Another data point for those thinking about VR

hansangb

So I've been a fan of VR and have owned, DK1, DK2, Vive, and Rift. Finally settling on Rift CV1. I'm also a backer of the "8K" Pimax. And used 3X 22" monitor setup.

But earlier this week, I went and bought Acer X34. It's my first GSYNC capable monitor. I bought it for work, for COD WW2, and PUBG. And I fired up DCS and cranked all settings to highest settings. And w/o GSYNC it was solid 80-110 FPS. GSync was 60, of course, but again, extremely smooth. And boy did it look pretty. But that's all it was. Pretty. I had no sense that I was flying anything.

So before this thread goes of the rails by people bemoaning the lack of laser sharp clarity in VR and how lack of that clarity makes VR a joke for DCS... all I can tell people is that I found DCS utterly boring in X34 monitor. Pretty? without a doubt. Clear? Laser sharp. Beautiful? absolutely. Fun? Not even close.

So if you're on the fence about VR, use this as another data point in your research.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

:thumbup:

There truly is nothing like VR for the incredible immersion it gives.

I won't game without it, and I tried. It just was not the same anymore.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Before I got my Rift, I had a 34" Curved 21:9 3440x1440 screen. I thought it was awesome! Such an incredible improvement over my old 27" 1920x1080 screen.

Then I got the Rift.

I then realized that I didn’t know the meaning of 'awesome' before I got the Rift.

2D screens are better than VR in several ways, but the total experience is a lot better in VR.

That’s at least how I feel...

• Like 1

Once you smoke the VR crack, it's over.

LOL:D:joystick:

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

It's a trade off for me, and because I spend a lot of time designing and proving out missions and lua code, I use both.

The immersion of VR.... 110%. You will literally be throwing your hands up when SAMs come at you or you ar about to crash. Yup, it's like that.

And that lasts until I see the individual pixels, or struggle to read the instruments That diverts away from the immersion greatly. Not for everyone I understand, but definitely for me.

That said, I can do things in the helicopter very easily that I can't do half as well with the 34" curved monitor due to the actual sense of depth perception.

And it's easily twice as fun.

So I use it for fun flights. I still don't feel like I can spot and identify a ground object at distance the same way I can with a monitor, but I continue to try and tweak settings. I'm getting 45FPS at 2.1 pixel density.

Awesome awesome stuff. It's got to improve with pixel size by another 100% IMHO. My estimate is that if that were the case, there'd be no other way to fly. At all.

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Have fun. Don't suck. Kill bad guys. 👍

https://discord.gg/blacksharkden/

Once you smoke the VR crack, it's over.

Ain't that the truth! ;)

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Chalk another 1440p curved 34" 21:9 owner up in the "VR is the ONLY way to play DCS" column. I bought this monitor the day it came out back in 2014, back then it was $1300 and I thought it couldn't get any better...then I spent a measely $400 on a CV1 a couple of months back and realized what I had been missing. DCS is SO much better in VR.

Couldn't agree with OP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

That said, I can do things in the helicopter very easily that I can't do half as well with the 34" curved monitor due to the actual sense of depth perception.

+1! I've completed Huey missions in VR that I never would have been able to do on a flat monitor. Flying and SA is so much easier because it's so natural in VR.

i just found this out.

Record a track in the Mi-8, then play it back, but move your chair WAY back, and look out to one side. You'll be sitting in the body of the helicopter with the two door gunners. You can look out the window and experience the ride as a passenger. Or look over the door gunner's shoulder.

It's very, very cool.

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

I did stick my head out the door gunner's door.

I was on my hands and knees on the floor, with my head pointed at the wall, laughing and wow-ing.

Wondered what my kids would say if they came in and saw that.

Which gave me an idea. "A joke is always funnier when it's at someone's else's expense...."

I will play the track back and put the oculus on my buddy. Have him do that, and video him the whole time.

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

LOL. That would have been a sight to see! :) Gotta love VR!

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

I always warn my simmer friends when they come over that this is a world of bottomless expenses. And that they don't really want to come play with it...

Already had one get back home and order a rift within a day.

I always warn my simmer friends when they come over that this is a world of bottomless expenses. And that they don't really want to come play with it...

Already had one get back home and order a rift within a day.

:thumbup:

It is quite addictive.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

You're all just a step away from treatment for Holo Addiction...http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Holo-addiction.

I'm immune, I have only one good eye and so the sensation of 3D can't be faked for me since I dont know it in RL neither.

Edited by Beagle One

I did stick my head out the door gunner's door.

I was on my hands and knees on the floor, with my head pointed at the wall, laughing and wow-ing.

Wondered what my kids would say if they came in and saw that.

Which gave me an idea. "A joke is always funnier when it's at someone's else's expense...."

I will play the track back and put the oculus on my buddy. Have him do that, and video him the whole time.

Just be aware last time I played a track back in VR not only is there the head movement of the recorded track there is the movement of the user which can be really disorienting for the person wearing the Rift. :D

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.