DCS and Pimax

Does anyone have problem with flickering textures on the ground in night conditions? Especially where the cities with light are. Ive got last Nvidia drivers and last beta Pitool. (very noticeable in quick action with Huey - night flight)

Switching to CV1 and everything is OK. Strange...

PC: i5 8600k @4.5GHz, 32GB RAM 3200MHz, GTX 3080, VR HP Reverb G2

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm sure you'll find 10 different opinions from 10 different HMD users.I only have The Pimax 8kx.and before that The Pimax 5k+and before that Oculas CV1...The Big difference for me is The Wide FOV Pim

For those interested, I have posted all my settings on this thread I started.  Getting anywhere between 50 and 60FPS on just about every map.  Some times it dips to 45, but usually sticking around 50

Dear all,   While it's too early to know exactly what will come from it, we are in touch with Pimax regarding their 8K system and how we can best cooperate for an amazing DCS VR experience.   Thanks

Ok I have found solution. Parallel projection must be unchecked in pitool. I didn't expect that DCS team will handle that ;) Nice

Wysłane z mojego SM-G960F przy użyciu Tapatalka

New problem. Installed the latest version of pitool. Now, when i opt to wait to start room setup as i have no base station, i get the message "place the helmet in the visible,,,,,etc"

So, now the 5+ requires a base station to work.

Anyone know how to make the headset use the built in gyro instead ?

Intel Core i7­6700K, 32GB DDR4, 512GB PCIe SSD + 2TB HDD, GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Pimax 5k+

DCS at 45fps(smoothing) in a 5k+ is unplayable for me. In straight&level it's fine, even looking around cockpit, but as soon as I roll the judders from smoothing are just completely game breaking. Any suggestions on how to address this?

Specs seems like they'd be good enough lol: 9900K 5.0/RTX2080Ti oced/ 32GB RAM etc etc....

Settings: Mostly low or Off other than cockpit textures HIGH. SS 1.0/PiTOOL 1.0

New problem. Installed the latest version of pitool. Now, when i opt to wait to start room setup as i have no base station, i get the message "place the helmet in the visible,,,,,etc"

So, now the 5+ requires a base station to work.

Anyone know how to make the headset use the built in gyro instead ?

Maybe try to uncheck base tracking?

Wysłane z mojego SM-G390F przy użyciu Tapatalka

Smoothig never be as good as 90fps... buy better hardware ;)

Wysłane z mojego SM-G390F przy użyciu Tapatalka

Don't know if you're referring to my post, but I'm not sure what else I can buy that's faster.... Please tell me lol. I understand that smoothing won't be as good, but it's REALLY BAD right now. I've used Vive/Vive Pro, and Rift prior to the pimax and don't ever remember the judder to be THIS bad.... I think something else is going on is what I'm saying. No way people play like this...

I play with smoothing in 32 fps... but mostly with my squad of Mi8's so everything is slower than in a plane. Pimax is not there with their software, but make nice progress. Maybe we have to wait for 4080ti or some more optimizations by DCS team. Try also last beta pitool.

I agree, the Pitool software is still pretty green but they are working on it and the move to open source can lead to good things in the future. After some considerable experimentation I find that I can run very smoothly with high settings and get a rock solid 36 fps, equating to the 72 Hz setting in Pitool, with large FOV. It's a very satisfying experience. I recently played around with the vertical offset and that improved clarity significantly for me, especially guages and instruments.

- 'The Dog's Rollocks' - [sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] is a water cooled behemoth :

i9 9900K@5GHz/RTX 2080Ti/32 Gb 3600MHz RAM/M.2 NVMe onboard drives/System driving Pimax 5K Plus/TM Warthog/MFG Crosswind/Gametrix Jetseat

I recently played around with the vertical offset and that improved clarity significantly for me, especially guages and instruments.

How do you adjust vertical offset? What values worked best for you ?

