Black Shark or sabre/F5

thrustvector

I fly the F5 almost daily. Black Shark is great if you want the A10 of helicopters. F5 is great if you want pure sex appeal. Both are fun in their own ways. I prefer the F5.

The Black Shark has more to do, capability-wise and more features. The F5 has fewer capabilities but is more difficult to master because nothing is automated (e.g., must learn bombing tables and practice bombing runs over and over to be proficient for dumb bombing).

Edited by Dino Might

Shark is much more involved than Sabre or F5.

Shark was here from the beginning .

I used to fly it regularily. Would create a Quick mission with tons of ground enemies and try to kill them all with the weapon systems. Very satifying but difficult cause the enemy could see through the trees. Tons to learn but satisfying as hell when mastered. All started with a youtube video on how to blow stuff up using the shark.

I bought the sabre day 1 because it was an icon to me. Great fun to. I have the F5 as well.

To me the jets are like a burger and fries. Ka50 is a steak dinner with all the trimmings.

I like both and don't necessarilly want to eat steak everyday.

Edited by Slap_Chop
More Info

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy and I've had both.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

KA-50 without pedals?

Hi Guys,

I'm looking itno what to get during the sale right now... so far I only own FC3 + the f-5E. I got myself TrackIR5 recently, which is a must, should've done it earlier, but so far I am flying with a basic HOTAS - the Thrustmaster Hotas X. It works for me, but a Warthog with all accessories is definitely on my wishlist...

Question: I haven't flown a heli in DCS yet - Huey or MI-8 are out, probably too difficult to fly like this, but is the KA-50 flyable with my current configuration (no pedals - just joystick twist or slider on the throttle to control rudders / tail rotor) ?

Alternatively I might get the Mirage 2000...

Suggestions are appreciated - btw I wish you all a happy New Year + safe landings in 2018!

:helpsmilie:

Heya, well at the moment my joystick is Brocken, I have the same as you, and I have always been good with the keyboard, and I can fly it like that, so you're joystick shouldn't be a problem, it took me a few goes to learn startup off by heart as because of the systems available very easy to fly

... I got myself TrackIR5 recently, which is a must,...

Well, in my opinion, pedals are equally a must for any helicopter flights. But that said it's not impossible to fly without. It's even an option for rudder trim in the options so you can release your twist grip or whatever to center after trim.

But I really recommend you to put some money aside for a decent pair of pedals in the future if it turns out you like flying rotorwings.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

Well, in my opinion, pedals are equally a must for any helicopter flights. But that said it's not impossible to fly without. It's even an option for rudder trim in the options so you can release your twist grip or whatever to center after trim.

But I really recommend you to put some money aside for a decent pair of pedals in the future if it turns out you like flying rotorwings.

Ok thanks - I got Nevada + Combined Arms (downloaded half of the night :music_whistling:) so far and I think I'll go for the Black Shark as well - still got one day left!

The shark is the best module. That "might" change when the hornet is released. Maybe...

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

Really depends on your play style. I flew the f5 for some months and it wont completely wreck the other planes but you can get some pretty good kills with it and it is great fun. Recomend it!

FACTA NON VERBA

EX MERO MOTU

Those two I will never forget!

Have to throw in my 2cents.. if you don't already have the Ka-50 module.. get the Ka-50 Module. It is one of the shining modules of DCS. It's the most heavily armed helicopter we have in DCS World at the moment.

The F-5E is cool and all.. but probably IMO the least effective at delivering it's payload when you compare it to the A-10C or the AV8B which can carry similar armament. That would be because it's pretty oldschool and you have to manually adjust the gunsight and determine approach altitude for a bombing run.

The Blackshark comes with a ton of SP content and is quite a deadly chopper. From personal experience - I've gotten much more fun factor out of the Ka-50 than the F-5E. Although I do own both.

I also highly recommend a playthrough of the Deployment campaign that comes with the Ka-50 This is where most of my learning has come from flying mostly solo. I know I'll be flying through it a bit once 2.5 hits.

Either purchase - expect a learning curve.. F5 for me took practice to be able to accurately hit with bombs.

Blackhawk - just learning to fly this thing without crossing the rotors is a challenge all in itself. Once you do that it's rather maneuverable.

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

Gotta go with the shark with the 2.5 caucasus map ... looks like it's going to be amazing for helis

+1

Exactly what I wanted to say. With those collidable and LOS blocking trees It will be almost a whole new game :thumbup:

I went for the 'Shark during the recent sale, as well as Nevada map + Combined Arms as planned... well... as expected, mastering the Shark will be a long-term 'project'... so far I'm happy the module works + I can fly straight (more or less...) - and yes, it's really no big deal without pedals... pedals are the least of my problems with this thing! However, I'll probably speed up getting a proper HOTAS with lots of buttons to map properly, and pedals included of course!

As for NTTR, I'm still fighting with my graphics set-up... might have to upgrade my hardware.

Just a recommendation to really learn to master it:

Turn off all the blue lighted buttons (stabilization/AP) on your right side and learn to fly that way. Later on you let them be active of course.

This is how I flew it for rather long time and it really helped in mastering this beast. You get a better feeling how it can be handled this way.

But as I said, fly with them activated later on since they help you in other respects.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

Question: but is the KA-50 flyable with my current configuration (no pedals - just joystick twist or slider on the throttle to control rudders / tail rotor) ?

I fly the Ka-50 with a twist stick and it is quite doable, especially with auto-pilot features like heading-hold, route following, etc. But even without auto-pilot, it is quite controllable with a twist stick. The only issue I have is trying to hover in a heavy crosswind where the heading-hold can't fully compensate. Again, doable, but takes some effort and concentration.

P.S. the Ka-50 doesn't have a tail rotor so no need to worry about countering torque.