2.2 heavy RAM usage ! pls help

JABO2009

Hi folks,

after 2.2 was runnign fine the last few days, I suddenly have terrible RAM usage and no joy at all in MP..

when I spawn at some MP servers like 99th server, my PC RAM usage is going crazy and DCS nearly hangs up...and sometimes does.. I hear my PC "calculating" like crazy and DCS freezes to a complete halt..

after checking RAM usage,ingame; it indicates about 14,7 GB RAM !! out of my 16 GB RAM is more or less permanently beeing used, while the processor is only used by approx 9 to 15%.

how can I handle this ? never experienced it so badly before.. DCS unplayable atm :huh:

Pls help me out

Edited by JABO2009

CPU: Intel I5-2400 @ 3,1GHz

RAM: 28GB Corsair XMS DDR3

GPU: Gainward Geforce GTX 1060 6GB

Win 7 - 64 Pro

Mad Catz Saitek Cyborg V.1

/ Track IR5

Running DCS 2.5 on dedicated Sandisk 240GB SSD

Modules: FC3/CA/Gazelle/P51/F5/FA-18C/A4-Community Mod

Opps, havent't I often said that DCS does use more than 12-14GB at good times in MP and that this circumstance is a killer for 16GB systems ?

Heavy swapping and all sorts of symptoms will occure...which usually crash sensitive apps like DCS.

where are the "16 is enuff" guys now ?

tbh, I think with 2.5 you will see lots of people going 32 or 64 on mem

*more video memory might ease the pressure on your system RAM, if that is an option for you

*edited a few times, to clarify

Edited by BitMaster

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 3x 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

if you "hear your pc calculating", that is the hdd. The problems you desribed were on my system with 8 gb ram and 2 gb vram, too. After switching from hdd drive to ssd card all the problems are gone.

The original problem persists, you just found a workaround with a very fast offload storage.

More RAM and/or VRAM would work on the root cause.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 3x 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Your RAM is supposed to be used up, that's what it's there for. As the game accesses data, it is stored in RAM for fast retrieval. Over a period of time, or in a more demanding game, this RAM will fill up. THAT'S THE POINT. Unused data gets flushed periodically to free resources for new calls.

As the above poster mentioned, the "calculating" is your harddrive, and yes, using an SSD for DCS will dramatically improve load times and help prevent some resulting stutter.

If it WAS fine, and only now started acting up, then you should check if you have anti-virus or other crap running in the background and close it down if so.

Other things that can cause the stuttering, maybe your internet is having a bad day? Maybe the server you connected to was having a bad day? Did you try other servers, or did you just keep doing the same thing over and over instead of testing things yourself? Does it do it in singleplayer, too? Was the mission the server was running really complex?

There are a lot of things that can cause poor performance, and not all of them are directly related to the game.

Lastly, please go do some reading regarding basic familiarisation on how a PC works.

Spoiler

tumblr_inline_mpv4v0zasI1rg41uj.gif

The troll formerly known as Zhukov

2.2 seem to have some new issues in there that effect especially Multi Player. If you are fine on single player you might be best off waiting a while for the next patch.

What are your in game settings?

Preload radius does affect also RAM usage of the game. Try lowering it a bit.

a small preload radius means small RAM & VRAM requirement and lots of small terrain loading from disk.

a large preload radius means larger RAM & VRAM requirement and less frequent, but larger terrain loading from disk.

If you do not have a SSD, you might want to consider.

Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7 | i7-8700K | 32GB DDR4 3600 | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE | EKWB custom loop water cooling | Samsung M.2 EVO 960 500GB SSD + 2 x Crucial 250MX SSD + 4TB HD | Asus PG348Q 3440x1440 | TrackIR5 | Oculus Rift CV1 | MSFFB2 w extension + Saitek X52 Throttle + MFG Crosswind | Windows 10-64

Thanks for all the comments guys !!

As my system isnt Top end , but still made DCS a joy to fly over the last years , what would you recommend ?

Some of you say "go for an SSD", others say , "go for more RAM/VRAM" instead,

So,...I want to find a cheap and fast solution to "survive" the next 2 to 3 years with my old system... (--->Then its time for a complete new RIG anyway )

Whats the faster and/or cheaper fix in my situation to solve the RAM issue ??

cheers..

Win 7 - 64 Pro

/ Track IR5

I would absolutely say go for the SSD.

Ok thx,

:thumbup:

as Im a total noob with SSDs can you maybe recommend me one, which fits to my systems specs ?- ( in case the specs determine which SSD one can take)

you can also PM me with a link leading me there... Im truly happy about any adviceI can get here

cheers

Win 7 - 64 Pro

/ Track IR5

Ok thx,

:thumbup:

as Im a total noob with SSDs can you maybe recommend me one, which fits to my systems specs ?- ( in case the specs determine which SSD one can take)

you can also PM me with a link leading me there... Im truly happy about any adviceI can get here

cheers

What motherboard do you have? Does it support M.2 interface?

