VAICOM PRO plugin for VoiceAttack

Hollywood_315

I'm using "Easy Communication" way in VAICOM and found (most probably after DCS updates and supercarrier appearance) the following problems: 1) On my call "Inbound" reply is "Cancel your approach, go to the dispersal field". Using traditional DCS keyboard communication way, My voice is different and reply is positive (also with different voice). Can assume that initially I had communication with different station using the same frequency and not with the carrier's Marshall. Question: How can I make selective call? 2) "See you at ten" is not working 3) "Ball" is not working. Any ideas? Sorry for my English.

Hello @HILOK

This was my own gripe with TARGET but since I've found a hack in this forums to Use up to 132 DX inputs plus the directional Hat with it, I'm back at using it and it's great. This is actually one of the functions I have in my TARGET profile, I use the same DX inputs for VAICOM TXs and I swap that input around my HOTAS depending on the AC I'm flying.

thanks for the hint! didn't know that. guess i will have to have a look at this some time... :thumbup:

Hello Hollywood,

It appears that when in the Editor, the user is not always able to keep the intended "segment" locked to his newly created phrase:

For the segment "Request Taxi to Runway"

When specifically the phrase "Request Taxi to Runway" is copied by ADD NEW (Request Taxi to Runway1),

Followed by editing this newly added phrase to "Request Taxi" according to recommended procedure,

The segment is automatically being changed to "Request Taxi for Takeoff".

I reckon that the output in 3D will be the same, however according to the manual page 54, these phrases (Request Taxi to Runway and Request Taxi for Takeoff) appear to be categorized seperately as well. I'd expect them to be combined as aliasses.

Would you consider coding user ability to lock a specific segment?

that's exactly what i was wishing to have for a long time, but didn't dare doing out of fear to mess up the whole profile.

having a "request taxi" command for both [taxi to runway] and [taxi for takeoff] would feel much more natural to me. also thought that, in order to prevent mismatches, "request taxi to parking" could be replaced by "runway vacated".

pls let me know, if you manage to do that.

anyway, i wonder if the process would have to be repeated, every time a new vaicom update comes out?

thanks.

Hi Hilok,

Answer is Yes, sort of.

I created the phrase "Request Taxi" and this is binded to one segment "Request Taxi for Takeoff". I was unable to bind it to segment "Request Taxi to Runway" which is a unique issue, hence my "bug/issue" report to Hollywood above.

It is not possible to bind one phrase to more than one segment, in other words, I can not make "Request Taxi" bind to both "Request....Takeoff" ánd "Request....Runway". This is only possible once Hollywood changes those two segments into two aliasses by default.

If there is a new VAICOM version, and DCS commands have changed too, you may want to keep a record of your own additions to the words list (use export).

And adding an aliases for "Request Taxi to the Ramp" is very easy. In fact, I created an alias "Request Taxi Back" but might also create another "Vacated".

Edited by Scuby

| AMD RYZEN 5900X | INNO3D RTX 4080 ICHILL | G.SKILL 3200-C14 32GB | ASUS X570-E GAMING | LG 27GP850 2K/QHD |
| TM HOTAS COUGAR | VPC WARBRD BASE | MFG CROSSWIND V2 | G.TRIX JETSEAT KW908 | HP REVERB G2 |

YouTube: ScubyFlying

that's exactly what i was wishing to have for a long time, but didn't dare doing out of fear to mess up the whole profile.

having a "request taxi" command for both [taxi to runway] and [taxi for takeoff] would feel much more natural to me. also thought that, in order to prevent mismatches, "request taxi to parking" could be replaced by "runway vacated".

pls let me know, if you manage to do that.

anyway, i wonder if the process would have to be repeated, every time a new vaicom update comes out?

thanks.

You can add an alias for everything, so feel free to add "runway vacated" as an alias to request taxi to parking.

But of course you can't have the same alias for two different phrases, that won't make sense in real life either. Right?

I'm not a real life pilot so I don't know the brevity anyway, but the phrases in BMS sort of matches DCS. So, in real life, do you have the same sentence for different actions? I don't know the difference between "taxi to runway" and "taxi for take off" is at all different, and are you assuming ground would know what you mean with a simple "request taxi"? I am curious and want to learn, that's why I ask!

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Hi Hilok,

Answer is Yes, sort of.

I created the phrase "Request Taxi" and this is binded to one segment "Request Taxi for Takeoff". I was unable to bind it to segment "Request Taxi to Runway" which is a unique issue, hence my "bug/issue" report to Hollywood above.

