INS updates without landmarks? How to?

Nealius

Normally when I plan a mission I put waypoints over some easily recognizable geographic feature that can be seen visually or on radar--river openings, islands, lakes, etc.--so I can easily update the INS. However, when I'm flying missions out to sea my INS will drift 10-20km away and I become lost on RTB. Obviously there are no landmarks over the ocean, so what's the best procedure to keep the INS updated over water?

Normally when I plan a mission I put waypoints over some easily recognizable geographic feature that can be seen visually or on radar--river openings, islands, lakes, etc.--so I can easily update the INS. However, when I'm flying missions out to sea my INS will drift 10-20km away and I become lost on RTB. Obviously there are no landmarks over the ocean, so what's the best procedure to keep the INS updated over water?

I try to keep myself close enough to shore to be able to see a large landmark like a busy harbor or river opening or peninsula at maximum radar range to get a rough INS update to get near base for TERNAV updates and/or navigation assistance from the ATC. There is also the strategy of keeping some stationary ships at a waypoint for better precision, but that seems somewhat unrealistic for me.

As a guy who flew professionally over water using inertial navigation systems, I'll just say: you don't update over water. The INS isn't so much a precision navigation system as it is something that will get you where you need to go and back. That said, 10-20km is a huge amount of drift over a short flight (the INS I used was rated at 2nm/hour, and the drift was usually a fraction of that). Since there's no spin-up time in the Viggen, I'm wondering if it's actually an INS or a flight computer using Doppler inputs. If it's a Doppler, then switching the Land/Sea switch (in front of the radar stick) to Sea when over water should drastically reduce your drift.

Ultimately, the INS should get you back to a place on the shoreline that you can recognize (or a navaid you can dial up). Pick a waypoint that is clearly visible on radar at a distance (like you have mentioned in your post), and use that as a rough correction. Then you can fine-tune your update when you get closer.

Viggen does not have an INS. It has a doppler navigation system connected to a rather smart computer. But AFAIK such systems don't work very well over water, as it's harder to get a good ground speed readout over water.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

The basic position calculation is just dead reckoning. The computer takes course and accelerations in all three axes from the ADI and autopilot, as well as temperature and air pressures from the air data unit, to calculate a true airspeed vector. Then it converts this to an estimated ground speed vector by compensating for the wind speed using either doppler radar-measured speed over the ground if possible, or forecast wind (as input from the data cartridge) if the doppler isn't working. Then it integrates this every 103 ms to continuously calculate the current position. The only kinda inertial components are the accelerometer gyros.

Setting the land/sea switch (LAND/SJÖ) to sea mode when over water is advisable to help the doppler out (according to the manual the doppler spectrum tends to be shifted lower over sea and the sea mode is supposed to compensate for this - it also states that in level flight and with moderate waveheights the error is on the order of "a few percent"). The manual also states that the doppler will not work reliably at pitch or bank angles above 15° when in sea mode. If the doppler has failed to track for two minutes straight you should get a NAVSYST warning on the announciator panel.

You can override the doppler by inputting forecast wind manually while in the air (input done on the ground does not do this) - input wind direction in degrees with three digits followed by wind speed in km/h with two digits in VIND/RUTA/MÅL IN, confirm with LS/SKU. Input wind direction 000° and speed 00 km/h in the same way to re-enable doppler measurement. You can also see what CK37 thinks the current wind is by going VIND/RUTA/MÅL UT - output is just like input (three digits direction in degrees, two digits speed in km/h) with the addition that the sixth digit is a - (minus) if it's using forecast wind or a 0 (zero) if it's using the doppler.

10-20km of drift sounds gigantic, though. Are you flying acrobatics the entire time?

Edited by renhanxue

This happened in the "Hunting the Hunters" SP mission. On RTB, with the computer in AKT/POS the last digit was 4, which according to Chuck's guide indicates estimated error of 4km. Novorossiysk was my L1 and LS waypoints, however my navigation system was leading me somewhere between Novorossiysk and Anapa for both waypoints. Measured on the map it was close to 20-30km off.

This happened in the "Hunting the Hunters" SP mission. On RTB, with the computer in AKT/POS the last digit was 4, which according to Chuck's guide indicates estimated error of 4km. Novorossiysk was my L1 and LS waypoints, however my navigation system was leading me somewhere between Novorossiysk and Anapa for both waypoints. Measured on the map it was close to 20-30km off.

Is it possible, that you performed an update fix during the flight that was far off and caused this huge offset?

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Not if done by the book.

But if you did not change the waypoint type over the ship to "Target" then by slewing that waypoint you would change all waypoints in the flight plan as well.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Yes, that's what it's for. :)

If you slew the target waypoint, you're updating the target position.

If you slew the regular waypoint, you're performing fix update, in other words you move all waypoints by the same amount.

follow the compass to the nearest land using cardinal directions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.