fashion, perhaps the Config software could allow us to partially extend it if we tap it, or to fully extended if we hold for 1+ second.
Perhaps you won't have enough time to measure the 1+ second during fighting maneuvers.

What am I missing? I still don't see the 3-way that was referenced.

China hat.

I am trying to imagine using a slider for a throttle, guess hard for me to tell how I might like it as I have never used one, both my Warthog throttle and CH Throttle Quadrant are rotating ones.

Luckily you miss that sliding "plastic drawer rails mechanism" of CH PRO Throttle. :D

China hat.

Ah, I guess I am just assuming one of the side buttons is a 3-way (Pos 1- OFF - Pos 2) whereas you're not. Got it.

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

I really wish to know about VKB mounting system

They really do need that, one of the reasons I cancelled my MCG Pro order for my still new Gunfighter sitting here.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|