Vertical landing

sdflyer

I’m wondering how did you guys figure out appropriate weight which allow you to make vertical landing during flight (given conventional take off with heavy load)?

I checked the pocket guide but but couldn’t find any explanation other than maximum VL weight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I usually don't bother landing unless I have about 2400lb of fuel at most and nothing hanging off the wings.

IRL the RN Sea Harrier pilots aimed to only have a few minutes of fuel left when they got back on the deck, the Harrier we have has a more powerful engine than the Shar though, luckily for us we can experiment and see what works without any permanent revocation of breathing or flying privileges.

I usually don't bother landing unless I have about 2400lb of fuel at most and nothing hanging off the wings.

IRL the RN Sea Harrier pilots aimed to only have a few minutes of fuel left when they got back on the deck, the Harrier we have has a more powerful engine than the Shar though, luckily for us we can experiment and see what works without any permanent revocation of breathing or flying privileges.

I am not sure if that is specific to the harrier, or all military aircraft take this procedure.

There is an RAF training instructor flying the Hawk on youtube called Tim Davies or similar. He stated something like they try and land back at base with as little fuel as possible. Said something like the tax payers pay for the fuel so they might as well use all of it or something like that.

The amount of fuel left over could be left to the pilots discretion, or perhaps its how they are taught to do it in the uk.

Jump to 7m36s

I’m wondering how did you guys figure out appropriate weight which allow you to make vertical landing during flight (given conventional take off with heavy load)?

I checked the pocket guide but but couldn’t find any explanation other than maximum VL weight

You have to add up your empty, fuel and loads weights and compare the result to the charts which are in the plane's NATOPS manual: http://aviationarchives.blogspot.fr/2016/05/av-8btav-8b-performance-charts.html?m=1

The charts you need are at pp 249 & 250.

According to the charts, you'll dump fuel and/or drop external loads so your plane's weight matches the requirements.

If you’re still too heavy and don’t want to drop or dump, do a slow landing if you have the pavement available. You don’t need much runway to do this. I prefer the fixed nozzle method.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

Max landing weight depends on atmospheric conditions (air density/temperature). The AV-8B has a MDF page, "VREST", that provides this information in real time. It's not modelled yet, but will be very useful when it's put in.

Ok make sense. Will wait for VREST page