DCS and Pimax

I recently ordered 8KX and base stations. I havent really got a grip of the controllers.

Pimax own is not out yet...

Which controllers can I use with the Pimax and which one is recommended ?

(Starting to feel I might have done a misstake, not ordering the knuckles togheter with the pimax...)

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II ]

i9 9900KS@5.2/32Gb@3200/ ASUS ROG STRIX RTX3090 OC, ASUS STRIX Z390-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For those interested, I have posted all my settings on this thread I started.  Getting anywhere between 50 and 60FPS on just about every map.  Some times it dips to 45, but usually sticking around 50

Dear all,   While it's too early to know exactly what will come from it, we are in touch with Pimax regarding their 8K system and how we can best cooperate for an amazing DCS VR experience.   Thanks

For the ground that can be pretty normal since DCS always has a FPS hit on the ground/low altitude. Start a free flight in the air to see what it is. Even then I doubt you'll be able to hold 80 fps

I recently ordered 8KX and base stations. I havent really got a grip of the controllers.

Pimax own is not out yet...

Which controllers can I use with the Pimax and which one is recommended ?

(Starting to feel I might have done a misstake, not ordering the knuckles togheter with the pimax...)

The knuckles will work as will the at least the 2.0 Vive wands. There is a 1.0 and 2.0 wands (2018) and IIRC 2.0 wands are blue. I believe Pimax is sending the 2.0 "lighthouse" base stations which is only supposed to work with the 2.0 wands and knuckles.

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

I7-9700KF@5ghz, 32GB DDR4 3200, RTX 3090, Pimax 5k+, Virpil T-50CM2 base with Warthog, F/A-18, T-50cm, and VFX grips, Saitek X65F, Saitek Switch Panel, TM Cougar MFDs, TM TPR pedals, JetSeat and bass pucks, H640P for VRK, PointCtrl

3rd Space Vest project for basic G Seat/G Suit simulation

Anybody has 3090 and Pimax 8KX yet? I’m curious about image fidelity and Performance/fps, also want to know if eye tracking/foveated rendering works with DCS.

PC: 9900K/3090, 32GB RAM.

Joystick bases: TMWx2, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMWx2, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant

VR: HTC Vive/Pro/Oculus Rift/Valve Index/Quest 2

Friend of mine got the eye tracker for his 5k+, and it drops fps in DCS by 20%. So yeah, don't look to that for an improvement! I was quite keen to get eye tracking for my 5k+, but that is now a hard pass.

Pimax say it will only help when you are GPU bound.

7700K@5Ghz, 32GB 3600 CL16, 3080.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, new DCS player here (<90h) and aspiring VR user.

I've been doing some really deep research about the best VR options for DCS, and I'm more interested on the Pimax 5K+ over the HP Reverb G2, due to its large FOV (I also do simracing). However I'm not convinced yet that the visual clarity of the Pimax 5K+ is sufficient for reading HUD and MFDs texts without having to zoom, and also to spot ground enemies (I love doing Air-to-Ground missions).

So, I'd like to know your opinion on these topics, is the 5K+ good enough in terms of clarity for small HUD and cockpit elements, as well as for spotting ground units, or should I go for something with more resolution, like the Reverb G2?

I have never experienced VR, so I don't really know how good or bad a "standard" 100° FOV looks like when compared to the Pimax FOV...

I have a 5k+. It looks just fine, but obviously can't compete with 4k panels for resolution. You will be giving up detail. However, in the hornet, it is pretty good. I'd say it's good enough without being GREAT. You will have to lean in a bit to see smaller details on MFDs, but the rest is very good. I have no real complaints with it.

However, you do get the wide FoV. I can't give that up. I'd rather lean in now and then, than look through scuba goggles again. The wide FoV is much more immersive for me. Others will disagree ofc.

So I'm waiting to see if 8kX gets a price drop, or even better, a quality competitor comes out with something similar.

