Shall I upgrade ?

I have money to spend that I cant cash in, only hardware parts allowed. ..and yes..my wife looked very angry when I told her how I got/will get payed.

My options are:

CPU+RAM+MOBO for my son, plus my 980GTX as I will then grab a 1080Ti and keep my 5G 7700k with this inferior Chipset with far too few lanes.

---OR---

He will get my guts, CPU-RAM-MOBO-GPU and I then need to buy a new rig for me.

I am not gonna buy Intel, neither way, my son's CPU would be a 1600X, mine would be a Threadripper, actually I would like the 1900 but then everybody will ask me why a TR and then only opt for 8 cores. Answer is " I dont know what to do with all those cores ! ".

Looking at the boards available makes me mad, all Asus are E-ATX but my poor tower ( already DIY modded to accept E-ATX till 272mm, and not 1mm more ) wont fit the board.

My list would look like this, if that much is possible with this "special stupid" deal:

Asus Zenith, 32GB-3200CL14, 1900X or 1920X or even 1950X + a nice Tower. Phantek's Primo series with tempered glass looks nice, I havent found another one that I like and accepts EATX as well. I would love the Evolv, best looking case ever made imho ( Design stolen from Apple, who stole it from Telefunken in the 70's and 80's, yeah... ).

I would likely not OC the TR, as it would not XFR if not on Auto and I rather take 2cores at 4.1-4.2 and all others at 3.7 or 3.8 than all on 4.0 for DCS. Games that leverage all cores will not need any OC at all, with 8-16 to tab.

Thing is, I would rather have the money, my youngest son is 7 weeks old and the least I need is a Über-Machine. I have such little time to game or fly these days that I cannot justify it against myself but it is like it is and I have to accept HW or nada..so I need to find a solution that puts my gaming and computing excperience into a better and not lesser experience.

Sure, who wouldnt like a1950X-Zenith combo plus a 1080Ti to fiddle with, I just hope I can still buy all those shoes and stuff the family needs or I end up selling that beast LoL.

I will decide next few days but hear what you say. Maybe someone with a 1950X and 1080Ti can assure me I wont end up with 75fps max and stutter WAAHAAAA.

I wont have any money for NVMe right away, I will have to use my 3 SSD's and all the rest but the Case obviously.

There are other nice TR boards but none comes close to this Asus ROG Zenith Extreme. Gbit Intel + 10G Nic, Wireless-AD_MU-MIMO and some other goodies. Those I found nowhere else.

Gigabyte has 2 nice boards in ATX but the network sux and they use SoundBlaster chips for sound, eeehhhhh...NO ! That was the game breaker for Gigabyte and me.

Since I am also moving into a bigger home soon ( after XMas ) I would like to get this all done before Xmas as I wont have any time from Xmas till March '18 or so to fiddle my own HW crap.

The 1900x looks real nice, 3.8 on all cores default, 4.2 XFR...nice. The saved money I could put in 2 256GB 960 SSD's and make use of those LANES ;).

I am not sure at all what to do with this option.

tell me what you think

Edited by BitMaster

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello BitMaster,

I do not know all the hardware items you are talking about and I am not knowledgeable enough to help. Sorry.

But you've been very helpful to many of us here, so I hope all will be fine for the upgrade or whatever you decide, for you and for your son!

Good luck mate ;)

- Tony -

. My Reviews: Oilfield Campaign - Argo Campaign l My Mission: Huey Ramp Start Voice-Over New!

. Microsoft Force Feedback 2 base modded with a CH Fighterstick - VKB Sim T-Rudder Mk.IV Pedals

. Intel i5 4670K @4.3 GHz - 32 Gb DDR3 - MSI GTX 1080 - ASUS PG278QR 27" 2K @165 Hz G-Sync

Ahhh, oh man !

Looking at those pages and trying to find a solution, actually I am quite happy with my rig and dont wanna change my FPS-Ripper vs. a Threadripper that may suck at FPS with a 1080Ti.

