Takeoff not working

m1tp2king

- trim full up;

- flaps "on";

- Lshift W: wheel brake start "in";

- full (100%) power until the 2 green afterburner lights are on;

- Lshift W "off" together with:

- Lshift E special afterburner "in"

(for these Lshifts I have dedicated buttons on my Hotas)

and there she goes up in the air and after that reduce power etc.

Edited by wavn

Best regards, Willem

Yeah, you will most likely need to reduce your aircraft fuel to around 50-60%, depending on your weapons loudout, in order to get your aircraft down to takeoff weight. You will still need to use the special afterburner boost, as previously mentioned, and it still takes a bit of skill to get the right AOA to balance between staying above the waves and gaining airspeed. Also, you may want to try adding more wind in the mission editor and make sure that the carrier is sailing directly into the wind.

Apparently this has been an issue for Russian naval aviation in real life as well, especially when they've had to takeoff with ground ordnance over Syria. Between the carrier takeoff weight limits, and the unfortunate tendency for the Kuznetzov's arrestor cables to break during landing (thankfully not simulated in DCS), I believe that the Russian Navy has already moved all of their Su-33s from the Kuznetzov to airfields in Syria.

I found that keeping gross weight under 26,000 Kg is your best bet when taking off from the #1 or #2 slots. Other than that, as stated earlier, Flaps down, special afterburner mode, "Wheel Brake Start" (IIRC that's how it's listed in the controls) and hold it till your burner lamps are lit. Also, see if your FOD grates are deployed on your mechanical indicator, and if they are, retract them. You can always go into the mission editor, set a carrier, and have her steam ahead at 40-50 kts, that should give you a decent headwind. Immediately after you're off the deck, bring your gear up to minimize drag. And if all else fails, and you're flying a single ship, you can always taxi back to the #3 slot :D.

FENRIR

No KC-10 in DCS? Thank goodness for small miracles!

Intel i5 4690K OC to 4.0, Corsair CX850M PSU, 16GB Patriot Viper @ 1866MHz, EVGA GTX 1060 SC, Samsung EVO 250GB SSD, Saitek X-55, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Delanclip

I try to takeoff from the carrier but I don't get enough power and I crash into the sea.

The manual tells me to press lshift e , but it doesn't work.

Thanks.

Firstly make sure you throttle axis is working to full ranges, if it doesn't go to 100% you will not get afterburner and the special mode will not engage.

If your throttle goes from 0% to 100% correctly, then you may need to reload a default config setup for the su-33 key commands as per this thread.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=194014

and for take off protocol, check this:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3256607&postcount=12

Regards, Ian.

Edited by MadDog-IC

Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Nvidia RTX-2070 Super, Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

DCS Tech Support.

• 2 weeks later...

If you take the "long" take off starting point, you can load pretty much: I had:

- 98% fuel,

- 4 bombs,

- 3 rockets,

- 5 AA missiles

and she managed without problems!

But don't ask for " clearance" if you want to take off in this position: the carrier "take off barriers" of both the short take off positions are risen and you cannot pass :(

Edited by wavn

Best regards, Willem

• 1 month later...

100% fuel - no ordnance

100% power

Full flaps

Nose up trim

Brakes off

Full military power

Hitting 110 off lip and probably 150 Max speed total

Zero height gain after leaving Kuznetsov

Drop into sea 200 yards from carrier

Rinse and repeat

I've been using the 33 since LOMAC and through PFM and never had this problem before. Is it 2.5?

:dunno:

All these points are important but the most important thing is that the carrier should be moving towards the wind. That way you will get A LOT of lift.

Thanks.

I put the carrier at 30 knots and finally managed to stay up with a clean aircraft, but much different to the last time I tried it a few months ago.

I guess that's how it is in the real world, and we all want reality, right!. :)

You must spool engine to 100% without afterburners. engage afterburners, special modes, release all brakes. At the lip, retract landing gear and pull back to get no greater than minus 2 sink rate on hud. You will probably sink to 8 meters from waters but if done correctly your loss will turn to gain of lift. Not too hard on stick though or youd stall.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Hey all! , first post in the forum.