It is not possible to bind one phrase to more than one segment, in other words, I can not make "Request Taxi" bind to both "Request....Takeoff" ánd "Request....Runway". This is only possible once Hollywood changes those two segments into two aliasses by default.

If there is a new VAICOM version, and DCS commands have changed too, you may want to keep a record of your own additions to the words list (use export).

And adding an aliases for "Request Taxi to the Ramp" is very easy. In fact, I created an alias "Request Taxi Back" but might also create another "Vacated".

I must misunderstand what you mean.

It's not a bug that identical phrases/commands can be used as aliases for different phrases/commands. So please enlighten me. Maybe I'll learn something useful today!

Cheers

Hi Hilok,

Answer is Yes, sort of.

hey scuby, thanks for the quick reply! good to know it worked out, and can be saved for future updates. i think "...for takeoff" is actually sufficient in the current ATC state ("...to runway" is kinda superfluous). i will see, if i can make this work... :thumbup:

thanks

hilok

I'm not a real life pilot so I don't know the brevity anyway, but the phrases in BMS sort of matches DCS. So, in real life, do you have the same sentence for different actions? I don't know the difference between "taxi to runway" and "taxi for take off" is at all different, and are you assuming ground would know what you mean with a simple "request taxi"? I am curious and want to learn, that's why I ask!

thanks for the reply.

as far as civil aviation goes, you would just say "request taxi", because you already asked for start-up, they have your flight plan etc, and it is absolutely clear to all that you intend to line up for take-off. unless you need to do sth else for technical reasons and what not, in which case you would tell them, and get instructions accordingly.

so in that respect, i don't know why we have 2 different requests in the game...

regarding military aviation, i heard that communications would sometimes be kept to minimum, because everything is organized by timing. so maybe not even "request taxi". that probably only applies to exclusively military fields.

I must misunderstand what you mean.

It's not a bug that identical phrases/commands can be used as aliases for different phrases/commands. So please enlighten me. Maybe I'll learn something useful today!

Cheers

oh, and sorry, i think i was not very clear in my previous post. didn't mean to say i need one command for two requests, just they seemed redundant for me anyway (see post above)...

oh, and sorry, i think i was not very clear in my previous post. didn't mean to say i need one command for two requests, just they seemed redundant for me anyway (see post above)...

It was clear to me :)

@MAXsenna, indeed it appears that you misunderstand, however you are also right in a way.

It is like this:

If a user creates the phrase "DO IT", you can not bind that phrase to all possible commands. You can only bind it to one command, i.e. results in one particular type of action in 3D.

Now however, because the phrases "Request Taxi to Runway" and "Request Taxi for Takeoff" appear to be aliasses but in fact aren't by default in VAICOM, i.e. are two seperate commands, (but one of them does not exist in DCS?), it gets confusing. The result is that you are not able to create and bind "Request Taxi" to both, only to one...while they intend the same command/action in 3D. And to make it even more confusing, due to limitations in VAICOM, the user is only able to bind the phrase "Request Taxi" to "Request Taxi for Takeoff"... which is a bug.

Also above, the case is being made to combine "Request Taxi to Runway" and "Request Taxi for Takeoff" into aliasses by default in VAICOM. As HILKOK states, either one of them is superfluous/redundant, or are trying to catch more peoples way of saying the same thing.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Scuby

| AMD RYZEN 5900X | INNO3D RTX 4080 ICHILL | G.SKILL 3200-C14 32GB | ASUS X570-E GAMING | LG 27GP850 2K/QHD |
| TM HOTAS COUGAR | VPC WARBRD BASE | MFG CROSSWIND V2 | G.TRIX JETSEAT KW908 | HP REVERB G2 |

YouTube: ScubyFlying

thanks for the reply.

as far as civil aviation goes, you would just say "request taxi", because you already asked for start-up, they have your flight plan etc, and it is absolutely clear to all that you intend to line up for take-off. unless you need to do sth else for technical reasons and what not, in which case you would tell them, and get instructions accordingly.

so in that respect, i don't know why we have 2 different requests in the game...

regarding military aviation, i heard that communications would sometimes be kept to minimum, because everything is organized by timing. so maybe not even "request taxi". that probably only applies to exclusively military fields.

Cool! Thanks!

You've tried BMS? I don't know how real it is, but seems more natural and makes way more sense than DCS.

Aha! Now I get it. Had to look into the keywords editor. I don't know why we have two different taxi requests. I agree, makes noe sense. Unless it's part of the new ATC comms that's coming, as I'm not sure I've noticed that particular phrase before.

It was clear to me :)

@MAXsenna, indeed it appears that you misunderstand, however you are also right in a way.

