DCS 2.2 GPU load 75% in VR

kunterbunt

I'm puzzled with the performance of DCS in VR. I can get 60 FPS in 2D full HD with most settings maxed out. The GPU in the Task Manager is mostly running at 99% or 100%, but never below 95%. CPU is running 25% - 47%. Very good performance. Performance is also quit stable.

Otherwise in VR (Oculus) I only get about 35% sometimes getting as low as 16 FPS with a CPU load of 25% and an average GPU load of 75%.

2d 60hz CPU 30%, GPU 100%

vr 35Hz - 25% CPU 25%, GPU 75%

What is the bottleneck of my system in VR mode?

Why is my GPU not running at 100%?

????

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X | 64GB DDR4-3200 Ram | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | MFG Crosswind rudder pedals | HP Reverb

check the load on each core, I assume 1 is tilt and becomes your bottleneck

open taskmanager, single core view, double click the core graphs to minimize the gui and set it ti always on top, then fly and watch the 4 cores.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 3x 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

check the load on each core, I assume 1 is tilt and becomes your bottleneck

open taskmanager, single core view, double click the core graphs to minimize the gui and set it ti always on top, then fly and watch the 4 cores.

Why should my CPU be the bottleneck in VR, but not in 2d? 25% is one core running at 100%.

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X | 64GB DDR4-3200 Ram | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | MFG Crosswind rudder pedals | HP Reverb

I'm puzzled with the performance of DCS in VR. I can get 60 FPS in 2D full HD with most settings maxed out. The GPU in the Task Manager is mostly running at 99% or 100%, but never below 95%. CPU is running 25% - 47%. Very good performance. Performance is also quit stable.

Otherwise in VR (Oculus) I only get about 35% sometimes getting as low as 16 FPS with a CPU load of 25% and an average GPU load of 75%.

2d 60hz CPU 30%, GPU 100%

vr 35Hz - 25% CPU 25%, GPU 75%

What is the bottleneck of my system in VR mode?

Why is my GPU not running at 100%?

????

in rough lines, you need to render the world twice in one frame.

go to the VR subforum (under INPUT/Output) there is a sticky there with tips on what settings you can tune down to maximize the impact. (for me it's shadows and water reflections).

in rough lines, you need to render the world twice in one frame.

go to the VR subforum (under INPUT/Output) there is a sticky there with tips on what settings you can tune down to maximize the impact. (for me it's shadows and water reflections).

I expected my GPU to max out at 100% and not stay at 75%.

You can't calculate normal rendering to a VR rendering or two different resolutions between by their performance hits.

One can get over 140FPS in 4K all maxed out in DCS, but then get in VR all minimum in same test mission only a 22 FPS. Even when by the math the VR is less than a 4K by resolution requirements, it just requires more.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

You can't calculate normal rendering to a VR rendering or two different resolutions between by their performance hits.

One can get over 140FPS in 4K all maxed out in DCS, but then get in VR all minimum in same test mission only a 22 FPS. Even when by the math the VR is less than a 4K by resolution requirements, it just requires more.

Agree, but why is my GPU load only 75%?

My system behaves, as if in vr CPU load is much higher and is imposing a bottleneck.

Does everybody have the same issue, that GPU load in vr is 75%? This means that GPU is not fully utilized.

Yes I have been pondering this. The latest 2.2 patch is very sweet for me, however this is also coinciding with the fix I posted here

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3316976&postcount=1

When I look at the performance graphs in Task manager GPU is about 65-70 % CPU 45-60% and Memory pegged about 9 Gb used. No obvious bottleneck BUT all my reading gives the same information.

Faster CPU frequency/speed and faster RAM will give better performance and I think this is a quirk of DCS. It will scale to use what hardware its running on

So even though it appears that the system is not utilising itself 100% it probably is and the software will play a big part in that. Have you checked how much Vram is being used?

I have to say I am loving the fact that after so long I can at least run Normandy without huge stutters :)

Hope the above makes sense I think I need more coffee as it is early here :music_whistling:

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My system behaves, as if in vr CPU load is much higher and is imposing a bottleneck.

Does everybody have the same issue, that GPU load in vr is 75%? This means that GPU is not fully utilized.

ED have told us repeatedly the reason. With the way DCS works at the moment there are lot of calls to DirectX to draw things. With VR you need twice as many of them. You are probably seeing scenes where the CPU start being the bottleneck. The GPU is waiting for something to draw hence the lower usage.

This is NOT a problem with DCS but with VR tech as far as I know...I have wondered the same as you many times when using ANY VR based game so no, you are not the only one having this "issue". I can't explain WHY this happens but after some research, I reach to the conclusion that this is simply due to the VR way of rendering, I mean that for some reason you can't use 99/100% gpu for VR apps, maybe because there is something going on in the GPU taking some percentage that can't be "seen" as "usage" under common monitor software. Anyway, it's just a guess but as I said, don't worry, your system is performing as expected and not watching 99% usage is normal in VR.

Cheers!:)

Take a look at my MODS here

I had a similar issue where I noticed a lack of GPU usage, not through the task manager, but by the GPU clock speed not boosting to its maximum potential, as seen in MSI Afterburner.

Setting the GPU power options to "prefer maximum performance" alleviated this issue.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

Well, I went and changed my CPU frequency from standard 3.5Ghz to supported 4.2GHz. Who cares if the PC becomes unstable as long as dcs runs smooth.

Result: No change. GPU still running at about 75%. This clearly shows that the CPU is not the bottleneck.

I then updated the NVidea driver with no different result.

Edited by kunterbunt

After that I changed the Nvidea Setting "Power managemt mode" from default "Optimal Power" to "prefer maximum performance".

GPU usage was a little bit better, but still not fully as expected.

I then set "Virtual Reality pre-rendered frames" from 1 to 3.

Now GPU Load is 100% and FPS is much more stable.

P.S. OculusVR.exe will also use from 5% to 15% of GPU load. Probably for lense distortion fix, space warp and time warp. So, you need to always look at the total in task manager or use GPU-Z, GPU load value.

attachment.php?attachmentid=175724&d=1515331163

Thi sis how my system behaved in 2D.

attachment.php?attachmentid=175725&d=1515331163

This is how it behaved in VR.

attachment.php?attachmentid=175726&d=1515331163

This is how it behaves in VR after the changes. You can see that after the changes the GPU-z GPU load value is now finally always at maximum.

dcs-2d.thumb.png.ea5177d077ce77775e7558e5a590deed.png

70.thumb.png.2f2ed66bdd668b522e9a6a8fd948057c.png

100.thumb.png.829cd56c37532bebe6e65b1a218d6692.png

Edited by kunterbunt