CombatFlite -- a flight planning tool

Viper39

Been using CombatFlite for over a year now and I am very happy with how it has been made better and better as time passes. 

I'd like to suggest a few small additions:

1. when you select a flight, in the task, you can never  choose "Strike" or "ground attack".  Can this be  added?
  2. When I generate a kneeboard, I always edit the tables before exporting to the miz. Unfortunately, it is impossible to save those edits should I need to go back to generating a modified version of the kneeboard.
  3. In the kneeboard generator, can we have the option to use the coordinates in the following format : Degrees  / minutes /  seconds (instead of decimals)

Thank you

Wishlist: Tornado ADV/IDS, Blackburn Buccaneer, Super Mystère B2, Saab J 35 Draken,

On 1/28/2021 at 9:30 PM, Doomal_dolgo said:

Can I see my flight on the map in real time? Something like this:

No, CF is for mission planning only, at the moment. Although some real-time functionality might come into existence in the long run...

On 1/29/2021 at 4:53 PM, VetoMellaRinn said:

Thank you for your reply - I am aware of the DMS feature in the kneeboard, but I was referring to the ability to assign a DMPI by inputting it into CF.

Example scenario: we have a briefing document from command, which specifies DMPIs in a given format. Those DMPIs are not part of a .miz. We would like to be able to manually enter these DMPIs into CF, then generate the kneeboards. Currently, the only way to input the DMPI is:

image.png

If we could enter the DMPI in MGRS or DMS.DS format, it would be super helpful! Currently, the workaround we're using is manually adding such DMPIs to the kneeboard notes field, like so:

mis2.png

Apologies if there already is a way to do it that I'm not seeing... and thanks again for ongoing support!

Got ya now... At the moment, you can manually enter waypoint coordinates in the DD MM.MMM format only. The integration of DMS and MGRS coords manual entry is planned for update 1.1.1.7 (two updates from now) at the earliest.

1 hour ago, Zooker said:

Is there way to reorder the layers once they are created?

Not yet. It will probably come as part of an overhaul of the Mission Panel user interface .

• Thanks 1

i7 7700K 4.5GHz | GTX1080Ti 11GB | 32GB DDR4 | NVMe M.2 500GB SSD & 3TB HDD | Oculus Rift CV1 & Touch | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswind | MonsterTech mounts

Win10 64-bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CombatFlite.com | Twitter @CombatFlite | YouTube Channel

44 minutes ago, Leviathan667 said:

Been using CombatFlite for over a year now and I am very happy with how it has been made better and better as time passes. 

I'd like to suggest a few small additions:

1. when you select a flight, in the task, you can never  choose "Strike" or "ground attack".  Can this be  added?
  2. When I generate a kneeboard, I always edit the tables before exporting to the miz. Unfortunately, it is impossible to save those edits should I need to go back to generating a modified version of the kneeboard.
  3. In the kneeboard generator, can we have the option to use the coordinates in the following format : Degrees  / minutes /  seconds (instead of decimals)

Thank you

Thanks Leviathan667. Regarding your suggestions:

1. The Strike task is called 'AI' (Air Interdiction) -- though I might add 'Strike' as well to clear up any ambiguities

2. Yes, that will hopefully come in the next update (1.1.1.6)

3. If I understand you request correctly, such option is already there -- in the Kneeboard window just click the DMS option under Coordinates

Cheers,

Viper

i7 7700K 4.5GHz | GTX1080Ti 11GB | 32GB DDR4 | NVMe M.2 500GB SSD & 3TB HDD | Oculus Rift CV1 & Touch | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswind | MonsterTech mounts

Win10 64-bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

1. I thought AI = Air intercept...😅
  2. Good news !
  3. Yes, the DMS part is the option I was talking  about. I now remember I used it before but somehow forgot about it!

Thanks for your quick reply

Wishlist: Tornado ADV/IDS, Blackburn Buccaneer, Super Mystère B2, Saab J 35 Draken,

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2021 at 4:06 PM, mblane03 said:

Viper,

Any chance we can get a dark mode theme for the UI?

mblane03,

Not for the UI per se, but there's the 'High Vis' theme available in the Options tab, which is a kind of dark/high visibility theme option. It changes the colors of the map, routes and objects and to some extent also handles the generated kneeboard pages.

Win10 64-bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Viper,

Yeah, adjusting to High Vis and playing around with the colors does help a bit.

