Laser Code

Neon67

There is no data connection between a regular LGB (i.e. not the dual mode bombs like laser jdams), so you can't change the bomb code from the cockpit. The in-cockpit setting is for the DMT/TGP only.

Is that general or specific to the Harrier? Because in the M2000 and the A-10C we can change the laser code in cockpit.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

It's a general feature of the Paveway series. While there may be some newer marks of the series that allow changing the code fron the cockpit, the Paveway IIs only have rotary selector switches on the seeker/guidance section. The only connections between the bomb and the pylon are the mounting lugs and a safety wire that deploys the rear fins and activates the thermal battery. There is no interface for transmitting any kind of data to the bomb.

As drPhibes says it should not be possible to set LGB code in the jet, the feature is there on the A-10 as a workaround, in reality the pilot simply sets the DSMS to match the bomb settings. The way the F-5 does it, via the Kneeboard when on the ground is the most realistic option.

If a JTAC or other aircraft is going to lase for your bombs they need to set your weapon’s laser code, not the other way around. IRL aircraft use different codes to prevent weapons guiding on each other’s laser unintentionally.

Incidentally, Paveway II can only use codes from 1511-1688 in reality as well.

Edited by Eddie

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

Did I get this right? Beeing able to change the laser code in the A-10C and M2000 in DCS is wrong?

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

In terms of it affecting the weapons themselves, yes.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

In terms of it affecting the weapons themselves, yes.

Good to know, thanks :thumbup:

Tornado3 small.jpg

Well, it might be wrong for the A10, the correct way of putting it would be

"you should not be able to change the laser code mid-air"

In the Mirage you have to turn off your engines, have weight on your wheels and change the code via kneeboard, so that mimics ground crew doing it for you, which I think is enough realism and still gives players freedom (not that I have heard anyone being opposed to this concept).

I would expect the same mechanic to come to the Harrier eventually.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"DCS World is the main public build, it has nothing to do with being stable" -Bignewy

... so that mimics ground crew doing it for you, which I think is enough realism and still gives players freedom...

:D:smartass:

( I mean this as a joke, just being sarcastic and amusing myself)

No dammit! I want to do a walk around my jet, open all require doors (and some not require, but I have no idea what I am doing). Asking nonsensical question to the plane captain or crew chief (who cares what they answer, I'm the pilot) Ask things like:"Is that tire good?" etc. I want to pull the arming wire on the LGBU and activate it, causing a ground emergency and canceling the go. ( This actually happened once in Luke AFB, pilot actually did that on a practice LGBU) Then jump in the jet and break it (code 3 before taxi) then just use the spare.

:P

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Hi guys

I was wondering after watching tutorials

Does changing the dmt laser code, affect the laser code for the gbu aswell? or is it also separated like in the a10 ?

thanks

There is one laser code for the aircraft. It is the same for the DMT, TGP and AGM-65E, which will eventually be included.

Also the code resets to its default value of 1111 whenever the aircraft is weight-on-wheels. So the kneeboard solution does not work for the AV-8B DA, NA and Plus.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

.Also the code resets to its default value of 1111 whenever the aircraft is weight-on-wheels. So the kneeboard solution does not work for the AV-8B DA, NA and Plus.

The code in the aircraft avionics may reset, but the code on the weapons won’t. So the knee board solution would still be valid for the Paveways themselves. At least that way you won’t be inadvertently (and unrealistically) changing your weapon codes when you adjust settings to spot a laser from another source or change your pod code to guide another’s weapon.

Spoiler

Well, it might be wrong for the A10, the correct way of putting it would be

"you should not be able to change the laser code mid-air"

In the Mirage you have to turn off your engines, have weight on your wheels and change the code via kneeboard, so that mimics ground crew doing it for you, which I think is enough realism and still gives players freedom (not that I have heard anyone being opposed to this concept).

I would expect the same mechanic to come to the Harrier eventually.

Right, I forgot that the M2000 has the same laser code mechanic as the F-5. :doh:

Tornado3 small.jpg

At the end of the day they are all going to be made to match up.

So I will think of it this way: The mission calls for a certain laser code. It's been set in the bombs, and provided to the JTAC. Your job in the ground attack aircraft is to match the aircraft's code up to those other two.

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Have fun. Don't suck. Kill bad guys. 👍

https://discord.gg/blacksharkden/

Incidentally, Paveway II can only use codes from 1511-1688 in reality as well.

1511-1788, in fact.

1775 and 1776 are common training codes for laughs. :)

Setting LGBs (and eventually APKWS) via the kneeboard sounds like an elegant workaround for ensuring they are properly coded and aren't adjustable in flight.

Yet I still managed to hit targets on the F99th server, where the JTAC's were lasing with 1112 and 1113, the bombs were tracking fine. I suppose this means that the bomb code is changed but its not supposed to?

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm

so does the code reset occur if you fluff a takeoff roll / vertical T/O by going wheels of the ground and then putting weight back on again? or does it only reset after weight of - gear up - gear down - weight on sequence?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Modules are like Pokemon you gotta catch 'em all :joystick::lol::pilotfly:

AMD Ryzen7 3700x, G-Skills 32Gb RAM @ 3200Mhz, MSI GTX1080Ti, TM Warthog (20cm extension by Sahaj), MFG Crosswind Pedals, Oculus Rift, Track Ir5

Yet I still managed to hit targets on the F99th server, where the JTAC's were lasing with 1112 and 1113, the bombs were tracking fine. I suppose this means that the bomb code is changed but its not supposed to?

Yes, this worked for me too. As long as my LST code was right, the bombs tracked even on 1688

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]