[MERGED] DirectX 11/12, OpenGL, VulkanAPI Discussion

3. mGPU, While Both API's No Longer Need SLi/CrossFireX Drivers/Support from AMD/nVidia,

Vulkan's mGPU Modes work better than DX12's Implicit/Explicit/Linked/Unlinked Modes.

Both API's Offer resource Pooling (ie 2x 8 GB GPUs will show a a single 16GB GPU). Vulkan's just works better, a lot of developers are having issues w/ DX12's MGPU Modes.

1) Does Vulkan mGpu need to run the same 2 Gpus (same model) like Sli or can Gpus be differents ? (different models ? brands nvidia/amd ?)

2) Will Vulkan mGpu work in DCS when Vulkan will be used in DCS ?

3) Will Vulkan mGpu work with DCS's VR ? (or will mGpu never work with VR like an oculus chief, quoted by Skatezilla, said ?)

Yeah, 3dfx Voodoo card was *THE BOMB* I remember one consulting gig (was there to troubleshoot why print jobs weren't working, to install some firewalls, etc) and got to talking with the IT director. I solved the printing problem so we had some time to kill. I mentioned how much I loved flying sims and Doom's of the world and how it would never work w/o 3dfx card. He said "wait a minute....it'll make games/graphics sing?"

Next day, he dragged his home computer in. I installed it for him, loaded the drivers etc. He was a big RC plane guy and had a real live RC controller that interfaced with a plane on the computer. He was blown away by the polygon hills that painted "instantaneously" instead of wireframes etc.

And look at DCS 2.5. Simply amazing. I couldn't stop grinning doing touch-n-go's with A10 in VR.

I remember the first GeForce 256, with the "Transform & Lighting" technology.

It was supposed to be the ultimate 3D card, and you would never need more power for anything.

Oh well, that was some time ago :)

i7 7700k • 1080Ti • 32GB @ 3200 MHz • 525GB M.2 • Oculus Rift

Warthog + Pro Flight

I remember the first GeForce 256, with the "Transform & Lighting" technology.

It was supposed to be the ultimate 3D card, and you would never need more power for anything.

Oh well, that was some time ago :)

Way back, my 1st son wasn't yet born then.

I were at that Cebit, 2001 I think it was, only for this Geforce Dx7 T&L thing... hoped Flanker 2.5 would pick it up. We know how this went on....VULKAN ;)

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

1) Does Vulkan mGpu need to run the same 2 Gpus (same model) like Sli or can Gpus be differents ? (different models ? brands nvidia/amd ?)

2) Will Vulkan mGpu work in DCS when Vulkan will be used in DCS ?

3) Will Vulkan mGpu work with DCS's VR ? (or will mGpu never work with VR like an oculus chief, quoted by Skatezilla, said ?)

1. Vulkan mGPU Supports MixedGPU, you can run an AMD and nVidia Card together if you wish.

2. Cannot Comment on Features to be implemented into DCS,

3. OculusVR API and SteamVR API do not use mGPU modes.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

• 1 month later...

Great question unfortunately there are very few games using DirectX12. The benefit for multi GPU is crazy though. No need for SLI support as DirectX12 just combines all your graphics cards into one card giving you full use of GPU memory and processing. They can even be totally different video cards.

Great question unfortunately there are very few games using DirectX12. The benefit for multi GPU is crazy though. No need for SLI support as DirectX12 just combines all your graphics cards into one card giving you full use of GPU memory and processing. They can even be totally different video cards.

Only if those options are built into the game. Given how old DCS is I can't see it working out that way but I was once wrong a few years ago so you never know.

Changing to DirectX12 would reduce the available potential customers to sell to

And what about current customers who are not using DirectX12 ?

Edited by Johnny_Rico

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests

Changing to DirectX12 would reduce the available potential customers to sell to

And what about current customers who are not using DirectX12 ?

Most of titles supporting DirectX 12 also support DirectX 12 and give a user possibility to choose which version to use. I don't see any reason why it would have to be different with DCS. They already support and will keep supporting DirectX 11, at least for quite some time.