Maybe in a future update, it would be nice to be able to change the UI and/or window backgrounds to something darker.  I'd like to be able to keep CombatFlite open on a second screen while I fly at night time and not be blinded.  I've attached a screenshot and highlighted the bright areas.

Further on that, maybe one day we can save our own custom color schemes.  It would be cool to have a color scheme for daytime operations, and another for night ops.  It could be selectable from the same dropdown box as the "High Vis/Cold War/WW2" theme options.

Keep up the great work.  Your software is amazing.

Highlighted Dark Mode Screenshot.png

Things working great, I have one request.
The RAF (and us) use waypoint 1 as the Hack for some flights because its mainly easier to depart, figure yourself out en route and arrive at a specific time for WP 1, then start the timer. This prevents the need for circling around an airbase or clumping up at the start. It also makes sense for people departing a push point. So an option for the labelling would be to include Time elapsed since WP 1 as well as time elapsed since WP 0 for those who backtrack and circle over the airfield hitting it at whatever speed for the first leg.

Nice to have would be a way to enter freeform comments for each leg like a visual marking for the MDC.

Great job though on the updates recently, fantastic app.

image.pngeat

• Like 1

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Hi,

I'd like to request/suggest a new feature - an export option that is compatible/consumable by map.army.

https://www.map.army/

At least with some kind of default objects.

Their format is a simple xml document, e.g.

<MilXLayer>
                <Name>New Layer 1</Name>
                <LayerType>Normal</LayerType>
                <GraphicList>
                        <MilXGraphic>
                                <MssStringXML>&lt;Symbol ID="SFGPUSTS-------"&gt;&lt;Attribute ID="XB"&gt;L&lt;/Attribute&gt;&lt;/Symbol&gt;</MssStringXML>
                                <PointList>
                                        <Point>
                                                <X>35.8588604160067</X>
                                                <Y>34.4900956002865</Y>
                                        </Point>
                                </PointList>
                        </MilXGraphic>
                        <MilXGraphic>

The tool is really handy, particularly for the 3D view it has.  

Any level of integration with CF would be a huge benny.

Thanks for taking a look!

/Fargo

• Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Are you ready to take your chopper flying skills to the next level?

Then check out http://www.blacksharkden.com/ Or visit us on Discord https://discord.gg/kaayJ5z and talk to some of our awesome pilots today.

Hi Viper.

Thanks for this soft!

I have two questions :

-Does combatflit compute turn radius (in accordance of the speedy I choose to fly) when I prepare a low level navigation.

- Does combatflit compute fuel between each waypoints in accordance of aircraft speedy ans fuel comsumption ?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On 2/17/2021 at 3:45 AM, Pikey said:

Things working great, I have one request.
The RAF (and us) use waypoint 1 as the Hack for some flights because its mainly easier to depart, figure yourself out en route and arrive at a specific time for WP 1, then start the timer. This prevents the need for circling around an airbase or clumping up at the start. It also makes sense for people departing a push point. So an option for the labelling would be to include Time elapsed since WP 1 as well as time elapsed since WP 0 for those who backtrack and circle over the airfield hitting it at whatever speed for the first leg.

Nice to have would be a way to enter freeform comments for each leg like a visual marking for the MDC.

Great job though on the updates recently, fantastic app.

image.pngeat

Gotcha, I'll squeeze it into the next update.

On 2/19/2021 at 6:07 PM, fargo007 said:

Hi,

I'd like to request/suggest a new feature - an export option that is compatible/consumable by map.army.

https://www.map.army/

At least with some kind of default objects.

Their format is a simple xml document, e.g.

<MilXLayer>
                <Name>New Layer 1</Name>
                <LayerType>Normal</LayerType>
                <GraphicList>
                        <MilXGraphic>
                                <MssStringXML>&lt;Symbol ID="SFGPUSTS-------"&gt;&lt;Attribute ID="XB"&gt;L&lt;/Attribute&gt;&lt;/Symbol&gt;</MssStringXML>
                                <PointList>
                                        <Point>
                                                <X>35.8588604160067</X>
                                                <Y>34.4900956002865</Y>
                                        </Point>
                                </PointList>
                        </MilXGraphic>
                        <MilXGraphic>

The tool is really handy, particularly for the 3D view it has.  

Any level of integration with CF would be a huge benny.

Thanks for taking a look!

/Fargo

Fargo,

Thanks for the suggestion. It will get implemented soon for sure -- alongside some other formats that are already underway.

