2.5 Upgrade path

hollow

I seem to remember that one of the developers or admins once said, they want to make the shift to 2.5 as uncomplicated and sober as possible and I guess that DCS 2.1 already has the technical features to become 2.5. Makes more sense to me to just put the new caucasus map and all related content into 2.1 and finally call it 2.5.

Obviously I simplified a bit.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gainward RTX 2080 OC | i7 8700K OC | 32GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4 3600 MHz | MSI Z370-A PRO | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB

I seem to remember that one of the developers or admins once said, they want to make the shift to 2.5 as uncomplicated and sober as possible and I guess that DCS 2.1 already has the technical features to become 2.5. Makes more sense to me to just put the new caucasus map and all related content into 2.1 and finally call it 2.5.

Obviously I simplified a bit.

Simplified but logical at the same time.

Thought I'd read recently that it was 1.5 that would be upgraded, but I assume they mean the 1.5beta.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Ignore the numbers and think of your installations as "Live", "Beta", and "Alpha"...

My bet is they update "Live" to 2.5, copying the appropriate files from "Alpha" and "Beta" to save bandwidth, just as they do now...

Could we please get an official word regarding this? I'd like to reinstall DCS and save some bandwith as soon as 2.5 is live.

The upgrade path will eventually make it to the current 'release' path. They might first release it to the Alpha branch, or they could put it out onto the Beta branch. Either way, eventually, it will make it's way to the Release branch.

However, given the broad scope of the update, I would do a complete new install when it makes it to the Release branch. It may, or may not, be required but I suspect that it will be a good idea.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

The upgrade path will eventually make it to the current 'release' path. They might first release it to the Alpha branch, or they could put it out onto the Beta branch. Either way, eventually, it will make it's way to the Release branch.

However, given the broad scope of the update, I would do a complete new install when it makes it to the Release branch. It may, or may not, be required but I suspect that it will be a good idea.

All that you say makes me wonder if they will launch 2.5 as a non-complete version, having us wait for the full thing :(

• ED Team

Once the 2.5 upgrade path option is final, and we decide exactly what will happen with the current installation option, we will certainly relay this to you all in a very public way.

We feel it vital that the 2.5 launch be very smooth and without confusion and surprises.

Thanks

Once the 2.5 upgrade path option is final, and we decide exactly what will happen with the current installation option, we will certainly relay this to you all in a very public way.

We feel it vital that the 2.5 launch be very smooth and without confusion and surprises.

Thanks

Thanks for taking the time to say this :)

Thanks

:thumbup:

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X | i7 9700K@5.0GHz | Asus TUF OC RTX 4090 | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | HP Reverb G2 | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Croswinds

Maybe a program could be created for those who simply wish to move to the newest 2.5 without holding on to the older stuff (except if you're modding) by archiving all the logs, putting them in a self place, reminding the user of the list of activated products, prompt and executing the deactivations one by one (by just running the protect.exe) and then running the uninstallers, and even additonal cleanup that may not be part of the old uninstallers.

But maybe this could be something community could do so ED doesn't waste time. If the new thing will be really that of a big deal under the hood, but hey even if you can mash things together, which I know you can, it still feels better fresh and clean.

I hope filestructure gets an update, I made a thread about it, I realized the separation is because of AI cockpits and external vs internal materials, but there's some things that are old and not all same type things are at the same place.

I'm moving to a 250GB medium-end SSD (but as far as read speeds go it's going to be just fine) for my Windows 10 installation for all things DCS (which I need to redo for othe reasons too), so it'll be all fresh and speedy in a few weeks.

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

Thanks

I'm good whatever method you guys choose. *BUT*, can future updates *not* add very USB (button boxes) controller to pitch/rudder/axis?

I keep having to overwrite the input folders because of it.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Upgrading the Alpha build with new map and game version would be logical as a first step I think. Converting the alpha to Open beta and getting rid of the Alpha build altogether would be second step.

Once you are sure that everything works as it should you can move it to the stable version. All new maps could be then released in Open beta first and then moved to Stable when ready.

No need for Alpha branch at that point as maps would be released as early access beta too I suppose.

Do, or do not, there is no try.

--------------------------------------------------------

Sapphire Nitro+ Rx Vega 64, i7 4790K ... etc. etc.

Thanks

Thanks Matt. We'll looking forward! :D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Thanks

Please add 2 desktop shortcuts to start the DCS with VR or without VR. For example I do not need VR for mission editing.

[CENTER]

Signum_Signatur.png

[/CENTER]

Please add 2 desktop shortcuts to start the DCS with VR or without VR. For example I do not need VR for mission editing.

Just use one of launching/updating programs that already offers this option...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Easy enough to do on your own.

See section 4

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2746202&postcount=1

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1