Dunno if that helps you or not.

Questions for you guys.If i buy a 3090 or new amd graphic card (6900...?) ,do i need to change the motherboard?I have a 390z one with 9900K and Oculus Rift S.PSU is Corsair 1200w.Just want to put higher DCS fluidity without buying a new big rig for that.Thank's a lot!

Questions for you guys.If i buy a 3090 or new amd graphic card (6900...?) ,do i need to change the motherboard?I have a 390z one with 9900K and Oculus Rift S.PSU is Corsair 1200w.Just want to put higher DCS fluidity without buying a new big rig for that.Thank's a lot!

No need to change the motherboard for a 3090(or 3080). You will be fine.

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II ]

i9 9900KS@5.2/32Gb@3200/ ASUS ROG STRIX RTX3090 OC, ASUS STRIX Z390-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

I have a 5k+. It looks just fine, but obviously can't compete with 4k panels for resolution. You will be giving up detail. However, in the hornet, it is pretty good. I'd say it's good enough without being GREAT. You will have to lean in a bit to see smaller details on MFDs, but the rest is very good. I have no real complaints with it.

However, you do get the wide FoV. I can't give that up. I'd rather lean in now and then, than look through scuba goggles again. The wide FoV is much more immersive for me. Others will disagree ofc.

So I'm waiting to see if 8kX gets a price drop, or even better, a quality competitor comes out with something similar.

Dunno if that helps you or not.

It does help, thanks! Would you say it's possible to identify SAM launches and enemy AA missiles quickly, or due to the reasonable lack of visual clarity this is something that gets a bit more difficult?

Edited by williamzporto

Agreed, where the Pimax shines is FOV. I love the large FOV and everytime I put my Rift S back on I'm so underwhelmed even though it has slightly less SDE. I don't get all the hype on the Reverb G2, the extra Pimax FOV for me has been well worth it! In BFM it is much easier to get a tally on the bandit. SAM smoke trails are also easier to spot. Overall my neck gets far less of a workout I've noticed because I don't need to find stuff on the soda straw of the Rift S. See the inbound missiles without smoke trails are still hard though.

I have a similar system and the 3090 has made a big difference for me as well form my 1080 Ti.

Edited by Snake122

I7-9700KF@5ghz, 32GB DDR4 3200, RTX 3090, Pimax 5k+, Virpil T-50CM2 base with Warthog, F/A-18, T-50cm, and VFX grips, Saitek X65F, Saitek Switch Panel, TM Cougar MFDs, TM TPR pedals, JetSeat and bass pucks, H640P for VRK, PointCtrl

It does help, thanks! Would you say it's possible to identify SAM launches and enemy AA missiles quickly, or due to the reasonable lack of visual clarity this is something that gets a bit more difficult?

Visually spotting enemy missiles from a distance is a bit screwed atm. But mostly because of how DCS draws stuff. If you're close to a SAM (<10nm for example), you can see it easily. But go just a little further away, and DCS stops rendering it completely. Zoom in, and you can see the smoke trails again, etc. It's more a DCS problem, not VR resolution imho.

It's the same with aircraft. Look in the direction of approaching aircraft, you see nothing. Zoom in, and suddenly you see contrails. You should see them without any zoom of course, just smaller.

So if you are looking in the right area and zoomed in a bit, SAM launches are very obvious. Zoom out, and you might see nothing.

Spotting ground targets is tricky. I use the TGP to help or do all my attacks.

Also I must admit I have broken down and accepted that VR (and most monitors at normal viewing distance except 4k <30" size) means you have less that 20/20 vision on screen, even with a 8k+ or G2, etc. So I have experimented with a custom .Lua for dot only labels that turn on at only the realistic ranges and I'm happy with that compromise so far.

