The DCS World Manual needs an Update

Bonz

Not sure when the current DCS World manual was released, but I'm sure it was several significant program updates ago. Manuals are important and should be updated on a regular basis. I understand that keeping pace with software is not possible but regular updates (once per year or so) are necessary and would go a long way in helping new players gain knowledge. Training videos are great, but are generally of mixed quality and not always accurate... not being from the developer. The DCS World manual is an important document and should at least attempt to keep pace with major software releases.

Bonz...

Not sure what you mean by manual, for the sim in general? yeah maybe some pointers on the mission editor etc.. etc.. sure, but that hasn't changed much in use over years.

as for modules each one has it's own manual found here **driveofchoice:\DCS World*version of chioice*\Mods\aircraft\**Aircraftofchoicename**\Doc\*aircraftofchoice.pdf*

which usually get updated if / when the module does

Then there's also Charly Owl's guides which are an absolute must have just for the sheer quality of them alone, even if you don't have a module they are worth the read :D https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=135765

and if you really want to get deeper knowledge you can always source the real NATOPS and aircraft manuals

Edited by Dingo_Bob

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Modules are like Pokemon you gotta catch 'em all :joystick::lol::pilotfly:

AMD Ryzen7 3700x, G-Skills 32Gb RAM @ 3200Mhz, MSI GTX1080Ti, TM Warthog (20cm extension by Sahaj), MFG Crosswind Pedals, Oculus Rift, Track Ir5

The Manual I'm talking about is the user manual for DCS World. It explains how all the functions of the basic program work including Options, Mission Editor, etc. I'm sure that functionally not much has changed, however, the manual was written to a much earlier version of DCS World and a significant number of format changes have occurred so pictures used in descriptions no longer match what they are trying to explain... The same document is used for both DCS World 1.5 and DCS World 2.0. So... Can I figure it out? Yes. Is it a pain in the ass? Yes. Is it a priority? No, not if it means a delay in game content or DCS World 2.5. My point in bringing it up was to find out if an updated version is in-work or already out. I can usually find what I need by muddling through the existing manual or by watching a YouTube video on the subject. I would describe myself as an experienced flyer but relatively new to DCS World... Not quite a year. So when you say not much has changed... New-bee's are the programs lifeblood. We should be making it easy for folks to learn. I think that is happening... YouTube and individual aircraft manuals etc. Plus this forum is also helpful. I'm just suggesting an improvement. Love the program.

Bonz...

P.S. I have all the aircraft manuals with the possible exception of the AV-8B. The ones I've used so far are good, very helpful.

Edited by Bonz

The Manual I'm talking about is the user manual for DCS World. It explains how all the functions of the basic program work including Options, Mission Editor, etc. I'm sure that functionally not much has changed, however, the manual was written to a much earlier version of DCS World and a significant number of format changes have occurred so pictures used in descriptions no longer match what they are trying to explain... The same document is used for both DCS World 1.5 and DCS World 2.0. So... Can I figure it out? Yes. Is it a pain in the ass? Yes. Is it a priority? No, not if it means a delay in game content or DCS World 2.5. My point in bringing it up was to find out if an updated version is in-work or already out. I can usually find what I need by muddling through the existing manual or by watching a YouTube video on the subject. I would describe myself as an experienced flyer but relatively new to DCS World... Not quite a year. So when you say not much has changed... New-bee's are the programs lifeblood. We should be making it easy for folks to learn. I think that is happening... YouTube and individual aircraft manuals etc. Plus this forum is also helpful. I'm just suggesting an improvement. Love the program.

Bonz...

P.S. I have all the aircraft manuals with the possible exception of the AV-8B. The ones I've used so far are good, very helpful.

+1

I don't need no stinkin' GPS! (except for PGMs :D) :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team

DCS World\Doc

Will probably get updated after 2.5 when most of the significant changes have taken place. It is not a small job, as it also has to be translated to other languages.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 3 weeks later...

New DCS World manual would be awesome

Well that saves me asking my question now..

:)

:: 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900K :: Asus ROG Strix Z790-A mobo :: Asus Tuff Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 Ti :: NZXT Kraken Elite 280 RGB AIO white cooler :: G Skill Trident Z Royals DDR4 4x16GB = 64GB :: WD Black SN 850X NVMe SSD 2TB M.2 (C Drive) :: Samsung 860 Pro 2TB SATA (D Drive) :: Corsair Crystal 680X White Case :: Asus XG349C 34" Curve G-Sync 180Hz 3440x1440 Mon :: Corsair 850W PSU :: Virpil Constellation Alpha-R Stick with VPC WarBRD Base :: Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle :: 3 x CubeSim ext mini screens with TM Cougar MFD Bezels :: Asus ROG Pugio 503 Gaming Mouse & Razer BlackWidow mech kb :: TrackIR 5 Pro & Cap Clip :: Win 11 64 Bit 😉