Samsung Odyssey, first thoughts

Thick8

Good questions dburne.

There is a weakness in the tracking system. Because it uses cameras, therehas to be something on the walls for reference. Right now the wall I face and ceiling are just white. When I look up (60 deg+) the headset sometimes looses tracking. I’ll put up some pictures. So no gaming in the dark.

The sound is truly 360 positional and has good range and bass with no noticed distortion. Im not an audiophile but is just as good as my Turtle Beach 5.1 headset at the volume I listen at.

You can practically whisper to the microphone.

I’m still playing with the visual settings. I must be doing something wrong. The A-10c gauges and displays are clear and easy to read in 1.5, but with the same settings in 2.0 they are fuzzy and hard to read. I can’t clearly read the text on the MFCD no matter how close I get it in 2.0 yet In 1.5 I can read in clearly just by leaning forward about a foot. Any idea?

Many thanks for the feedback!

I think possibly for how I use my VR, this headset may not be so good for me, but will certainly keep up with comments on it - just have not seen that many yet to date.

Odd that you have that difference in seeing text between 2.1 and 1.5, not sure why that might be. I have heard the Odyssey has a smaller " sweet spot" for best image clarity, but that would not really explain the difference between the two versions of the game as you are seeing. Perhaps related to the lighting technique used in 2.1?

Great to hear they have done a good job on the audio!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I get a chance to go to the MS store, I'm going to try to remember to bring my DCS glasses. (my kid's old glasses - tiny but better for HMDs)

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Are there any glasses wearers among the Odyssey's owners here?

I'm pretty interested about that, comfort with glasses is one of the major reasons I never bought a Rift after trying it.

Thanks

There are good solutions for glasses wearers... instead of uncomfortably wearing your 'street glasses' you can have custom made prescription inserts that snap into your Rift and can easily be removed for non glasses wearers.

There are inexpensive semi-diy options using your prescription lens from these cheap 'Harry Potter' glasses and can print frames from Thingverse for them.

There is Widmovr that makes nicer versions (custom lenses vs Harry Potters) https://widmovr.com/product/oculus-rift-prescription-lenses-adapter/

The best solution though are these, which install separately on the lenses so adjust with ipd plus allow maximum eyelash clearance https://vr-lens.eu/oculus-rift-lens-inserts.html

VR-Lenslab also has similar offerings as well as glasses with a headstrap (no side arms), which are available in several lens shapes https://vr-lens-lab.com/ (I've seen some complaints about optics quality with these, not sure if addressed yet)

Glasses wearers might want to bookmark those links, as there are/will be prescription lens adapters for other headsets and it might be relevant to your interests.

I have the VR lens ones, but the problem is that I share the Rift. So turns out, the VR-lens stuff is too much of a bother. And over time, it won't stay as it "digs" into the foam to do its job.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I wear glasses. I tried VR with them on last night and was surprised by the difference. They fit well in the headset probably because they are rimless and extremely light weight (2.5 grams). They have a patented superwide progressive band and are also blue blocker.

With them on I found that the sweet spot grew to cover about half the FOV and God days were considerably less. Maybe is the blue blocker feature or that the overall lens configuration is more like the OSVR lens that is supposed to be a superior lens. Does anyone else notice this when wearing glasses?

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

There are good solutions for glasses wearers... instead of uncomfortably wearing your 'street glasses' you can have custom made prescription inserts that snap into your Rift and can easily be removed for non glasses wearers.

I know there are solutions, and I also considered them for the Rift.

I'm wearing rather expensive prescription lenses because I work all time on computer screens, and I don't want to use cheap lenses for flying nor pay the price for a second pair of lenses, just for VR.

I can't wear contacts either, they suck my eyes dry.

I'm just asking if the Odyssey's design includes sufficient room to accomodate for glasses, that's all. I consider that to be mandatory for any VR headset to be adopted by the masses, because I doubt that more than a small percentage of glasses wearers are willing to go through the hassles of making a custom pair just for that.

Measurements would be even better, if someone can get some numbers that'd be great.

Cheers,

P

I wear glasses. I tried VR with them on last night and was surprised by the difference. They fit well in the headset probably because they are rimless and extremely light weight (2.5 grams). They have a patented superwide progressive band and are also blue blocker.

With them on I found that the sweet spot grew to cover about half the FOV and God days were considerably less. Maybe is the blue blocker feature or that the overall lens configuration is more like the OSVR lens that is supposed to be a superior lens. Does anyone else notice this when wearing glasses?

Thanks for the info, may I ask what is the size of your glasses ?

I'm due for a glasses change soon so I'll take the size into account when selecting the frame.

Thanks 8)

Well I was finally able to pry myself away from the Odyssey long enough to upload a video.

This is just a quick video showing off the tracking quality of the Windows Mixed Reality HMD. This was recorded from the preview shown on the 2D monitor. It is lower quality and frame rate than what is seen in the HMD. It also looks a little jumpy, that was NOT the case in the VR headset, it is very smooth and accurate.

This is running on an i5-3570 at 4.1 Ghz with 16GB DDR3, and a GTX 970. This quickstart mission ran mostly at 45-60 fps jumping to 90 every now and then (only when looking straight up). This isn't my computer, my i7 920 is too old and won't even run Windows MR, so time to upgrade. I didn't have rudder pedals and was on a cheap joystick with unfamiliar controls mapped, so cut me some slack on the flying.

The VR headset has a better quality picture and better tracking than the Rift. As you can see, I can look in any direction and still move around positionally without worry of staying in view of a camera.