Intel i9 7980XE @4.4Hz

64GB DDR4 RAM at 2666MHz

GTX 1080Ti with 11GB GDDR5X

Reverb Pro HMD

HOTAS: TM Warthog throttle / TM F18 Grip

Dual H640P Huion tablets used with VRK (Virtual Kneeboard ) software

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

DOF Reality P6, 6 axis Motion Platform

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The vertical offset slider is just one of the parameters you can change on the two pages of the Pitool software which contain settings, similarly you can change brightness and contrast which I also did. I put in a value of +2 on the vertical offset and this seems to move the sweetspot more into the area where you want it, ie around the cockpit guages.

- 'The Dog's Rollocks' - [sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] is a water cooled behemoth :

i9 9900K@5GHz/RTX 2080Ti/32 Gb 3600MHz RAM/M.2 NVMe onboard drives/System driving Pimax 5K Plus/TM Warthog/MFG Crosswind/Gametrix Jetseat

The vertical offset slider is just one of the parameters you can change on the two pages of the Pitool software which contain settings, similarly you can change brightness and contrast which I also did. I put in a value of +2 on the vertical offset and this seems to move the sweetspot more into the area where you want it, ie around the cockpit guages.

That´s a very individual option to adjust with the new Pitool version, i think.

Still am wondering about, why Pimax always separate their options from left to right eye?

Like brightness etc. is also separated from left to right eye ... the separation would be a funny feature for chameleons, but humans?

With vertical offset the viewport could be adjusted more precisely on how the headset is individually fixed on the face by wearing, by moving the viewport vertically, to maintain the natural focus line in VR when looking straight ahead, the viewport in VR should show accordingly and not off set.... nice little feature.

Meanwhile I´ve set Pimax to ´normal´ FOV, to save some more performance - the difference between Large and Normal is really not so much and looking forward to a new VR headset, the FOV will be less than Pimax large FOV anyway.

Adjusting the viewport angles in DCS´ stereo.lua to large- or normal-FOV tangent space of the Pimax gives me more the impression of an improved image quality, than vertical offset adjustment.

Would be also interesting with which FOV the new Vive Cosmos will come. I like very much the idea of an internal ventilation system of the Cosmos, as I always have problems with misted lenses after some time of wearing.

Appreciate that. It helped.

Intel i9 7980XE @4.4Hz

64GB DDR4 RAM at 2666MHz

GTX 1080Ti with 11GB GDDR5X

Reverb Pro HMD

HOTAS: TM Warthog throttle / TM F18 Grip

Dual H640P Huion tablets used with VRK (Virtual Kneeboard ) software

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

DOF Reality P6, 6 axis Motion Platform

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Adjusting the viewport angles in DCS´ stereo.lua to large- or normal-FOV tangent space of the Pimax gives me more the impression of an improved image quality, than vertical offset adjustment.

Could you explain, please, how to do it and what values.

Still am wondering about, why Pimax always separate their options from left to right eye?

Like brightness etc. is also separated from left to right eye ... the separation would be a funny feature for chameleons, but humans?

I think it's to adjust for any slight differences people might be experiencing with the left and right panels. Apparently some panels will be slightly less bright or have a slightly different color tone out of the factory.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

I don't own a Pimax and have no experience with their software but one thing I've contemplated is that a persons face is rarely symmetrical. There is always a slight difference between left and right side of the face. Eyes not equal distance to the nose, ears on different height and so on so forth. I see a possibility that the option to set preferences for each lens is actually a bonus in regards to this. If the IPD also was possible to adjust per eye it would be optimal. Just my 2 cents.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

_____________Semper paratus, In hoc signo vinces________________

PC: Intel i7-8700K (4.9 GHz), Aorus Ultra Gaming Z370 MB, Aorus GTX 1080Ti (1.7 GHz/1.1 GHz), 32 GB DDR3 (3,2 GHz), Samsung EVO 860 M.2 500 GB SSD + Samsung 960 M.2 250 GB SSD Gaming: TM HOTAS WH, Crosswind pedals, HP Reverb

That´s all true and the many options with Pitool are appreciated, but is there really a need to adjust such as brightness for the left panel differently from the right panel, as the image in VR will be always perceived as one/ combination of left and right eye? To me it appears a bit like playing around with some easy to implement options, without the absolutely need for these options - but that´s more personal view, than complaining.

