Targetting and Mavs

Fanatic

so i'll attach some screenshots to hopefully better explain what i'm talking about. is this behavior observed by anyone else?

1) here i've slewed the mav seeker to the laser-designated target. i'm pressing TDC action now and it won't lock on, no matter how close i get

[ATTACH]174618[/ATTACH]

2) now i slew just ever so slightly to the left off of the target

[ATTACH]174622[/ATTACH]

3) finally, i slew just a pinch back to the right over the target and it auto-locks on (i didn't press TDC action)

[ATTACH]174623[/ATTACH]

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

so i'll attach some screenshots to hopefully better explain what i'm talking about. is this behavior observed by anyone else?

1) here i've slewed the mav seeker to the laser-designated target. i'm pressing TDC action now and it won't lock on, no matter how close i get

[ATTACH]174618[/ATTACH]

2) now i slew just ever so slightly to the left off of the target

[ATTACH]174622[/ATTACH]

3) finally, i slew just a pinch back to the right over the target and it auto-locks on (i didn't press TDC action)

[ATTACH]174623[/ATTACH]

It does that for me too. Sometimes I can get it to work properly others not. I think it's a little buggy.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It does that for me too. Sometimes I can get it to work properly others not. I think it's a little buggy.

ok. if it's buggy, or still a WIP thats one thing. but if it's working properly and i'm just struggling then thats a whole other ball game! :P

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

i utilize the same procedures discussed above but have also noticed some inconsistency with using TDC action to lock the Mav. Often my Mav will not auto lock so i use TDC action to force it.... the problem I have encountered is that sometimes using TDC action will cause the mav targeting to totally jump out of place and ground stabilize in an area off my target thus ruining the shot.

anyone else have this happen?

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

i utilize the same procedures discussed above but have also noticed some inconsistency with using TDC action to lock the Mav. Often my Mav will not auto lock so i use TDC action to force it.... the problem I have encountered is that sometimes using TDC action will cause the mav targeting to totally jump out of place and ground stabilize in an area off my target thus ruining the shot.

anyone else have this happen?

I have this same problem too. Either the 3 of us don't know what we are doing or it is buggy sometimes : )

I'm going to practice some more now and see if I can get it to work consistently.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have this same problem too. Either the 3 of us don't know what we are doing or it is buggy sometimes : )

I'm going to practice some more now and see if I can get it to work consistently.

same here! only thing consistent is when i utilize my "scoot left then back right again" technique. i can get a lock at almost 10nm this way consistently, but only if the target is isolated.

\Often my Mav will not auto lock so i use TDC action to force it.... the problem I have encountered is that sometimes using TDC action will cause the mav targeting to totally jump out of place and ground stabilize in an area off my target thus ruining the shot.

Gawd, I'm not the only one.... this is driving me nuts. I'll give up on Mav training until another patch/push... I'm losing my mind... :)

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I am having the same problems.joystick.gif

Same problem for me.:(

MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - Intel I7 4790K - Artic cooling freezer 7 pro rev 2 - GSKILL 32 Go - SSD Crucial M5 120 go - SSD Crucial 2To - HDD western digital caviar blue 1 TO - Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming G1 - Windows 10 home 64 bits

steps i take:

1) slew DMT cursor to my target and lock it into place

2) uncage mav, allowing the seeker to slew to my DMT cursor right on the target

3) press sensor select up to select the mav as the main sensor

4) so now the mav seeker is RIGHT on top of my target, but it won't lock. i have to quickly just tap slew left or slew right to "wiggle" the seeker, and then hope it snaps back into target lock on my actual target. however if there are multiple vehicles in close proximity, it will usually snap to another one...this is where the frustration occurs

any help is much appreciated!

to make sure I've go this right, "3) press sensor select up to select the mav as the main sensor". This is TMS UP?

I manage via the DMT to get a AFV target. I uncage the Mav, I see it slew over. But for the life of me, I can't get a lock to fire. I've hit action multiple times, nada... So after the DMT (right screen) I have the target. Uncage, let the Mav slew over. Then TMS UP. wiggle the DMS left/right (if the Action ain't locking)?

Edit:

got it... once I understood how to get back to the Mav being the SOI, I was able to fire off a Mav. I had to "wiggle" the slew a bit, and it locked on. took out 2 AFV's. feeling better now... :-)

Edited by javelina1

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

to make sure I've go this right, "3) press sensor select up to select the mav as the main sensor". This is TMS UP?

I manage via the DMT to get a AFV target. I uncage the Mav, I see it slew over. But for the life of me, I can't get a lock to fire. I've hit action multiple times, nada... So after the DMT (right screen) I have the target. Uncage, let the Mav slew over. Then TMS UP. wiggle the DMS left/right (if the Action ain't locking)?

Edit:

got it... once I understood how to get back to the Mav being the SOI, I was able to fire off a Mav. I had to "wiggle" the slew a bit, and it locked on. took out 2 AFV's. feeling better now... :-)

glad my technique worked :)

yeah its funky but it can work

• Like 1

glad my technique worked :)

yeah its funky but it can work

Indeed. thanks buddy. :thumbup:

I still believe there may be a bug there. The sensor should auto lock on to the target when its in range. You shouldn't have to wiggle the mav seeker around to get it to lock the target. I have no expertise or knowledge about this but it seems counter intuitive. And cumbersome for a dedicated Attack aircraft.

I still believe there may be a bug there. The sensor should auto lock on to the target when its in range. You shouldn't have to wiggle the mav seeker around to get it to lock the target. I have no expertise or knowledge about this but it seems counter intuitive. And cumbersome for a dedicated Attack aircraft.

oh yeah, i totally agree. in my mind i've just chalked it up to a "feature" of the alpha state. would be cool to find out for sure though

I'm sure it's just a bug and will be fixed/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Woot! I went 3 for 4, with the Mav "D's". Took out 3x T-72's. The fourth, I was about 3 miles away, and 8K altitude when I fired. Though I had a lock, it missed... Must have been too difficult of solution.

But to cap it off, I was almost bingo when I connected up with the S-3. Managed to take 3,000 lbs just fine and then got a little jittery... Not wanting to accept that, I went for another go and made contact again. Took a full complement of fuel... nice.... Made it to the home base with plenty of stories to share with the rounds I bought...

No need to "wiggle" the targeting gate..

Assign a button, or key, to "TDC Down (Action)", but do not choose the "toggle" variant.

Then...

+ Move DMT gate over the target in TV mode.

+ Uncage AGM-65 (Mav video appears) - the AGM target gate is now slewed to the point where the DMT is locked.

+ Press "TDC Down (Action)" and the Mav gate collapses on the target and is now locked.

+ Fire.

The "TDC Down (Action)" can also be used to ground stabilise the Mav seeker if used without the DMT.

Edited by fjacobsen

i7-10700K 3.8-5.1Ghz, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 12GB, 1 x 1 TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD2 TB,  1 x 2 TBHDD 7200 RPM, Win10 Home 64bit, Meta Quest 3.