DCS and Pimax

Wags

4 hours ago, The Highlander said:

Parallel Projections was fixed ages ago cant mind when though

Thanks. Do you mean fixed by ED in DCS? As in they recently updated DCS VR to handle canted HMDs natively? Because it definitely still went cross-eyed in the zoom back in June. I must have missed the patch notes then. Or was it in a SteamVR update maybe?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Regards, Darryl ( Discord =STP= Stalinium Tree Pilots )

DCS, FC3, UH1H, AV8BNA, Ka50, A10C, P51D, Gazelle, PG, F/A-18, F-16, Windows 10, i7 4790K 4.0GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32G 2400MHz Ram, 256G SSD, VKB Gladiator 2 Stick (converted to SCG Premium grip), Saitek Pro Rudder, TWCS Throttle, VoiceAttack, Pimax Artisan, Oculus Rift CV1, TrackIR 5 (reversed), 1080P Ceiling-Mounted Projector onto 120" diagonal wall space, 5.1 Surround Speakers, Bass shaker c/w SimShaker Sound Module, & too much spare time?

Same thing in IL-2 GB, I just noticed. No PP required there either now. Seems like too big of a coincidence for both devs to do it at the same time?

Edit: Apparently IL-2 did fix it last month, in their patch notes. I still can't find it in ED's notes, but it seems they must have done it too. Nice!

Edited by Darrylx444
clarity and new info

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

DCS, FC3, UH1H, AV8BNA, Ka50, A10C, P51D, Gazelle, PG, F/A-18, F-16, Windows 10, i7 4790K 4.0GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32G 2400MHz Ram, 256G SSD, VKB Gladiator 2 Stick (converted to SCG Premium grip), Saitek Pro Rudder, TWCS Throttle, VoiceAttack, Pimax Artisan, Oculus Rift CV1, TrackIR 5 (reversed), 1080P Ceiling-Mounted Projector onto 120" diagonal wall space, 5.1 Surround Speakers, Bass shaker c/w SimShaker Sound Module, & too much spare time?

On 12/16/2020 at 6:22 PM, Darrylx444 said:

I'm curious how many fellow Pimaxers here have tried turning off Parallel Projections lately? I just did yesterday and was impressed with the big (30%?) jump in FPS on my Artisan. Also the image resolution even looks a bit better to me, but I also turned on Steam Advanced Super-sample Filtering at the same time.

NB: I'm on the latest Beta PiTool 1.0.2.087_v2 , but not sure if that matters. 100% Steam SS, 1.0 SS in DCS, 1.0 RQ in Pitool.

I had tried this earlier this year, but it seems to me the cross-eyed zoom trade-off isn't as severe as it once was. I may just rock this from now on. Thoughts?

Yes, it was mentioned earlier in this thread that the parallel projection was no longer needed and it definitely has a performance increase. But I understand how you missed it with this big of tread and now no longer a quick thread search option and it should be mentioned again anyway!

I7-9700KF@5ghz, 32GB DDR4 3200, RTX 3090, Pimax 5k+, Virpil T-50CM2 base with Warthog, F/A-18, T-50cm, and VFX grips, Saitek X65F, Saitek Switch Panel, TM Cougar MFDs, TM TPR pedals, JetSeat and bass pucks, H640P for VRK, PointCtrl

3rd Space Vest project for basic G Seat/G Suit simulation

For those interested, I have posted all my settings on this thread I started.  Getting anywhere between 50 and 60FPS on just about every map.  Some times it dips to 45, but usually sticking around 50 to 55.  The new OB patch and NVIDIA patch may have something to do with it.  I have posted some videos on this thread so you can see my FPS.  INSANE flying low level over Syria with the F-16 at such a high FPS.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

p8kX 

75/37.5

Ive noticed as soon as you go over 70% GPU use motion smooth (or a DCS issue?) can no longer keep up and start frame lagging and stops being smooth. its very visible looking out to the sides and leaves a pretty big loss in available performance.  You guys getting that? 

Edited by trigen

1080 ti, i7700k 5ghz, 16gb 3600 cl14 ddr4 oc

4 hours ago, trigen said:

p8kX 

75/37.5

Ive noticed as soon as you go over 70% GPU use motion smooth (or a DCS issue?) can no longer keep up and start frame lagging and stops being smooth. its very visible looking out to the sides and leaves a pretty big loss in available performance.  You guys getting that? 

Yes, to me it is smoother at 50-60 fps with my 3090 without motion smoothing than the 37.5 "smoothed"

I7-9700KF@5ghz, 32GB DDR4 3200, RTX 3090, Pimax 5k+, Virpil T-50CM2 base with Warthog, F/A-18, T-50cm, and VFX grips, Saitek X65F, Saitek Switch Panel, TM Cougar MFDs, TM TPR pedals, JetSeat and bass pucks, H640P for VRK, PointCtrl

I get a weird halting every few frames while flying on the deck (looking at trees going by) IF Smart Smoothing is ON. Only in DCS, not any of my other sims.