Anyway, while on the paper the DirectX 12 should give better performance the final results depend on the programmers using it.

It's easy to find examples of games, even AAA budget ones running much better with DirectX 11 than DirectX 12.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

Whether those dream scenarios of using two or more 'different' gpus to its full individual potential and that without imposing any cpu/memory overhead will ever come true with Directx or Vulkan remians to be seen...but i am fairly doubtful. Delighted to be proven wrong of course. I am happy though that ED chose Vulkan which will as far as i can predict become the industry standard. Doesn't matter whether this comes sometime this year or next or there after...but once it reaches a mature state in DCS and EDs manages to stay at the frontier of the continous Vulkan releases....things can only improve!

Dont know if you guys realized this but:

-DirectX12 is not coming to DCS.

-DCS will be Transitioning to Vulkan API

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3411108&postcount=5

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

Hopefully with Vulkan in pipeline, we could see Linux support too?

imho, Linux would be the best choice for dedicated Servers in DC's. The cost per month does also consider which OS is installed. A linux is usually for free, whereas any MS Srv OS will cost you at least 10-30€/month more.

In a perfect World, there were 2-10 servers sharing the mission and load and hundreds if not thousands of clients connected.

That I would call a netcode ;)

:cry: stop dreaming :cry:

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

The more traction Vulkan gets with DCS the better, multicore systems just aren't being utilised to the best of their ability with the sim in the current state. Would be nice to see development shift to it once F/A-18C is in Release

I don't always openly list my things. But when I do, I put it in my signature.

The more traction Vulkan gets with DCS the better, multicore systems just aren't being utilised to the best of their ability with the sim in the current state. Would be nice to see development shift to it once F/A-18C is in Release

Pices of vulkan API is already in the current code so I believe the development is well on its way. Will of course take some time so who knows, next year?

I have windows 10 and then direct12 as many imagine.

I can not climb to direct11 what can you do?

Does the same dcs work well or does direct11 work better?

you are all fine, your win10 can use Dx11 and run DCS just fine.

Dx12 is coupled with Win10 or later only, not for any earlier like Win7.

Vulkan works on all of them and even on Linux or Mac.

DCS will move to Vulkan as ED said.

I thought I remembered Wags in one of his videos sometime ago, mentioned the Vulcan API was planned to be implemented in DCS World?

I could be wrong...

"We are also developing our engine to take advantage of the Vulcan API to further improve game performance."

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

• 2 weeks later...

3. OculusVR API and SteamVR API do not use mGPU modes.

Hello everyone,

Correct me if I am wrong but, from what I understand the OculusAPI is not in charge of the actual rendering of the scene, this is done by a call to the rendering api (dx11, vulkan...)

OculusAPI calls are "only" "preparing" the texture object and distort it to cope with oculus lens shape (and surely a lot of other things, like deal with sensors, ASW, etc...)

Thus, with low-level api, like vulkan, it is up to the game developer (or game-engine developer) to implement features like mGPU rendering, leveraging the full access to hardware provided by this kind of rendering api.

I doubt oculus will ever implement such things at their API level.

I hope ED will dig into this when implementing Vulkan, because I believe, mGPU rendering to VR is key to provide the necessary rendering power for higher resolution.

SteamVR Home uses mGPU in DX12 mode, but not DX11, not sure about Vulkan.

I wonder how far out Vulkan is? I would imagine it's still quite a ways off. I sure do hope it's out sooner than later. With 4K VR coming end of this year or early next with Pimax 8K-X I'm excited to get the most performance possible.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Carrier Strike Group One(CSG-1) Discord

Given how long it took to go from DX9 to DX11, I'm guessing it's going to be a good long wait. Performance now is decent but Vulkan (mainly due to multi-threading the graphics engine better) should really open up performance in CPU limited situations.

System specs: i5-10600k (4.9 GHz), RX 6950XT, 32GB DDR4 3200, NVMe SSD, Reverb G2, WinWing Super Libra/Taurus, CH Pro Pedals.