If it does, check what M.2 SSDs are listed as supported on the motherboard manufacturers supported devices list on their web site for you particular motherboard.

I have Samsung 960 EVO and find it good. https://geizhals.de/samsung-ssd-960-evo-500gb-mz-v6e500bw-a1511200.html?t=alle&plz=&va=b&vl=de&hloc=at&hloc=de&v=e&togglecountry=set#filterform

If no support for M.2 PCIe, check for example this out; https://geizhals.de/crucial-mx300-525gb-ct525mx300ssd1-a1481819.html?hloc=de

Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7 | i7-8700K | 32GB DDR4 3600 | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE | EKWB custom loop water cooling | Samsung M.2 EVO 960 500GB SSD + 2 x Crucial 250MX SSD + 4TB HD | Asus PG348Q 3440x1440 | TrackIR5 | Oculus Rift CV1 | MSFFB2 w extension + Saitek X52 Throttle + MFG Crosswind | Windows 10-64

He is using an olde i5 , I doubt he will have an M.2 slot on his board

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests

What motherboard do you have? Does it support M.2 interface?

If it does, check what M.2 SSDs are listed as supported on the motherboard manufacturers supported devices list on their web site for you particular motherboard.

I have Samsung 960 EVO and find it good. https://geizhals.de/samsung-ssd-960-evo-500gb-mz-v6e500bw-a1511200.html?t=alle&plz=&va=b&vl=de&hloc=at&hloc=de&v=e&togglecountry=set#filterform

If no support for M.2 PCIe, check for example this out; https://geizhals.de/crucial-mx300-525gb-ct525mx300ssd1-a1481819.html?hloc=de

thanks for the Tips;

I have an Intel Motherboard:

exactly this one:

https://ark.intel.com/de/products/50098/Intel-Desktop-Board-DH67BL

I can see that it support PCie , dont know if it also means PCIe M.2 spec though... dont think it features M.2

Edited by JABO2009

Win 7 - 64 Pro

/ Track IR5

Like I said 2 posts above this .... it is an old board, doubt it would have M.2 support

And looking at the pictures NO it does not support M.2 because it was released

before M.2 was developed

Want some good advice?

Build or if you cannot build it yourself get a mate to build you a new system, that one is far too olde

to even consider spending anymore money on

Edited by Johnny_Rico

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests

Like I said 2 posts above this .... it is an old board, doubt it would have M.2 support

And looking at the pictures NO it does not support M.2 because it was released

before M.2 was developed

Want some good advise?

Build or if you cannot build it yourself get a mate to build you a new system, that one is far too olde

My system is also old, but I have M.2 drive as system drive.

The only needed is cheap M.2 adapter ($5-$10) and BIOS mod.

Edit: This is not solution for his board. It doesn't have PCIe x4 slot for the adapter.

Edited by Brainless

Ryzen 5900X (Water), 32GB DDR4@3600CL16, ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti (Water), U4021QW, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, 2x1000GB RAID 1, 2000GB,

Thrustmaster Warthog + MFG Crosswind, HMD Odyssey+

Well I will upgrade RAM and see how it works out, if its not the answer I go for a news system soon.

another PC hardware noob question: with currently 16GB of RAM, what would you recommend ? another 8 GiGs ? or 32 GB configuration

Win 7 - 64 Pro

/ Track IR5

Well I will upgrade RAM and see how it works out, if its not the answer I go for a news system soon.

another PC hardware noob question: with currently 16GB of RAM, what would you recommend ? another 8 GiGs ? or 32 GB configuration

with your current system with 16GB of RAM, I would recommend that you review your in game settings, so that you stay below the 16GB. That's the cheapest way. ;-)

...What are your in game settings?

a small preload radius means small RAM & VRAM requirement and lots of small terrain loading from disk.

a large preload radius means larger RAM & VRAM requirement and less frequent, but larger terrain loading from disk...

Post your ingame settings for review.

additionally, I would recommend a SSD

From you Motherboard link earlier, your PC supports SATA 6Gbit/s

Gesamtanzahl der SATA-Ports 5

Maximale Anzahl der SATA-6,0-Gbit/s-Ports 2

Therfore, I'd recommend the SSD 6Gbit/s sata drive I recommended earlier.

...If no support for M.2 PCIe, check for example this out; https://geizhals.de/crucial-mx300-525gb-ct525mx300ssd1-a1481819.html?hloc=de

...and ofcourse if you do have the funds, go with what Jonny Rico said;

...Want some good advise?

If you are short on funds, go ahead and just get the SSD first. 500 GB is plenty to get Windows and DCS installed on it. If it does not help you to get the performance you want, you can still use it when building a new rig.

Hi folks,

after 2.2 was runnign fine the last few days, I suddenly have terrible RAM usage and no joy at all in MP..

when I spawn at some MP servers like 99th server, my PC RAM usage is going crazy and DCS nearly hangs up...and sometimes does.. I hear my PC "calculating" like crazy and DCS freezes to a complete halt..

after checking RAM usage,ingame; it indicates about 14,7 GB RAM !! out of my 16 GB RAM is more or less permanently beeing used, while the processor is only used by approx 9 to 15%.

how can I handle this ? never experienced it so badly before.. DCS unplayable atm :huh:

Pls help me out

Same problem.

From another post.

_________________________________________________________________________________

I seem to be having issues to.

Can anyone explain this?

attachment.php?attachmentid=174495&d=1513590184

I have

i-7-3770 @ 3.4

16 gigs of RAM

GeForce GTX 1060 3G

Toshiba MD04ACA500 HD

While I realize my specs are not the best in the world I could play DCS 2.X before online with pretty decent frame rates. Note I am only playing on a 1080 not a 4K.

And before anyone asks yes all my drivers are up to date and I ran a repair on DCS.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Despite what BitMaster said note these problems started after the update. I ran fine before with no issues.

Edited by ZQuickSilverZ

I need, I need, I need... What about my wants? QuickSilver original.

"Off with his job" Mr Burns on the Simpsons.

"I've seen steering wheels / arcade sticks / flight sticks for over a hundred dollars; why be surprised at a 150 dollar item that includes the complexities of this controller?! It has BLINKY LIGHTS!!" author unknown.

These titles are listed in the chronological order I purchased them.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It looks like you have opened it twice..???

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

I restarted it and looked at the output, making sure there was no (2) this time, and there was no difference. It still runs like a pig using much more ram than it used to.

Edited by ZQuickSilverZ

I need, I need, I need... What about my wants? QuickSilver original.

"Off with his job" Mr Burns on the Simpsons.

"I've seen steering wheels / arcade sticks / flight sticks for over a hundred dollars; why be surprised at a 150 dollar item that includes the complexities of this controller?! It has BLINKY LIGHTS!!" author unknown.

These titles are listed in the chronological order I purchased them.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

How about my initial answer on this thread;

2.2 seem to have some new issues in there that effect especially Multi Player. If you are fine on single player you might be best off waiting a while for the next patch.

What are your in game settings?

a large preload radius means larger RAM & VRAM requirement and less frequent, but larger terrain loading from disk.

If you do not have a SSD, you might want to consider.

i.e.;

1 - DCS 2.2 seems to be buggy and especially multiplayer performance is very bad. Either get youself a killer rig or cross your fingers and pray that ED actually fixes some issues for the next patch instead of just creating new ones.

2 - Check your ingame settings. These can effect your performance greatly.

3 - Consider updating your system with a SSD drive, if you do not already have one.

Ok guys, another point I just found out:

upgrading the RAM as some mentioned seems pointless with my Win 7 Version.. :(

Im running Win 7 Home Premium X64, which obviously is only able to manage 16GB RAM max !!

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778(v=vs.85).aspx#physical_memory_limits_windows_7

So it seems I anyway have 2 options left, 1. try with SSD 2. completely new Rig

Edited by JABO2009

Win 7 - 64 Pro

/ Track IR5

Your RAM is supposed to be used up, that's what it's there for. As the game accesses data, it is stored in RAM for fast retrieval. Over a period of time, or in a more demanding game, this RAM will fill up. THAT'S THE POINT. Unused data gets flushed periodically to free resources for new calls.

As the above poster mentioned, the "calculating" is your harddrive, and yes, using an SSD for DCS will dramatically improve load times and help prevent some resulting stutter.

If it WAS fine, and only now started acting up, then you should check if you have anti-virus or other crap running in the background and close it down if so.

Other things that can cause the stuttering, maybe your internet is having a bad day? Maybe the server you connected to was having a bad day? Did you try other servers, or did you just keep doing the same thing over and over instead of testing things yourself? Does it do it in singleplayer, too? Was the mission the server was running really complex?

There are a lot of things that can cause poor performance, and not all of them are directly related to the game.

Lastly, please go do some reading regarding basic familiarisation on how a PC works.

This!, exactly my thoughts :)

Take a look at my MODS here

How about my initial answer on this thread;

i.e.;

1 - DCS 2.2 seems to be buggy and especially multiplayer performance is very bad. Either get youself a killer rig or cross your fingers and pray that ED actually fixes some issues for the next patch instead of just creating new ones.

2 - Check your ingame settings. These can effect your performance greatly.

3 - Consider updating your system with a SSD drive, if you do not already have one.

thanks and yes Im considering this to be the best I can do atm..

Because of my Win 7 Home 16GB RAM limitation, I will move my operating System and DCS to an SSD..

Win 7 - 64 Pro

/ Track IR5

I will move my operating System and DCS to an SSD..

System and DCS on separate SSD drives ;)

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X | i7 9700K@5.0GHz | Gainward Phantom GS RTX 3080 | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | HP Reverb | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Croswinds | DCS PD 1.0 / Steam VR SS 170%