• Like 2

Win10 64-bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On 2/19/2021 at 12:11 AM, KelGun said:

I'd like to assign DMPI's to individual members of a flight. Is this possible in CombatFlite? If so, how is it done? Havent been able to do it so far.

So far, DMPIs can be assigned to the whole flight only. Assigning them to individual flight members has already been requested and will get implemented, but only after some more pressing issues/features are out of the way.

On 2/22/2021 at 2:17 PM, JG300_Papaye said:

Hi Viper.

Thanks for this soft!

I have two questions :

-Does combatflit compute turn radius (in accordance of the speedy I choose to fly) when I prepare a low level navigation.

- Does combatflit compute fuel between each waypoints in accordance of aircraft speedy ans fuel comsumption ?

Hi Papaye,

Thanks for the feedback. Neither radius-of-turn navigation nor fuel calculations are implemented yet. Radius-of-turn will be done later on. On the other hand, fuel consumption is quite complex (many variables that come into play, especially external stores) and requires a lot of data, which would be very laborious to extract from DCS. Real world data are not public in most cases. There fuel consumption, if ever implemented, will be very very rudimentary.

Win10 64-bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CombatFlite v1.1.1.6 (and a quick 1.1.1.7 hotfix) is up and running!

Changes include:

Improved Mission Panel UI
Added BDU-45 for DCS F/A-18C
Added APKWS for DCS AV-8B
Added ammo type selection for DCS SA-342L
Added more carrier types for Real World theater
Added export of AOR corner points to .txt
Fixed carrier TACAN bug
Fixed bugs related to update check, and multiple to instances

Fixed bug when creating a Corridor polygon

Check out the improved UI of the Mission Panel. It is completely reworked, much more user-friendly (hopefully), with Drag & Drop functionality, double-click functions, plus the right-mouse button context menu is retained.

newMissionPanel1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Win10 64-bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi Viper,

There's an issue with kneeboards. If you amend a .cf plan and then save it. Then export to a .miz file, it includes an outdated Kneeboard folder. Even if you manually delete the kneeboard from the .miz and then export a saved plan, an earlier kneeboard is recreated (with the wrong info).

To be certain that the kneeboard is created with the correct data, you need to export the .miz, then independently create a kneeboard and export to the same .miz or you end up with a kneeboard relating to the wrong flight timings! 🙂

Hope that helps

Keep up the great work

19 hours ago, Viper39 said:

So far, DMPIs can be assigned to the whole flight only. Assigning them to individual flight members has already been requested and will get implemented, but only after some more pressing issues/features are out of the way.

Hi Papaye,

Thanks for the feedback. Neither radius-of-turn navigation nor fuel calculations are implemented yet. Radius-of-turn will be done later on. On the other hand, fuel consumption is quite complex (many variables that come into play, especially external stores) and requires a lot of data, which would be very laborious to extract from DCS. Real world data are not public in most cases. There fuel consumption, if ever implemented, will be very very rudimentary.

Thanks a lot for your respond,

And do you think you Can Ask to the devellopers to have the consomption curves and codes of their own module ? For example the fuel logic of the Viggen 😉.

Edited by JG300_Papaye

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

hi viper, thanks a lot for the recent update. the new UI is really neat!

i have an issue, when generating kneeboards for the hornet from imported dcs liberation dynamic campaign missions: the WYP names are all shown as "DictKey_Translation_"+random number. is there anything you could do about this on your side?

also: would be possible to implement a page-up/page-down function on the mouse-wheel in the print preview window?

thanks 👍

On 2/24/2021 at 8:25 AM, Meyomyx said:

Hi Viper,

There's an issue with kneeboards. If you amend a .cf plan and then save it. Then export to a .miz file, it includes an outdated Kneeboard folder. Even if you manually delete the kneeboard from the .miz and then export a saved plan, an earlier kneeboard is recreated (with the wrong info).

To be certain that the kneeboard is created with the correct data, you need to export the .miz, then independently create a kneeboard and export to the same .miz or you end up with a kneeboard relating to the wrong flight timings! 🙂

Hope that helps

Keep up the great work

On 2/24/2021 at 12:18 PM, HILOK said:

hi viper, thanks a lot for the recent update. the new UI is really neat!

i have an issue, when generating kneeboards for the hornet from imported dcs liberation dynamic campaign missions: the WYP names are all shown as "DictKey_Translation_"+random number. is there anything you could do about this on your side?

also: would be possible to implement a page-up/page-down function on the mouse-wheel in the print preview window?

thanks 👍

I'll look into that.

