CombatFlite -- a flight planning tool

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

CombatFlite update 1.1.1.8 is out!   Changes: Added Radial Menu (right-click in map area) Added Nevada TPC raster map Added 'Minutes since WP1' and 'Minutes since Push

Episode 2 of CombatFlite Tutorial videos is up. It is the first video of a two-part tutorial covering basic mission planning functionality of CombatFlite.  

CombatFlite v1.1.1.6 (and a quick 1.1.1.7 hotfix) is up and running!   Changes include: Improved Mission Panel UI Added BDU-45 for DCS F/A-18C Added APKWS for DCS AV-8B Added ammo

Running version 1.1.1.4 and I am unable to display the RED or Blue bullseyes, Neutral works fine.  Anyone else with this issue.  Trying to determine if its just me/my setup.

Thanks

Eric

Edited by eric963
28 minutes ago, eric963 said:

Running version 1.1.1.4 and I am unable to display the RED or Blue bullseyes, Neutral works fine.  Anyone else with this issue.  Trying to determine if its just me/my setup.

Thanks

Eric

Hi Eric,

Do you have them turned on (the square buttons on the right side of the main window)? If yes, perhaps you have set the outer ring range or line opacity to zero. Try navigating your mouse to the position of the blue/red bullseye using the bullseye reading in the status bar in the bottom. Then click when you are near the bullseye and check its properties in the left hand panel that should pop up.

Cheers,

Viper

i7 7700K 4.5GHz | GTX1080Ti 11GB | 32GB DDR4 | NVMe M.2 500GB SSD & 3TB HDD | Oculus Rift CV1 & Touch | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswind | MonsterTech mounts

Win10 64-bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CombatFlite.com | Twitter @CombatFlite | YouTube Channel

2 hours ago, Viper39 said:

Hi Eric,

Do you have them turned on (the square buttons on the right side of the main window)? If yes, perhaps you have set the outer ring range or line opacity to zero. Try navigating your mouse to the position of the blue/red bullseye using the bullseye reading in the status bar in the bottom. Then click when you are near the bullseye and check its properties in the left hand panel that should pop up.

Cheers,

Viper

Yes I had them on but for some reason they were set to "Outer Ring 0nm" after clicking around a bit like you suggested I was able to located them and set them.  Thanks!!

Recently bought and started using CF and so far I'm loving it.

Nevertheless, here are a couple of bugs (or yet to be implemented features) I've found:

1. A flight's inhouse frequency gets exported fine from the .miz to CF (as in: it appears as the frequency on all the waypoints), but is reset to the default when exporting the .cf back to .miz. Tested with F-14A/B, F/A-18C Lot 20 and KC-135 MPRS.
  2. Waypoint frequency change commands generated in a .cf (as in: the frequency associated with a waypoint) get exported fine to a .miz (i.e. to the waypoint actions list), but when importing that same .miz back to CF, any digits behind the dot, if present, get truncated.
  3. Aircraft tail numbers / board numbers / MODEXs are not imported from .miz to CF even though the aircraft configuration menu features an "Eastern Callsign".
  4. Tanker track speeds set in the mission editor get reset to default when importing a .miz to CF and then exporting back to .miz.
  5. When exporting/importing a .cf to .miz or the reverse, tankers' AAT frequencies are correctly transferred, but the "Unit" parameter in the "Activate TACAN" command is reset to "Nothing" when exporting from .cf to .miz, causing the AAT to not transmit. I take no particular credit for this discovery since this phenomenon has already been reported by ScAvenger001 and Legendofdino.
  6. For any mission generated originally in CF, the Description on the right panel in the Mission selection screen you get to from the main DCS menu shows "DictKey_descriptionText_1". Modifying the Situation in DCS or CF has no effect. If the .miz was originally generated in DCS, this does not occur.
  7. Locking an ETA in CF does not lock it in the .miz, while locking an ETA in a .miz does lock it in CF.
  8. Mission briefing slides get exported every time the .cf is exported to .miz (there being no option not to export the briefing), so we end up with various of the same slides in the .miz package if the .cf file is itself based on a .miz import. This may be related to the "Fixed double CF kneeboard files when re-importing .miz" bug above.
  9. The following results in a hang in the DCS mission loading screen:
    • Create a mission with CF.
    • Export mission to .miz.
    • Import mission to CF.
    • Open .miz in game.
  10. The following results in the mission being loaded just fine in DCS:
    • Create a mission with CF.
    • Open mission in DCS editor, re-save.
    • Import mission to CF.
    • Open .miz in game.

