Virpil Mongoose or VKB MCG Pro?

Good morning,

Trying to decide on a new flightstick as my wife has lovingly let me know that's what I'm getting for Christmas!

So, I'm trying to decide between the Mongoose and the VKB MCG Pro and would appreciate any feedback. I'm coming from a Saitek X55 stick and throttle so I'm sure either will be a significant upgrade.

My thought process and research so far is as follows (Sorry for the novel)

Base - both the Mongoose and the gunfighter base seem very well reviewed. Virpil had a few QC issues right out of the gate but has been diligent in getting them resolved and most people seem very happy with their customer service. I haven't heard too many complaints about the gunfighter either, but that may be due to the limited numbers of Rev. A bases shipped. Actual usage reviews seem to be very positive for both with an edge going to gunfighter for helo pilots due to the dry clutch system. I don't fly helo's that much so the adjustability of the Virpil base with the externally accessable screws has an edge in my mind.

Extensions: I currently have a desktop setup but have read a lot of good things about mounting the stick lower (likely the side) and using an extension for better control. Both Virpil & VKB offer extensions - Virpil has a straight extension and VKB has a curved - I have no idea which is better, or how much length to go with. My initial thought was start with the 100mm straight extension off to the side and go from there but I would like some input on this.

Grip: The Virpil grip would be a definite improvement over what I have and would probably meet my needs nicely as the only plane I seem to run out of grip controls for is the A-10c in DCS. HOWEVER - I REALLY like the 4 way + push combo's (especially the thumb) on the MCG Pro. I've never had an analogue thumbstick so I'm unsure whether this is important to me or not. I'm not worried about historical accuracy - I tend to fill the buttons if I have them and don't have a real interest in constantly swapping the grips out. So far for me the VKB MCG Pro grip provides the best number of options. Does anyone know if the rotation of the grip can be offset?

Mounting solutions: I REALLY like the Virpil desk mounts. I like the way they work with the stick and can be quickly added or removed to my desk depending on whether I'm flying, working, or doing anything else. That versatility is something I really appreciate. VKB does not offer any kind of mounting solution. I can probably rig something up to make it work but the convenience of the Virpil system really appeals to me. I realise I can add the virpil mounts to any system but this does add to the expense.

Throttle: Virpils throttle is (almost) out now. VKB's isn't even being whispered about yet which means it's likely 12-18 months before I can buy one at a minimum. I don't think I'll really be in the market for a throttle for at least 6 months but I have more confidence that Virpil will be shipping theirs when I'm ready than VKB will be. I'm sure the VKB throttle will be nice but if it's not ready when I am I'll have to figure out whether or not running two "systems" is a big deal to me. I'm pretty sure this is a minor picky thing I'm fussing about.

Availability: The Virpil of course is shipping now, and has been shipping for a number of months. I feel there is also an advantage here because they've maybe had a chance to work some of the initial production bugs out of their sticks. If I put in for a gunfighter/MCG PRO then maybe there's a higher risk of early production type glitches? The other part is that while there hasn't been an announcement yet of further delays - everyone is still only hoping they'll start to ship on Friday. Advantage to Virpil

Company reputation: VKB has the advantage here as the established player. That said, from hours of cruising the internet I'm hearing a TON of good things about Virpils customer service and efforts to make things right when something goes wrong. So do I value the old established company higher or the newcomer looking to impress? I think there's a slight advantage to Virpil here but it might be close enough to be considered a draw.

Price: the Virpil with 100mm extension comes in at $453 USD shipped, the MCG Pro/gunfighter comes in at $505 USD shipped. I can add the desk mount to the virpil and get the whole package ready to go for pretty much the same price as the gunfighter/MCG. Advantage to Virpil here.

TLDR; trying to decide on a new flight stick and the Virpil has an edge in most departments EXCEPT that I like the functionality of the VKB MCG Pro Grip a lot better.

So... what else am I missing? Any suggestions or input would be great!

Thanks,

I have been using my Virpil setup for a while now and absolutely love it.

I would highly recommend it , I can also vouch for their support.

Do yourself a favor, get the complete extension kit, and deskmount, and center mount that puppy. Once you have used it this way, you'll never go back to a desktop stick or side mounted one.

I am sure Gunfighter is good also, in fact I still have one new in box I have had since April, waiting patiently for that new MCG Pro grip...

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

VPC has Roman Baur from BRD fame as chief designer and he has been designing and building controls for a long time. Also, other key people in VPC such as Solway are well-known among virtual pilots as great engineers and DIYers. So, VPC is very much an "established player".