This ...ahem..Intel 8700k ...does also look great, tho it is high in price vs. AMD's 6-core models but packs that extra punsh beyond the 4G barrier. I am really torn, my heart says AMD but my logic says "STAY WITH INTEL, YOU LOVE FPS"..more than I do love 6 Virtual Machines side by side just for fun. I can run 3 VM's on 3 SSDs quite well, done that last night and upgraded all 3 OS's same time, the only lag was my WLAN RDP from Mac ( in bed ) to my 7700K pulling 2 x 10 Fall Upgrade and 1 x Ubuntu pulling 17.10 over 17.04 all same time, heck...my WLAN kicked me every other minute till the DL's were done, but I would be more than happy with only 2 more cores and a better WLAN.

For 16 Cores and VMware to make sense I would need 64GB or 128GB RAM to make it usefull, but I aint got that need, nor the money.

Either way, my oldest son gets my gaming rig and he's more than happy about it, for DOTA-2 :cry:

With this 8700k and its ATX board I may get the only thing I actually want, just for the looks, Phantek's Evolv tempered Glass Edition, that thing looks just awesome, I want that over any NVMe :smilewink:

If I had to build a WS for VMware, HyperV or Handbrake, Adobe etc.., no doubt, Threadripper and LANES LANES LANES for throughput.but I..I want FRAMES, FAST, SYNCED, STEADY...a simple No-BS Gaming Rig that

runs as good as this one but 2 more cores and a SINGLE 1080Ti, ...not the lanes and no 2nd GPU anymore. I rather put that money in Noctua Fans all over, a nice new Pump and Res for my Mo-Ra3 and some other more useful things than a 2nd GPU for DCS.

Now I got this AMD vs Intel in my own head...for 3 days now :wacko:

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I have money to spend that I cant cash in, only hardware parts allowed. ..and yes..my wife looked very angry when I told her how I got/will get payed.

Bit, you should go easy with your wife, she could decide to get a horse :unsure: or 2.

Attache ta tuque avec d'la broche.

If DCS is the primary (or any-most- games) core speed is king, right? That would tilt towards 8700K. But if it's general purpose/work then gaming rig, AMD is probably a better bang for buck, or Euro! :) But agree with Simicro, you're very helpful so hope you settle the internal debate soon and tell us about it. Can't wait.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Glass = heat mate, and who looks anyway :) its just easier to spot the dust!!!!

Best case manufacturer bar non IMHO

http://www.coolermaster.com/case/full-tower/cosmos-c700p/

Better than glass and RGB ready for all your pimping needs

Every PC I have built over the years has had CM cases, my last one was a Cosmos S. Mobo tray makes tinkering a doddle :)

Also Lars, new architechture will be coming next, Intel have taken this CPU as far as it will go with Coffeelake. Wait for SandyOceanX :D

Edited by Cibit

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Bit, you should go easy with your wife, she could decide to get a horse :unsure: or 2.

She got my MacBookPro retina 15" during that deal.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

"AND what do I get?"....best thing in reach I could grab was my Mac, IT WORKED :D

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

You gotta love them or shoot them :music_whistling:

Give your son your system, complete. With the money you are getting ( how did you get into that situation?) purchase the most valuable, most sought after parts available. Then sell too someone you have already lined up and asked what they would want. Your wife will be happy.

Since you will not be able to game anyway and by the time you are ready to build your dream machine everything will be a newer generation. You will be sure to not get into the same situation and will have saved enough to get the fast drives..fast cpu, bigger case...maybe a server motherboard.. two cpu's .many pci-e lanes...large memory, ready to run a ton of vm and source a fun server. \

Get two 1080ti's for the server MB..it will more than handle those and put too use all the extra muscle and lanes.

Laz

Looked at them, but they sport far too much AIO or inside-DIY Loop stuff...and are very expensive.