It is like this:

If a user creates the phrase "DO IT", you can not bind that phrase to all possible commands. You can only bind it to one command, i.e. results in one particular type of action in 3D.

Now however, because the phrases "Request Taxi to Runway" and "Request Taxi for Takeoff" appear to be aliasses but in fact aren't by default in VAICOM, i.e. are two seperate commands, (but one of them does not exist in DCS?), it gets confusing. The result is that you are not able to create and bind "Request Taxi" to both, only to one...while they intend the same command/action in 3D. And to make it even more confusing, due to limitations in VAICOM, the user is only able to bind the phrase "Request Taxi" to "Request Taxi for Takeoff"... which is a bug.

Also above, the case is being made to combine "Request Taxi to Runway" and "Request Taxi for Takeoff" into aliasses by default in VAICOM. As HILKOK states, either one of them is superfluous/redundant, or are trying to catch more peoples way of saying the same thing.

Hope this helps.

Yes! Absolutely! Thanks for your patience!

@maxsenna

yes i have ; ) but that's another story and kinda off-topic here...:D

regarding the process of editing/adding own voice commands:

could someone pls point me to a step by step guide or pm me? i had a look at the doc (again), but i find that it's not very clear down to the bottom how to do it. don't wanna screw things up, since everything works so nicely right now.

thanks.

Hello Hollywood/All,

'Disable Menus' works the opposite to how it should be. I can no longer use keybinds to bring it up (must say 'Options'), but it still pops up automatically from time to time, breaking the immersion. Can this be fixed? Thanks!

Screen_200607_205529.thumb.png.f97d94de19b23a954420f9a88395ca0d.png

12900KF@5.4, 32GB DDR4@4000cl14g1, 4090, M.2, W10 Pro, Warthog HOTAS, ButtKicker, Reverb G2/OpenXR

Hello Hollywood/All,

'Disable Menus' works the opposite to how it should be. I can no longer use keybinds to bring it up (must say 'Options'), but it still pops up automatically from time to time, breaking the immersion. Can this be fixed? Thanks!

Is it appearing regularly and then disappearing on its own? If so, then look at the FAQs and try the solutions there since this is a known configuration issue.

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

Hello Hollywood/All,

I get similar behaviour even after repeatedly following the usual fix steps for this. it is not really random, but appears to be triggered by non-ATC comms events or some Supercarrier ATC Comms - either directly after my own comm event or even just after a BRA Call from the AWACS or a wingman spotting a contact. Especially in this mission

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3300558/

which has a lot of scripting, i get the menus popping up a lot. Something odd is going on with the scripts in the mission and VAICOM, I suspect. Suppression Auto Responses for own ATC Messages for the Supercarrier is also hit and miss in this mission.

overalien

Hog Driver starting to really like the Tomcat

System specs:

Intel i7-8700k - OC to 5.0 GHz

| 32 GB RAM 3600 MHz | Nvidia 1080ti SLi | Mixed Storage - Win 10 and DCS on Samsung SSD 970 Pro

Flightgear:

7 Displays (3 x 1440p, 1 X 1080p, 3 X Lilliput Touch) | 3 x Cougar MFDs

| Warthog HOTAS | Thrustmaster TPR Pedals | iBEAM Shaker + Simshaker for Aviators w. Sound Module | Helios | VAICOM Pro + AIRIO | TrackIR 5

@maxsenna

yes i have ; ) but that's another story and kinda off-topic here...:D

regarding the process of editing/adding own voice commands:

could someone pls point me to a step by step guide or pm me? i had a look at the doc (again), but i find that it's not very clear down to the bottom how to do it. don't wanna screw things up, since everything works so nicely right now.

thanks.

For adding Voice Commands for controls. Have you done this in Voice Attack already?

Anyway! Do yourself a favor and make a new Voice Attack profile, as this will be purely VA commands. Then you can add this profile to your VAICOM profile. This way you will always keep your VAICOM profile "clean".

To do this edit the VAICOM profile, click options, then besides "include commands from other profiles" click "..." and then the "+" and select as many VA profiles as you want. The commands you speak will then first check you're VAICOM profile, then this list, then any global profile defined in VA settings.

To get the most out of both VA and VAICOM, the manuals are good reads. VA also have a very helpful crowd. Only ask VA questions though, no VAICOM or other plugins related questions! And if you go about hard-core VA programming, they will ask you to read the manual first!

Hope this helps!

Cheers

For adding Voice Commands for controls. Have you done this in Voice Attack already?