VPC also closely listens to customer base input. I would put my trust in VPC. Also, their sticks are warthog-compatible and should any 3rd party sticks come out, you won't need an adapter.

My controls & seat

Main controls: , BRD-N v4 Flightstick (Kreml C5 controller), TM Warthog Throttle (Kreml F3 controller), BRD-F2 Restyling Bf-109 Pedals w. damper, TrackIR5, Gametrix KW-908 (integrated into RAV4 seat)

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

BRD-M2 Mi-8 Pedals (Ruddermaster controller)

BRD-N v3 Flightstick w. exch. grip upgrade (Kreml C5 controller)

Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle

Pilot seat

At this point I'd go with Virpil and call it good.

Probably just based on history, but I have a feeling another MCG delay is imminent.

i7-4790k @ 4.4GHZ, 32GB G. Skill Ripjaws DDR-2133 RAM, EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3, Crucial M500 SSD, VKB MCG, TWCS Throttle, MFG Crosswind, TrackIR 5

I'm in same situation as you are and I'm eagerly waiting to replace my X52. So far I am very much leaning towards the VPC. Reasons are similar to yours, but most importantly:

- VPC has throttle coming although the delay came as a huge disappointment

- I want the set from a single manufacturer with supporting software. Again, it's "coming" from VPC, but has been delayed apparently.

So assuming they release throttle within before end of Feb - I'm their client.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Aorus B550 Pro | 32GB DDR4-3600 | RTX 4080 | VKB MGC Pro Gunfighter Mk III + Thustmaster TWCS + VKB T-Rudder Mk4 | HP Reverb G2

FC3 | A-10C II | Ка-50 | P-51 | UH-1 | Ми-8 | F-86F | МиГ-21 | FW-190 | МиГ-15 | Л-39 | Bf 109 | M-2000C | F-5 | Spitfire | AJS-37 | AV-8B | F/A-18C | Як-52 | F-14 | F-16 | Ми-24 | AH-64

NTTR | Normandy | Gulf | Syria | Supercarrier |

I'm going back and forth as well. I do like the mcg features over the virpil stick (more hats, buttons) . Ive been put off by VKB's approach to delays and customer service response. I want them to release the best product possible however, I think it could have been handled better. Like you mentioned virpils customer care seems to be on top of issues which is very welcome but the QC issues are scaring me a little bit. I do like the collaboration with Baur as ive considered his products over both. Availability goes to virpil and I'm hoping they hav ironed out the bugs which could be present in the batch of VKB's that come out Friday (hopefully). I do like the curved extension VKB has, virpils should work with after market warthog ones too though.

| 8700k @4.9 | Gigabyte Gaming 7 | 32gb Tridentz @3000 | EVGA 1080 TI SC2 | CV1 | VKB MCG PRO

[sigpic]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FeLGqKyJ3K08k3z-7XaegWgRuGRGkKUs/view?usp=sharing[/sigpic]

Mounting solutions: I REALLY like the Virpil desk mounts. I like the way they work with the stick and can be quickly added or removed to my desk depending on whether I'm flying, working, or doing anything else. That versatility is something I really appreciate. VKB does not offer any kind of mounting solution. I can probably rig something up to make it work but the convenience of the Virpil system really appeals to me. I realise I can add the virpil mounts to any system but this does add to the expense.

https://www.monstertech.de/en/product/joystick-hotas-table-mount/

If like me you want something that will look nice, but don't have the space, tools and time to build something. Expensive though. They also have a long version for use with extensions.

An image from their website with a gunfighter and extension:

monstertech_desk_mount_gunfighter_pro.jpg

Edited by Sideslip

System specs: i7 3820 @4.75Ghz, Asus P9X79LE, EVGA GTX1080SC @2100mhz, 16GB Gskil DDR3 @ 2000mhz, 512GB 960EVO m.2, 2 X 512GB 860EVO SATA3 in RAID0, EVGA Supernova 850W G2, Phantek Entho Luxe White. CPU and GPU custom water-cooled with 420mm rad and lots of Noctua fans.

ASUS PG348Q. VKB Gladiator Pro w/MCG, X-55 throttle and MFG Crosswind.

I have been using my Virpil setup for a while now and absolutely love it.

I would highly recommend it , I can also vouch for their support.

Do yourself a favor, get the complete extension kit, and deskmount, and center mount that puppy. Once you have used it this way, you'll never go back to a desktop stick or side mounted one.

I am sure Gunfighter is good also, in fact I still have one new in box I have had since April, waiting patiently for that new MCG Pro grip...