Ironacilly the IPD setting is not separated for each eye - me too got an IPD of 32 / 31,5 ( eye to center of the nose ).

@Icebeat

take a look at attached link/spreadsheet for values. A few sides back in this thread, there are some detailed comments on editing the stereo.lua. It´s more experimenting from my side, than well-founded knowledge. With some things I might be wrong, like editing the native resolution of the Pimax in the stereo.lua, but editing the tangents and aspect in the stereo.lua does have an effect on the image. By default it seems to be a bit off for the Pimax, vertically pressed like putting a 4:3 picture on a 16:9 screen, which also has an negative effect on how the 3-D effect appears.

But you should try to experiment for yourself and have some own conclusions... would be interesting to read of those.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1q7Va5Q6iU40CGgewoEqRAeypUa1c0zZ86mqR8uIyDeE/edit#gid=0

Edit: BTW, sorry for the weird phrasing in the post before ... just wanted to foward a sudden thought on the matter while being busy with other stuff on the PC. While hacking in, some more thoughts came up and the fingers took control over the brain ... like Jackson Pollock style - I wasn´t drunk ... hahaha.

Edited by - Voight -
  • 2 weeks later...

I think it is both ;) DCS engine is not so good for VR. AA doesn't work good. On the other hand Pimax could have larger resolution, but... we have to wait for 4080ti ;)

A small step-by-step guide for better clarity/3-D effect and performance with Pimax5k+:

1.) set in Pitool Render Quality to 1.0 or 1.25

2.) open with an editor the profile.json located in

c:\user\*yourusername*\AppData\Local\Pimax\runtime\profile.json

set the value in line "FOV_outer_adjust_degree" : -2.32

( default value is "10" instead of -2.32 )

save and close the profile.json.

Reboot windows/PC

3.) start SteamVR

Under ´Video´ enable ´manual override´ and set the slider to 30%.

if you have set render quality in Pitool at 1.0, steamVR at 30% should now result in a render

resolution of 2560 x 1440. If you have set render quality in Pitool at 1.25, steamvr should now result in a render resolution of 3200 x 1800.

I would recommend to set Pitool to 1.25 render quality.

4.) open with an editor in windows administrator mode the ´stereo.lua´ located in

...\DCS\config\MonitorSetup\stereo.lua

exchange the default values with the following ones marked with color for normal FOV with Pimax5k+

_ = function(p) return p; end;

name = _('Stereo');

Description = 'Stereo render two viewports for left and right eye respectivelly'

Viewports =

{

Left =

{

x = 0;

y = 0;

width = screen.width * 0.5;

height = screen.height;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0;

aspect = screen.aspect / 2;

eye_shift = -0.032;

--tans of side angles

projection_bounds = {

left = -1.742,

right = 1.346,

top = 1.270,

bottom = -1.270,

}

},

Right =

{

x = screen.width * 0.5;

y = 0;

height = screen.height;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0;

eye_shift = 0.032;

--tans of side angles

projection_bounds = {

left = -1.346,

right = 1.742,

top = 1.270,

bottom = -1.270,

}

}

}

UIMainView = {

x = 0;

y = 0;

width = screen.width;

height = screen.height;

}

GU_MAIN_VIEWPORT = UIMainView

And for large FOV with Pimax5k+ following values:

name = _('Stereo');

Description = 'Stereo render two viewports for left and right eye respectivelly'

Viewports =

{

Left =

{

x = 0;

y = 0;

height = screen.height;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0;

eye_shift = -0.032;

--tans of side angles

projection_bounds = {

left = -2.769231,

right = 1.346154,

top = 1.269841,

bottom = -1.269841,

}

},

Right =

{x = screen.width * 0.5;

y = 0;

height = screen.height;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0;

eye_shift = 0.032;

--tans of side angles

projection_bounds = {

left = -1.346154,

right = 2.769231,

top = 1.269841,

bottom = -1.269841,

}

}

}

UIMainView = {

x = 0;

y = 0;

width = screen.width;

height = screen.height;

}

Save in administrator mode and close.