Anyway! Do yourself a favor and make a new Voice Attack profile, as this will be purely VA commands. Then you can add this profile to your VAICOM profile. This way you will always keep your VAICOM profile "clean".

To do this edit the VAICOM profile, click options, then besides "include commands from other profiles" click "..." and then the "+" and select as many VA profiles as you want. The commands you speak will then first check you're VAICOM profile, then this list, then any global profile defined in VA settings.

To get the most out of both VA and VAICOM, the manuals are good reads. VA also have a very helpful crowd. Only ask VA questions though, no VAICOM or other plugins related questions! And if you go about hard-core VA programming, they will ask you to read the manual first!

Hope this helps!

Cheers

thanks a lot for the in-depth explanation! that's interesting. so you're not using vaicom's built-in "add alias" function at all?

thanks a lot for the in-depth explanation! that's interesting. so you're not using vaicom's built-in "add alias" function at all?
Sorry! My bad. I thought you meant like "gear up" etc. VAICOM doesn't do that, as of yet. Don't know if Hollywood's ever gonna add that. Seriously lots of work.

'Course I use aliases in the Key Words editor, but only to change words and phrases that MS Speech Recognition just don't want to "understand". Or phrases that's easier for me to understand.

"Chief, connect external power", or "Chief connect compressor". Ground and air supply just won't be recognized, even if added to the dictionary.

Is it appearing regularly and then disappearing on its own? If so, then look at the FAQs and try the solutions there since this is a known configuration issue.

I already had custom path in settings, and now added one in registry, it did nothing. I see VAICOM finds my OB allright. I am better off having menus enabled, that way it does not pop up after calling 'inbound' to SuperCarrier.

Curiously, I have Import F10 menus disabled, but they still are parsed at every launch.

Untitled.thumb.png.758dd588c9e58be3a1db1c6cd776083a.png

12900KF@5.4, 32GB DDR4@4000cl14g1, 4090, M.2, W10 Pro, Warthog HOTAS, ButtKicker, Reverb G2/OpenXR

I already had custom path in settings, and now added one in registry, it did nothing. I see VAICOM finds my OB allright. I am better off having menus enabled, that way it does not pop up after calling 'inbound' to SuperCarrier.

Curiously, I have Import F10 menus disabled, but they still are parsed at every launch.

That probably means you had the setting checked at some point in the past and these are the menu entries it captured then. It is not rescanning the F10 menu now (it can't if DCS isn't loaded).

When I had this i went throught the keyword list in the editor, removed the 'action list' items and then followed the Finish steps again. There is probably a better way to do it (resetting the database maybe).

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

Sorry! My bad. I thought you meant like "gear up" etc. VAICOM doesn't do that, as of yet. Don't know if Hollywood's ever gonna add that. Seriously lots of work.

'Course I use aliases in the Key Words editor, but only to change words and phrases that MS Speech Recognition just don't want to "understand". Or phrases that's easier for me to understand.

hey maxsenna, no problem, thanks for caring anyway! : )

if you don't mind, could you please post in short what you do after clicking on the "add new" (alias) button in the vaicom editor window?

thanks.

hey maxsenna, no problem, thanks for caring anyway! : )

if you don't mind, could you please post in short what you do after clicking on the "add new" (alias) button in the vaicom editor window?

thanks.

Sure, NP!

Well, because the Keywords Editor is somewhat funny, like when you add an alias, you get Alias1. So, if you then "mark and select" the whole Alias1, you're in trouble, because you will eventually **ck up another word. Hollywood, please fix this.

So to not have this happening, I use a text editor to type in my new phrase or keyword.

So here's my steps.

I type word or phrase in Notepad, double click to select it and Ctrl-c, to copy it. Add alias and click apply. Then I double click to select "Alias1" and Ctrl-v to not mess up words that are already there. Click apply again, (probably redundant though), click "Finnish", and then follow the instructions, with editing the VAICOM profile, select all the keywords and paste the new ones.

Because of the issue that you start and change words and phrases in the Keywords Editor, by mistake, I know I don't have a consistent database, but I haven't had time to fix it. I know I can do it by export and then reset, and then compare. But it's boring and takes time. Hehe

For the time beeing, things are working very well, except select channel (presets) and select 1 2 7 decimal 5. Cannot get it to work. Not sure if it is module related.

Cheers

hey thanks a lot for sharing these instructions! i will see, if i can make that work tomorrow, and report back. have you tried leaving the "alias1" as is, and edit the profile in an advanced editor like notes++, then replace all instances of "alias1" with the new phrase? -if that makes sense...this way you could actually verify, what you are doing?