• Like 1

Win10 64-bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On 2/23/2021 at 11:30 AM, Viper39 said:

Gotcha, I'll squeeze it into the next update.

Would it be possible to make it instead from the "Push Point" which is already a waypoint option? That way you could pretty easily coordinate among different flights. If no push point is defined, default to waypoint 0 (if multiple push points are defined for some reason, use the latest). What we've been doing in our group for push points has been to just start a second flight at the push point and use that to coordinate timings.

Very much looking forward to radius of turn (and I assume, overfly vs. fly-by waypoints?) but I assume that gets pretty complex pretty quickly. 

Hi Viper

Our gang of misfits are loving the tool! Brilliant work that changes the way we work with the sim. 

Question: when planning a tactical mission, esp low-level, we would always make allowance for the turn radius such that the plan emulates the ground track. Makes for more accurate navigation and timing. Have I missed this option somewhere?

Edit: Just noted the above...🤣

Edited by Griffon345

On 2/26/2021 at 7:36 PM, ExNusquam said:

.....Very much looking forward to radius of turn (and I assume, overfly vs. fly-by waypoints?) but I assume that gets pretty complex pretty quickly. 

16 hours ago, Griffon345 said:

....Question: when planning a tactical mission, esp low-level, we would always make allowance for the turn radius such that the plan emulates the ground track. Makes for more accurate navigation and timing. Have I missed this option somewhere?

Flying a mission I created last night, it would seem that the radius of turn is in fact built in. Headings shown were correct with overflight of the waypoint, turning using 45 deg angle of bank. Once rolled out on the new heading shown in the doghouse I found the waypoint heading tic mark correctly indicating dead ahead. The headings are therefore calculated using waypoint fly over even though the map route indicates fly by. Thus the timings shown are correct. Now if the map would show the radius of turn we would be in the game for the map track to show the correct ground track as calculated.

TXFR.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/26/2021 at 4:36 PM, ExNusquam said:

Would it be possible to make it instead from the "Push Point" which is already a waypoint option? That way you could pretty easily coordinate among different flights. If no push point is defined, default to waypoint 0 (if multiple push points are defined for some reason, use the latest). What we've been doing in our group for push points has been to just start a second flight at the push point and use that to coordinate timings.

Very much looking forward to radius of turn (and I assume, overfly vs. fly-by waypoints?) but I assume that gets pretty complex pretty quickly. 

Yeah, both options are easily possible -- WP1 and Push Point (the latest one, or WP0 as default if none... as you have written).

On 3/1/2021 at 7:09 AM, Griffon345 said:

Flying a mission I created last night, it would seem that the radius of turn is in fact built in. Headings shown were correct with overflight of the waypoint, turning using 45 deg angle of bank. Once rolled out on the new heading shown in the doghouse I found the waypoint heading tic mark correctly indicating dead ahead. The headings are therefore calculated using waypoint fly over even though the map route indicates fly by. Thus the timings shown are correct. Now if the map would show the radius of turn we would be in the game for the map track to show the correct ground track as calculated.

TXFR.jpg

The radius of turn will come, but not too soon. It's a lot of work as it effects also timings, headings and mission rehearsal. But it is necessary to open up the possibility of some further features...

• Thanks 1

Win10 64-bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Need help with this - i cant find how to find the frequencie of my carrier? Why doesnt flite extract radio comms for carrier so that when i export my kneeboard to pdf i can have radio freq displayed there...In my kneeboard there is ATC option under carrier but when i click on it nothing is displayed?  Check this picture - i have flight comms, intraflight comms, but nthing on carrier... 68sTPld.png

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Pilot from Croatia

CombatFlite update 1.1.1.8 is out!

Changes:

• Added Radial Menu (right-click in map area)
  • Added Nevada TPC raster map
  • Added 'Minutes since WP1' and 'Minutes since Push Point' minute marks options
  • Fixed F-14A carrier take-off/landing waypoint bug
  • Fixed Mach/CAS info for two time-locked waypoints bug
  • Fixed intraflight frequency not being within radio frequency range bug
  • Fixed doubled group IDs and unit IDs bug (export to DCS)
  • Fixed escort waypoint bug

radialMenu1.jpg

radialMenu2.jpg

radialMenu3.jpg

• Like 3

Win10 64-bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]