With it turned OFF, it is perfectly smooth.

However, at all other altitudes, I usually prefer Smart Smoothing to be ON because there is no halting, and it improves the perceived FPS at 120Hz.

So, it would be great if Pimax would enable hot-keys to allow switching Smart Smoothing on-the-fly, similar to how Oculus does already with ASW (Ctrl-Numpad-1,2,3,4). I already asked the devs via reddit a few months ago, and Kevin said he would bring it up with the team. Here's hoping!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Here is another FPS boost that only just started to work for me just recently. Based on others comments I had tried this before like 7 months ago without success, but for some reason I tried again this week and it works for me now:

Reduce SteamVR SuperSampling to 50%. Increase PiTool Render Quality to 1.25. Leave DCS VR Pixel Density at 1.0 (none).

For me this gives about 15-20 more FPS, AND slightly better image quality as my previous settings (SVR SS 100%, PT RQ 1.0, DCS PD 1.0).

I know the setting value uses a different scaling factor than Steam does, but perhaps PT RQ is just more efficient? YMMV

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Do you need the SteamVR based station to run this headset? Or just the headset? Which headset to go for too?

Now: Water-cooled Ryzen 5800X + 32GB DDR 4 3200 RAM + EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra 24 GB + Reverb G2 + Add-on PCI-e 3.1 card + 2x1TB Corsair M.2 4900/4200 + TM HOTAS Warthog + TM TPR Pendular Rudder  'Engaged Defensive' YouTube Channel

Modules: F/A-18C / AV-8B / F-16 / Persian Gulf / Syria / Nevada 

Backup: Water-cooled i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz + 32GB DDR4 3200MHz + GTX 1080 8GB + 1TB M.2 1k drive & 250GB SSD drive 500MBps 4K 40" monitor + TrackIR 5

On 1/1/2021 at 3:06 PM, Darrylx444 said:

Here is another FPS boost that only just started to work for me just recently. Based on others comments I had tried this before like 7 months ago without success, but for some reason I tried again this week and it works for me now:

Reduce SteamVR SuperSampling to 50%. Increase PiTool Render Quality to 1.25. Leave DCS VR Pixel Density at 1.0 (none).

For me this gives about 15-20 more FPS, AND slightly better image quality as my previous settings (SVR SS 100%, PT RQ 1.0, DCS PD 1.0).

I know the setting value uses a different scaling factor than Steam does, but perhaps PT RQ is just more efficient? YMMV

Thanks for the suggestion. For me though, this works out to be about the same as SVR 78% PT RQ 1.0 which is the resolution that I get almost exactly equal with 50% SVR and PT RQ 1.25. I can also tell that the HUD is slightly less crisp than SVR 100%.

Edited by Snake122

22 hours ago, Snake122 said:

Thanks for the suggestion. For me though, this works out to be about the same as SVR 78% PT RQ 1.0 which is the resolution that I get almost exactly equal with 50% SVR and PT RQ 1.25. I can also tell that the HUD is slightly less crisp than SVR 100%.

Yeah, upon further testing the (subjective) visual quality may not actually be as good as I originally thought. Definitely still an FPS boost, but not exactly a free one. My bad.

I am really enjoying the smooth VR performance lately!

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, darkman222 said:

The hand tracking module for the Pimax seems to be kinda released. Waiting time after payment 6-8 weeks though. Does anyone have it? Or at least know if it will work in DCS?

I  just test it one hour (I moved to Reverb, and tested it to sell it with my Pimax 5K+). It works quite well with DCS Leap : https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/fr/files/3306533/ I did not spend too much time to fine tune it, but I was able to switch and turn anything in cockpit. I think with a few more time and training it will work OK. Do not try to use controller emulation for DCS, it's not working well.
I had to use an old version of https://github.com/SDraw/driver_leap, the last one was creating 2 second delay for virtual controller actions !

P8700K @4.8 GHz, 1080ti, 16 GB RAM, HP reverb Pro.

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

2 hours ago, darkman222 said:

Would you recommend it tho? The Pimax manual now says you dont have to use DCS leap. Instead a Pimax installer should do everything automatically for you now.

I do not know, I did not test this Pimax installer...

P8700K @4.8 GHz, 1080ti, 16 GB RAM, HP reverb Pro.

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

• 1 month later...

**New PiTool**

Pitool Download

Pitool

Release Date: 2021/03/03

Version: v1.0.1.269

File Size: 118MB

Download

New Features:

1.Add Amazon User feedback channel.

2.Optimize application's compatibility.

3.Optimze some headset models' compatibility.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Patrick

I've been running the new firmware and recommended Nvidia driver since Friday,It is smooth as silk with no screen flickering at all....This is the best DCS has ever ran on my Pimax 8KX since I got it a yr ago. 

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Patrick