LockOn.exe problem

Flier

There's a pop-up menu said that my LockOn.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close when im in the middle of the game,sometimes it occured in the middle when it's loading the game.it happens quite frequently and pretty annoying,please help before i broke my monitor:mad:,advance will be appreciated

Post up your system specs so we can have an idea as to your hardware setup. Had a problem like that in the past which I tracked down to my PSU not being able to provide adequate power to the GPU.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

• Thanks for the replies.
  • below is my system spec
  • Pentium®D
  • CPU 2.66GHz
  • 2.68GHz
  • 1.00GB of Ram
  • ASUS Radeon 9800 PRO
  • Im playing LockOn 1.12a with CAW and CAW carrier ops Addon
  • im using Dual Core,would it be a factor?

If it happens regularly, try disabling Windows "Data Execution Prevention" or make LO an exception ... under system, properties, advanced, performance settings somewhere ...

Thanks for reply.there's no such performance setting under my system folder,you're talking about the one inside my WINDOWS folder,right?

could u please show me more specifically.Thanks

I recently started playing 1.02 again and in some games I get the same crash very frequently. It mostly happens when I press some button, like drop chaff, switch to BVR mode or the map (some games do have them activated). But only in some games. I can play in others for hours without a single crash.

I don't have data execution prevention activated and I even tried it on another Windows installation. Same results. What's strange is that it never ever happens to me in 1.12a. I'm suspecting that it might have something to do with mods/skins/missions or something else that the host is using. It's only a guess though.

Thanks for reply.there's no such performance setting under my system folder,you're talking about the one inside my WINDOWS folder,right?

could u please show me more specifically.Thanks

Sorry, I didn't explain it well ... right click on the 'System' icon and select properties, then select the advanced tab, then under performance, select the settings button, select the data execution prevention tab and select the radio button labelled 'Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs ...'.

This will stop Windows being abit too critical when checking for stray pointers etc. in applications.

Sorry, I didn't explain it well ... right click on the 'System' icon and select properties, then select the advanced tab, then under performance, select the settings button, select the data execution prevention tab and select the radio button labelled 'Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs ...'.

This will stop Windows being abit too critical when checking for stray pointers etc. in applications.

Thanks a lot for the instructions.you dont have to say sorry,it's not your fault.

but i still couldnt find what you're referring to.

when i selected the advanced tab,it shows like below:

choose the options you want for this file

Archive and index attributes

File is ready for archiving

For fast searching,allow Indexing Service to index this file

Compress or Encrypt attributes

Compress contents to save disk space

Encrypt contennts to secure data

that's all i can see

just for the verification,the system folder you're talking about is inside My computer/WINDOWS/System,right?

If it happens regularly, try disabling Windows "Data Execution Prevention" or make LO an exception ... under system, properties, advanced, performance settings somewhere ...

i found the Data Execution Prevention,you mean i have to disable the DEP?

or CHECK the one below said:

Turn on DEP for all programs and services excert those i select

and ADD LockOn?

I had issues a while back and stumbled across this memory tweak which seemed to have helped in my instance anyway. Can give it a go if you so wish - will fine tune your systems memory management:

Go to start\run\regedit -and then to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management

1.DisablePagingExecutive -double click it and in the decimal put a 1 - this allows XP to keep data in memory now instead of paging sections of ram to harddrive yeilds faster performance.

2.LargeSystemCache- double click it and change the decimal to 1 -this allows XP Kernel to Run in memory improves system performance alot

PS: Use at own risk.:)

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Worth a go - you never know, but only use the first option if you have more than 1GB of RAM otherwise you'll run short and XP will not be able to push unused chunks of the OS out to the swap file - it doesn't effect user data only the OS itself - and LO does seem to eat memory especially after its been running a while.

The second option is for servers - it prunes applications working sets to give a bigger system cache hence possibly speeding up disks access - again if you have tons of RAM or are a server.

Flier, try selecting the 2nd option on the DEP screen and explicitly adding Lockon.exe.

ok,thanks,guys.i'll give it a try.but witch one goes first?

try selecting the 2nd option on DEP(by Kula66) or the instructions by 159th_Viper?

to the 1st option by 159th_Viper,Kula66,u said use it if i have more than 1GB of RAM,i just have 1GB RAM for my PC,does it means there's nothing i can do now?

You need to provide more information about the crash. What does the error report say, at least tell us what the faulting module is.

Thanks for coming.i wonder is this what you're talking about:

below is what the report says:

Error signature

AppName:lockon.exe AppVer:1.1.2.0

ModName:msvcrt.dll ModVer:7.0.2600.2180

Offset:00016929

Module 1

lockon.exe

Image Base:0 x 00400000 Image Size:0 x 00000000

Checksum:0 x 0060f58c Time Stamp:0 x 346f832d

Version Information

The following files will be included in this error report:

c:\DOCUME~1\Flier\LOCALS~1\Temp\6326_appcompat.txt

that's all,thanks for the advance

Looks like a version of the msvcrt.dll hell issues that have been seen numerous times. Do the following:

Create a file (can be anything) called lockon.exe.local and place that inside the directory where lockon.exe resides. Now launch lock on as usual. You will most likely see an error message when the game launches but just click ok.

You must ensure the file has the file extension ".local" and therefore you may need to turn on file extensions for known file types.

im no good at finding files.could u please tell me where the lockon.exe situated?coz i cant find it in my lockon folder.:(

and which file i must ensure has the file extension ".local",and how am i turn it on?

sorry for a nOOb ask such idiot questions

ooook first of all.....

Open an explorer window then tools>folder options>view tab and uncheck the box labelled "Hide extensions for known file types". Click OK.

Now find the folder into which you installed lock on for instance mine is "C:\Program Files\Lock On". Your's may be different e.g. "C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\Lock On". Inside that folder right-click on some clear space and choose new>text document and name it 'lockon.exe.local'.

That is all you need to do. Launch lock on as you would usually.

ok,thanks again for reply.i did the setting,still need some time to test the game.Thank you so much for the instruction.

and to Kula66 and 159th_Viper,although i'd adopted the method by yamangman,but it's still useful if the method by yamangman doesn't work:D.

anyway,a big thanks to u guys out there who's been answered my questions for these couple of days,really learned a lot from u guys,thank you so much,deeply appreciated.:thumbup:

sorry to tell u yamangman,the method u taught doesnt seems to work.coz there's not just the error message u said,another error message pop-up,that's the runtime error too.and i cant even launch LockOn at all.do u think i should adopt the method by Kula66 and 159th_Viper?

and to 159th_Viper and Kula66,do u guys think that i should adopt your method after u guys saw the error report i'd posted?coz the instructions u guys told me was came before my error report.still looking for the answer.:cry: