Need help with TrackIR5 please

I would check first to see if there is sunlight playing havoc with you. There is a way to get the application to show where light is striking it from, but an easier way is to drape your area so little to no light can get in and see if your TrackIR starts working correctly. Even indirect sunlight, bouncing off a wall, can trick the camera. Anyways, for an assymetrical and erratic behaviour, that's my best guess.

The only other thought I have is that something is occluding the view, meaning your camera can't see your clip when you turn your head a certain way because your head or something else gets in the way. Your camera should be offset to the side of your monitor your clip is on, so it gets a good view even when you turn your head.

Use the TrackIR software to make sure that the camera sees all 3 points clearly when you turn your head, maybe your camera or headset are not aligned properly.

Also check for any reflective surfaces behind you that may throw off the camera.

Thanks smallberries.

I play only at night - with all the ambient lights switched-off. Will try drapes as well tonight.

As for your second point; the camera is in fact offset to side of the monitor the clip is on...and at the point where it behaves all erratic - i can see that the 3 green lights of the trackclip are still there on the right window - I guess that goes to show that nothing is occluding the view right?

|| नभ स्पर्शं दीप्तम् || - Touch the sky with glory

TrackIR 5 Pro or regular?

How far do you turn your head to the right for it to start acting erratically?

What exactly does erratically mean?

If you have only the TIR SW started and open on your desktop, when you turn your head to the right far enough for it to start acting erratically, what does the TIR SW show?

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

I can't stand my track5 but can't play without it, just doesn't feel natural at all, can't wait until I can get proper motion tracking, probs when I get VR.

My advice would be to move the camera further back from the monitor, I put mine on the wall about 10cm further back and a bit higher, made it much better, you could make a very simple stand if you don't have a wall.

Make sure you have selected the correct camera (if you are using LED or reflectors)

I had to speed up the axis steeply at the end so I can gat a proper 180 view, I put the camera high so I can look up but then I can't look down! So moved it back down and sharpened up the z axis too.

Trying to picture your setup, as you have the track clip on the right and the camera on the right, it will see more movement turning your head left I think, turning it right it will go out of range sooner, is it just 2 X led or 3?

Edited by Mr_Burns

TrackIR 5 Pro or regular?

How far do you turn your head to the right for it to start acting erratically?

What exactly does erratically mean?

If you have only the TIR SW started and open on your desktop, when you turn your head to the right far enough for it to start acting erratically, what does the TIR SW show?

Hi Cap...I have a TrackIR 5 Clip Pro

When I turn my head to the extreme right is when it starts acting erratically...

By erratically I mean, the head starts bouncing in every direction...

This is exactly what the TIR S/W show...the head graphics bouncing in every direction...however the 'camera' view shows the 3 green track clip points.

I can't stand my track5 but can't play without it, just doesn't feel natural at all, can't wait until I can get proper motion tracking, probs when I get VR.

My advice would be to move the camera further back from the monitor, I put mine on the wall about 10cm further back and a bit higher, made it much better, you could make a very simple stand if you don't have a wall.

Make sure you have selected the correct camera (if you are using LED or reflectors)

I had to speed up the axis steeply at the end so I can gat a proper 180 view, I put the camera high so I can look up but then I can't look down! So moved it back down and sharpened up the z axis too.

Trying to picture your setup, as you have the track clip on the right and the camera on the right, it will see more movement turning your head left I think, turning it right it will go out of range sooner, is it just 2 X led or 3?

Hi Mr. Burns...

I don't have a wall at the back of the monitor...can you share some visual examples of this 'stand' you're suggesting?...

I can confirm that I have the correct camera = track clip pro selected...

Am sorry, didn't quite follow the 'speed up the axis steeply' bit...

I have the track clip on the left side of my headset...have 3x LEDs on the track clip pro...

Do you wear glasses? If so and they are like mine at a certain point they reflect and cause a momentary erratic behaviour.

Yes I do Trubshaw...Wow! Is there nothing we can do about it? I mean...can't do anything without ma glasses!!!

Will need to test this hypothesis out though...

No, that is not correct. With the Clip Pro the Clip carries 3 IR LED's which produce the light source for the camera to track. I wear glasses as well and they never played any role at all, as the camera is not producing the IR light to be reflected of the reflectors as with the regular TIR, the IR LED's on the track clip are.

Are you sure that the camera view is showing three GREEN dots and that none of them have turned RED when it goes crazy? One of the major issues I had with using the TIR was that when you turn your head in any one direction too far, the camera cannot properly monitor the IR LED's, and then your view jumps in a different direction very extremely. This was especially prevalent when I was looking down to the floor of the P-51D to read the fuel gauges.

The solution is to set your curves so that you can turn your view as far necessary without having to turn or tilt your head so far the camera cannot assess the LED's.

• Like 1

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

No, that is not correct. With the Clip Pro the Clip carries 3 IR LED's which produce the light source for the camera to track. I wear glasses as well and they never played any role at all, as the camera is not producing the IR light to be reflected of the reflectors as with the regular TIR, the IR LED's on the track clip are.

Are you sure that the camera view is showing three GREEN dots and that none of them have turned RED when it goes crazy? One of the major issues I had with using the TIR was that when you turn your head in any one direction too far, the camera cannot properly monitor the IR LED's, and then your view jumps in a different direction very extremely. This was especially prevalent when I was looking down to the floor of the P-51D to read the fuel gauges.

The solution is to set your curves so that you can turn your view as far necessary without having to turn or tilt your head so far the camera cannot assess the LED's.

Thanks Cap.

Yes, you're right about the glasses...tried playing with lenses last night but the problem persists...

I will try setting steeper curves and give another go... will keep y'all posted...

Thanks so much for jumping in to help guys...really appreciate your time all!

Also, make sure the LEDs on the camera are OFF by selecting "Track clip" on the TIR software (if you see four red dots on the camera itself, it means it's emitting IR light, you don't want that when using the track clip).

It's still possible to have parasitic reflections though, from the sun, as the other said, the best way to diagnose the problem is to have the camera view selected and look for any masking / parasites (red).