Just another little tip that can make the difference between a successful takeoff or having a swim in the black sea when going on or above max take off weight.

Just use your cobra button! Not listed in manuals, probably against the operational doctrine and whatnot, but it works, specially in multiplayer where 99% of the carriers I see are wrongly configured, ie stationary or a very low pace, with crosswind etc.

The cobra button will allow you to maintain a much higher angle of attack, that the fight control system doesn't, making you able to gain enough speed before falling. It just needs some practices with how much sick you need to pull.

Edited by Bizarro

The way I do this works 100%:

Some controls must be bound, namely "Wheel brake start" and "Afterburner Special Mode"

1. I make sure I'm no more than 60,000 LBS (I use LBS because that's what's in the Rearm/Refuel Window)

2. Wheel Brake Start and hold

3. Throttle to MAX

4. When just prior to afterburner light; Afterburner Special Mode

5. Wait until aircraft starts to push past brakes

6. Wheel Brake Start Release

7. Light pull back on stick

8. Gear UP ASAP

9. Establish positive rate of climb, use 'feel' to avoid over-increasing AOA

10. Throttle to FULL MILL ~300 KPH

11. Flaps up ~320 KPH

Took me a minute to find the controls I needed when I first started, but I've yet to crash into the water since.

• 3 months later...
100% fuel - no ordnance

100% power

Full flaps

Nose up trim

Brakes off

Full military power

Hitting 110 off lip and probably 150 Max speed total

Zero height gain after leaving Kuznetsov

Drop into sea 200 yards from carrier

Rinse and repeat

I've been using the 33 since LOMAC and through PFM and never had this problem before. Is it 2.5?

:dunno:

Su-33 carrier takeoff definitely works in 2.5, even at max weight.

Here's what you need to do:

1- Set the pitch trimmer to neutral (it's set to negative by default).

(Press RightCtrl+Enter to bring up the axis indicator on the lower right corner of the screen)

2- Make sure that flaps are fully extended

3- Open the engine inlet grids (press LeftAlt+I). You can check their status on the gear/flap indicator (the two green lights on top of the "wings" correspond to the engine inlets, I believe).

They're on by default, so you'll need to switch them off.

Once the engine inlets are open, you should get an extra 10% thrust.

4- Hold down the brakes

5- Maximum thrust (afterburners)

6- Once the two afterburner indicators light up in green, you can activate emergency thrust mode (LeftShift + E), if you do it correctly another indicator will light up in green (on a panel below). That'll run the engines at 103%

7- Release the brakes and start rolling.

8- You should be able to reach the end of the ramp at around 180Km/h.

(That'll be enough for the plane to stay in the air, provided you pitch up correctly)

9- Once you jump off the ramp, lift the Su-33's nose sharply, so it stays in the air.

At that point you won't be flying a plane, but a kind of rocket, so keep those afterburners pointing down at the sea and you'll be fine.

10- Once you've reached flying speed, disable emergency thrust mode by simply pulling back the throttle until afterburners are switched off.

I have no problem taking off when following these steps.

Su-33 carrier takeoff definitely works in 2.5, even at max weight.

Here's what you need to do:

1- Set the pitch trimmer to neutral (it's set to negative by default).

(Press RightCtrl+Enter to bring up the axis indicator on the lower right corner of the screen)

2- Make sure that flaps are fully extended

3- Open the engine inlet grids (press LeftAlt+I). You can check their status on the gear/flap indicator (the two green lights on top of the "wings" correspond to the engine inlets, I believe).

They're on by default, so you'll need to switch them off.

Once the engine inlets are open, you should get an extra 10% thrust.

4- Hold down the brakes

5- Maximum thrust (afterburners)

6- Once the two afterburner indicators light up in green, you can activate emergency thrust mode (LeftShift + E), if you do it correctly another indicator will light up in green (on a panel below). That'll run the engines at 103%

7- Release the brakes and start rolling.

8- You should be able to reach the end of the ramp at around 180Km/h.

(That'll be enough for the plane to stay in the air, provided you pitch up correctly)

9- Once you jump off the ramp, lift the Su-33's nose sharply, so it stays in the air.

At that point you won't be flying a plane, but a kind of rocket, so keep those afterburners pointing down at the sea and you'll be fine.