Finally a feature request:

• Would it be possible to make the DDM format selectable for the Nav log, or even better, make it possible to select/deselect which coordinate formats are put on the Nav log?

Hi Bestandskraft,

Thanks for your feedback and your comprehensive report. The items will get prioritized for implementation/fixing and I'm sure most of them if not all will be a part of the next update or two.

Cheers,

i7 7700K 4.5GHz | GTX1080Ti 11GB | 32GB DDR4 | NVMe M.2 500GB SSD & 3TB HDD | Oculus Rift CV1 & Touch | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswind | MonsterTech mounts

Win10 64-bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi Viper

Happy New Year!

When browsing the "Flights" tab of the "Mission" panel, expanding a flight to view causes the whole tree for all units to expand. Then, selecting an individual waypoint causes the whole list to shift as that item is relocated to the top of the browser window for every selection you make. It's quite disorientating. I think you should be able to expand a single flight and select individual waypoints without the tree sorting in any way (as other panels seem to do). A simple fix I suspect.

Cheers 🙂

Hi all.
I'm testing CombatFlite for mission planning and documenting.
Can objects in Mission window (flights, packages, layers, didn't test ground units yet) be manual reordered? Is any way to create Sub-Groups? Can we graphically, in map or in list, select multiple objects for map position edition or group creation?
This ideas would be useful to organize information on map or infographic creation.

Also, Undo and Redo functions would be welcome.

Thank you.   

Edited by 104th_Cobra

104th Cobra

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On 1/3/2021 at 11:40 AM, Meyomyx said:

Hi Viper

Happy New Year!

When browsing the "Flights" tab of the "Mission" panel, expanding a flight to view causes the whole tree for all units to expand. Then, selecting an individual waypoint causes the whole list to shift as that item is relocated to the top of the browser window for every selection you make. It's quite disorientating. I think you should be able to expand a single flight and select individual waypoints without the tree sorting in any way (as other panels seem to do). A simple fix I suspect.

Cheers 🙂

Thanks!

The priority for the next update is Bestandkraft's list plus a few other issues in back-log. Then some UI tweaks (including the Mission Panel trees) plus one or two demanded features will have their turn.

Cheers,

3 hours ago, 104th_Cobra said:

Hi all.
I'm testing CombatFlite for mission planning and documenting.
Can objects in Mission window (flights, packages, layers, didn't test ground units yet) be manual reordered? Is any way to create Sub-Groups? Can we graphically, in map or in list, select multiple objects for map position edition or group creation?
This ideas would be useful to organize information on map or infographic creation.

Also, Undo and Redo functions would be welcome.

Thank you.   

Hi Cobra,

Yes, the objects can be moved among layers, while layers themselves can be created and edited. This is among the things covered in the next tutorial video that will be ready in the coming days -- stay tuned. Multiple object selection is not implemented at the moment.

Win10 64-bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hello everyone!

I would like to wish you all a happy new year and to thank you for the ongoing support and provided feedback. The interest in CombatFlite and the number of licenses sold has greatly exceeded initial expectations. With that in mind, it is my goal to meet and exceed the expections of yours, the end-users and DCS fliers. Reported bugs, suggestions and requested features are always considered and (where feasible) racked and stacked for implementation. The priority goes to issue resolution, user interface improvement, then to implementation of new features based on their added value, perceived demand for them, and their ease of implementation. Simultaneously, online content especially in the form of tutorial videos is created, to help new users with the learning curve of a complex tool, that CombatFlite is. You can expect Episode 3 in the coming days.

With the Christmas Sale having ended, a new base price has been set based on a price-sensitivity analysis of the past two months. The goal here is to drive an early establishment of a large pool of users, which in turn will mean a greater chance of reporting and thus resolving issues and determining the statistically prevailing user needs. I encourage you to reach out and provide feedback -- your voice is important.

On a sidenote, relations with professional customers have been established, with new partnerships on the horizon. This is something, that the DCS community segment of CF users could benefit from in the future.

Many thanks and a happy 2021!

Viper

CombatFlite_400.jpg

Win10 64-bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thank you so much for this awesome program and I am very appreciative  that you have considered and implemented some of my suggestions.

I am looking forward to seeing your next video tutorial.