Note that the stereo.lua editing need to be done after every update of DCS.

For further image quality improvement, I would recommend to increase PD in DCS in small steps, as long as you are fine with the performance of your system/settings.

Edited by - Voight -
A small step-by-step guide for better clarity/3-D effect and performance with Pimax5k+:

1.) set in Pitool Render Quality to 1.0 or 1.25

2.) open with an editor the profile.json located in

c:\user\*yourusername*\AppData\Local\Pimax\runtime\profile.json

set the value in line "FOV_outer_adjust_degree" : -2.32

( default value is "10" instead of -2.32 )

save and close the profile.json.

Reboot windows/PC

3.) start SteamVR

Under ´Video´ enable ´manual override´ and set the slider to 30%.

if you have set render quality in Pitool at 1.0, steamVR at 30% should now result in a render

resolution of 2560 x 1440. If you have set render quality in Pitool at 1.25, steamvr should now result in a render resolution of 3200 x 1800.

I would recommend to set Pitool to 1.25 render quality.

4.) open with an editor in windows administrator mode the ´stereo.lua´ located in

...\DCS\config\MonitorSetup\stereo.lua

exchange the default values with the following ones marked with color for normal FOV with Pimax5k+

name = _('Stereo');

Viewports =

{

Left =

{

x = 0;

y = 0;

height = screen.height;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0;

eye_shift = -0.032;

--tans of side angles

projection_bounds = {

left = -1.742,

right = 1.346,

top = 1.270,

bottom = -1.270,

}

},

Right =

{

x = screen.width * 0.5;

y = 0;

height = screen.height;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0;

eye_shift = 0.032;

--tans of side angles

projection_bounds = {

left = -1.346,

right = 1.742,

top = 1.270,

bottom = -1.270,

}

}

}

UIMainView = {

x = 0;

y = 0;

width = screen.width;

height = screen.height;

}

And for large FOV with Pimax5k+ following values:

name = _('Stereo');

Viewports =

{

Left =

{

x = 0;

y = 0;

height = screen.height;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0;

eye_shift = -0.032;

--tans of side angles

projection_bounds = {

left = -2.769231,

right = 1.346154,

top = 1.269841,

bottom = -1.269841,

}

},

Right =

{x = screen.width * 0.5;

y = 0;

height = screen.height;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0;

eye_shift = 0.032;

--tans of side angles

projection_bounds = {

left = -1.346154,

right = 2.769231,

top = 1.269841,

bottom = -1.269841,

}

}

}

UIMainView = {

x = 0;

y = 0;

width = screen.width;

height = screen.height;

}

Save in administrator mode and close.

Note that the stereo.lua editing need to be done after every update of DCS.

For further image quality improvement, I would recommend to increase PD in DCS in small steps, as long as you are fine with the performance of your system/settings.

Interesting! I love my PIMAX 5k plus will try this but I don't use Steam at all when playing DCS in VR

Interesting! I love my PIMAX 5k plus will try this but I don't use Steam at all when playing DCS in VR

Steam is only needed because you do need SteamVR, but SteamVR does not need to be executed to run the Pimax with DCS, but SteamVR ist still inactively determining the render resolution you´ve configured in SteamVR.

edit: wait... do you mean you don´t have steam or steamVR on your system and run the Pimax natively with DCS? Have never tried if this is possible ...

Edited by - Voight -

My steam VR automatically starts with DCS.

I made the above changes, but no matter what it just would not hold that -2.32 value, it kept going back to 10 every time I started pitool. I made the .json file "read only" after editing it, and for now it's working. Thanks!

Is there a way to fix the stupid bug where I see a cloud with one eye, but not the other?

Moe "Moespeeds" Colontonio

vVMA 231

http://www.vvma-231.com/

Looking for a serious US based Harrier Squadron? We are recruiting!