My approach is a clean inside, with the least amount of DIY parts inside the case. I use Koolance QC everywhere as well.

Money is not "not an issue", THAT will never happen in my life I bet :cry:

I saw that Asus will release a Formula board for Z370, also in ATX this time. I really like the idea of a watercooled CPU-VRAM-GPU. That board will also fit the Evolv Tower ;)...which is less than half the price as well as the link above. They do look good and great, no doubt. I will keep a link, never saw them before tbh.

Looks like 8700K, Asus board, likely Formula, keep my DDR4 kit from sig but get me a NVMe in addition plus the 1080Ti Poseidon.

my new build was:

8700k @ 4.9Ghz

NZXT Kraken x62 AIO cooler

Z370 Gigabyte Aouris Gaming ultra

32G Corsair 3866Mhz RAM

1080TI Zotac AMP

1TB M.2 samsung polaris

1TB Samsung Evo 850

2TB WB black stoarge

1TB Samsung storage

850W Corsair PSU

Corsair 750D Airflow case

and it is damn quiet and fast

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests

My options are:

tell me what you think

Dude, she is angry because she is not buying your explanation. And frankly I'm not buying it either - "I can only be paid in parts" sounds very improbable. even if this is the case parts can be always liquidated. Specs in your signature are very adequate to say the least, at this point keeping your wife less angry will be a way better upgrade then anything. You know how they say "happy wife - better overclock on your CPU"

My two cents.

Anton.

My pit build thread .

Simple and cheap UFC project

Nahh, she knows why and how, it's all OK. She got the Mac and I will in addition buy a small Asus 15" for her sister who went back to school, I am gonna finance this with 50% and the other 50% are her Xmas gift. That helped a lot.

I cannot write a bill for that work..ehh...yeah..I knew before I started the job.

Anyway, I think I made the final list. The prices for 8700k differ up to 70€ deopending where you order, same have sales etc..

List for CaseKing.de:

i7-8700K 429,90€

Asus Maximus X Formula Z370 469,-€

Der 8auer Delid-Tool+Silicon+Kyronaut+Liq.Metall Kit 63,19€

Phantek Evolv tempered Glass, anthrazit 189,-€

List for Mindfactory.de:

Asus Poseidon 1080Ti 925,33€

Gskill 16MB Kit 2x8 3600/16-16-16-36 245,47€ ( for my old rig, I keep my own 32GB 3600/16 )

Samsung 960 Evo 250GB 116,05€ ( damn cheap !!, couldnt resist )

That, and the Asus P541UA-GQ1860T Notebook for 560,35€

Round about 3k€ incl. Notebook.

Mindfactory wants 499,- for the 8700k = saved 70 €with CaseKing

Caseking wants 1k for the Poseidon, saved another 75 by buying that at Mindfactory

same with RAM, 16GB 3600/16 are like 60€ cheaper at Mindfactory.

round about 200€ saved by just looking WHERE to order, that was my 960 Evo + the delid complete kit 4 free ;)

Will know on Monday if that is OK for the company to buy, they granted me ~3k today but wanted to see what I order...well, lets hope its OK .

Neither the CPU nor the board are in stock, the board hasnt even been released..LOL

Let's crack the 5.2, maybe 5.3G if I am real lucky with the Silicon Lottery.

Edited by BitMaster

Bit, bought a poseidon a while back. This is one very nice piece of hardware!

I have the 980GTX Poseidon and LOVE IT.

Tho I do like the FullCover better tbh, I am deciding against it ( Gigabyte Waterforce i.e. ) as I cant run that anywhere else, not even for 5min unless I loop it up. The Poseidon will take any sceanrio, air, water, or both. Much better if you sometimes dissamble things and need versatility over anything else.

It also fits the board better with colors and looks, Asus Aura compatible and integrated into Asus AI tools nicely.