Edited by AG-51_Thud
Grammer
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, AG-51_Thud said:

If at all possible, please consider imported circles (SAMS) not be filled. 

All the imported SAMs can be made "not filled" at once by clicking the 'Make all circles NOT filled' button in the context menu in the layers tab of the mission panel (see the next tutorial). Perhaps they could be not filled by default.

Episode 3 of the CombatFlite Tutorial series is up. This time we focus on Packages, Layers, the Clone Flight function, the Mission Rehearsal tool, and some other useful features.

Thumbnail_Ep3_small.jpg

Enjoy!

Edited by Viper39
  • Like 2

Win10 64-bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hey Viper39, some more inconveniences I noticed (I hope I was able to reconstruct the logic correctly, it's somewhat convoluted):

1. When saving a mission in the DCS mission editor whose .miz was exported from CF, group, pilot and waypoint names immediately (i.e. before any export) revert to the ones set in CF, unless the .miz was originally created in the DCS mission editor, exported and then re-imported, in which case only the waypoint names revert.
  2. When a mission originally created in the DCS mission editor is exported to CF, any changes made to the custom callsign in CF are not carried over to the group and pilot names when re-exporting to .miz.
  3. When a .miz is originally created in CF, group, pilot and waypoint names get deleted when exporting the mission to .stm (Static Template) in the DCS mission editor.
  4. When a .miz is originally created in the DCS mission editor, then exported to CF and re-exported to .miz, waypoint names get deleted when thereafter exporting the mission to .stm in the DCS mission editor. Pilot names are modified as follows: When a group was called "Test1" and the corresponding pilots "Test11" and "Test12" prior to exporting the .stm, after the export and reimport of the .stm to the DCS mission editor the pilots are then called "Test1-1" and "Test1-2".
  5. This is related to point 7 in my previous report: Since locked ETAs do not get exported to .miz, any activity duration set on a waypoint is ignored in-game. The only way I have found to actually make a CF delay work in DCS is to manually copy the CF-calculated ETA of the waypoint following an activity to the DCS editor, lock that ETA and the GS of the remaining waypoints until the subsequent activity.

Not sure if it's worth fixing this as you'd be hacking around a DCS almanac problem but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

Contrary to real-life, DCS assumes the (I think) entire Persian Gulf theater to be situated in the +4 time zone, whereas e.g. Iran actually uses a +3.5 time zone. A similar issue occurs in other theaters but I'll use PG as an example.

Reference the attached .cf. According to your calculations, sun elevation at steerpoint 0 at approximately 16:40:17 at N 27 24.780 E 051 18.639 is 0°, which I interpret as sunset or close to it (we might disregard rounding errors and sunset being defined as the upper edge of the sun touching to horizon and elevation being referenced to the center of the sun's disk since those differences are not relevant to my point).

Test-flying the associated sunsettest.miz and using the Armed Speedboat as a vantage point (it being located on the waterline as opposed to the carrier let alone the F-14 airborne), sunset actually occurs at around 17:40:00, so approximately 1 hour later than calculated.

According to suncalc.org (reference screenshot), the sun should set at 17:12:17 at that location.

Reviewing the attached .acmi recordings of the .miz (be sure to select the correct time offset of +03:30), one can see that at 17:40:00, the Tacview sun has long set, whereas it actually sets at pretty much precisely 17:12:17.

This proves/leads me to conclude that

• the DCS almanac is essentially correct but does not always correctly account for time zones,
  • Tacview uses the correct RL almanac but sometimes shows the incorrect sun position with reference to DCS,
  • CF has a one-hour difference to the DCS almanac and a half-hour difference to the RL almanac, at least in the conditions indicated above.

suncalc.png

actual_sunset.acmi dcs_sunset.acmi sunsettest.cf sunsettest.miz

Edited by Bestandskraft

Is it possible to create several individiual Kneebords for each Pilot in a multiplayer flightmission? For Example the A10 Team with 3 Pilots has an special mission wich is different to the F/A 18 Team (2 Pilots) or the F 16 Team  (2 Pilots). Now i organized for example a Kneeboard for the A 10 Squadron. In this case all three Pilots have the same Kneebord with the same Name of Pilot 1, thats not perfect, but its OK cause they have the same Mission. But if i create a new Kneebord for the FA 18 Team, the A 10 Kneeboard will be overwritten in the Mission. How can i create severeal individiual Kneebords for each Pilot in the miz file? Thanks for help.   