Also I must admit I have broken down and accepted that VR (and most monitors at normal viewing distance except 4k <30" size) means you have less that 20/20 vision on screen, even with a 8k+ or G2, etc. So I have experimented with a custom .Lua for dot only labels that turn on at only the realistic ranges

I see many here complaining about visual detection range. I began with oculus rift and while first gen consumer VR set sometimes made it hard to spot things far away I experience the HP reverb actually give me longer detection range than I have in real life flying.

I think most people overestimate by far the actual distance where you can see and detect another aircraft. A normal range would be 5 miles, maybe 10. This in very clear air that give you unlimited visibility( we often have this far north were I live). Rest of the world most often give a visibility thats only a fraction of this).

In many places a really nice day gives perhaps 10 to 20miles visibility maximum.

You can not see another aircraft beyond the visibility, in fact its hard to detect one thats half that range.

With the reverb I see aircrafts quite far away.

I see many here complaining about visual detection range. I began with oculus rift and while first gen consumer VR set sometimes made it hard to spot things far away I experience the HP reverb actually give me longer detection range than I have in real life flying.

I think most people overestimate by far the actual distance where you can see and detect another aircraft. A normal range would be 5 miles, maybe 10. This in very clear air that give you unlimited visibility( we often have this far north were I live). Rest of the world most often give a visibility thats only a fraction of this).

In many places a really nice day gives perhaps 10 to 20miles visibility maximum.

You can not see another aircraft beyond the visibility, in fact its hard to detect one thats half that range.

With the reverb I see aircrafts quite far away.

I agree that DCS seems to overestimate visual ranges of aircraft especially, which is why my labels.lua ranges are far less than default. The one I actually feel the worst about is the friendly/bandit IDs at different ranges (which are far closer than default DCS still). I think back to Col. Cesar “Rico” Rodriguez havjng to merge on his second Mig-29 kill to VID it because it looks so similar to a F-15 and F/A-18 at distance. On the other hand, if it was a Su-22/27 or Mig-21/23, he would have probably been to VID well before the merge.

Right now that blue/red fill is at 3500m (1.88nm) in my labels.lua where as that is 5000m by default and think I'm going to turn it down to 2500m (1.34 nm). The aircraft labels right now turn off then so I can get good gun tracks, so that might go down to 1850m (1nm). But I definitely know that my overall VID range is less than RL in VR...

There are some other things that I've seen from my real life flying experience as just a career civilian flight instructor with about 3000 hours that still make VR not feel like enough, but I would love to hear your experiences too. For instance, there are times I've been able to ID aircraft types from that 1.88nm far away that are fighter size, not to mention larger aircraft (I still have around 20/20-20/15 distance vision). One of the other things is that ground vehicles in real life always seem to be easier to pick out in my opinion, granted I spend most of my flights in what jets would call the weeds and I'm not looking at camouflaged military vehicles, but I also see off road vehicles kick up more dust that what DCS does and leave visible trails through fields. If you are taking the DCS dot only labels and getting rid of the super far dot and turning everything else down by at least 50%, I think it is a realistic trade so far.

Agreed, where the Pimax shines is FOV. I love the large FOV and everytime I put my Rift S back on I'm so underwhelmed even though it has slightly less SDE. I don't get all the hype on the Reverb G2, the extra Pimax FOV for me has been well worth it! In BFM it is much easier to get a tally on the bandit. SAM smoke trails are also easier to spot. Overall my neck gets far less of a workout I've noticed because I don't need to find stuff on the soda straw of the Rift S. See the inbound missiles without smoke trails are still hard though.

I have a similar system and the 3090 has made a big difference for me as well form my 1080 Ti.

It's a matter of priority. Current Reverb has better clarity than 5K+ (I've had both). And G2 is supposed to have better clarity through lens design among other things. As MRTV put it, "blown away" so we'll see.

And of course, I prioritized clarity over wider FoV (and honestly, more mature software)

But I'd be lying if I didn't say that I miss the wider FoV

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

If you are taking the DCS dot only labels

I use no labels at all and think its quite ok.

I use no labels at all and think its quite ok.

