Russian Carrier Ops

ruddy122

Which wire do you strive for in the Su-33?

What does the white circle do?

I figured a rough aimpoint with the ils mode on. 310+ KMH is the middle of the upside down bank indicator. 290-310 KMH is the middle point between the arc of the bank indicator and the ILS Line and 290 KMH and below is the line and below

I’m an equal opportunity wire catcher. I catch any wire that can stop me.

Wishing for a flight path marker in the MiG29K or the J-15.

Cheers,

Lucky

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

LUCKY:pilotfly::joystick:

Computer Specs

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 6-Core 3.4 GHz| GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 6Gb | RAM: 32 GB DDR4 @ 3000 MHz | OS: Win 10 64 bit | HD: 500 Gb SSD

White circles are landing spots for the helicopters, IIRC.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Still optimizng my carrier landings:

- 85% catching a wire (mostly nr.1 or 2)

- 15% missed and have to make another approach

but................recently (bad approach / not enough concentrated) I had 2 crashed at the rear of the carrier: don't like to tell you this but it is the truth :(

One time, I had wire nr.3 but I came over the edge (front) of the carrier and bungled looking at the sea (however, I thought that the weight was pretty ok and the landing speed not all too high) :huh:

Best regards, Willem

You should approach along the center line, and aim for the second cable, ideally, that way if you're slightly short you hit #1, and you have #3 and #4 if you screw up and touch too late.

You don't want to do landings at a heavy weight. The Flankers are ultra long range patrol fighters with massive internal fuel reserves. A Flanker carries almost as much fuel as an entire MiG-29 weighs. That's too much weight :)

Make sure you suck off most of the fuel before you start, you only need a few thousand pounds. This will give you better handling characteristics, a lower approach speed, and less risk of damage on landing.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Training is needed for these landings and...........accuracy: landed with a wire 1 or 2 approach; afterburner on and waiting for the full stop, of which I was very sure: nope: whaaat (also pretty low on fuel): forgotten the hook :(

Another approach and it was wire nr. 1 (with 2% fuel) :)

Best regards, Willem

Which wire do you strive for in the Su-33?

What does the white circle do?

The one on the HUD? Fly in the direction of the bigger one to pull the smaller one into it. Then fly to center both on the HUD aircraft datum. That will keep you centered on the localizer and glideslope.

I figured a rough aimpoint with the ils mode on. 310+ KMH is the middle of the upside down bank indicator. 290-310 KMH is the middle point between the arc of the bank indicator and the ILS Line and 290 KMH and below is the line and below

The correct airspeed is weight dependent. For that reason, you land with an AoA of 10° which puts you at the correct landing airspeed for your weight and takes the guesswork out of it. When the AoA indexer to the left of the HUD is green, you're at the right airspeed. EDIT: Being at the proper airspeed also puts you at the correct landing attitude.

Edited by Ironhand

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

My apologies for not being clear

Aimpoint control is still important

I finally figured out what the big white circle across the 2nd wire from the stern

It’s a giant aimpoint in the last seconds before you trap

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Computer Specs

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 6-Core 3.4 GHz| GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 6Gb | RAM: 32 GB DDR4 @ 3000 MHz | OS: Win 10 64 bit | HD: 500 Gb SSD

I usually fly around 270-280 on approach

Practice makes perfect

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Computer Specs

I finally figured out what the big white circle across the 2nd wire from the stern

It’s a giant aimpoint in the last seconds before you trap

Ahhhh...Should have realized that was what you were referring to.

EDIT:

I usually fly around 270-280 on approach...

The thing about flying the AoA (or indexer) rather than the airspeed, is that the sight picture will remain the same regardless of your landing weight.

And, yes, perfect practice makes perfect. :)

Edited by Ironhand

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.