how is everyone dealing with clickable cockpit in VR?

hannibal

so i just bought the harrier on presale, fired it up over the weekend, and i have to say it looks amazing being in the cockpit.

but i jump on multiplayer, all i could do is watch the guys take off. :(

HOW IS everyone flying DCS level aircraft with VR headsets?

i tried the trackball, but that went out the door once i mounted the trackball on my sim chair and them cursor was all over the place due to the vibrations of the buttkicker.

the center dot, look around mouse cursor is un natural for me. it might work for the hangar menu, but when looking at certain areas of panels, it just cause unnecessary head strain to center the dot at a particular button.

I wish there was some kind of hand related input device that allows me to move the cursor with my hand freely in air so i can toggle the virtual cockpit switches.

other than that i have mostly been on FC3 planes because i have enough controller buttons to map all necessary plane commands and controls..

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

I dont have VR yet, but I think that i would use voice attack software to activate most things:

nJ8_zj5eWlk

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Not sure if I undertand well, but the cursor (I use the free movement, not center dot) bothers me in VR too, so I set Alt-C command in my HOTAS to hide/show the cursor. So the cursor is there when I need it, and not when I don’t.

If you mean that there is a lack of precision with the center dot cursor, use the free mouse (activate in VR settings). As I said, it works better for me.

Edited by nachomaga

I just use the mouse just like in non-VR. No real difference in practice.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

I use both a mouse and have the Warthog throttle mouse button setup. I find the majority of things I can get with the throttle button but those that are close to your butt or behind are hard to reach so I use the regular mouse for that.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

Hmm...I have already just used my mouse, but reading this thread I am starting to wonder if I should add a trackball next to my throttle on my left side? I hate having to take my hand off the stick to use the mouse (mouse is on my right side), so the wire trackball mounted next to my throttle on the left might be a great solution...

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

I use the mouse. For a year in VR now. :D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

mouse and voice commands.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I have a trackball (M570) as a mouse. however, I bought a second trackball and Velcroed it to the cheapest Kneeboard I found in amazon, and I strapped it on my left knee.

I use a trackball as well, and I like your idea of strapping it to the leg - as my little kneeboard I bought is rather useless now in VR. :thumbup:

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

I use a trackball as well, and I like your idea of strapping it to the leg - as my little kneeboard I bought is rather useless now in VR. :thumbup:

Are you using a trackball in addition to your regular mouse? Using it on the left side/left hand?

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Trackball mounted at an angle in the right hand lower corner of the Warthog metal stand plate. I use the mouse function in the VR settings and it works like a charm. I've mapped the throttle/joy combo so that I can fly the P-51D with no problems. I flew my first Charnwood mission yesterday and it worked flawlessly. The A-10 is awesome. I'm a real pilot and it was like riding a bike. It will be fun to see what is developed that will allow us to use our real hands. I imagine some sort of glove will be developed that the oculus interfaces with.

• Like 1

Are you using a trackball in addition to your regular mouse? Using it on the left side/left hand?

I don't use regular mice - haven't done so in years. For me, this is my fav trackball (right hand usage).

Edit: This one here might be even better... have to check it out. :)

Edited by rrohde

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

I currently use a left-hand trackball, velcro'd to the side of my throttle quadrant.

Previously, I used to use a mini-keyboard on a pilot's kneeboard on my thigh.

Either way, instead of using the mouse to move, you may want to uncheck "use mouse" or whatever in the VR options, then the cursor becomes a fixed point following your head direction, and you simply use your head to look at a switch/dial and then the mouse buttons or scroll wheel to manipulate.

• Like 1

I don't use regular mice - haven't done so in years. For me, this is my fav trackball (right hand usage).

Edit: This one here might be even better... have to check it out. :)

The MX-Ergo would be perfect if it was offered in a left-handed variant.

I HATE having to take my hand off the stick mid-flight/turn (especially in formation) to reach for my mouse to click things inside of the cockpit. So, I am thinking I may use a dual mouse system...one will be my standard mouse which I already have off to my right side.

For the second one, I think I want to bolt an adapter to some of the free space on my Wheel Stand Pro (below). I have mine mounted in reverse, so the spare space is off to the left of the throttle...I think I could affix a small trackball like the one below to that, that way I can use either my left or right hand to click things in the cockpit, depending on which is easier.

maxresdefault.jpg

71SUe9nkS5L._SL1500_.jpg

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

I just assign the mouse in VR to a button click and use that.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I use a trackball next to my throttle and I find that the regular mouse, which remains plugged-in, also works simultaneously. Unfortunately, Microsoft wasn’t clever enough to have a separate configuration for each mouse so I have to use the same primary button on both pointing devices. The natural preference for me would be to have the primary and secondary buttons reversed on the track ball. But I digress.