10- Once you've reached flying speed, disable emergency thrust mode by simply pulling back the throttle until afterburners are switched off.

I have no problem taking off when following these steps.

Hmmm, I'm only reaching about 130-140 kph at the lift. Right after I release the break I seem to not be gaining enough speed. I'll stay at 80 until halfway up and then I'll gain up to about 130/140 and that is as fast as I have been able to get it. I'm at 100% take-off weight. . . . .

Edited by shaungudgud

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Are there any plans for implementing the take-off system of the russian carrier with retractable chocks in the deck for holding the plane until the engines are full power?

Right now, the take off from the carrier is a nightmare. If you maintain pressed the button of the "special brakes" can't push the button for "special afterburner", and the "special brakes" doesn't hold the plane enough for getting full power from the engines.

Are there any plans for implementing the take-off system of the russian carrier with retractable chocks in the deck for holding the plane until the engines are full power?

Right now, the take off from the carrier is a nightmare. If you maintain pressed the button of the "special brakes" can't push the button for "special afterburner", and the "special brakes" doesn't hold the plane enough for getting full power from the engines.

If you look at the Su-33 trailer you will see there is an upgraded Kuznetsov with working chocks. This has been planned and worked on for some time, but no date on when it will actually be released.

Why can't you press them? Just change the key mappings so you can do what you want. In any case it's good enough to just do them one after the other quickly, release brakes, hit special AB.

VC

=X51= Squadron is recruiting!

X51 website: https://x51squadron.com/

Join our Discord: https://discord.gg/d9JtFY4

If you look at the Su-33 trailer you will see there is an upgraded Kuznetsov with working chocks. This has been planned and worked on for some time, but no date on when it will actually be released.

Why can't you press them? Just change the key mappings so you can do what you want. In any case it's good enough to just do them one after the other quickly, release brakes, hit special AB.

We can't press two buttons at the same time. I would like to maintain the brakes until the very last moment after full throttle, when they can't hold the plane any more, but I have to release it to push the emergency afterburner button just in the moment the two lights of the afterburner light. Even mapping the two buttons close one to another (I have them mapped in the "arrow" up and down keys) is a pain in the ass and fail some of the take-offs because of that. :joystick:

Anyway, thanks for the answer. It doesn't a specially difficult feature. I hope they include it soon. :thumbup:

We can't press two buttons at the same time. I would like to maintain the brakes until the very last moment after full throttle, when they can't hold the plane any more, but I have to release it to push the emergency afterburner button just in the moment the two lights of the afterburner light. Even mapping the two buttons close one to another (I have them mapped in the "arrow" up and down keys) is a pain in the ass and fail some of the take-offs because of that. :joystick:

Anyway, thanks for the answer. It doesn't a specially difficult feature. I hope they include it soon. :thumbup:

What position are u using to take off? and what fuel and weapons loadout?

I have no problem to take off from position 1 and 2 with special AB, full ordnance and 59% fuel

What position are u using to take off? and what fuel and weapons loadout?

I have no problem to take off from position 1 and 2 with special AB, full ordnance and 59% fuel

I have problems from position 1 or 2 even without ordnance and default fuel (about 60%?) Even if I take off and not crash, the plane falls a bit after leaving the sky jump and almost touch the water. I have seen real-life videos and Su-33 doesn't have that kind of difficulties. Special AB and no grilles in the air intakes.

Edited by Quinto

It takes a split second to switch from holding brakes to turning on special AB. That has never affected my ability to take off.

Yes, sometimes the plane dips a lot and I can't comment about how realistic that is. But then again, I haven't seen a video of a fully armed Su-33 taking off and even if it was we don't know what fuel they have on board. With an empty plane you soar off the front of the ramp even without using special AB, looks pretty much like the real life vids.

The only thing that causes take-off difficulty in DCS is poor mission/carrier setup. If the carrier is moving at decent speed into the wind, position 1 and 2 take-offs are perfectly doable with the right procedure, full missile load 80% fuel.

VC

=X51= Squadron is recruiting!

X51 website: https://x51squadron.com/

Join our Discord: https://discord.gg/d9JtFY4