Spotting is better than the Rift, I can see my AIM 120s all the way until they hit the target. With the Rift in the A-10C Hard Quickstart (1.5) I can barely make out the trucks at the first waypoint and can't see the AAA. In the Odyssey, I can see the trucks no problem and barely make out the 2 AAA encampments next to them.

Huds are clear but some gauges and MFCD text require a little leaning in. I may still return it and wait for the other Gen 1.5/2.0 offerings that are launching soon. I like the sound of the Pimax's 200 degree FOV With dual 4K screens but their costs won't even be close.

Yes. I’ve used Helios so long I don’t remember how to display all the knee pad info.

Did you find a way to turn off the screen mirroring? I’ve read that disabling it can improve frame rate. I’ve turned it off in WMR and SVR but can’t turn it off in OVR because I can’t access hardware setting because I don’t have a Rift attached to the computer.

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

After reading all the pages it sounds like it's not worth the upgrade from Rift and to wait for the proper 2nd generation versions to come out? It should be a lot better for me to upgrade, not just a little.

That is the impression I am getting from reading different forums.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

That is the impression I am getting from reading different forums.
Me too.. gonne wait for a better vr,

next 1ste hopefully better vr is pimax 8k i think?

or is there an other in the make that i dont know about?

----------------------------------------------------------

i7 2600K oc 4.7g / asus gtx 1080 gaming x+ / 16gig ram / ssd 500gig / oculus rift / jetseat se / saitek rudder ((next upgrade)mfg crosswind) / logitech warthog hotas + 20cm extention

It made sense for me as I passed on the rift and vive. I intend to upgrade when the tech gets better. I am hopeful for the Pimax but will probably wait for one of the big players to come out with a significant upgrade.

So I needed to add an update since my last one.

Friday night when I got home there were 3 or 4 Windows updates that had to be run. This was not good. Since I ran those, the Odessay tracking has been bad. Not sure if it was the updates or something else but the timing sure makes me think it was that. It jerks and chugs all over the place. The picture is still better but the tracking became horrible after the updates. :crash:

Also, at the time of my review I had only done DCS and some race sims, but not any other games, specifically ones using the Odessey controllers. I will have to say I am not a big fan of those. I constantly lose track them or they just seem to go to random places on their own.

Pretty pissed with steam (as usual) too. They make MMR headsets compatible with steam apps, but not the controllers. One game I have from steam will not let me use it because my controllers are not "compatible". Now I am not sure If I will keep the Odessey. If I cannot get the tracking to go back to how it was when I first set it up I just can't see keeping it. Geez! I hate windows updates!

Black Friday deal on the Samsung Odyssey ($50 off)! Just bought mine on Sunday and it's being delivered Wednesday with the free shipping. I haven't used any VR system before, this will be my first. After all these comments on it, I can't wait to try it out!

i7-7700k OC'd to 5.0 GHz, ASUS 1080ti OC, 32 GB 3200 MHz G.Skill, Samsung 960 pro M.2, Thrustmaster Warthog, Saitek pedals, Valve Index HMD

So I needed to add an update since my last one.

Friday night when I got home there were 3 or 4 Windows updates that had to be run. This was not good. Since I ran those, the Odessay tracking has been bad. Not sure if it was the updates or something else but the timing sure makes me think it was that. It jerks and chugs all over the place. The picture is still better but the tracking became horrible after the updates. :crash:

Also, at the time of my review I had only done DCS and some race sims, but not any other games, specifically ones using the Odessey controllers. I will have to say I am not a big fan of those. I constantly lose track them or they just seem to go to random places on their own.

Pretty pissed with steam (as usual) too. They make MMR headsets compatible with steam apps, but not the controllers. One game I have from steam will not let me use it because my controllers are not "compatible". Now I am not sure If I will keep the Odessey. If I cannot get the tracking to go back to how it was when I first set it up I just can't see keeping it. Geez! I hate windows updates!

Pretty sure you can revert the windows updates. Can be done from the settings>updates or something like that. I've done it once before, but who knows with windows 10 these days.

5800X3d, 32GB DDR4@3400, 6800 xt, Reverb G2, Gunfighter/TMWH

Black Friday deal on the Samsung Odyssey ($50 off)! Just bought mine on Sunday and it's being delivered Wednesday with the free shipping. I haven't used any VR system before, this will be my first. After all these comments on it, I can't wait to try it out!

Great Speedywrx!!!

Regardless of all the pros and cons we all have been talking about, it's VR. It's still leaps and bounds better than a 2d monitor. People who say they will wait until 2nd gen or that VR isn't that great most likely have never used VR or used it for 2 seconds, said they didn't like and think they know everything there is to know about VR now.

I always hear DCS VR users say they just can't ever go back to monitors. But I have never heard someone say they went back to monitors after getting an HMD. Maybe there is some out there like that but I have never heard from one.

I always hear DCS VR users say they just can't ever go back to monitors. But I have never heard someone say they went back to monitors after getting an HMD. Maybe there is some out there like that but I have never heard from one.

I hear that a lot. VR is based on real 3D subjective impression. You are blown away with that sens or reality and immersion but after while especially if you are flying in MP PvP missions especially WWII warbirds where you are depending on spotting enemies on time and read instruments VR could put you in huge disadvantage where you stop be competitive to monitor users.

Most of the people who use VR and playing PvP are using VR only in SP missions or MP COOP missions but not in PvP.

That is what I hope could change with WMR or even better with Pimax5 or 8K.

Off to MS store. I'll let you guys know. I knew I couldn't control myself....

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---