I just assign the mouse in VR to a button click and use that.

And you just aim it with your "eyes"/VR HMD? I guess that does make sense and would be easier.

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

And you just aim it with your "eyes"/VR HMD? I guess that does make sense and would be easier.

Yep that is what I do. Of course I have most all needed functions assigned to my HOTAS so that helps as well.

I once did the entire KA-50 cold start procedure this way, was a bit cumbersome and rough on the neck a little, but I got through it.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

The MX-Ergo would be perfect if it was offered in a left-handed variant.

I HATE having to take my hand off the stick mid-flight/turn (especially in formation) to reach for my mouse to click things inside of the cockpit. So, I am thinking I may use a dual mouse system...one will be my standard mouse which I already have off to my right side.

For the second one, I think I want to bolt an adapter to some of the free space on my Wheel Stand Pro (below). I have mine mounted in reverse, so the spare space is off to the left of the throttle...I think I could affix a small trackball like the one below to that, that way I can use either my left or right hand to click things in the cockpit, depending on which is easier.

I do pretty much the same thing: standard mouse on right, and trackball velcro'd to side of TMWH throttle box for in-flight manipulation. I tried a number of trackballs, and settled on this for two reasons:

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Trackball-Left-Handed-buttons-M-XT4DRBK/dp/B016QCPRBM

(1) Left-handed trackball

(2) Scroll wheel

The first is self-explanatory, though, obviously a center ball would do just as well, especially if you prefer rolling it with your index finger rather than your thumb.

Not having (2) is a deal-breaker. So many dials to rotate become a horrendous PIA when needing to press and move your head or the mouse. You "slip" off the control point too easily, or otherwise spend too much time concentrating on keeping the cursor on point while rotating the dial that your aircraft goes all over the place. Waaaaay too frustrating. I had a fairly expensive Kensington ambidextrous trackball that promised a touch/scroll wheel that is now sitting useless in a box because it really sucked for dials. The Logitech series makes the BEST scroll wheels in existence ... but unfortunately, I cannot find a left hand trackball mouse anymore. Which is why I settled on the mouse linked to above.

In fact, to be honest, if there was a way I could have JUST the scroll wheel and attach that to my throttle, that would be great. Maybe VKB will deliver one with this built-in the future?

I think if I was starting from scratch today, I would probably try out a touchpad instead of a trackball, if it supported multi-finger gestures for scrolling etc.

M570 trackball for me which is semi-permanently velcroed to a mini pull out hinged table I added to my handmade table (an old school woodwork table), Viacom too which is invaluable, everything else I need is on my Warthog.

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

I do pretty much the same thing: standard mouse on right, and trackball velcro'd to side of TMWH throttle box for in-flight manipulation. I tried a number of trackballs, and settled on this for two reasons:

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Trackball-Left-Handed-buttons-M-XT4DRBK/dp/B016QCPRBM

(1) Left-handed trackball

(2) Scroll wheel

The first is self-explanatory, though, obviously a center ball would do just as well, especially if you prefer rolling it with your index finger rather than your thumb.

Not having (2) is a deal-breaker. So many dials to rotate become a horrendous PIA when needing to press and move your head or the mouse. You "slip" off the control point too easily, or otherwise spend too much time concentrating on keeping the cursor on point while rotating the dial that your aircraft goes all over the place. Waaaaay too frustrating. I had a fairly expensive Kensington ambidextrous trackball that promised a touch/scroll wheel that is now sitting useless in a box because it really sucked for dials. The Logitech series makes the BEST scroll wheels in existence ... but unfortunately, I cannot find a left hand trackball mouse anymore. Which is why I settled on the mouse linked to above.

In fact, to be honest, if there was a way I could have JUST the scroll wheel and attach that to my throttle, that would be great. Maybe VKB will deliver one with this built-in the future?

I think if I was starting from scratch today, I would probably try out a touchpad instead of a trackball, if it supported multi-finger gestures for scrolling etc.

Funny you added that last sentence...I was thinking as I was reading "Man that's a great point about the scroll function, a touchpad sounds like the best solution".

Agree that it would be best if VKB delivered on that in their throttle design, but it's doubtful at this point...I am waiting for their throttle announcement to upgrade my HOTAS, but god only knows how long that will be given all the delays they've had with the MCG, so even if they do deliver I don't feel like waiting on it. Going to order a touchpad mouse now.

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

I wish the cursor would stay where you left it as you would in the hangar menu..

I find it annoying to use in game because the cursor trails your vision amd when you make small head movements its like fighting the cursor for a precise placement on the in game button

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179