5.3G...let's Rock'n'Roll

Caseking are pretty decent, as I am in the IT trade I have a wholesale account with them

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests

I am not into LED at all, I like it dark & silent, actually the opposite :)

But I will turn them ALL on for you and take a pic !

I am amazed that this NVMe 960evo-250GB sells for 116€, that's dirt cheap.

When that thing is up & running I will also get Normandy map, with my old 4GB VRAM that was a clear "dont even try" thing

Caseking are pretty decent, as I am in the IT trade I have a wholesale account with them

This client who pays is a Parity Org. handicapped people etc.. They usually get even better discounts.

For a Dell Srv, count ~40% OFF !!!! Suddenly a 20k server is only 14k...ooops :)

I just dunno yet if they, Mindfactory and CaseKing, honor Parity Orgs with reduced prices.

Might well be I get 10 or 20% off, will check once I have the final "hit the button" OK.

Looked at them, but they sport far too much AIO or inside-DIY Loop stuff...and are very expensive.

My approach is a clean inside, with the least amount of DIY parts inside the case. I use Koolance QC everywhere as well.

Money is not "not an issue", THAT will never happen in my life I bet :cry:

I saw that Asus will release a Formula board for Z370, also in ATX this time. I really like the idea of a watercooled CPU-VRAM-GPU. That board will also fit the Evolv Tower ;)...which is less than half the price as well as the link above. They do look good and great, no doubt. I will keep a link, never saw them before tbh.

Looks like 8700K, Asus board, likely Formula, keep my DDR4 kit from sig but get me a NVMe in addition plus the 1080Ti Poseidon.

Bit, I am going to replace my dinosaur of a rig with a 8700K but I am waiting for Asus to release the Code and Formula to decide on which mobo to get. I have everything else on-hand and also recently purchased from EK the P360 kit to do my first custom water cooling loop. I have also purchased a GPU block. I'm just not sure if I should plump the extra cash on the formula and do the loop with mobo VRM, CPU and GPU. The fact I have a 360 rad water lop means there is absolutely no point cooling just the CPU with it. Has to be at least CPU and GPU combo and perhaps the mobo. Anyway I will be building hopefully around Christmas. I just can't see the need for the loads of PCI-E lanes with my PC usage. So yeah Z370 mainstream for me. Good luck with your decision.

Intel i7-8700K | Asus Maximus X Formula | Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Gainward Phoenix GTX1070 GLH | Samsung 960 EVO NVMe 1 x 250GB OS & 1 x 500GB Games | Corsair RM750x 750W | Corsair Carbide Air 540| Win10 | Dell 27" 1440p 60Hz | Custom water loop: CPU EK-Supremacy EVO, GPU EK-GTX JetStream - Acetal+Nickel & Backplate, Radiator EK-Coolstream PE 360, Pump & Res EK-XRES 140 Revo D5, Fans 3 x EK-Vardar 120mm & 2 x Corsair ML140 140mm

This is quite big, Corsair Obsidian 900D, but I don't regret buying it. It's the first build *ever* where I didn't get a cut/scratch on my hand! Plus I have a CPU AIO and Titan AIO so all the extra room was a nice luxury.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

My cart is ready to be ordered, Monday sometime. Those prices go up and down, the 1080Ti dropped 45€ from 11am to 7pm...LoL.

I always wanted wc-VRM-CPU-GPU and get rid off all those fans. With those 3 watercooled, a shallow airstream it all it still needs, but no hurrican needed anymore.

Yeah, I agree, the Z370 is a nice mainstream chipset, tho I wish te boards were cheaper and all already had 10G networks.

Hans, yes that Obsidian is nive but too big, I want it on my table ( no babies playing with the DP cable etc.. ). It's a nice tower, but also above the budget limit, the Evolv is my dream for 2 years now, and now the Formula is ATX and not EATX anymore and fits this case. I cant resist.

Anyway, got so little time to fly and play around, actually I could sell my gear for the next 2 years and become a 24/7 babysitter :helpsmilie: