Mi-8 disintegrates when rope tightens on slingloading Small Pipes

SnorreSelmer

Situation:

• Mi-8 with 50% fuel, no extra armour, hardpoints or IR suppressors.
  • Cargo/Pipes small (4350kg)
  • 20m slingload rope
  • Climb once hooked, no more than 1m/sec.

As soon as the rope tightens, the tailboom breaks off.

ASUS Z170-P w/ Intel i7-7700, 32GB DDR4 RAM, SSDs out the wazoo and a GTX 1080Ti,

Oculus Rift CV1, TM Warthog stick and throttle, TM Cougar MFDs, MFG Crosswind pedals and WheelStandPro Warthog (w/ the custom small Warthog plate)

Former F-16 Ground Crew @ RNoAF

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The maximum slingload weight is 3000 kilo and that's doable on a good day, no wind and at sea-level. I think you overstressed that airframe and it simply collapsed.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo

The maximum slingload weight is 3000 kilo and that's doable on a good day, no wind and at sea-level. I think you overstressed that airframe and it simply collapsed.

So what good are the cargos with weights above the limit that aren't adjustable? Such as the cargo in the OP?

I too experienced tailboom separation with the the small pipes a few days ago. I used a bare bones Mi-8, I carried the pipes to the top of the mountain, I set them down, as soon as I released the load the tail removed itself from the helicopter and I augered into the mountain.

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

Even if that was the case, the sling assembly would be the first thing to go, not the tailboom.

There is still something wonky going on with sling modelling vs. FM/DM, similar issue was reported, with relevant youtube example vid here:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=195399

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Even if that was the case, the sling assembly would be the first thing to go, not the tailboom.

There is still something wonky going on with sling modelling vs. FM/DM, similar issue was reported, with relevant youtube example vid here:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=195399

I agree that something is amiss with slingloading, especially why heavier weight cargoes are implemented but cannot be lifted :).

I don't think the damage model foresees the misuse of slingloading and the application of damage to the airframe, perhaps that is te reason the tailboom comes off?

When slingloading first was released, I had an incident where the whole helicopter would simply blow-up if you pulled too much power from the engines, no warning, just boom.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo

Came across an interesting snippet in the russian part of the forums:

I tried to lift the load on the Mi-8, the tail beam breaks off at a vertical speed of less than 0.5 m / s, although it was normal under the same conditions.

On p. 300-301 the problem was raised. While Omen advised to do so:

A bug with a beam can be temporarily corrected as follows. The folder with the game \ Mods \ aircraft \ Mi-8MTV2 \ FM \ FMOptions.lua. TailSharpNegNyLim = -3 this is changed to TailSharpNegNyLim = -1000000. It probably will not work with integraty check on the network.

I did it, it helps. Works in multiplayer.

Also, apparently, the MTV-2 is equipped with different types of cargo hooks:

If the lock DG-65 is installed, then it allows you to carry cargoes with a weight of up to 12,000 kg. In this case, the weight of the suspension is not limited by a lock, but constructively, no more than -5000 kg.

The lock is made for DG-64M. Up to 3000 kg is a limitation, but each lock has a safety margin, at least double, and it should not break with weight over 3000 kg.

In any case, we do not have such a breakdown of the castle.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]