Edited by Abeone
On 4/16/2019 at 6:57 PM, Viper39 said:

Hi Backy,

At the moment, you can get only DD MM.MMM, DD MM SS, or MGRS (10-digit). But good point. It won't be a problem to add two more decimals for the DMS... 😉

Hello and thanks for an amazing product!

Any news on this awesome feature? would be really useful for gps ordnance PP modes... thanks!

Edited by VetoMellaRinn
  • Like 1

:pilotfly: BrotherBloat

On 1/19/2021 at 9:23 PM, Abeone said:

Is it possible to create several individiual Kneebords for each Pilot in a multiplayer flightmission? For Example the A10 Team with 3 Pilots has an special mission wich is different to the F/A 18 Team (2 Pilots) or the F 16 Team  (2 Pilots). Now i organized for example a Kneeboard for the A 10 Squadron. In this case all three Pilots have the same Kneebord with the same Name of Pilot 1, thats not perfect, but its OK cause they have the same Mission. But if i create a new Kneebord for the FA 18 Team, the A 10 Kneeboard will be overwritten in the Mission. How can i create severeal individiual Kneebords for each Pilot in the miz file? Thanks for help.   

Hi Abeone,

The best way is to make the individual kneeboards using the 'Generate images' button in the Kneeboard window - that is for individual pilots separately. Everyone can then put their respective kneeboard into their SavedGames\DCS\Kneeboard folder. Of course, if you have a kneeboard that is common for everyone, you can insert it directly to the miz.

Viper

On 1/21/2021 at 2:18 AM, VetoMellaRinn said:

Hello and thanks for an amazing product!

Any news on this awesome feature? would be really useful for gps ordnance PP modes... thanks!

Hello VetoMellaRinn,

Thanks. The mentioned feature is already there. Just click the 'DMS' option in the Kneeboard window.

• Like 1

Win10 64-bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hello everyone,

Build 1.1.1.5 was released a couple days ago. Almost all of the points in the posts above are resolved.

Some (number 1, 3 and 4 of second Bestandskraft's list) are yet to be handled -- they will require moving the naming of waypoints, groups, units completely to the dictionary file of the .miz, otherwise the DCS ME would not handle them correctly in certain situations such as those described in the Bestandskraft's second post.

Regarding #5 of the second list, the ETAs in the exported miz are not set intentionally, as better AI behavior in DCS was observed when the fixed timings were achieved by setting a calculated fixed ground speed between the waypoints, rather than giving the AI a fixed time and letting it reach the point at the right time on their own. It should not have any impact on the activity duration time. If there is an activity duration set in CF, it is exported either as a circle orbit waypoint action or as a race-track orbit waypoint action (if two subsequent waypoints are placed over orbit anchors in CF).

Now, the work is focused on resolving the remaining bugs, improving the functionality of the Kneeboard, the overall UI, and implementing new features such as loading/saving of radio presets. It goes without saying that new stores/loadouts of DCS aircraft are being brought to CF as well. Also, further episodes of the CF Tutorial videos are coming.

Many thanks for the provided feedback, reports and continuing support and interest in CF.

Cheers,

Viper

• Like 1

Win10 64-bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On 1/28/2021 at 9:31 AM, Viper39 said:

Hi Abeone,

The best way is to make the individual kneeboards using the 'Generate images' button in the Kneeboard window - that is for individual pilots separately. Everyone can then put their respective kneeboard into their SavedGames\DCS\Kneeboard folder. Of course, if you have a kneeboard that is common for everyone, you can insert it directly to the miz.

Viper

Hello VetoMellaRinn,

Thanks. The mentioned feature is already there. Just click the 'DMS' option in the Kneeboard window.

Thank you for your reply - I am aware of the DMS feature in the kneeboard, but I was referring to the ability to assign a DMPI by inputting it into CF.

Example scenario: we have a briefing document from command, which specifies DMPIs in a given format. Those DMPIs are not part of a .miz. We would like to be able to manually enter these DMPIs into CF, then generate the kneeboards. Currently, the only way to input the DMPI is:

image.png

If we could enter the DMPI in MGRS or DMS.DS format, it would be super helpful! Currently, the workaround we're using is manually adding such DMPIs to the kneeboard notes field, like so:

mis2.png

Apologies if there already is a way to do it that I'm not seeing... and thanks again for ongoing support!

:pilotfly: BrotherBloat