You're suggesting the whole extension kit over just the 100mm? So that'd be the 100+75+50 =225mm extension?

https://www.monstertech.de/en/product/joystick-hotas-table-mount/

If like me you want something that will look nice, but don't have the space, tools and time to build something. Expensive though. They also have a long version for use with extensions.

An image from their website with a gunfighter and extension:

monstertech_desk_mount_gunfighter_pro.jpg

I did have a look at those the other night, thanks.

They are super nice but as you say, expensive; at 110 euro's before shipping they're triple what the Virpil mounts cost.

They're extremely similar. One is available now, the other willbe available SoonTM. Which developer do you want to support? Buy that one.

I went with VKB, despite the wait, because they're effectively the 'original' high quality sim provider that started it all and for long years were the only really 'high end' provider. Their product is still partially in dev, though, so it requires patience.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Thank you to everyone for the comments. I felt like they really cemented a lot of the research that I'd done already and answered the few questions I had left.

My wife wanted to pull the trigger on it tonight and we decided to go with the full Virpil kit. The T50CM with the extensions so I can go up to 225MM if I want to :)

Now for the waiting!

Thank you to everyone for the comments. I felt like they really cemented a lot of the research that I'd done already and answered the few questions I had left.

My wife wanted to pull the trigger on it tonight and we decided to go with the full Virpil kit. The T50CM with the extensions so I can go up to 225MM if I want to :)

Now for the waiting!

Welcome to team VPC!

If you ever have any questions, just let me know :thumbup:

► Website: www.virpil.com // ► Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/VirPilControls // ► Twitter: https://twitter.com/VirPilControls

For support please email support@virpil.com to open a ticket!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Now for the waiting!

Congrats!

I think you will be pretty happy!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Other than " has it shipped yet"? All I've got is does everyone get a fancy dust cover?

Really looking forward to it!

Not yet! We estimate about 14 days order processing time due to the high demand we're catching up with - though feel free to email me at sale@virpil.com for an order update absolutely whenever :thumbup:

The dust covers were given out to our pre-order customers as a free gift as there were a few weeks of delays - however you can purchase it separately from our webstore :)

► Website: www.virpil.com // ► Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/VirPilControls // ► Twitter: https://twitter.com/VirPilControls

For support please email support@virpil.com to open a ticket!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I am little in the same boat as you, yet I have made my decision like 60/40 split but I am constantly still swapping it as interest to see what the VKB brings next year. When I saw the Virpil throttle it was very nice sign, but as I didn't find the price yet or do more research is it already fixed for style etc, I am still holding back for a few HOTAS setups.

This is the huge challenge for an consumer, you try to compare two sets of products that both are half-way released or announced, yet you are fighting with your requirements and needs over what you want.

So for me the problem is easy to fix, by simply waiting to see what the VKB brings on table as I don't need to get things for Christmas now (and already too late to get them shipped). So instead I might go to drop the 3000€ for totally something else before that, as I have lusted such things for a couple years in other market to come than aviation simulation.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Hi,

I ordered a VPC MongoosT-50CM Flightstick on last Wednesday (12/13/17) from France, order is confirmed...

Transaction paiement has been done .

This product seems to be very good to replace my Thrustmaster Warthog hotas ;)

So I hope that I can have it during next week and before new year ;)

Edited by sunski34

I am little in the same boat as you, yet I have made my decision like 60/40 split but I am constantly still swapping it as interest to see what the VKB brings next year. When I saw the Virpil throttle it was very nice sign, but as I didn't find the price yet or do more research is it already fixed for style etc, I am still holding back for a few HOTAS setups.

100% right there in the boat with you :thumbup:

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Not yet! We estimate about 14 days order processing time due to the high demand we're catching up with - though feel free to email me at sale@virpil.com for an order update absolutely whenever :thumbup:

The dust covers were given out to our pre-order customers as a free gift as there were a few weeks of delays - however you can purchase it separately from our webstore :)

Hi Cyph3r,

I tried to contact you here in PM and sent a email to that address above to have informations. My order is in the same state since 12/13/17...

No response at this time :cry:

Hi Cyph3r,

I tried to contact you here in PM and sent a email to that address above to have informations. My order is in the same state since 12/13/17...

No response at this time :cry:

I ordered mine on 11/17 and it did not ship until 12/7. Still hasn't made it to the customs office in New York. With any luck maybe a Saturday delivery, but more than likely not till after Xmas.

If you are located in a EU country and you buy directly from the supplier in Russia or Belarus then you certainly have to pay import VAT.

If you buy from Amazon or any other reseller in your EU country then the posted price should include the VAT.

I can only guess what the rules are in Denver CO.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5