Maybe that's the difference between the 5k+ and the Reverb. Just saying, all of my VR experience (5k+, Rift CV1 and S) has never made me feel like I'm getting the same visual acuity than in real flight. But the stereo depth of perception and 1:1 headtracking make it a must use for me. It's hard for to do the PPI visual acuity math with VR because you need to know focal distance and magnification of lenses, but the Reverb does have double the PPI compared to the 5k+ but I don't know if that's enough to get to 20/20. I think there are VR eyecharts but I can't trust the effective distance with all the variables.

I would also recommend the DCS 3dmigoto mod for Pimax users and label users. It allows you to move the NVG circles to a usable location and size them down to realistic levels (or not). If you are using labels, it masks them with the cockpit so you for both realism/reading the cockpit.

I would prefer the Smart Scaling feature that one of the other sims has and even DCS used to have over labels. But modified dots are what I've settled for now.

Maybe that's the difference between the 5k+ and the Reverb. Just saying, all of my VR experience (5k+, Rift CV1 and S) has never made me feel like I'm getting the same visual acuity than in real flight. ith the cockpit so you for both realism/reading the cockpit.

No, the visual acuity isnt on long ways as full 20/20 Eyes, not yet and not for long I guess.

But that isnt the same as seeing other aircrafts on shorter distance, it is depending on how DCS draws a aircraft.

Also, in real life you have (should have) 20/20 eyes and then you can see more of the aircrafts shape and possibly ident the type further than in DCS.

With the Reverb at least its mostly possible to detect another aircraft furter away than in real life said from my experience as airforce pilot, 30 years/6K hours.

[Edit] I have an example from todays maintanence test flight I did. After leaving the control zone we got flight i formation from the tower about a small civilian aircraft( Cessna or other 90knots bug smasher) same altitude and we got it related to two places on ground it was training around. Distance on the moving map was 5Nm to the closest place and 10Nm to the furthest place.

we vouldnt see this aircraft, despite two pilots with 20/20 vision and a sparkling sun with very clear winter weather. We tried to descend to low level to get it in sight but no joy. We didnt need to see it but had the opportunity to try to, for the purpose of this issue.[End edit].

I know, with first gennVR(oculus rift for example) it was hard to detect but due to low resolution.

With the Reverbs, its way better.

One problem I see in this VR section of the forum is that people believe you can see another fighter at 20 or 30 miles in real life and then the complaints is about VR being bad.

I think maybe the reference is to 2D DCS and maybe DCS overdo the visual range on a flat screen(havent really played it in 2D).

Another thing is people dont know how hard it is to detect other aircrafts far away.

Edited by Gunnars Driver

No, the visual acuity isnt on long ways as full 20/20 Eyes, not yet and not for long I guess.

But that isnt the same as seeing other aircrafts on shorter distance, it is depending on how DCS draws a aircraft.

Also, in real life you have (should have) 20/20 eyes and then you can see more of the aircrafts shape and possibly ident the type further than in DCS.

Yes definitely agreed, it's the details that you can't make out with pixelated blobs. I was watching a Cessna in the pattern the other day just under 1nm and the level of detail is nowhere what you get. That's what I'm trying to replicate, not the detection ranges.

With the Reverb at least its mostly possible to detect another aircraft furter away than in real life said from my experience as airforce pilot, 30 years/6K hours.

[Edit] I have an example from todays maintanence test flight I did. After leaving the control zone we got flight i formation from the tower about a small civilian aircraft( Cessna or other 90knots bug smasher) same altitude and we got it related to two places on ground it was training around. Distance on the moving map was 5Nm to the closest place and 10Nm to the furthest place.

we vouldnt see this aircraft, despite two pilots with 20/20 vision and a sparkling sun with very clear winter weather. We tried to descend to low level to get it in sight but no joy. We didnt need to see it but had the opportunity to try to, for the purpose of this issue.[End edit].

