Issues in MP framerates in VR - identified

Flighter

Hi all. I have issues with jerky movement while in multiplayer online gaming. Below is the results of a series of tests done with Oculus performance monitoring utility.

TL/DR conclusions

- version 1.5.7 has minor issues

- version 1.5.8 and 2.2 has major issues - mostly unplayable

- The fps drop appears to be due to the CPU delaying the rendering thread every almost 22 mSecs

- Same mission loaded offline has no issues in all versions (solid 90fps in VR)

I hope the developers do not use this code in the release build before they find the cause of this.

I would be happy to provide more details or perform any additional tests.

Measurements :

v1.5.7 :

Every 2.7 sec CPU delay 14-18 msec for one frame

fps drop from 90 to 85

v1.5.8 and 2.2:

Every about 0.23 sec CPU delay 25-30 msec for one frame

fps is ranging from 50 to 70 - Very jerky / irritating in VR

Details :

- The JUST DOGFIGHT SERVER was used for all tests to have maximum repeatability and eliminate unknowns.

- The test machine runs WIN10 pro on a i7-6700k at 4.5 GHz with a GTX1080 (G1) and 16GB of DDR4 at 3200Mhz

- All game graphic settings set to minimum.

Cheers !

Static scene used for performance analysis (v1.5.7 and v1.5.8 ) :

LtRzOpf.pnghttp:

https://i.imgur.com/LtRzOpf.png

v1.5.7 in online mode has minor issues with CPU delaying the rendering thread:

sVtUmt2.png

https://i.imgur.com/sVtUmt2.png

v1.5.8 in online mode has major issues with CPU delaying the rendering thread.

BCTwMfj.png

https://i.imgur.com/BCTwMfj.png

v2.2 in Online and Offline mode with the same mission. The offline performance is excellent. The online is almost unplayable:

xXKOoyj.png

https://i.imgur.com/xXKOoyj.png

• Like 3

JUSTDOGFIGHT server - For Nickname reservation, stats, server map, instructions and other content visit our site justdogfight.com

🙂 Smile 🙂

• ED Team

Please attach your test mission also.

Men may keep a sort of level of good, but no man has ever been able to keep on one level of evil. That road goes down and down.  
Можно держаться на одном уровне добра, но никому и никогда не удавалось удержаться на одном уровне зла. Эта дорога ведёт вниз и вниз.

G.K. Chesterton

DCS World 2.5: Часто задаваемые вопросы

• ED Team

Thanks.

Can you write short track(s)? 1.5.8 and 2.2.0

Men may keep a sort of level of good, but no man has ever been able to keep on one level of evil. That road goes down and down.  
Можно держаться на одном уровне добра, но никому и никогда не удавалось удержаться на одном уровне зла. Эта дорога ведёт вниз и вниз.

G.K. Chesterton

I can send you tracks but please note that the data collection was done from only viewing the ground vehicles. No plane was loaded to keep any issues related to flying, scenery loading, plane specific etc out of the loop.

I was just viewing what you see in the first capture above.

If you still want some tracks I can do it no problem. Just let me know if you want the track of this static viewing or you want a bit of flying and in which plane.

Cheers

JUSTDOGFIGHT server - For Nickname reservation, stats, server map, instructions and other content visit our site justdogfight.com

🙂 Smile 🙂

Hi ED !

Did you release this as the stable version ?

The DCS_updater prompts me to update to 1.5.8.12667 !!!

Is this a mistake ?

The result is nausea causing game-play at least in VR.

From 90 fps (1.5.7) to 65 (1.5.8 ) with terrible, terrible jitters and stutters (even on top notch systems).

Latest test of 1.5.8.12667 is this :

MKbNXqL.png

1.5.8.12667a.thumb.png.05a8b359557b5444b99beac6ca04b189.png

🙂 Smile 🙂

Using a join password fixes the statters.

Hi again.

I am not 100% sure, but password protecting the server, seems to cure the issue.

Rik, maybe you want to look into it.

I have not time for extensive tests and this may be coincidental (another word for nonsense). But the results with JUST DOGFIGHT are impressive... and spooky.

If any one wants to follow on this, please do and let me(us) know.

Cheers

Same mission, same server, same client, spectating not moving object on the ground:-

No join password :

0Hepl04.png

With join password:

jjH8o5y.png

Edited by Flighter

🙂 Smile 🙂

• ED Team
I am not 100% sure, but password protecting the server, seems to cure the issue.
Perfect, thanks! Looks like no password is the cause.

G.K. Chesterton

Hi Rik.

I hope your devs can hunt it down and produce a quick fix.

And once there, please please pass them on one more message :

Please remove this modal dialogue box that stops a crashed server from exiting. Make it an option if you want.

It prevents my little script that monitors the server process, from
automatically
restarting it

sjFZMZ7.png

Please pass it on.

Cheers

🙂 Smile 🙂

No More Stutters !!

Hi Rik 'n company,

I am very glad to report that on 1.5.8.12823 (open Beta ATM) the stutters are gone.

I also noticed on the change-log that the modal crash window is also gone (Do we need to disable it somehow ? )

Congratulations to the team.

Best regards.

🙂 Smile 🙂

• ED Team

Good to hear

to silence the crash report windows check this out

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=198463

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2