Getting the visual contact is always the hardest but then sometimes is the padlock too. Sometime you should come fly one of those bug smashers, their more fun than you think :lol:. Agreed though that long range air traffic is much further than real life. But it's the middle/close range size details plus ground vehicles that seem to be lacking. But it again it could be my low altitude experience bias on the ground vehicles.

I know, with first gennVR(oculus rift for example) it was hard to detect but due to low resolution.

With the Reverbs, its way better.

Agreed still with PiMax and Rift S over CV1. But Reverb should still have the edge in acuity.

One problem I see in this VR section of the forum is that people believe you can see another fighter at 20 or 30 miles in real life and then the complaints is about VR being bad.

I think maybe the reference is to 2D DCS and maybe DCS overdo the visual range on a flat screen(havent really played it in 2D).

Another thing is people dont know how hard it is to detect other aircrafts far away.

Yes long range visual range is exaggerated. It's middle ranges that my dot labels have played with and actually removed the longest range ones. You can still sometimes pickup the non-label dot and have the labels tweaked have really actually shown me that. I'll look inside a TD box and see the few pixel plane and then realize that my dot labels are not on it and then see something over 10nm in the range and know that the standard effect is too big. All of these dot label mods are under 8nm and most of the effects are around 3nm where your 20/20 acuity would be starting to get better details that you can't in VR.

• Like 1

Yes definitely agreed, it's the details that you can't make out with pixelated blobs.

Agreed still with PiMax and Rift S over CV1. But Reverb should still have the edge in acuity.

Yes, we have a long way until the VR systems reach the retina resolution.

just got the 8KX the other day so I cannot really say for sure but it looks like 8KX has more fill density in each pixel making it more clear than Reverb G1(have it too).

Getting the visual contact is always the hardest

Yes, first eye contact can be really tricky and there I think a lot of users domt really understand the real situation. Also, training helps a lot with this ( in real life, not 100% transfereble to DCS/VR) and I guess the most DCS dont have that training.

QUOTE=Snake122;n7117632]

Sometime you should come fly one of those bug smashers, their more fun than you think :lol:.

I did fly fixed wing and I also have some civilian time, among these also 90kt Bug smashers :-)

Yes, it can be really fun and in many cases its more about real flying than with bigger aircrafts.

(no pun intended, I just find the expression so fun I had to use it. I know it sometimes used to bully others, but please dont take it that way. I have the greatest respect for everyone flying, and also for the ones doing DCS only).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
I've got an 8KX sitting in the box here, been waiting to get my hands on a 3090. I should pull it out and just see what it can do with my 1080ti.

I did a few tests with my 2080ti together with the 8KX, but as my 3090 arrived only a few days after the 8KX, I didnt tune anything.

The 3090 is fine even with some high settings in normal FOV but the 2080ti do struggle.

It would probably had been possible to get it to run ok with lower settings.

I guess a 1080ti would have a hard job but with low settings and not widest FOV it might work ok.

Glad to hear the 3090 seems to be a game changer. Whats your settings? Do you run it with 100% steam SSS setting, which should be the same as the native 8KX resolution. Can you let us know what exact resolution steamVR is showing? Does it run a standard mission, free flight of the SU 25, with 75 fps @ 75 Hz without stutters? Really curious about what we can get with a 8KX and a 3090.

Glad to hear the 3090 seems to be a game changer. Whats your settings? Do you run it with 100% steam SSS setting, which should be the same as the native 8KX resolution. Can you let us know what exact resolution steamVR is showing? Does it run a standard mission, free flight of the SU 25, with 75 fps @ 75 Hz without stutters? Really curious about what we can get with a 8KX and a 3090.

I know it is generally the go to baseline, but I wouldn't recommend the Su-25T free flight mission necessarily. There is something weird going on there with my 3090. I saw no improvement in that mission going from 1080Ti to 3090 even though in other non-CPU bound missions I saw an about 40% improvement.